Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Executive Officer in the Civil Service 2018 (Dublin)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭speckled_park

plibige wrote: »
    Just to make some people feel better, i'm in the late 3000's! So there was massive interest and a huge number made qualifying standard. I haven't a clue what i did wrong either but i clearly don't have the nack for these job place situational tests

Join the club. Im no. 4101. Lol. Anyway always next time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Dublintigger

'It is intended to invite those placed up to and including 642 on the open order of merit to Stage 2 of the selection process.'

Does this mean they will only take the first 642 and then no one else? Or will they call the next batch of candidates?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Butterfly182

Some difference this year in my score compared to 2016 and not in a good way.

Came 2925 with a score of 483.

Came in the 700s in the EO competition 2016 for the whole country in stage 1.

It isn’t so bad because i’m an EO already since the 2016 campaign just want mobility but still I would be interested to know what the top available score was and how many people applied. I would also like to know if they will be moving further down the list.

Congrats to those who were successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Butterfly182

'It is intended to invite those placed up to and including 642 on the open order of merit to Stage 2 of the selection process.'

Does this mean they will only take the first 642 and then no one else? Or will they call the next batch of candidates?

I looked at my message from the EO 2016 stage 1 campaign results and it did just state about how many people they were going to invite to stage 2 straight away. There were loads of batches afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Cathyban

2450 and 508. Baffled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 nickidd

Hi, I didn’t reach the qualifying standard today and wonder would anyone know if the application forms were included in the scores today or if it was just the computer generated result from the assessments, ie rating yourself and situational judgement etc. Was education, work experience etc counted? I only applied through interdepartmental as I don’t have a degree but am a CO and usually score v well on these assessments. TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭n!ghtmancometh

I'd hazard a guess that some of the questions were weighted as more important than others, and or time taken to complete was taken into consideration. Impossible to say definitively how they are scored though. The many mysteries of PAS and the civil service in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

I got 677 and was placed 36 in the inter departmental and 96 in the open. However I'm down in Cork and am just doing this for practice because I failed the last open EO on the interview.

How I scored so high though? No idea. I'm kinda lucky where I am because I work in an office with an HEO, AP and PO who are all really supportive and to be honest I get loads of opportunities to work above my grade so I guess that's built into me.

When doing the management scenarios I suppose the main thing is to mindful that you're an EO and can't go off making HEO and above decisions on your own. You have to be able to try and sort things out yourself and not leave it escalate. And being honest - policy always comes first before common sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Jakeren7

They will call more than 642. I was over 4000 in the last one and got called to stage 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭JennyZ

Joined CS 2 years ago, scored top in the CO competition, have a degree, my HEO and my current EO manager encouraged me to apply for this. Got results today - don't meet qualifying standard.
    I'm hoping I may do better on the Internal competition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Dublintigger

JennyZ wrote: »
    Joined CS 2 years ago, scored top in the CO competition, have a degree, my HEO and my current EO manager encouraged me to apply for this. Got results today - don't meet qualifying standard.

Gutted for you.... good luck with internal comp

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Jakeren7

The results were out today of the internal comp did you not get yours

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Sinus pain

It’s open and inter departmental not internal - there must be an internal completion going in in her dept

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Always number 1

Placed 315 on order of merit. I will probably opt out at this point.
    I'm an existing public servant and was in touch with PAS before the results came out and was told that my service - 13 years - won't carry, my current salary isn't factored in - I'd end up 13k worse off than i am now just to get a few extra increments (salary scale for EO has more points than Assistant Staff Officer in Public Service) and I'd lose 7 days holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

The above couple of posters go to show that there will be opt-outs. Add in family reasons, commuter distance, health reasons, college kids having a whack.....I'd not go worrying too much about numbers; the queue reduces.

Last time 2016, apres exams I was top 5 in the country....come the interview, I flopped out (lack of management experience, duh).

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Will I Is

There is going to be massive drop out in this competition for Dublin. A lot of people from the regions will have applied on spec. I have heard of applicants from regions being offered HEO and AP quite recently and turning them down - simply based on financial logistics. Anyone who has got an OOM, whatever placing will eventually be called to stage 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭FenFlynn

The above couple of posters go to show that there will be opt-outs. Add in family reasons, commuter distance, health reasons, college kids having a whack.....I'd not go worrying too much about numbers; the queue reduces.

Last time 2016, apres exams I was top 5 in the country....come the interview, I flopped out (lack of management experience, duh).

I'd be worried even if I do get to interview, I'd be out for the same reason, I don't have a lot of work experience at all. I'm starting as a CO this coming month

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭JennyZ

nickidd wrote: »
    Hi, I didn’t reach the qualifying standard today and wonder would anyone know if the application forms were included in the scores today or if it was just the computer generated result from the assessments, ie rating yourself and situational judgement etc. Was education, work experience etc counted? I only applied through interdepartmental as I don’t have a degree but am a CO and usually score v well on these assessments. TIA

I would doubt if application forms were even looked at, that's normally at interview stage.The results were computer generated. I've no idea why I didn't pass either. Acting in an EO role at work at the moment and have an internal interview coming up soon.

