Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hurling V Football

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Fred1983

Have to say the hurling is streets ahead of football this year. Football would be my first choice through the years but I’m getting it very hard to watch it now. Things will have to change or football will be left behind,

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭conor05

Bridge93 wrote: »
    There was 41 wides in yesterday’s game. It was incredibly exciting to watch but the standard was not particularly high there either. Both have more to give next week
    Enjoyment and standard tend to correlate but it’s not absolute

The standard wasn’t particularly high? You must be joking.
    Some of the scores yesterday were the best I have ever seen.
    The first touch of the Clare hurlers was immense from 20mins onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,338 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Well thats because they dont play negative tactics of passing the ball around their own half. Alot harder to block in hurling as at a high speed.

Football has gone backwards. Dublin v Mayo was the only game worth watching over the last few years
    Why would they play it around their own half when you can knock it over the bar from your own half? Not comparing like with like at all

• Registered Users Posts: 7,576 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

I won’t be happy until hurling gets the worldwide recognition it deserves

• Registered Users Posts: 27,272 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I am not as convinced by hurling as a spectacle.

It is becoming pretty one-dimensional. All long-range scoring. There was a time when a good defence was essential. Nowadays, all you need is good shooting.

Shoot-outs are exciting, but it is a superficial experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭mattser

mullinr2 wrote: »
    Another hurling cracker. We've had at least 6 top class games. Haven't watched any football games this year. I just find the game has gone to the dogs

Football has been in decline for a good few years. Utterly depressing stuff.
    The 2 hurling semis were a joy to behold. Really looking forward to Sunday's replay.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭megadodge

They were ok but the standard was poor

If you thought the standard was 'poor' you're basically admitting that you don't want to enjoy a football match.

The Armagh-Roscommon match was the most enjoyable match I've seen in a long, long time and the vast majority of people who actually saw it were in agreement, if match reports, social media and general conversation is anything to go by. Some of the attacking play and scoring was of the highest order..... but of course the miserable whingers that usually complain about defensive football, all of a sudden did a complete U-turn and were complaining about 'poor defending'.

The reality is that some people just spend their time whinging and cannot be pleased.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,235 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

fullstop wrote: »
    Why would they play it around their own half when you can knock it over the bar from your own half? Not comparing like with like at all

People scoring from their own half of the field, what does that tell you about the real state of hurling? All these big scorelines and people **** over them, to me it's no different to watching a game of basketball.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭cms88

This always annoys me, the only one's who are worried about it are ''hurling people''

Still don't know who anyone can compare the two seeing as they're totally different sports.

Also if hurling is indeed the greatest sport in the world, why does it's fan have to belittle other sports to try and get that point across?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Without questioning which is 'better', I've always wondered why, if hurling is considered more enjoyable/skillful/pure etc etc, is Gaelic football played more widely across the country? Only about 9 or 10 counties play hurling in any serious capacity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

The sliothar needs abouts 3 ounces adding to it to eliminate 90mtr points. You cannot debate two different sports, both are good in their own right.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,275 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

conor05 wrote: »
    The standard wasn’t particularly high? You must be joking.
    Some of the scores yesterday were the best I have ever seen.
    The first touch of the Clare hurlers was immense from 20mins onwards.

3 points from sideline cuts yesterday and another one today. The standards in terms of skill is immense at the top level.
    Agreed that both games saw periods where teams lost composure and made handling and tactical errors

Also, hurling, when the right referee is in charge is an intense physical battle with hard tackling and individual contests and battles around the pitch.

Football doesn't seem to have this anymore and the tackle in football needs to be properly defined to allow defenders contest for the ball

• Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Nothing wrong with the long scores in hurling at all. It forces teams to be switched on and work hard as they'll be punished otherwise. Scoring from those distances is not as easy as people think either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

BloodyBill wrote: »
    You're clueless about hurling. There's no lashing the ball..that's gone for years

Last night's game would dictate otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

No contest!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,275 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Without questioning which is 'better', I've always wondered why, if hurling is considered more enjoyable/skillful/pure etc etc, is Gaelic football played more widely across the country? Only about 9 or 10 counties play hurling in any serious capacity
    Hurling has unique skills that take years to perfect. Football can be picked up and played by anyone who has played soccer or rugby.

Edit: I'm not saying football isn't skilful too, just that you can develop lots of those skills playing sports other than Gaelic Football, but hurling skills need to be developed playing hurling. And the fact that the skills are difficult to develop and specific to the sport. Means that its harder for smaller clubs to field a full team of players at a competitive level throughout the development cycle and into senior level.

