Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic solar PV quotes 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Rua_ri

Rua_ri wrote: »
    Not sure, where can I check?
    I made my polites and said I'd discuss it with the wife.
    I take it that this is not common.

Found a list of renewable energy installer's on the seai site, they are not on it.

Lesson learned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Yeah SEAI have a full list. If they can't bother getting registered then I would be concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

I wouldn’t dismiss them out of hand. If you can, talk to any previous customers of theirs. Being registered with SEAI certainly drives up prices as you become eligible for grants.

garo wrote: »
    I wouldn’t dismiss them out of hand. If you can, talk to any previous customers of theirs. Being registered with SEAI certainly drives up prices as you become eligible for grants.

If they are on straight and narrow they would just say it up front....

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭handpref

Rua_ri wrote: »
    Found a list of renewable energy installer's on the seai site, they are not on it.

Lesson learned.

Just because they are on the SEAI list doesn’t mean that they aren’t cowboys.

I’d read through every page of this thread, make a note of prices, then read through the lines on who’s trustworthy, send some pm’s to real world people and get examples of customers experience.

I was duped in the early days, the horse was exchanged for a white Peugeot partner, the stats shown to me of other users generation should have been followed up by me actually contacting them.

Also the stats displayed were for the better months of the year- my east/west system crashes from mid October to March, at the time when I need it most. Doing it all again I wouldn’t have bothered with the batteries- I don’t even bother charging them at the night rate as others wiser than me have figured out that overall it’s not cost effective.

It’s a lot of you or your family’s cash to put forward, you have to be 100% in the person/company you choose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Rua_ri

garo wrote: »

Can I take it from this that there is a two price system in place, one without the grant and another with the grant?

Not an expert at this but that seems to be the case for most things SEAI has a grant for. The cheapest way I believe is to source the panels and other hardware yourself - there is an issue with higher VAT though - and contract someone to do the install. Unkel can fill you in on the details - though I will warn you his prices are extremely lowball so expect to pay more than he claims :D

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭spose

I did DIY install purely for cost reasons. I’m happy to pay reasonable costs for work and would expect to pay a bit extra to cover the time needed for the SEAI paperwork but it has to be realistic. In my case I would have been paying about 2k for the install with them taking the 1400 grant on top of that. It’s a very straight forward set up so would have been done in a day for 2 guys. Even being generous and calling it 2 days.. 3.5k is crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭championc

I also did a self install. You could run all the cables and just employ a sparks to do the final connections. The most difficult bit is likely to be with the panels install, as to whether on a tiled or slate roof - I'm sure slate is more difficult.

Remember, for signoff of the NC6 form, it only needs a sparks, not an SEAI installer

• Registered Users Posts: 12,096 ✭✭✭✭KCross

spose wrote: »
    I did DIY install purely for cost reasons.
    championc wrote: »
    I also did a self install.

What kWp did you self install?
    What is the final cost for same?

With recent quotes I've got from SEAI installers and the recent changes to the grant there doesnt seem to be that much between a self-install and a DIY install anymore.

If there is only a few hundred in it I'd rather a one-stop shop than having 2 or 3 parties to deal with it when problems may arise.

One hidden cost also that alot of SEAI installers seem to leave out of quotes is that you HAVE to have a BER cert to claim the grant and they dont always include that in their quotes.... so watch that extra cost too... you'd be looking at €300+ for that AFAIK.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,186 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

KCross wrote: »
    What kWp did you self install?
    What is the final cost for same?

With recent quotes I've got from SEAI installers and the recent changes to the grant there doesnt seem to be that much between a self-install and a DIY install anymore.

If there is only a few hundred in it I'd rather a one-stop shop than having 2 or 3 parties to deal with it when problems may arise.

One hidden cost also that alot of SEAI installers seem to leave out of quotes is that you HAVE to have a BER cert to claim the grant and they dont always include that in their quotes.... so watch that extra cost too... you'd be looking at €300+ for that AFAIK.

Does the BER have to be done if you have a recent one and already exceed the minimum rating before install?

Did those who did diy/non grant installs just buy kits from solartricity?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,096 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Does the BER have to be done if you have a recent one and already exceed the minimum rating before install?

I'd imagine it would do. The requirement is C or better after the panels are installed so if you are already C or better before install it should be fine.

Although the wording that SEAI use is "A post works BER is required and the cost is included in the grant amount."
    That would suggest they want an up to date BER after the install is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭_dof_

One other advantage of SEAI accredited installer is that there are minimum standards that the installation must meet, e.g. installers aren't allowed to drill through the tiles etc. The installer must take photos of the installation and upload them to the SEAI as part of the grant application. They seem to have inspectors too since my installer send me documents that I would need to show the SEAI inspector if they visited.

So for me, even if DIY install would work out cheaper, I'd be happier with an SEAI approved installation.

Mine worked out to about €4200 for 4.7kw, no battery. Sourced through local electrical wholesaler.

Mine worked out at around €3k with 2.7kw of panels. I have about 16.8kw of Lead-Acid batteries (which I got free). I have an inverter for my panels (Sofar 3000TL), and my battery bank has it's own inverter (Sofar ME3000SP), so it's essentially working like a Tesla Powerball.

