Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker **Spoilers from post 2076**

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Runaway hit highest gross beating The force Awakens
    Can you crack one off with the force? You’d hafta to try though right? Makes sense. All them Jedi living in a temple. Celeibate. Taking children from their parents and never see them again.
    This is very disturbing familiar.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭DrSpongeBobz

Never ending money machine

py2006 wrote: »

Dominic Monaghans name has also been removed from the cast list.
    All very odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

All very odd.

That's not odd, that's just a good decision.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It was apparently only Disney's international sites that ever listed their names, so presumedly it was a mistake. Their roles are probably very small.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,827 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Well, he is only hobbit sized.

Heyis :)

So there’s kind of a leak out there. Be careful what you open.

Hey Tony! Missed you!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Total flop and a financial loss for Disney
    All very odd.

Were there not pictures of him standing beside Richard E. Grant on set in full Imp uniform released a while back?

Venom wrote: »
    Were there not pictures of him standing beside Richard E. Grant on set in full Imp uniform released a while back?

That was Domhnall(?) Gleeson I thought?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Total flop and a financial loss for Disney
    That was Domhnall(?) Gleeson I thought?

It was. I got the names mixed up :o

Venom wrote: »
    It was. I got the names mixed up :o

I can never spell his name right. But Americans calling him dom-nawl does my brain in :) least I can pronounce it right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Cryptopagan

Heyis :)

So there’s kind of a leak out there. Be careful what you open.

Hey Tony! Missed you!

How spoilery is this leak?

How spoilery is this leak?

I’m not even sure I’m staying away from it. None of the trustworthy outlets have reported it though so it’s probably some reddit nonsense maybe?
    I would love to go complete black out for this one. Loved the trailer. So much stuff going on. Clone wars era Star destroyer in it especially got me excited. Maybe JJ somehow truly is tying all three trilogies together. How though god knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭Relikk

Clone wars era Star destroyer in it especially got me excited.

Eh? Where?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭tigger123

I’m not even sure I’m staying away from it. None of the trustworthy outlets have reported it though so it’s probably some reddit nonsense maybe?
    I would love to go complete black out for this one. Loved the trailer. So much stuff going on. Clone wars era Star destroyer in it especially got me excited. Maybe JJ somehow truly is tying all three trilogies together. How though god knows.

Tieing the 3 trilogies together would be amazing.

Relikk wrote: »
    Eh? Where?

This shot. Looks like an a wing flying by it. It’s blink and you miss it but it’s a Jedi cruiser from from CW apparently. *Venator class

The-Rise-of-Skywalker-25.jpg

tigger123 wrote: »
    Tieing the 3 trilogies together would be amazing.

Best way to do that and the main thread running through all three is /could be Anakin Skywalker :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭Relikk

This shot. Looks like an a wing flying by it. It’s blink and you miss it but it’s a Jedi cruiser from from CW apparently. *Venator class

Yeah I saw that, but it looked like an Imperial Star Destroyer to me. Acronyms are going to be annoying here, but the brief glimpse of the bridge/deflector shield section looks more like an ISD or a First Order SD rather than a CW era SD.

Relikk wrote: »
    Yeah I saw that, but it looked like an Imperial Star Destroyer to me. Acronyms are going to be annoying here, but the brief glimpse of the bridge/deflector shield section looks more like an ISD or a First Order SD rather than a CW era SD.

Yeah it’s not clear enough. But the red stripe and the sort of open top on it has people saying it’s CW era one. Who knows. Someone said it’s got the double bridge / two heads. I can’t see that

• Advertisement

Daisy Ridley says Reys parents will be known by the end of episode IX.

Doesn't have to be a Skywalker, but anything is better than the TLJ version.

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/movies/2019/07/01/daisy-ridley-talks-star-wars-last-jedi-backlash-feminist-ophelia/1612188001/

Q: "The Force Awakens" was a familiar, fun reintroduction to the "Star Wars" universe, while "The Last Jedi" was a darker, riskier installment. How does "The Rise of Skywalker" compare?

Ridley: Genre-wise, it’s different from the other two, which will become clear when the film comes out. It's quite emotional. There's a different drive than the previous two films, but there's a lot of fun. I really missed John (Boyega) during the last one, but we're back together and now Oscar (Isaac) is part of it. To me, it felt like kids going on an adventure.

Q: There's been an intense obsession with Rey's parents, and many fans were dissatisfied when they were revealed to be "nobodies" in "The Last Jedi." Is there more to their story in the new film?

Ridley: (Director J.J. Abrams) did say the question is answered. So at the end of the film, you do know what the dealio is.

Q: Writer/director Rian Johnson received a ton of backlash online after "The Last Jedi," with many fans petitioning to remake the film and redeem Luke Skywalker's character. Were you surprised at all by the controversy?

Ridley: I wasn't surprised, no. It’s just a different thing. Everyone’s going to have an opinion now anyway on the internet, but I also think it’s fair. If people hold something incredibly dear and think they know how it should be and it's not like that, it’s fair for people to think they were done wrong. It doesn’t mean they were – ultimately, Rian’s a filmmaker and one person can’t dictate how a film is supposed to be – but freedom of expression, sure.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,143 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

If they pull a 180 on this, then I call Abrams and Disney out for being total, craven cowards. Own the "mistake", don't try to retcon.

Rey's parentage was a choice; one that IMO worked to form her character arc in the story, heck the whole film. Greatness isn't inherited, anyone can be a Jedi. To me, that's a pretty cool message.

