Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What I eat daily on a healthy eating plan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Greek yogurt with a scoop of chocolate flavour whey protein. Gorgeous as breakfast or dessert, under 300 kcal and 33g of protein.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭molly09

Bassfish wrote: »
    Greek yogurt with a scoop of chocolate flavour whey protein. Gorgeous as breakfast or dessert, under 300 kcal and 33g of protein.

What whey protein powder do you use? I recently purchased one from my protein , I have not received it yet but I think there is 20g protein per scoup in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I do this, albeit with strawberry or vanilla whey. Using 100g of aldi 0% fat Greek yogurt and 25g of myprotein impact whey comes out at 164 calories and 30g of protein.

Just the scoop can be up 30g rather than the stated 25g portion. It would also depend on the yogurt obviously.

I prefer this to a shake these days - I generally have it with berries or a fruit salad.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Tuna for me
    Can't get enough of the stuff.

Mixed with raw onion and a bit of mayo on toasted rye.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Bassfish

molly09 wrote: »
    What whey protein powder do you use? I recently purchased one from my protein , I have not received it yet but I think there is 20g protein per scoup in it.

Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard. Find it less sickly than other brands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I do this, albeit with strawberry or vanilla whey. Using 100g of aldi 0% fat Greek yogurt and 25g of myprotein impact whey comes out at 164 calories and 30g of protein.

Just the scoop can be up 30g rather than the stated 25g portion. It would also depend on the yogurt obviously.

I prefer this to a shake these days - I generally have it with berries or a fruit salad.

MP scoops are supposed to be 25g now? Thought they were always 30g servings?

Bulk Powders are 30g scoops and I'd thought they were always the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Bassfish wrote: »
    Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard. Find it less sickly than other brands.

I got their coffee flavour one and it's the first one I've genuinely enjoyed the taste of. I have it with roasted unsweetened almond milk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I got their coffee flavour one and it's the first one I've genuinely enjoyed the taste of. I have it with roasted unsweetened almond milk

That's a great idea! Like an iced latte?

I use bulkpowders myself. Vanilla for shakes, Apple crumble & custard with greek yoghurt & berries, yum

• Registered Users Posts: 33,232 ✭✭✭✭Penn

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Tuna for me
    Can't get enough of the stuff.

Mixed with raw onion and a bit of mayo on toasted rye.

I used to hate watching my father eat tuna. The smell and look of it too always put me off.

Then I tried those John West Infusion pots of tuna. F*cking delicious. Especially love the Chipotle (though they seem to have mostly disappeared) and Jalapeno ones. Usually have a pot or two on weekends as a snack.

Penn wrote: »
    I used to hate watching my father eat tuna. The smell and look of it too always put me off.

Then I tried those John West Infusion pots of tuna. F*cking delicious. Especially love the Chipotle (though they seem to have mostly disappeared) and Jalapeno ones. Usually have a pot or two on weekends as a snack.

Yes, they are delicious. A bit of lime juice works wonders too.

Albacore tuna is quite different too; ortiz is a great brand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I really need to up my protein but unfortunately, I'm not a fan of most protein foods. So I'm going to try to start working whey into my diet.

Firstly, any recommendations of nice flavors/brands? With oats, is it better to put the powder in before cooking, or to stir in afterwards?

And whats the best way to add it to greek yoghurt/shakes that won't give the horrible lumpy texture?

Thanks in advance for any help :)

SusieBlue wrote: »
    I really need to up my protein but unfortunately, I'm not a fan of most protein foods. So I'm going to try to start working whey into my diet.

Firstly, any recommendations of nice flavors/brands? With oats, is it better to put the powder in before cooking, or to stir in afterwards?

And whats the best way to add it to greek yoghurt/shakes that won't give the horrible lumpy texture?

What I do is mix the protein with the quantity of water I'd add to the amount of oats Im having and mix in a shaker with the oats. Just means no lumps. Then into the microwave.

I usually use vanilla. Unless you don't like vanilla, I just found that it was too likely that I wouldn't like other flavours.

I used just add to Greek yoghurt and stir the bejaysus out of it. No lumps.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Mix your protein powder, oats , chia seeds & cinnamon with almond milk in a tub and leave overnight. This is a very tasty breakfast.

The Powder i use in ROS,avaialbe in Dunnes for €15 per kg roughly 40 servings

• Registered Users Posts: 13,305 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

You can add whey to a smoothie. For example, try unflavoured whey, frozen banana, frozen berries, peanut butter and almond milk and blend using a high-powered blender.

You could also try making your own protein bars
    https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2055992322/1

MP scoops are supposed to be 25g now? Thought they were always 30g servings?
    They quote 25g as a serving, but a scoop is nearer 30g. I generally weigh out tbh, but the scoop is the same size for both (all?) - 70ml.
    What I do is mix the protein with the quantity of water I'd add to the amount of oats Im having and mix in a shaker with the oats. Just means no lumps. Then into the microwave.
    I add the protein at the end. My mix is oats:milk 1:2 ratio, and then an extra scoop of water, and generally an 80g portion of frozen berries. Microwave 2 minutes, stir, another two minutes, and then vigorously stir in the protein.

I'll try the Alf method though, as I'm not as successful without the berries.
    I used just add to Greek yoghurt and stir the bejaysus out of it. No lumps.
    This is my method too. No lumps. I tend to find it has less lumps than a handmixed shake to be honest.

