Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic solar PV quotes 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Zenith74

Anybody who had a system installed recently received the grant from SEAI? My paperwork went in about 4 weeks ago but it is still pending, curious what the norm is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

It took me a bit more than 2 months to get the money in the bank. You can call them to find out what stage your application is at. You might be able to move things along that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

My grant was paid in a month, my installer was stunned how quick it was.
    Just lucky I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Winterman1234

Zenith74 wrote: »
    Anybody who had a system installed recently received the grant from SEAI? My paperwork went in about 4 weeks ago but it is still pending, curious what the norm is.

Mines went in about 3 weeks ago, got an email on.monday to say information was missing. It was on one of the installer section he had forgot to put in company name in one of the 4 boxes that has to be completed after installation. Going around in circles now, he fills it in, I ring seai but they cant see it, say get installer to complete the missing information, not overly helpful. This is the new grant, anyone have similar problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Hi all,

Any ideas how much it would roughly cost to supply and install 10 solar panels on a steel shed.

Power cable is ready to go so it would just be 10 x panels and the inverter plus any other electrics required.

Grant not applicable.

Cheers

• Advertisement

Just keep at it winterman. I had a few back and forths between installer and SEAI. Eventually got sorted but missing documentation is a common issue. SEAI is rather particular and installers are often not as diligent as you would want.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Bif

Folks,
    Hope someone can help...If I have 2kw of PV panels what is the % average output over a year on a 40 degree south facing roof? Many thanks.

https://aces.nmsu.edu/pubs/_circulars/CR674/CR674.xlsm

Average is a useless number as you will get 5-10 times the production in June as is December. Rule of thumb in Ireland is 1000kWh of production for every kWp installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭championc

Bif wrote: »
    Folks,
    Hope someone can help...If I have 2kw of PV panels what is the % average output over a year on a 40 degree south facing roof? Many thanks.

Look at the Solar PV Performance Thread, to get some indication as to how well your system is performing.

But based on my own 2.7kw system, which is on a 22 deg South facing roof, the difference in the output of 10 degrees of the sun height has been fairly massive.

I'd guess, if you were close to South facing, you should be producing at least 1.5kw at high noon now (or when the panels are directed straight towards the sun)

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Gazzler82

so for the hooley over the weekend i produced a net present value calculation on a solar system. In theory - once this figure is positive you proceed - if its negative - you don't.

In theory this is what one should use when making an investment decision.

first health warning - i know a lot on the theory of this but never practically produced one before.

It has a number of advantages over the "payback" method but most importantly it accounts for the time value of money.
    Given a PV system should last 25 years and most paybacks mentioned are less than 15 years it makes perfect sense to always install...however i didn't see much mention of replacement of inverter/batteries/degradation of solar performance.

2nd Health warning - there are lots of assumptions in the model - change the inputs/change the output NPV
    all increase in pricing is linear- though one could change this for random changes in years ahead (which is the advantage that an NPV calculation has over say ROI or Internal rate of return (IRR))

so to it then - all boxes highlight in yellow (i've attempted to lock the rest of the spreadsheet - never did this before either) can be changed by a user.
    system size in KWh - this is multiple by 1000 per Garo above for annual production
    panel degradation - on your spec sheet stick in the value in year 25- annual interpolation is then done to reduce annual production
    Cost - to you inclusive of grant
    % used - how much of production you actually use (i'm going for no battery - with battery this will be higher so accounted for here) - i'm assume 35% as someone at home 4 days a week and changing the wmaching/dryer/dishwasher cycle
    Start energy cost - what your unit cost rate is (ie your saving) 15c for me
    energy cost increase - annual expected increase in unit electricity cost - gone for 5%
    FIT - of there is ever one (assumed flat) - 5c per unit
    Discount rate - the most important factor - this equates future cashflows in todays terms - higher discount rate means future cashflows (savings) are worth less in todays terms - in theory should be the investment hurdle rate/opportunity return given up/cost of capital - i've decided on 4% for me - (hope to average 3% salary increase/mtg rate and then an extra 1% for the risk) its a utility investment as well so these are generally regulated for low returns as well

finally there is a line which you can change - I've put in a new diverter after 10 and 20 years - just make sure to put it in as negative outlay!!

all thoughts comments queries appreciated

• Advertisement

Gazzler82 wrote: »
    so for the hooley over the weekend i produced a net present value calculation on a solar system. In theory - once this figure is positive you proceed - if its negative - you don't.

In theory this is what one should use when making an investment decision.

first health warning - i know a lot on the theory of this but never practically produced one before.

It has a number of advantages over the "payback" method but most importantly it accounts for the time value of money.
    Given a PV system should last 25 years and most paybacks mentioned are less than 15 years it makes perfect sense to always install...however i didn't see much mention of replacement of inverter/batteries/degradation of solar performance.