I've done it with two separate inverters since I plan to get an electric car and Zappi charger, and use excess solar to charge the car during the summer and you cannot monitor solar and battery charging separately with a Hybrid inverter

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭bunderoon

spose wrote: »
    Mine worked out to about €4200 for 4.7kw, no battery. Sourced through local electrical wholesaler.

Thats including labour and after the grant?

Mine worked out at around €3k with 2.7kw of panels. I have about 16.8kw of Lead-Acid batteries (which I got free). I have an inverter for my panels (Sofar 3000TL), and my battery bank has it's own inverter (Sofar ME3000SP), so it's essentially working like a Tesla Powerball.

I've done it with two separate inverters since I plan to get an electric car and Zappi charger, and use excess solar to charge the car during the summer and you cannot monitor solar and battery charging separately with a Hybrid inverter

How does the lead acid work? is it just loads of small batteries?

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    How does the lead acid work? is it just loads of small batteries?

16 x 12v in 4 strings of 4 batteries per string

16 x 12v in 4 strings of 4 batteries per string

something like this? https://voltaconsolar.com/batteries/sunpower-classic-energy-storage/hoppecke-agm-24v-5-5kwh-battery-storage.html

Or more of a home made job?

Pic attached this time

• Advertisement

Yes you absolutely can monitor both separately. But other than that, great self install.

Also you should be able to get a BER under 300. I got mine for 220 if I am not mistaken.

Do you mind me asking - where are you storing these?

I dont have any PV yet, but am able to get 40 Lead Acid batteries that came from a UPS at work.

These:
    http://www.batteryplex.com/sheets/NP38-12R.pdf

12v 40Ah

Whats the disadvantage of lead acid battery?

bunderoon wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking - where are you storing these?

I dont have any PV yet, but am able to get 40 Lead Acid batteries that came from a UPS at work.

Grab them. Paying for batteries makes no financial sense right now. They might get you to the next generation of battery, whatever composition they might be.

I got mine from a decommissioned UPS too. They are only 3 years old which was a massive bonus. I have my whole setup in the shed. I made the battery frame with Unistrut. You'll need an angle grinder to cut the stuff but it's very strong.
    Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Whats the disadvantage of lead acid battery?

The problem with lead acid if that it's not recommended to discharge it lower than 50 or so %, although, with mine being AGM's, you could go down below 47v comfortably. So you ultimately have a huge amount of unusable power. Weight is also in excess of 0.5 tonnes

bunderoon wrote: »
    Thats including labour and after the grant?

Only labour paid for was connections by the electrician so no grant

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,186 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

What's the general consensus on getting battery systems since the changes to the grant?

I'm hunting around for quotes at the moment and was thinking of just getting a small battery (2.6kwh or so) to compliment the system so we'd get the benefit on weekday evenings in the summer. It seems to add about €1100 to a 3.8kWp system when I factor in the 900 euro additional grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,692 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Hi

Moving into new house soon in the Dublin area and interested in getting solar panels.

Reading the Solar Energy Grant section on the Seai website and also the list of registered companies

Have not read all this thread but looking for 3 quotes and see what is best. Any recommendations in the Dublin area.

Also what should I be asking them or what questions could they have for me

Complete Noobie on this so still in research mode

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭Alkers

Assumiung your €1,100 is correct:
    €1,100 @ say 15c per unit of electricity buys 7,333 units (kWh) of electricity.
    That means you have to fully cycle a 2.6kWh battery 2,820 times before you reach the break-even point for the additional cost. Allowing for one cycle per day that's over seven and a half years before you get there.
    If you don't fully cycle the battery every day, it takes longer. If the useable capacity of the battery is smaller, it takes longer. If the battery degrades, it takes longer. If FIT is introduced, it takes way longer.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    What's the general consensus on getting battery systems since the changes to the grant?

I'm hunting around for quotes at the moment and was thinking of just getting a small battery (2.6kwh or so) to compliment the system so we'd get the benefit on weekday evenings in the summer. It seems to add about €1100 to a 3.8kWp system when I factor in the 900 euro additional grant.

Get another panel and get the full 1200 grant. At 1100 the battery will take 8-10 years to pay for itself - assuming we don't get net metering or some sort of FiT. If we do, it will take longer. I like having a small battery as it smooths out consumption and let's me use a lot more solar than I would otherwise. But then I got the old grant which gained me an additional 2400. My 2.4kWh battery has stored and supplied fully 30% of my solar production since September. Wouldn't go for a larger battery though.

• Advertisement

Grab them. Paying for batteries makes no financial sense right now. They might get you to the next generation of battery, whatever composition they might be.

I got mine from a decommissioned UPS too. They are only 3 years old which was a massive bonus. I have my whole setup in the shed. I made the battery frame with Unistrut. You'll need an angle grinder to cut the stuff but it's very strong.

The problem with lead acid if that it's not recommended to discharge it lower than 50 or so %, although, with mine being AGM's, you could go down below 47v comfortably. So you ultimately have a huge amount of unusable power. Weight is also in excess of 0.5 tonnes

My nearest shed is about 30m from the house distrib board. I wonder is that too far to run the power cable?

Advertisement