Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hurling V Football

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67,065 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

On the contrary, long hit balls are becoming less prevalent. Clare were probably the pioneers (often to their detriment) of the short passing/running game. It's been adopted by pretty much every top side now. Short puckouts are a major part of the game, when in the past they were just driven long.

There was plenty of it over the two days imo. Not necessarily a bad thing, I hate to see it in football, like most though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,695 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

MD1990 wrote: »
    Hurling is far superior atm & I am not a huge fan of GAA.

But Hurling has improved. Much less hit & hope & better passing makes it better than it was is the past,
    My only problem with hurling is the ball's may be too light as keepers can drive the ball to the opposition 21.

But has it improved overall, there are only a handful of teams that play the game to a decent level. If there were as many games in Hurling as there are in Football, I wonder would the same be said.

Ace2007 wrote: »
    But has it improved overall, there are only a handful of teams that play the game to a decent level. If there were as many games in Hurling as there are in Football, I wonder would the same be said.

That's it's abiding problem. Terrific range in quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

There was plenty of it over the two days imo. Not necessarily a bad thing, I hate to see it in football, like most though.

There was, and there were plenty of short passes too. Have a look Clare's extra time equaliser yesterday.

In my opinion football could do with more long passing. Repetitive hand passing and keep ball can be very boring. The last 10 or 15 minutes of the Dublin Donegal game a few weeks ago were torture and I tuned in hoping to see a cracker. Difficult to pass long when there's no space though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,210 ✭✭✭mattser

Always were only a handful hurling counties who were masters of the art. Look at football All Ireland winners. Where's the difference ?. Kerry Dublin and the also rans.

• Advertisement

There was, and there were plenty of short passes too. Have a look Clare's extra time equaliser yesterday.

In my opinion football could do with more long passing. Repetitive hand passing and keep ball can be very boring. The last 10 or 15 minutes of the Dublin Donegal game a few weeks ago were torture and I tuned in hoping to see a cracker. Difficult to pass long when there's no space though.

The gas thing about that was the Donegal crowd booing. McGuiness invented that ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

It isn't soccer though. Silly point.

:rolleyes:

mattser wrote: »
    Always were only a handful hurling counties who were masters of the art. Look at football All Ireland winners. Where's the difference ?. Kerry Dublin and the also rans.

The gulf wouldn't be near as big across the football championship though, plenty of teams at a decent enough standard to give a game to most other teams.
    Not so in hurling.

The gas thing about that was the Donegal crowd booing. McGuiness invented that ****e.

I found it ironic as well. I'll never forget that game they played against Dublin a few years back with everyone camped in their own half. That was probably the birth of the blanket defence.

In fairness to Dublin, they play good football. It's a pity there's few out there who can put it up to them.

Yes but other counties in football are competitive, and competitive to a decent level. In football for instance you will probably see an ulster team being 12/1 to win Sam next year, however you would probably get 500/1 on an Ulster team winning Liam, and you would probably get the same bet for the next 10 years.

Like when was the last big shock in Hurling, ala Kildare beating Mayo. Your not going to have Antrim beating a beaten finalist for instance? No matter what Antrim were to do, because the 6 top teams can ping the ball over the bar from half back line etc.

• Advertisement

Yes but other counties in football are competitive, and competitive to a decent level. In football for instance you will probably see an ulster team being 12/1 to win Sam next year, however you would probably get 500/1 on an Ulster team winning Liam, and you would probably get the same bet for the next 10 years.

Like when was the last big shock in Hurling, ala Kildare beating Mayo. Your not going to have Antrim beating a beaten finalist for instance? No matter what Antrim were to do, because the 6 top teams can ping the ball over the bar from half back line etc.

If you go back 21 years you have 8 football county and 7 hurling county AI winners. I rest my case.

If you go back 21 years you have 8 football county and 7 hurling county AI winners. I rest my case.

I think the point being made is blindingly obvious but you don't want to take it on board.
    It isn't about AI winners.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Look at semi finalists in that period then? It isnt all about winners of the all ireland you cant just look at that

I think the point being made is blindingly obvious but you don't want to take it on board.
    It isn't about AI winners.

Go ahead. Enlighten me.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,075 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

The massive scoring in hurling games, in particular this year, is getting a bit ridiculous tbh. 25+ points by each team is now routine. Definitely think the ball needs a bit of weight added. The players are bigger and more powerful than ever and at this stage can nearly hit the ball the length of the field.

Go ahead. Enlighten me.

There is a far higher standard across the football championship as a whole than the hurling one.

It's glaringly obvious that there are more teams capable of knocking each other out than there is in hurling that is. It seems to me to be ever decreasing in competitive teams. Would there even be 6?

There is a far higher standard across the football championship as a whole than the hurling one.

It's glaringly obvious that there are more teams capable of knocking each other out than there is in hurling that is. It seems to me to be ever decreasing in competitive teams. Would there even be 6?

Try again, Francie. I was responding to a poster who claimed the hurling pool is small. I gave you the stats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Think both games are a joy to watch as regards skill level, really the big thing for me is the huge drive and get up and get on with the players have and to see joe canning in full flow would leave Neymar as only a hand bag, Great to watch.

What’s your case?

Football as a whole is more competitive than hurling - weaker counties can beat stronger teams on their day as it’s not as easy to score - ala Kildare v Mayo - huge shock

When was the last big big shock of similar nature in hurling?

Your comment about All Ireland in last 21 years - why did you pick 21? Of those football teams how many were from Ulster? For the hurling teams many were from Ulster?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

What’s your case?

Football as a whole is more competitive than hurling - weaker counties can beat stronger teams on their day as it’s not as easy to score - ala Kildare v Mayo - huge shock

Your comment about All Ireland in last 21 years - why did you pick 21? Of those football teams how many were from Ulster? For the hurling teams many were from Ulster?
    There aren't many big shocks in hurling because it is competitive, if Wexford beats Kilkenny its not a big shock. Any division 1 team can beat any other team on the day.

There is a drop off to tier 2 counties, but the tier 1 is hugely competitive unlike Football where you knew before the season started that Dublin will win with maybe Kerry or Mayo making the final

• Advertisement

namloc1980 wrote: »
    The massive scoring in hurling games, in particular this year, is getting a bit ridiculous tbh. 25+ points by each team is now routine. Definitely think the ball needs a bit of weight added. The players are bigger and more powerful than ever and at this stage can nearly hit the ball the length of the field.

The majority of points from play are scored from within the opposition half. Free takers can convert long distance chances but thats a rare skill that should be rewarded.

There's nothing wrong with high scoring games. It makes them exciting if teams can potentially recover from being 9 points down like on Saturday or 6 points down on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Akrasia wrote: »
    There is a drop off to tier 2 counties

Now there is an understatement.

A division 3 side beat a division 1 side in the football championship this season, the chances of that ever happening in hurling are non existent I would imagine.

A core group of 5/6 teams having shootouts between each other, its all a bit shallow to me.

There aren't many big shocks in hurling because it is competitive, if Wexford beats Kilkenny its not a big shock. Any division 1 team can beat any other team on the day.

There is a drop off to tier 2 counties, but the tier 1 is hugely competitive unlike Football where you knew before the season started that Dublin will win with maybe Kerry or Mayo making the final

You guys fail to see the points that are being made. Your saying that there are no major shocks cause it’s competitive among a handful of teams. 10 I think?

It’s not possible for a randon team to pull off the shock of the decade cause they are not allow to complete for Liam. Whereas in football you have 33 teams?

The original poster said that hurling had improved - if that means by a handful of teams is that improvement on a whole?

Also neither Mayo nor Kerry will be in the final this year so your point there is kinda off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭cms88

You guys fail to see the points that are being made. Your saying that there are no major shocks cause it’s competitive among a handful of teams. 10 I think?

It’s not possible for a randon team to pull off the shock of the decade cause they are not allow to complete for Liam. Whereas in football you have 33 teams?

The original poster said that hurling had improved - if that means by a handful of teams is that improvement on a whole?

Also neither Mayo nor Kerry will be in the final this year so your point there is kinda off.

I wouldn't waste your time. There's nothing more deluded than a hurling snob

What’s your case?

Makes his case look better of course. Just so he can add Offaly into it, team who haven't been even close to winning anything for also 20 years now

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Where I come from there was no hurling at all, so I played football. When I got too old and decrepit to play football I lost interest in the game but I enjoy watching hurling matches on TV.
    I often ask myself why, if its is a better game, hurling has not become the dominant GAA game. Why is it still only played at a high level in a handful of counties despite strenuous efforts by the GAA to promote hurling in the non-traditional areas.
    I think part of the answer lies in the attitudes of hurling people themselves. They regard their game as surperior and an essential part of being Irish. They regard Gaelic football as some kind of bastardised mixture of rugby and soccer and therefore not really 'Irish' at all. Sport should not be politicised in this way.
    Those who claim that hurling is the best field game in the world should ask themselves the question: 'Why hasn't hurling spread to the rest of Ireland, never mind the rest of the world?'. The answer may lie in their own political attitudes and how they connect the sport you play with your politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

What’s your case?

Huge shock?? 2 Div 1 teams, i think the bookies had Kildare at 6-4 and Mayo 8-13 on the day, if thats a huge shock in your mind well............

A division 3 side beat a division 1 side in the football championship this season, the chances of that ever happening in hurling are non existent I would imagine.

A core group of 5/6 teams having shootouts between each other, its all a bit shallow to me.

Indeed. Nothing shallow at all about Dublin playing practically every championship game at home. Steamrolling other Leinster teams by scorelines comparable to the hurling ones that people here are giving out about. Nothing shallow about Croke Park miraculously being classed as both a home and a neutral venue for the Dubs.

Nothing shallow about seeding the Munster Football Championship to virtually guarantee a Cork V Kerry final every year. A match which Kerry usually win without much fuss.

Football is more competitive at a level just below the elite, there's no doubt about that. Beyond that though, there's a smaller pool of teams that can realistically win the All Ireland in a given year than there is in hurling now that KilKenny's dominance has ended.

There are 12 teams in Division 1a and Division 1b
    In division 1b there are 3 teams that aren't up to pace (laois, Antrim and Offaly) so that's 9 competitive teams in one championship that are capable of beating each other on any given day.

• Advertisement

There are 12 teams in Division 1a and Division 1b
    In division 1b there are 3 teams that aren't up to pace (laois, Antrim and Offaly) so that's 9 competitive teams in one championship that are capable of beating each other on any given day.

Really? :rolleyes:

Limerick beat Kilkenny for the first time in almost 45 years only a few weeks ago. Waterford beat them last year for the first time in 50 years. So any given day every 40 decades or so...

Advertisement