Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refugees who escaped truck in laois not being searched for.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Try_harder wrote: »
    The clamour at the start was for a manhunt to track them down!

This is boards.ie,...what else do you expect?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Apparently 'Tommy Robinson' is only really concerned that the census doesn't have accurate enough data for planning the provision of public services.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

It was in the Daily Mail. Does anyone expect accuracy from them?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭blackbox

I've read most of this thread, and it seems to me that if these guys don't want to get caught, their best tactic would be to pay their TV licenses.

• Advertisement

they can apply for refugee status

Does nobody wonder:

A: Why they're automatically assumed to be refugees.

B: Why, if they are refugees, they ran off, as opposed to asking the lorry driver to contact the authorities?

I find it amazing that the media appear to lean so frequently toward the assumption that these people are refugees, as opposed to economic migrants.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

I think one issue is these people sneaking in to our country are starting off with a with a disregard for our rules and laws, how are they going to feed themselves? Will they turn to crime? will the Irish people suffer as a result of these people entering?

I think one issue is these people sneaking in to our country are starting off with a with a disregard for our rules and laws, how are they going to feed themselves? Will they turn to crime? will the Irish people suffer as a result of these people entering?

I suppose the answer to that is, it depends.

It depends on a combination of their character, to begin with, coupled with whether or not they can find work, off the radar.

If they're decent people to begin with, they'll still be decent, in so far as they are able.
    Whereas they won't contribute to the system, which is wrong, neither will they, directly at least, take from it.

If they're scumbags, they'll still be scumbags, except they're likely to be worse, because they're going to be a lot harder to bring to justice when they have no ID - and it's unlikely that they won't know it.

(I'm not going to get into the whole "Irish jobs, taxes, benefits" and all the rest, because it would need a thread all to itself. I'm just making the point that there are many possibilities)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Listen to all you racists here, these are Laois men through and through, they like GAA and can speak some english.
    Sean O Rourke on RTE radio told me they are Laois men and 100% Irish - and if you disagree with that you are a racist bigot! so there!!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,056 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

TomSweeney wrote: »
    Sean O Rourke on RTE radio told me they are Laois men and 100% Irish - and if you disagree with that you are a racist bigot! so there!!

Is that a exaggeration? Or did he actually say that.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 120 ✭✭Lash Into The Pints

So when are the Nazis here going to named? Still waiting lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

sure wasn't Saint Patrick himself a foreigner?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

So when are the Nazis here going to named? Still waiting lads.

tenor.gif?itemid=5024629

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

Does nobody wonder:

B: Why, if they are refugees, they ran off, as opposed to asking the lorry driver to contact the authorities?

I am intrigued by this myself. So thinking few options (feel free to add):
    1. they would run if they were planning to get on a different island to begin with
    2. they would run if they don't know the laws of the country they are landing in (as in ... they would have the right to work in here after bla period of time)
    3. they would run off to tell/get their friends over
    4. someone else helped them to run off cause they have better work lined up for them
    5. this thing never happened, its only one of those fake news

Options 1-4 definitely valid.

I think I'd add "They'd run if they weren't sure where they were, and had a definite destination in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,056 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

In a sense we don't know anything about these Refugees.

In one way I feel sorry for genuine ones. Once they want a better life and won't want their ways instead of law of land I have total support for them. Many of these don't even have a home and just hope they can get by.

But I be worried if attitude is 'ah sure it's all grand'. We don't know what they could have and what they could do. It's just too risky.

But anyway I hope they are safe and if they stay will contribute to society

• Registered Users Posts: 16,341 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

In a sense we don't know anything about these Refugees.

In one way I feel sorry for genuine ones. Once they want a better life and won't want their ways instead of law of land I have total support for them. Many of these don't even have a home and just hope they can get by.

But I be worried if attitude is 'ah sure it's all grand'. We don't know what they could have and what they could do. It's just too risky.

But anyway I hope they are safe and if they stay will contribute to society

They will only end up costing us thousands like the rest of them we took in.

Free healthcare, education, accommodation and leave to appeal any decision up to the Supreme Court and the taxpayer foots the bill.

Sure most of them can't even speak english, where are all these teachers, nurses and doctors that were supposed to be coming.

They will only end up costing us thousands like the rest of them we took in.

Free healthcare, education, accommodation and leave to appeal any decision up to the Supreme Court and the taxpayer foots the bill.

Sure most of them can't even speak english, where are all these teachers, nurses and doctors that were supposed to be coming.