You don’t need a degree for open, you just need to reach a certain result in your leaving (I can’t remember what now) or equivalent doesn’t necessarily have to be a degree

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭PawneeRanger

Placed 315 on order of merit. I will probably opt out at this point.
    I'm an existing public servant and was in touch with PAS before the results came out and was told that my service - 13 years - won't carry, my current salary isn't factored in - I'd end up 13k worse off than i am now just to get a few extra increments (salary scale for EO has more points than Assistant Staff Officer in Public Service) and I'd lose 7 days holidays.

I didn't realise we couldn't carry our service.
    I'm 12 years in and on just under €45k

There's no way I'm losing that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

I'm a bit confused, I think I managed to enter twice, or there's two different competitions?

I got two emails saying I was

- 167th and they'll be calling up to 236th
    - 456th and they'll be calling up to 642nd

I've checked my form and I don't think I applied for interdepartmental (I'm not already in the civil service)

Also, anyone have a ball park estimate of how much longer it will be from now before you'd actually start work if you got through?

That’s interdepartmental the first one, you must have ticked the box by mistake?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

No idea how I managed that. I'll email them and let them know so someone else can take my place.

FenFlynn wrote: »
    I think I'm out then, over 1600, no way they'll get through that far. Well done and Best of luck to those got through.

I was higher than that in the last one and have been working as an EO since January. Don't give up hope just yet.
    I didn't realise we couldn't carry our service.
    I'm 12 years in and on just under €45k

There's no way I'm losing that.

It varies from one HR dept. to another whether or not they strictly enforce that. I kept my salary but lost some holidays, waiting on Peoplepoint to get the finger out in that sense.

This circular is still in play and should be forwarded to any HR dept that tries to drag their heels. It applies to anyone in the CPSU or PSEU (now FÓRSA), but you can always claim you were a member:
    I am directed by the Minister for Finance to say that he has accepted the recommendations of GeneralCouncil Report No. 1443 which provides for thegranting of incremental credit for previous service to officers at Clerical Officer and Executive Officer, orequivalent grades represented by Civil and PublicService Union (CPSU) and Public Service Executive Union (PSEU).

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭audrey2014

15k was mentioned in the 2016 thread, however that competition was for the whole country. 2017 CO was also Dublin only. I'd say the numbers in 2017 CO would be higher than Dublin 2018 EO, but that's just a guess.

I got the invitation just there for the next stage. Supervised aptitude tests and e tray. Have never done that before so not sure what to expect

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Skip13

audrey2014 wrote: »
    I got the invitation just there for the next stage. Supervised aptitude tests and e tray. Have never done that before so not sure what to expect

Are they doing the etray with the supervised tests? (not in the top 642) Now I have to say that makes more sense than the interview and etray (which was how they did it for 2016) on the same day.

audrey2014 wrote: »

On the same day? That sounds quite tough, but at least it shortens the process if it's straight to supervised tests.

I was higher than that in the last one and have been working as an EO since January. Don't give up hope just yet.

It varies from one HR dept. to another whether or not they strictly enforce that. I kept my salary but lost some holidays, waiting on Peoplepoint to get the finger out in that sense.

This circular is still in play and should be forwarded to any HR dept that tries to drag their heels. It applies to anyone in the CPSU or PSEU (now FÓRSA), but you can always claim you were a member:

Thanks for the encouragement. I'll just have to wait and see. Do you remember which type of tests they used? I am so bad at cut-e, if that's the one then I'll definitely fail it. Have been trying some tests online but never get too far

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

Anyone being negative, just stop.

You have a chance, this panel can run for up to 2 years if needs be. There's is a chance that YOU WILL get called.

There is no guarantee that a high number will do well on the in house timed tests, and those who do pass it have the wonderful Etray to look forward to, which has been the downfall of many.

Keep applying for anything eo/heo in the meantime, and you never know, you may get the call from PAS.

Good luck to you all, and well done for making the effort to apply!

• Advertisement

italodisco wrote: »
    Anyone being negative, just stop.

You have a chance, this panel can run for up to 2 years if needs be. There's is a chance that YOU WILL get called.

There is no guarantee that a high number will do well on the in house timed tests, and those who do pass it have the wonderful Etray to look forward to, which has been the downfall of many.

Keep applying for anything eo/heo in the meantime, and you never know, you may get the call from PAS.

Good luck to you all, and well done for making the effort to apply!

Such wise words! You are absolutely right. I'll definitely keep trying until someday I eventually get through. :)

Advertisement