The worst sporting spectacles I have ever had the misfortune to be at were hurling matches it has to be said. A Fermanagh-Monaghan encounter being the worst ever. How men didn't die is beyond me. :D

Not all hurling is great.

Yeah, sometimes I think the whole "hurling is the greatest thing ever" comes from those who tune into the odd game late in the championship when elite players are playing on the best surfaces in the height of summer.

Imo bad hurling is far more common than bad football. And at junior B level it looks like hockey for people with no hand eye co-ordination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Niles Crane

Nothing wrong with the long scores in hurling at all. It forces teams to be switched on and work hard as they'll be punished otherwise. Scoring from those distances is not as easy as people think either.

I'd disagree with that.

If only the very best players were hitting really long range scores you'd have a point but basically any player on the field at inter county level whether they are a corner back or corner forward can pop the ball over the bar from long range without much difficulty.

I'd disagree with that.

If only the very best players were hitting really long range scores you'd have a point but basically any player on the field at inter county level whether they are a corner back or corner forward can pop the ball over the bar from long range without much difficulty.

Well they'd have the range alright, but not always the accuracy. Especially when under pressure. No way would you pop one over from that distance when on the run. Games in Croke Park probably make the distance shooting look easier too with the stands providing a bit of a shelter from the elements.

Regardless, it keeps teams honest when they can be punished from that distance. Football teams can retreat deep into their own half safe in the knowledge that any shot taken out near the sideline or little further beyond the 21 there's a good chance it will go wide or drop short.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67,228 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Well they'd have the range alright, but not always the accuracy. Especially when under pressure. No way would you pop one over from that distance when on the run. Games in Croke Park probably make the distance shooting look easier too with the stands providing a bit of a shelter from the elements.

Regardless, it keeps teams honest when they can be punished from that distance. Football teams can retreat deep into their own half safe in the knowledge that any shot taken out near the sideline or little further beyond the 21 there's a good chance it will go wide or drop short.

Well, it routinely takes huge numbers out of the game watching balls sailing over their heads.

What is the hurling guys want here...to give half the footballers sticks or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,171 ✭✭✭✭Water John

There is no hit and hope in hurling at the top level. Really a fantastic game. The two sports that require a whole range of talents, reaction, hand eye coordination, short speed, etc are tennis and hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Hurling is far superior atm & I am not a huge fan of GAA.

But Hurling has improved. Much less hit & hope & better passing makes it better than it was is the past,
    My only problem with hurling is the ball's may be too light as keepers can drive the ball to the opposition 21.

Well, it routinely takes huge numbers out of the game watching balls sailing over their heads.

What is the hurling guys want here...to give half the footballers sticks or something?

Yet the top scorers from play are almost always the forwards.

Yet the top scorers from play are almost always the forwards.

We were talking about long range hits.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,235 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Water John wrote: »
    There is no hit and hope in hurling at the top level.

Thats rather the point, its hit with no need for hope. Get into space around the middle of the field, line up your shot and bag another point for the ever burgeoning tally.

And what is the point in claiming it isn't easy? It happens repeatedly in all these "classic" matches, when something is commonplace then there is nothing special about it.

Players shooting from their own 45, goalkeepers launching the ball into their own corner forwards, if it was a soccer game people would be pointing out the long ball tactics.

We were talking about long range hits.

I know, and his point was that scoring from range takes a huge number of players out of the game when in reality the majority of scores from play come from passes into the forwards. Often worked up through the field by running and passing movements. Lads here are criticising the distant scoring as if hurling is just some tit for tat shootout from 80 or 90 metres.

Thats rather the point, its hit with no need for hope. Get into space around the middle of the field, line up your shot and bag another point for the ever burgeoning tally.

What a laughably simple view of the game.
    Players shooting from their own 45, goalkeepers launching the ball into their own corner forwards, if it was a soccer game people would be pointing out the long ball tactics.

It isn't soccer though. Silly point.

I know, and his point was that scoring from range takes a huge number of players out of the game when in reality the majority of scores from play come from passes into the forwards. Often worked up through the field by running and passing movements. Lads here are criticising the distant scoring as if hurling is just some tit for tat shootout from 80 or 90 metres.

No that was my point. :confused::confused:

It is getting more and more prevalent the long hits of the ball either for position or scoring.
    It will get like the big serve in tennis, which finished me watching it.

• Advertisement

No that was my point. :confused::confused:

It is getting more and more prevalent the long hits of the ball either for position or scoring.
    It will get like the big serve in tennis, which finished me watching it.

On the contrary, long hit balls are becoming less prevalent. Clare were probably the pioneers (often to their detriment) of the short passing/running game. It's been adopted by pretty much every top side now. Short puckouts are a major part of the game, when in the past they were just driven long.

Advertisement