Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liam Miller - An Irish Solution To An Irish Problem

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    'Grab All Association ' is not just a catchy phrase.

In fairness it's a phrase usually used by idiots

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭WanderlustIre

Let them give back the 30 million so.

That's your retort. There was no conditions around PUC being renovated that included sports outside the GAA had to be allowed play.

It's a gaelic ground for Gaelic sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Why do people keep going on about the FAI should own a stadium big enough to hold this? Very few of any own stadiums. The English FA are looking to sell the only one they own. Most stadiums around the world are either privately owned by clubs or run by local government. To suggest the FAI should own multiple stadiums is crazy. The lOI clubs have a multi billion Euro competitor next door plus several other much bigger leagues to compete with in Europe alone. A country our size with multiple sports can't have 10k plus stadiums run by the governing body. Who comes up with this?

Yeah that's grand but the GAA do own stadiums, it's just the way it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

That's your retort. There was no conditions around PUC being renovated that included sports outside the GAA had to be allowed play.

Not true.The EU had to approve the government grant and they recommended that the stadium should not be discriminatory and opened to other groups,sports etc.Google it.

• Advertisement

Not true.The EU had to approve the government grant and they recommended that the stadium should not be discriminatory and opened to other groups,sports etc.Google it.

But you must follow the process

• Registered Users Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭jackboy

They got the government funding as part of the rugby world cup bid. So, actually it was not redeveloped for Gaelic games.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,973 ✭✭✭✭rob316

"The GAA, no to foreign sports!"**

**Unless we benefit from them.

Show me the conditions that it was issued on. They are not there.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,626 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'll tell you a little story from way back, 1991 to be exact.
    I was at the gate going into a Connacht semi-final. A man ahead of me was carrying his young child who I'd guess was maybe three years old. He paid his money but was told by the man on the stall that he had to pay for the child as well. The man didn't have the money to pay for his child and was told the child couldn't go in unless he paid for him.
    I intervened and paid for the child.

That ahole on the stall is a typical GAA type, a thick, stupid man who just goes along with stupid rules without ever thinking of the world from a broader standpoint.

I got very fed up of all the idiotic rules many years ago. I have no involvement with a club anymore, I go to the odd game nowadays, even though it pains me to give money to the gaa, but used to go to almost every game my county played annually.

The day I see a good man in charge with a bit of intelligence who has a realistic view of the wider picture I'll seriously contemplate getting involved again.

This whole fiasco could have been avoided if the thick, stupid types had not been involved.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

They have

When?

Have a look at state funding rules as set down by the EU.

In fairness it's a phrase usually used by idiots

Maybe, but it's still a fairly accurate description.

Have a look at state funding rules as set down by the EU.

I can tell you now no where does it mention football needs to be played. It was issued under a directive regarding infrastructure for a sporting association and it ain't the FAI.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

I'd be curious to know how much of a take the injured players fund will take from the gate here. Don't get me wrong it is a fantastic cause but I would be wary of them piggybacking on the hospice fundraiser which could potentially turn into another PR nightmare for the GAA.

I can tell you now no where does it mention football needs to be played. It was issued under a directive regarding infrastructure for a sporting association and it ain't the FAI.

No specific sport is mentioned but if public funds are used, discrimination towards other sports is not allowed. The GAA can of course pay back the 30 million and the requirement is removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Okon

Gaelic stadiums for Gaelic sports, I believe this is the right decision in the sense of what it is for. But a once off.

It is the right decision for this occasion, but most of us don't have a problem with showing off our lovely stadium on the banks of the Lee to others either... as long as it doesn't affect our own teams.

The GAA are the pillars of the community and we in Cork are proud of Páirc Uí Chaoimh, so it should be used how our CB see fit without having rules imposed on it by HQ. If that meant more non-GAA community events, if they were acceptable to our CB, so be it.

Okon wrote: »
    It is the right decision for this occasion, but most of us don't have a problem with showing off our lovely stadium on the banks of the Lee to others either... as long as it doesn't affect our own teams.

The GAA are the pillars of the community and we in Cork are proud of Páirc Uí Chaoimh, so it should be used how our CB see fit without having rules imposed on it by HQ. If that meant more non-GAA community events, if they were acceptable to our CB, so be it.

