Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic solar PV quotes 2018

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Evd-Burner wrote: »
    When I eventually have solar I was thinking of setting the battery to charge at night rate and discharge at day rate. You could potentially save another 50 a year :P

Don’t forget the increased standing rate for the night meter will wipe out that €50 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

kceire wrote: »
    Don’t forget the increased standing rate for the night meter will wipe out that €50 :)

Not if you already have it. And to be honest most people should, not just us EV drivers. It's not hard to shift a lot of your high use items like washers and dryers onto night use.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Not if you already have it. And to be honest most people should, not just us EV drivers. It's not hard to shift a lot of your high use items like washers and dryers onto night use.

I’m probably one of the very few that don’t have night meter as an EV owner.
    I personally never run the dishwasher or machine during the night and I charge 95% of the time in work.

But should the day come where I loose my work charging I’ll switch it straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Stefs_42

kceire wrote: »
    I’m probably one of the very few that don’t have night meter as an EV owner.
    I personally never run the dishwasher or machine during the night and I charge 95% of the time in work.

But should the day come where I loose my work charging I’ll switch it straight away.

exactly like you said. no need to switch to night meter if there is an option to charge at work. I have the same option, although I'm not an EV owner yet :D

my daily electricity usage doesn't go over 15-18 units generally and now I cover most of it by PVs, so there is no point introducing night time meter imho

• Registered Users Posts: 64,890 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Evd-Burner wrote: »
    When I eventually have solar I was thinking of setting the battery to charge at night rate and discharge at day rate. You could potentially save another 50 a year :P

I plan to do that too, particularly in winter. With a large battery (say 10kWh) you will save yourself a lot more that €50 per year! Load up with 8 units per night over say 180 winter days with the price difference of 10c unit between day and night rate and you are talking €150

And of course this would be an environmentally friendly approach too as electricity is largely green during the night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Stefs_42 wrote: »
    so here is the truth about payback on PVs!

My 3.6 kwp system with 3.5kw battery cost me 6300 euro (after grants)
    Got my first bill on 2 months after using PVs.
    Pre-solar bi-monthly usage 789 units (bill = 154 euro)
    With PV - 217 units (bill = 69 euro) and this during bright summer months,
    so my average bi-monthly savings during summer were 85 euro!

Consider that days would be shorter soon, hence less sunlight that would leave us with lets say only 4 productive months for PVs, therefore savings of 170 e.
    For winter time and duller days I would estimate bi-monthly savings of only 50 euro. which leaves us with 4*50=200 e

So my savings for the year would be 370 euro!

Now easy enough to estimate my payback for the PV system, give or take 17 years :) and that not taking into consideration any parts degradation!

I think your approach in tour calculations are probably quite pessimistic.

You will have much more than 4 productive months for a start, so basing your figures in just 2 months of usage is premature.

Payback also, is very much dependent on your usage, your setup (day, night rate etc), your consumption and your habits, which you mention very little of.

Simply stating difference in Bill is not really enough. Did you export, what was your consumption rate, do you soak up excess as much as possible, denying have a diverter, what sort of appliances and lighting donyou have and what are your usage times.

More particularly what way have you adapted your usage and habits since you got your solar in ?

I think your approach in tour calculations are probably quite pessimistic.

You will have much more than 4 productive months for a start, so basing your figures in just 2 months of usage is premature.

Payback also, is very much dependent on your usage, your setup (day, night rate etc), your consumption and your habits, which you mention very little of.

Simply stating difference in Bill is not really enough. Did you export, what was your consumption rate, do you soak up excess as much as possible, denying have a diverter, what sort of appliances and lighting donyou have and what are your usage times.

More particularly what way have you adapted your usage and habits since you got your solar in ?

id say my calculations are very realistic. since all ive done after PV install, was to try and use heavy appliances during peak production times of PVs. Ive no diverter, and my water is heated up by Coolwex system (air re-circulation system) which is on its own heavy electricity consumer.
    All that has changed is PV peak output awareness and using it to my benefit.

Since I mentioned before that there are no heavy hitters during night time, so I don't need night time meter really, since my battery normally lasts til Midnight. But that's when all cooking pretty much already done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

It's Alive! Finally got the PV system installed and operational today. 4.8KW system with a 2.4KWh battery. The first KWh was clocked today from 5pm to 7pm. It was lovely to see the electricity meter grind to a halt while the washing machine was still running.
    Wanted to thank everyone on this thread for all the help, advice (and quotes!).
    Still a few things to iron out such as getting the app set up tomorrow morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

Got my letter from ESB confirming micro-generation, they said they would be out to fit a new digital meter. I already have a digital meter, but any chance they're installing newer smart meters yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

I'm just wondering why are you engaging with them?

AFAIK they do not pay a FIT and you may have to pay a fee for the meter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭pale rider

I got the same letter and likewise I have a digital meter, there will be no charge for this installation according to the letter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

thos wrote: »
    Got my letter from ESB confirming micro-generation, they said they would be out to fit a new digital meter. I already have a digital meter, but any chance they're installing newer smart meters yet?

Have they announced FiT?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,076 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Have they announced FiT?

No

pale rider wrote: »
    I got the same letter and likewise I have a digital meter, there will be no charge for this installation according to the letter.

but you reckon it's still a change of meter? Even if it's already digital?

This is my current (bad-um tsh) one:
    desktop_0000_electronic-meter

hmm, I still have old analogue meter. and nobody contacted me from ESB since PV installation. Should I do it myself then? Any benefits to me if I switch to digital meter?

Slight de-tour, but ESB are starting Smart Meter upgrade in 'Autumn 2019'. So I'm wondering if they might prioritise micro-generation customers with smart meters (as opposed to current digital meters) to help fast-track any such FIT.