Fair enough if some didn't like it, but there's nothing more pathetic and narratively bankrupt than watching writers cravenly rewrite a story to placate ... what? Noisy fanboys on the internet? "Death of the Author" truly is the name of the game here, if Disney are that cowardly.

We'll see: maybe the writing can somehow work the "pauper parents" angle and still keep the fans happy. But ... yeah. yeesh.

My bet is Kerri Russell’s character is the mam. Rey and Kylo seem to be mirror images or two halves of a whole. Have Kylo meeting his mother again. Have Rey meeting hers. Ridley definitely has the acting chops to carry out a big emotional scene like that. As does Driver. The parent doesn’t have to be and can’t be Luke or some famous Jedi. The force chose her awoke in her blah blah. I don’t think the message was ‘anyone can be a jedi’ rather it was the force is on all of us. Some people can just learn how to use it.

Plus i wouldn’t call this a ‘mistake’ or a retcon. It’s a question that was set up in force awakens. Now it’s being answered in the final act.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,143 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

My bet is Kerri Russell’s character is the mam. Rey and Kylo seem to be mirror images or two halves of a whole. Have Kylo meeting his mother again. Have Rey meeting hers. Ridley definitely has the acting chops to carry out a big emotional scene like that. As does Driver. The parent doesn’t have to be and can’t be Luke or some famous Jedi. The force chose her awoke in her blah blah. I don’t think the message was ‘anyone can be a jedi’ rather it was the force is on all of us. Some people can just learn how to use it.

Plus i wouldn’t call this a ‘mistake’ or a retcon. It’s a question that was set up in force awakens. Now it’s being answered in the final act.

It was answered in Last Jedi. An emotional gut-punch to Rey's continuous obsession for a parental lodestone: first her mythical parents coming back to rescue her any minute; then Han; then Luke. She learned to craft her own destiny...

I mean if you didn't like it, then fair enough. But it's fairly well known at this stage a cadre of fanboys sh*t the bed over Last Jedi, including Rey's parentage not being ... yeah I'm not even sure what they wanted, or expected

(Obviously, that's a maybe, we'll see but given how terrified Disney now are of fans...)

pixelburp wrote: »
    It was answered in Last Jedi. An emotional gut-punch to Rey's continuous obsession for a parental lodestone: first her mythical parents coming back to rescue her any minute; then Han; then Luke. She learned to craft her own destiny...

I mean if you didn't like it, then fair enough. But it's fairly well known at this stage a cadre of fanboys sh*t the bed over Last Jedi, including Rey's parentage not being ... yeah I'm not even sure what they wanted, or expected

(Obviously, that's a maybe, we'll see but given how terrified Disney now are of fans...)

They aren’t though. It’s a group of about 400 ranting trolls ranting whenever the latest big release is out nothing but complaining. Disney aren’t even worried.

The outrage has already kicked off on twitter about her comments.

Weeeeeirdly, they are also taking her comments and framing them as ‘see??? Even SHE HATES THE LAST JEDI!!’

You can’t win with these morons.

It wasn’t really answered in the last Jedi. He was trying to emotionally manipulate her to take advantage. He touched a nerve too and found her biggest fear, not necessarily the reality of what happened.
    We’re getting an answer and I think it would be a huge hole or flaw in the trilogy if it hadn’t been addressed. It’ll all come down to the writing and execution of it but JJ is good at writing big feels I think

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

This is no different than the "I am your father" twist in 1980. Many fans back then didn't believe it either and thought it would be revealed that Vader was lying. Abrams may complicate Kylo's account of what happened (much as Obi-wan complicated the "I am your father" twist by explaining that Vader was once a good man) but I don't think he will retcon it. Not least because Kylo being a liar simply isn't an option. Rey already knows who her parents were and they were never coming back for her. It's there in the first trailer for TFA: "who are you?" "I'm no one". She already knew the truth, Kylo just got her to admit it to herself.

They’re obviously a factor in this new one. We’re finding out who they were and or why they left or hid her.
    Her and her mysterious past was one of the major plot elements of that first fupm and easily and by far the biggest talking point and source of speculation in that entire film.
    I’d safely guess a lot of the unhappiness with the following film was it didn’t address that at all and it and she was dealt a brutal blow by kylo (and the writing).
    I’m delighted she gets to find out. And all of us. People are going to love it and hate it in equal measure. But they will anyways

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Her parents being nobody could mirror perfectly fine "from a certain point of view" with Obi Wans lie about Vader killing Anakin. Maybe Luke thought they were nobodies.

This is no different than the "I am your father" twist in 1980. Many fans back then didn't believe it either and thought it would be revealed that Vader was lying. Abrams may complicate Kylo's account of what happened (much as Obi-wan complicated the "I am your father" twist by explaining that Vader was once a good man) but I don't think he will retcon it. Not least because Kylo being a liar simply isn't an option. Rey already knows who her parents were and they were never coming back for her. It's there in the first trailer for TFA: "who are you?" "I'm no one". She already knew the truth, Kylo just got her to admit it to herself.

In Empire the truth of Vader’s statement is reinforced by the Force link between them, where Luke calls out for him, “Father!” I don’t think TLJ stressed Rey’s parentage as forcefully.

It would be a boring plot point to reopen. Hope they don’t go there.

• Advertisement

Reportedly the Japanese title is Dawn of Skywalker, which is a marginal improvement I guess.

Advertisement