They will if they claim asylum - but if they were going to do that, why did they run?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,354 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Does nobody wonder:

A: Why they're automatically assumed to be refugees.

I find it amazing that the media appear to lean so frequently toward the assumption that these people are refugees, as opposed to economic migrants.
    Or they may have even more nefarious motives.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Laois! God help them, it will be like Deliverance part II.

• Advertisement

That's another possibility, if course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Maybe someone should call Kiefer Sutherland (from the 24:00 TV documentaries).
    He's probably the best man to locate and close down cells, based on previous performances.

250px-24-Logo.svg.png

The bad news is that it's been over 24hrs since the 5 guys went off-radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Maybe someone should call Kiefer Sutherland (from the 24:00 TV documentaries).
    He's probably the best man to locate and close down cells, based on previous performances.

250px-24-Logo.svg.png

The bad news is that it's been over 24hrs since the 5 guys went off-radar.

By golly,but Queens County is becoming a hotbed of vehicular related incidents....

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/gsoc-launch-investigation-after-man-runs-from-crash-scene-in-laois-37189078.html
    It appears from initial investigations that a car being driven by a male driver, who was the sole occupant, was travelling northbound in the southbound carriageway of the M7.

The car then collided with the central median crash barrier.

Local sources say that when gardai arrived to investigate the crash the man tried to leave the scene and fell down an embankment.

The driver of the car was then taken to Tallaght Hospital with serious but non life threatening injuries.

Conduire á gauche.....;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

AlekSmart wrote: »
    By golly,but Queens County is becoming a hotbed of vehicular related incidents....

It's not the first time (and maybe not the last) a bunch of illegal migrants jumped on the back of a lorry from Europe and ended up in Laois.

2017 saw 6 folks recovered from the back of a refrigeration truck ...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Certainly a possibility that can't be disregarded...take this clip,for example....

https://www.facebook.com/TheLiberal.ie/videos/530296357418173/?hc_ref=ARQ8X-MWi3frMo6RPhO038jZhoj7-dpTDM3UZLlSf9YX-hkHSQUjwudOFUvPBjoy7MI&fref=gs&dti=137694919648502&hc_location=group&fb_dtsg_ag=AdzDDgy7vgMUAEfO2bDz6vPNlyQKaYskkCUayQjBWYr8FQ%3AAdx0nVDuy9RJUc6Az9suTZCLXrFuYQvZ-AOIX-JSpj94gw

One could ask if any efforts will be made to locate this individual or will it be another case of "Ah sure,it was the drink "

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Certainly a possibility that can't be disregarded...take this clip,for example....

https://www.facebook.com/TheLiberal.ie/videos/530296357418173/?hc_ref=ARQ8X-MWi3frMo6RPhO038jZhoj7-dpTDM3UZLlSf9YX-hkHSQUjwudOFUvPBjoy7MI&fref=gs&dti=137694919648502&hc_location=group&fb_dtsg_ag=AdzDDgy7vgMUAEfO2bDz6vPNlyQKaYskkCUayQjBWYr8FQ%3AAdx0nVDuy9RJUc6Az9suTZCLXrFuYQvZ-AOIX-JSpj94gw

One could ask if any efforts will be made to locate this individual or will it be another case of "Ah sure,it was the drink "

It looks like Leo trying to drum up some news for his rag :

That lad on the bus is the head off him hai

lI4bcBa.png

Vs7E036.png

• Registered Users Posts: 8,641 ✭✭✭corks finest

It's not the first time (and maybe not the last) a bunch of illegal migrants jumped on the back of a lorry from Europe and ended up in Laois.

2017 saw 6 folks recovered from the back of a refrigeration truck ...
    Need Mulder and scully in laois ASAP

• Registered Users Posts: 23,644 ✭✭✭✭zell12

And more again today
    Four illegal immigrants arrested on Midlands roadway
    Gardai believe the stowaways hid in the back of a truck which travelled by ferry from Spain to Ireland.
    The ferry docked in Ringaskiddy, Cork, before the truck made its way to service station in Laois.

It's a long way from Albania (where the 4 lads are from), it's a long way from here.

Wonder why they didn't apply for the aul asylum in mainland EU/Spain (where the hopped on the truck) instead of Ire, and not until many months have passed.
    Perhaps they had work on the black-market arranged for them in the Midlands, prior to arriving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

I hear they are trying to break the record for biggest immigrant-made human-pyramid. Best of luck lads!

Advertisement