Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What I eat daily on a healthy eating plan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,232 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Having the last of the homemade chilli (lean mince) with bacon bits and brown rice for lunch today. Really happy with how it turned out. Going to try a prawn korma recipe I found for dinner. Uses ground almonds and water rather than coconut milk or yoghurt or anything. Will have it with yellow (brown) rice mixed with finely chopped spinach and some coriander. Will be making the same dinner Saturday and Sunday, so hopefully by Sunday I'll have the recipe nailed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Currently cutting so this is about 2700 calories give or take.

I don't think i can talk to you anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 6 drlamp

Great thread idea!

Breakfast: Was on the go so got a mango and quinoa pot from M&S, banana and americano.

Snack: Apple, handful of blueberries & raspberries.

Lunch: Giant cous cous (first time trying it, really liked it) with roast peppers, broccoli and courgette, small tin tuna and half avocado.

Snack: Pear, soya yoghurt.

Dinner will probably be chicken stir fry with potatoes

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Back on the aul breakfast smoothies as I just love them so much.
    Today was Banana, Pea Protein/Hemp Protein/Rice protein blend with Peanut Butter, Cocoa and Soy Milk.
    Damn tasty, filling and easy way to get a lot of protein at breakfast for me.

I'll try and estimate calories and protein:
    protein powder 120kcal - 22g/27g depending on powder
    peanut butter 90kcal - 4g
    banana 100kcal - 1.3g
    cocoa 15kcal - 0.6g
    soy milk 65kcal - 6.6g

390 calories, ~35g-40g protein. Fat and carbs there too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Scrambled eggs with mushrooms and asparagus

Mushroom soup, brown seeded roll with crayfish and capers and rocket

Pork and beef meat balls in tomato sauce with wholemeal pasta ( I will make a big batch if tomato sauce with pasatta, onion , carrot , red peppers, garlic, then blend it. I will use it for pizza tomorrow and tomato soup another day, just add a splash of Tabasco and fresh basil).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Where to buy crayfish? I've never seen it for sale.

Penn wrote: »
    Having the last of the homemade chilli (lean mince) with bacon bits and brown rice for lunch today. Really happy with how it turned out. Going to try a prawn korma recipe I found for dinner. Uses ground almonds and water rather than coconut milk or yoghurt or anything. Will have it with yellow (brown) rice mixed with finely chopped spinach and some coriander. Will be making the same dinner Saturday and Sunday, so hopefully by Sunday I'll have the recipe nailed.

That prawn korma is the f*cking business. Definitely adding that to the rotation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Where to buy crayfish? I've never seen it for sale.

I buy the ready to eat ocean spray one in Lidl when they have, it's lovely and sweet.
    I also get it sometimes in Howth, they sometimes cook it iat the fish counters for take away.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 drlamp

Dinner was turkey mince with spinach, peppers, onions, broccoli and chopped tinned tomatoes with sweet potato wedges.

drlamp wrote: »
    Dinner was turkey mince with spinach, peppers, onions, broccoli and chopped tinned tomatoes with sweet potato wedges.

Nice. I don't like turkey at all but do sometimes use turkey mince. Cheap and healthy protein. Fairly neutral tasting, which is a good thing for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

my "OMAD" yday was a nice salad, lettuce, cucumber, olives, 2 eggs, an avocado, some blue cheese, chicken and some coleslaw served in a nice oversized bowl followed by blueberries and yoghurt and 2 squares of 85% cocoa chocolate. the only p1sser was getting home late from work and only having it at around 8pm, I'd prefer to eat it a little earlier, though hungerwise wasn't even thinking about food.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

silverharp wrote: »
    my "OMAD" yday was a nice salad, lettuce, cucumber, olives, 2 eggs, an avocado, some blue cheese, chicken and some coleslaw served in a nice oversized bowl followed by blueberries and yoghurt and 2 squares of 85% cocoa chocolate. the only p1sser was getting home late from work and only having it at around 8pm, I'd prefer to eat it a little earlier, though hungerwise wasn't even thinking about food.

You track your calories in your one meal?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Blacktie. wrote: »
    You track your calories in your one meal?

not really , I'd aim for something around 1300-1500 calories , some days might be lower as I'd aim to eat fish twice a week and at the weekend I'd either have 2 or 3 meals so probably more.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭molly09

Protein shake and yoghurt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Breakfast - 2 Hard Boiled eggs (Yolks Removed) and 2 Thick slices of Granary toast (No Butter) with a little tomato ketchup - Glass of water - Low Fat Latte

Lunch - Salad of Beetroot, Blanched Broccoli, Spinach Leaves and some Basil Leaves and a tomato - Very small bit of home made dressing (Balsamic Vinegar and EV Olive Oil ) - Low fat Latte

Dinner will be Bowl Of Homemade Chana Masala (Chick Pea Curry)

Did half hour HIIT Session this morning and Indoor soccer for an hour later on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Breakfast - 2 Hard Boiled eggs (Yolks Removed) and 2 Thick slices of Granary toast (No Butter) with a little tomato ketchup - Glass of water - Low Fat Latte

Lunch - Salad of Beetroot, Blanched Broccoli, Spinach Leaves and some Basil Leaves and a tomato - Very small bit of home made dressing (Balsamic Vinegar and EV Olive Oil ) - Low fat Latte

Dinner will be Bowl Of Homemade Chana Masala (Chick Pea Curry)

Did half hour HIIT Session this morning and Indoor soccer for an hour later on

Why do you remove egg yolks?

To lower the fat content and also help keep Cholesterol down

• Registered Users Posts: 13,305 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

To lower the fat content and also help keep Cholesterol down

To keep what type of cholesterol down?

Because for most people, eating foods high in cholesterol (i.e egg yolks) is not strongly linked to an increase in blood cholesterol levels.

https://examine.com/nutrition/awful-nutrition-myths/#summary4

Yes I know that its is mostly trans fat etc that has the effect of raising blood cholesterol levels but I tend to eat quite a lot of eggs so just feel more comfortable taking the yolks out. I don't always do this but I did this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

Because for most people, eating foods high in cholesterol (i.e egg yolks) is not strongly linked to an increase in blood cholesterol levels.

True, cholesterol is also beneficial to testosterone production.

• Advertisement

bladespin wrote: »
    True, cholesterol is also beneficial to testosterone production.

Sugar and Trans fats seem to actually lead to cholesterol issues

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I'd like to point out that approximately 90% of all food blood serum cholesterol studies are funded by the egg Industry. Another note is that I saw some studies before for people that eat no cholesterol eating eggs and it did raise the levels, I'm guessing if you eat loads of cholesterol already eating more may not have much of an effect?

Due to a busy weekend and a lot of stuff to do evenings this week, no time to meal prep lunch or cook dinners, so I'm cheating a bit this week. Having pots of tuna and some fruit for lunch, and stocked up on some weight watchers ready meals for dinner. Have to say the weight watchers chicken tikka was pretty nice. Still though, won't be making a habit of cheating like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭GapMinder

Did a couple of days this week unintentionally veggie, found it quite interesting actually , used chickpeas and beans as the protein was very filling Will be taking a bit of meat out of my diet after this.

That's one of the things I love about them. I eat a whole tin of mixed beans from lidl, it's 170 calories, good for me, tasty and I feel full. I like to eat a lot of volume of food. Loads of different types around and can be used in a lot of ways. Have black, pinto, edamame, dutch, chickpeas, haricot and butter beans in the house at the moment. Different types of lentils and split peas too which I throw into the same grouping.

Anyone any good lunch box ideas?

Not working in my usual location, probably no microwave.

Nice filling dishes preferable, doing a few 11 hour days:(

I would have things like this https://imgur.com/a/bijVr but you may want something more non-veggie. In general something you would like cold anyway like in those examples. Home made burritos bowls, buddha bowls or good salads etc. More stuff I'd eat with ingredients: https://www.veganproteinlab.com/high-protein-vegan-recipes

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Anyone any good lunch box ideas?

Not working in my usual location, probably no microwave.

Nice filling dishes preferable, doing a few 11 hour days:(

Roast veg, lentil salad, tuna salad, oatcakes and hummous, bananas, nut butters. All can be eaten cold.

And bring a flask of soup or stew with a good wholemeal bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Breakfast: 150g blueberry Liberté yogurt

Lunch: 1 x large chicken breast and 100g mix of brocolli, asparagus, and spinach.

Snacks will be 2/3 rice cakes.

I won't lie, I had the same yesterday and found myself hungry at work and training afterwards (before dinner) to be a struggle.
    I may go to the shop at lunch time and try to pick up something to add a bit more volume. I think I'm being a bit too strict. My holidays are only a few weeks away so I've been trying to limit my carb intake.

Dinner today will be 100g wholewheat pasta, 1 x can of tuna, sweetcorn, peas and 1 tsp of lighter than light mayo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I've been on a weighloss mission since january, have managed to shed 30lbs so far, another 15 or so to go.

daily diet would be

wake up - 7am - coffee
    breakfast - coffee & a bannana
    Lunch 200g grilled chicken breast 50g (uncooked weight) brown rice, some broccoli
    4:30pm - an apple, a coffee & homemade protein cake - essentially just porridge oats & whey protein (calorie dense 250cals but made myself)
    6pm - exercise time - I do crosssfit 3 times a week, this week is my first time introducing cardio on the off nights though.
    7:30 - 3 egg omlette with chopped peppers and 3 turkey rashers with a little sriracha sauce for a kick
    8pm, possibly a whey protein shake if my calorie allowance is there for it (it alll depends on how big my earlier meals were)

I'm eating at 1450 cals a day, seeing weight loss of approximately 1lb for week, painfully slow if I'm being honest, but I have to admit that all my lifts have gone up, so I'm probably seeing something of a recompositon rather than straight weight loss. I dont eat to compensate for exercise calories, but I don't feel tired or hungry either.

I'm treating this like a science experiment, everything is weighed to the gram. have had a few cheat meals here and there, purely to maintain a normal social life.

Advertisement