2nd Health warning - there are lots of assumptions in the model - change the inputs/change the output NPV
    all increase in pricing is linear- though one could change this for random changes in years ahead (which is the advantage that an NPV calculation has over say ROI or Internal rate of return (IRR))

so to it then - all boxes highlight in yellow (i've attempted to lock the rest of the spreadsheet - never did this before either) can be changed by a user.
    system size in KWh - this is multiple by 1000 per Garo above for annual production
    panel degradation - on your spec sheet stick in the value in year 25- annual interpolation is then done to reduce annual production
    Cost - to you inclusive of grant
    % used - how much of production you actually use (i'm going for no battery - with battery this will be higher so accounted for here) - i'm assume 35% as someone at home 4 days a week and changing the wmaching/dryer/dishwasher cycle
    Start energy cost - what your unit cost rate is (ie your saving) 15c for me
    energy cost increase - annual expected increase in unit electricity cost - gone for 5%
    FIT - of there is ever one (assumed flat) - 5c per unit
    Discount rate - the most important factor - this equates future cashflows in todays terms - higher discount rate means future cashflows (savings) are worth less in todays terms - in theory should be the investment hurdle rate/opportunity return given up/cost of capital - i've decided on 4% for me - (hope to average 3% salary increase/mtg rate and then an extra 1% for the risk) its a utility investment as well so these are generally regulated for low returns as well

finally there is a line which you can change - I've put in a new diverter after 10 and 20 years - just make sure to put it in as negative outlay!!

all thoughts comments queries appreciated

as a new user i can't post the link to the spreadsheet
    happy to share via PM with a Mod if they can share!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Gazzler82 wrote: »
    as a new user i can't post the link to the spreadsheet
    happy to share via PM with a Mod if they can share!!

Could you send me the link via pm. Cheers

PM me the link and I will look it over/post. I would say 35% self consumption is low if you are home 4 days a week. It does depend on your annual consumption vs installed size.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Hi all,

I'm looking to buy about 200-300w of solar panels for an off grid camper van.

Would anyone have recommendations on where to go for inexpensive or second hand panels?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭championc

garo wrote: »
    PM me the link and I will look it over/post. I would say 35% self consumption is low if you are home 4 days a week. It does depend on your annual consumption vs installed size.

I'm surprised at production amounts right now when the sun comes out. Our house daytime "idle" state is possibly under 400w so my 2.7kw system is well and truely exceeding this when it's even hazy sunshine. My roof is quite flat (only 22deg) so any in the 30's would be over 65% even this early in the year I would have thought. I'm sure most systems will show the power produced and consumed.

Mine currently says that my monthly self use rate is 38.62%. This will decrease as production gets higher. Thankfully for me, the remaining 61.38% goes to my batteries, but it won't be long before i'll be exporting loads to the grid I reckon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm looking to buy about 200-300w of solar panels for an off grid camper van.

Would anyone have recommendations on where to go for inexpensive or second hand panels?

Thanks!

Check on amazon and some UK sites, they have little kits available for caravans that would be best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Shefwedfan wrote:
    Check on amazon and some UK sites, they have little kits available for caravans that would be best option.

What about a single 330w panel from the likes of Solartricity?

garo wrote: »

Avg last 2 years has been 5600kw
    Have quotes in at 3kw and 4kw systems at moment and expecting 2 more in. 3kw is winning at the moment!

championc wrote: »
    I'm surprised at production amounts right now when the sun comes out. Our house daytime "idle" state is possibly under 400w so my 2.7kw system is well and truely exceeding this when it's even hazy sunshine. My roof is quite flat (only 22deg) so any in the 30's would be over 65% even this early in the year I would have thought. I'm sure most systems will show the power produced and consumed.

Mine currently says that my monthly self use rate is 38.62%. This will decrease as production gets higher. Thankfully for me, the remaining 61.38% goes to my batteries, but it won't be long before i'll be exporting loads to the grid I reckon

Very accurate. The name of the game is to put on the heavy electricity users such as dishwasher and dryer during peak production hours. No was you will consume all you produce from mid-April to mid-August.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭reklamos

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Quick question for those with solis inverter & pylontech battery set ups. Is it fairly straight forward to add additional batteries yourself once you're set up or would you need to be giving a leccy a shout each time you want to add one?
    It is easy enough to do that. The battery manual is pretty good. Just need to daisy chain them properly and that is it. I have 2 at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Chewbaca79

Hi again guys,

Been shopping around since my last quote and now have the following:

16 x 400w (6.4kw total output) All-Black Mono Crystalline PV Module
    1 x Solax 5kw Single Phase Standard/ Hybrid Grid Tied Inverter
    1 x Solax 5.8kw Li-Ion Battery Pack - on the advice from Garo, unkel, Zenith74 in an earlier post I have told the supplier that i didnt want a battery as I will have an EV and so planned to use any excess above base load to charge the car at home during the day.
    1 x Eddi / Iboost Power Diverter

Including standard additional items:
    1 x Projoy 4Pole Fireman Switch
    1 x Electrical Materials, Fuses, etc...
    1 x Full Install and Grid Commission
    1 x Solis Wifi Kit and Free Solis Monitoring Portal for Life
    1 x SEAI Grant Paperwork Management Including BER Assessment for the Grant.
    5 Years Labour Warranty

Total Cost (Inc. VAT, ex. SEAI Grant) €15,100
    Potential SEAI Grants: €3,000
    Net price: €12,100
    Annual Savings with 18c/kWH (25c inc): €1,625 - €1,750

As mentioned above I actually asked for the quote without the battery the supplier said there is a discounted price for the inverter and battery as a bundle package and so there is only about €500 difference with installing the inverter on its own. The original idea of not going with the battery was to use the Zappi charger I already have to charge the EV during the day as the car is parked at home most of the time - therefore negating the need for a battery. Presumably if I insist on removing the battery from the quote the grant amount will also decrease.

Would be great to get peoples thoughts overall on the competitiveness of the quote and battery yes or no?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭handpref

Chewbaca79 wrote: »
    Hi again guys,

Been shopping around since my last quote and now have the following:

16 x 400w (6.4kw total output) All-Black Mono Crystalline PV Module
    1 x Solax 5kw Single Phase Standard/ Hybrid Grid Tied Inverter
    1 x Solax 5.8kw Li-Ion Battery Pack - on the advice from Garo, unkel, Zenith74 in an earlier post I have told the supplier that i didnt want a battery as I will have an EV and so planned to use any excess above base load to charge the car at home during the day.
    1 x Eddi / Iboost Power Diverter

Including standard additional items:
    1 x Projoy 4Pole Fireman Switch
    1 x Electrical Materials, Fuses, etc...
    1 x Full Install and Grid Commission
    1 x Solis Wifi Kit and Free Solis Monitoring Portal for Life
    1 x SEAI Grant Paperwork Management Including BER Assessment for the Grant.
    5 Years Labour Warranty

Total Cost (Inc. VAT, ex. SEAI Grant) €15,100
    Potential SEAI Grants: €3,000
    Net price: €12,100

As mentioned above I actually asked for the quote without the battery the supplier said there is a discounted price for the inverter and battery as a bundle package and so there is only about €500 difference with installing the inverter on its own. The original idea of not going with the battery was to use the Zappi charger I already have to charge the EV during the day as the car is parked at home most of the time - therefore negating the need for a battery. Presumably if I insist on removing the battery from the quote the grant amount will also decrease.

Would be great to get peoples thoughts overall on the competitiveness of the quote and battery yes or no?

Cheers

What’s your orientation / roof layout ?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,213 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Without battery the grant will only be €1,800. There should be a good bit more than 500 euro difference between the prices though because you should be getting a simpler inverter not the one included in a battery bundle. They're trying to gouge you a bit there imo.

Think I got a quote yesterday from the same company, they were by far the most expensive quote I got out of the 4 companies that got back to me. 9,400 before VAT for a ten panel system with no battery or diverter. Another 3 grand or so on top of that if battery/diverter were included.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Chewbaca79

handpref wrote: »
    What’s your orientation / roof layout ?

Roof(s) orientations is south, and likely set up will be two strings of panels 8 + 8 on two south facing roofs in West Cork without shading

• Registered Users Posts: 65,230 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Chewbaca79 wrote: »

Who gave you that figure? They should be shot. Your annual saving is only a fraction of that.

Too expensive. Any reason why they are going for 400W panels? Also your annual savings are a bit too high. They are assuming almost 10k units coming from solar every year. That's crazy even with your high output. You have consumed 9k units total on average for the last 7 years. And more than half of them have been on the night rate. With that sort of a system I seriously doubt you would save even 800 p.a. Given the inflated savings number, I don't think this company/salesman is being honest with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Zenith74

I emailed SEAI the other day to chase up on my grant coming through, got an email back the very next day saying I was the proud nominee for an onsite inspection, which is to happen in a week or so. Most likely unrelated timing :)

Gah! I had the same honour. If it makes you feel better I got the grant 2 weeks after the inspection date.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,213 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Is the inspection part of the grant process or is it just something they're doing to survey what kind of installs people are getting?

• Advertisement

Gazzler82's google spreadsheet which is very useful in fugring out payback time. You can only edit the green cells.

PV Payback

Advertisement