They quote 25g as a serving, but a scoop is nearer 30g. I generally weigh out tbh, but the scoop is the same size for both (all?) - 70ml.

I add the protein at the end. My mix is oats:milk 1:2 ratio, and then an extra scoop of water, and generally an 80g portion of frozen berries. Microwave 2 minutes, stir, another two minutes, and then vigorously stir in the protein.

I'll try the Alf method though, as I'm not as successful without the berries.

Pretty sure it was always a 70ml scoop and a serving size of 30g. Seems odd that they have gone to 25g servings now.

The oats I have are the fine oats so they're the same texture as the whey powder so I just mix it all up and microwave it because it's handier.

Pretty sure it was always a 70ml scoop and a serving size of 30g. Seems odd that they have gone to 25g servings now.
    I still have the old clear straight sided scoops, as well as newer ones and they're all 70ml. As long as I've been using it, they've quoted 25g a portion as opposed to 30g of bulk powders - even if you put it into mfp, 25g is the most common measurement. I assume it's a bit of marketing, being able to claim extra portions per pack compared to bulk powders/ others.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

When I was having my porridge with protein I'd just add the protein to the milk in the shaker to mix it up and then add the mixture as normal. Never any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

ILikeBoats wrote: »
    That's a great idea! Like an iced latte?

I use bulkpowders myself. Vanilla for shakes, Apple crumble & custard with greek yoghurt & berries, yum

I've never had an iced latte so couldn't tell ya. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Average day for me

Breakfast: small cereal bar and some fruit like banana or orange

Lunch: chicken salad with mexican sauce

Dinner : homemade curry with lots of veg

Snack: apples or oranges or a biscuit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Had a new combo for dinner last night, I like liver but for some reason I don’t seem to like cooking it though cant even explain why “logically” . I made a stir-fry with a packet of diced chicken and lamb’s liver from Tesco, portion of mushroom , bell pepper and an onion. Added a mixture of sour cream and regular cream for a sauce and doused in a liberal sprinkling of hot sauce. Very tasty and hardly knew I was having liver, might make that a staple once a week. I tend to look down on Chicken in nutrition terms but the liver should more than compensate. Next up will be a fish combo made similar to above, got to get the old Omega 3’s in

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Just saw in Tesco that they are selling alternative pasta such as red lentil, buckwheat, etc. Tesco brand.

And far cheaper than my local health store. Less than €2 per bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭Worztron

Breakfast: Oatmeal + soymilk + flaxseed & kiwi (D3 supplement)
    Lunch: Baked Beans + bread & vegan cheese on crackers & orange
    Dinner: Veg Curry (Madras) & orange (omega 3 + vegan society multi)
    Snack: Banana & Yogurt

I also have greens like lettuce/rocket with lunch and dinner as a side dish.

:pac:

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Worztron wrote: »
    Breakfast: Oatmeal + soymilk + flaxseed & kiwi (D3 supplement)
    Lunch: Baked Beans + bread & vegan cheese on crackers & orange
    Dinner: Veg Curry (Madras) & orange (omega 3 + vegan society multi)
    Snack: Banana & Yogurt

I also have greens like lettuce/rocket with lunch and dinner as a side dish.

:pac:

Can I ask how do you make the curry please?

Can I ask how do you make the curry please?

Hi molly09. I use Pataks jar of Madras curry sauce. I also add other spices like hot curry powder, ginger, cumin, etc. as well as lots of veg and lentils, peas, etc.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Worztron wrote: »
    Hi molly09. I use Pataks jar of Madras curry sauce. I also add other spices like hot curry powder, ginger, cumin, etc. as well as lots of veg and lentils, peas, etc.

Thank you, I must try the pataks version. Thank you.

Thank you, I must try the pataks version. Thank you.

You're welcome Molly. They've been a mainstay for many years for me. 🍛

• Registered Users Posts: 9 desirejadeh

Minimum five different fruits per day. Three to five cups of tea. Meal high on veg and meat. Minimal rice or potatoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭SuperRabbit

ah how i've been suffering with this easter buisness

yesterday

breakfast: porridge with soya milk
    coffee w oat milk
    brunch: half an avocado
    another coffee w oat milk
    dessert: 3 milk tray chocolates
    another coffee w oat milk
    lunch: chilly sin carne (vegetable chilly) and a bit a rice
    dessert: A WHOLE EASTER EGG
    other dessert: a banana and peanut butter
    dinner: stuffed pasta with cheese (i can't eat cheese.. but it's Easter!)
    dessert: more chocolate

I'm not like this normally I swear!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,232 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Make Turkey chili for lunch for the week. First time making it. Have made beef mince chili a bunch but tried a different recipe for the turkey and turned out great.

1kg turkey mince
    300ml chicken stock
    1 onion
    1 green bell pepper
    1/2 jar sliced jalapenos
    500ml tomato passata
    1 can kidney beans
    Some salsa
    3tbsp chilli powder
    2tbsp paprika
    1.5tbsp cumin
    1tbsp oregano
    Garlic/Salt/Pepper
    About 50ml Franks Red Hot Chili & Lime sauce

Aside from browning the mince and frying the onions first, just chucked everything into slow cooker on low for about 6 hours. Split it up into five portions (not huge portions, but definitely do me for lunch. Could be served with some rice for dinner). Served with a sprinkle of Low-Low Cheddar cheese on top.

Advertisement