Details of the new meters here - https://www.esbnetworks.ie/existing-connection/meters-readings/smart-meter-upgrade
    Can I request an early meter upgrade?
    While the initial focus will be on areas with the oldest meters, customers can apply to ESB Networks or their electricity supplier for a prioritised installation of a smart meter.

Do I have to pay for the new meter?
    There is no additional charge for upgrading your meter. Like other meter upgrades, the cost is included in your existing charges for use of the electricity network.

When will I get a smart meter?
    The replacement programme will start in autumn 2019 and continue until the end of 2024. We will carry out this work on an area by area basis and a detailed rollout plan is currently being developed.

While the initial focus will be on the oldest meters, we intend to include an option for customers to apply through your electricity supplier or ESB Networks for a prioritised installation of a smart meter.

We will give everyone plenty of notice about when we are coming to your area to replace meters.

Why would ESB do anything to facilitate a FIT? They have been obstructing it so doubt they would prioritise a smart meter install for micro generation customers. But it looks like you can request one ahead of time so you should do so I think.

I don't think FIT is the main only objective, but I think the future of meters and tariffs is about being much more dynamic, if we are to build more renewables on the grid, then at a national level I think we should be building the 'smarts' that when there is cheaper excess energy then devices find a way to use that at a more attractive rate. Instead of people just having EDDI/Zappi type devices for consuming their own solar generated power, the same should be in effect at a grid level - where there is an excess of cheaper power, then a way to communicate via the grid and smart devices to use that power at a preferential (or penal in the reverse) rate.

Instead of just day/night rates thing EV Rate, Heat Pump rates, Hot Water rates etc etc.

Look here:
    https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/motors/ford-signs-deal-with-bord-gáis-for-home-electric-car-chargers-1.3974088

I think the only way to do this is via supplier-provided charger which has sufficient controls to report on EV charge rates and allow some form of 'special' tariff to apply to that usage.

thos wrote: »
    I already have a digital meter, but any chance they're installing newer smart meters yet?

I wouldn’t think so. My wife says (ESB staff) that the roll out starts in September and business users will be first.

Oh I agree with you totally about what we should be doing. I am just talking about the incentives for a private company to do the right thing here are negligible.

• Advertisement

enquired with ESB today:
    quote, "smart meter has nothing to do with solar power generation. smart meter installation will be rolled out free of charge from September 2019. what you would need in future is import/export meter. The current installation fee is €340 (incl VAT)."

I presume the new smart meters can do import / export too? You'd need that for a FIT. And I certainly won't be paying €340 to have a meter fitted so they can pay me a lousy 5c/kWh. In other words they will get the first 7,000 kWh I export for free :rolleyes:

unkel wrote: »
    I presume the new smart meters can do import / export too? You'd need that for a FIT. And I certainly won't be paying €340 to have a meter fitted so they can pay me a lousy 5c/kWh. In other words they will get the first 7,000 kWh I export for free :rolleyes:

yea you might be right unkel. ESB prob know nothing about new smart meters :)
    UK might benefit of them soon enough though...

https://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/about-us/news/solar-installation-payback-possible-smart-export-guarantee

• Registered Users Posts: 12,076 ✭✭✭✭KCross

unkel wrote: »

Yes, the new smart meters will do away with the need for the import/export meter... thats what ESB told me anyway.

In that case I'll happily take the €0.05 FIT for every kWh that I can't use myself or store in my 20kWh home attached battery that really should be up and running before we get the FIT :p

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Neil. J. F

Finally, fully up and running!
    4.5Kwh system with 5.6Kwh battery, East-West split (only one string working for the past month)
    Installation has been a nightmare, first started almost two months ago, two different electricians, one "tech" guy, one electrical engineer, two inverters (one destroyed by incorrect wiring), numerous emails & phone calls, multiple site visits.
    In fairness, the system seems to be good but this installer is all over the place.
    They seem to have (eventually and after a lot of chasing) uploaded all the required documents to the SEAI, so fingers crossed, our grant should come through in the next few weeks.
    What I have learned is that the installation of panels & electrical work needs to take place on the same day and that the system needs to be tested while everyone is on site.
    You live & learn!

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭reklamos

Neil. J. F wrote: »
    4.5Kwh system with 5.6Kwh battery, East-West split (only one string working for the past month)
    Installation has been a nightmare, first started almost two months ago, two different electricians, one "tech" guy, one electrical engineer, two inverters (one destroyed by incorrect wiring), numerous emails & phone calls, multiple site visits.
    In fairness, the system seems to be good but this installer is all over the place.
    They seem to have (eventually and after a lot of chasing) uploaded all the required documents to the SEAI, so fingers crossed, our grant should come through in the next few weeks.
    What I have learned is that the installation of panels & electrical work needs to take place on the same day and that the system needs to be tested while everyone is on site.
    You live & learn!
    Good to hear you got sorted.
    There are still sunny days left this year. Tomorrow's weather looks promising(at least at for my area)

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭spose

Neil. J. F wrote: »
    You live & learn!

Can I ask what size inverter you went for for 4.5 kw panels. I also have east west split and thinking about under sizing the inverter but not sure by how much

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Neil. J. F

spose wrote: »
    Can I ask what size inverter you went for for 4.5 kw panels. I also have east west split and thinking about under sizing the inverter but not sure by how much

5Kw

• Advertisement

spose wrote: »

You can under size your inverter as you will never see the full 4.5kw from an EW setup, but there is not much point as modern inverters are already very efficient with a very small load (like 20%). Under sizing means if you want to add a few panels later, you might have to upgrade your inverter, adding unnecessarily to the costs. As a 5kW inverter costs only a tiny bit more than a 3.6kW inverter.

Advertisement