GAA isn't autonomous. The CB operates under the guidelines set by HQ. I believe the sport is so successful because of that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

P_1 wrote: »
    I'd be curious to know how much of a take the injured players fund will take from the gate here. Don't get me wrong it is a fantastic cause but I would be wary of them piggybacking on the hospice fundraiser which could potentially turn into another PR nightmare for the GAA.

I dont think the GAA are looking for anything out of the funds raised.

dixiefly wrote: »

No but it suits peoples agenda to hammer the GAA, so sounds better if they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

dixiefly wrote: »

Ah that's fair enough. The reporting was unclear on what was going to happen in that regard. Not using it as a stick to beat anyone with, just pointing out another potential PR nightmare that could be on the horizon.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,312 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Even when trying to save face the GAA manages to let their greed come to the fore.

CGqyXs9UkAAI4vk.jpg

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Deflection gorm....?

rob316 wrote: »
    "The GAA, no to foreign sports!"**

**Unless we benefit from them.

You must have been in a coma for over a decade?

Deflection gorm....?

No it just shows how ridiculous your comment is.

The GAA are willing to open thier stadiums to other sports if is agreed.

Like Croke Park for example.

In complete contrast to the FAI who delberatly made the ground smaller so it would not be suited to Gaelic games.

The AVIVA was originally supposed to be a stadium for all sports, but that idea was quickly shelved.

Also you seem to be implying that the GAA are trying to make money out of this.

Not true.

The GAA are always willing to help those less fortunate in society.

Plus they are willing to help less fortunate sporting organisations like the FAI.

No it just shows how ridiculous your comment is.

In your opinion, still deflection though. The GAA scored a spectacular own goal this week in terms of bad publicity.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,112 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The GAA will sell out their stadia for the Rolling Stones or Garth Brooks concerts, but when it comes to letting a football charity game be played to help an Irish family, they start chatting about the Brits banning Gaelic games 100 years ago.

Why do us Irish love looking into the past so much?

As long as gaelic stadia are built with tax payers contributing to the cost, they don't get to veto everything, but that's my opinion. Many won't agree with it. If they want to veto everything and own the stadia for themselves, then build them WITHOUT my money.

jimd2 wrote: »
    https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/liam-miller-tribute-match-set-to-go-ahead-at-pirc-u-chaoimh-alongside-hurling-curtain-raiser-37162619.html

So the GAA see the only way out of this mess is to play an additional hurling game to make it into a community event.

Considering that they are organising a meeting of Central Council could they not just consider the request given and support the fundraiser and not try to implement this hotch potch of a solution?

And then as appropriate arRange proper GAA fundraisers good GAA related causes.

In my mind it's just over complicating things and seems to outsiders to be doing the minimum to take Shane Ross and other politicians that control the purse strings off their backs.

I do not agree with Duff that they are dinosaurs. I just feel that in Tom Ryan they appointed a very "safe" director general who is afraid to make a brave decision. Joe Brolly predicted this when he was appointed. It doesnt bode well for the association going forward.

Message to GAA JUST GIVE PERMISSION FOR THE GAME AS REQUESTED AND GET ON WITH IT.

I agree with what you say about the Duff comments, and the DG.

But I have a number of issues to this post.

1) The title of the thread 'An Irish Solution to an Irish Problem' : what problem?

The organisers were more then willing to play the game in turners cross.
    Until those with various agendas some altrustic and some not created a furore when they found out PUC was initially denied

2) What is wrong with the GAA setting up a charity game for the Liam Miller tribute with the money going to the hospice.
    Is GAA money not legal tender or something?

In your opinion, still deflection though. The GAA scored a spectacular own goal this week in terms of bad publicity.

What you mean it even overshadowed

http://www.punditarena.com/irish-football/smcmahon/bray-wanderers-players-sale-club-unable-pay-wages/

https://www.dublinlive.ie/sport/bray-wanderers-pay-outstanding-debts-14929283

And the like?

If it was that was very cleverly done, clap, clap.

• Advertisement

The organisers were more then willing to play the game in turners cross. Until those with various agendas some altrustic and some not created a furore when they found out PUC was initially denied

It was a reporter who asked at the press conference why the game was not being held in PUiC. The storm broke from then.
    Take off your tin foil hat it's on too tight!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement