Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker **Spoilers from post 2076**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭El Duda

Runaway hit highest gross beating The force Awakens
    Is Dawn Skywalker Rey's Mum?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

It wasn’t really answered in the last Jedi. He was trying to emotionally manipulate her to take advantage. He touched a nerve too and found her biggest fear, not necessarily the reality of what happened.
    Quite possible.

I never believed that Kylo's "reveal" about Rey's parents was final and confirmed. Because a character says something doesn't make it canon. It would have suited Kylo to have her believe she was from nothing, and we also know SW has history in misdirection in this area.

Her parents may well turn out to be nothing, but if there's more to it in this movie then so be it. I don't understand why people feel it would have to be a retcon, rather than a misdirection on Kylo's part.

Is it because we are too aware of the clashes between the two directors of the trilogy? Are we assuming Johnson decided it was one way, and Abrams decided fcuk you and wanted to make more of it? If that behind the camera politics didn't exist would anyone be mad to discover that Kylo was simply lying?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,143 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Dades wrote: »
    Quite possible.

I never believed that Kylo's "reveal" about Rey's parents was final and confirmed. Because a character says something doesn't make it canon. It would have suited Kylo to have her believe she was from nothing, and we also know SW has history in misdirection in this area.

Her parents may well turn out to be nothing, but if there's more to it in this movie then so be it. I don't understand why people feel it would have to be a retcon, rather than a misdirection on Kylo's part.

Because I think it being the truth is valid when taken against the context of the rest of the movie, both in terms of what we see, and what's implied. Context is the key here IMO: scenes preceding Kylo's reveal all hinted, leaned into the idea of Rey being obsessed with where she came from; the biggest moment in that respect being her journey into Dark Side Cave, when her begging to know her parentage resulted in simply seeing herself. Rey made Rey, who her folks are ultimately didn't matter, and the reveal later that they were merely paupers underlining this.

I thought this was all really interesting depth in a character that in Episode VII was just a quippy, superficial hero type that hinted at some Grand Mystery (Box) as to who Rey's parents REALLY were (and because this is Abrams we're talking about, this was not a huge narrative leap of logic). Johnson threaded it into more of a tale about Rey coming to terms with the fact she was as self-made woman. Mix that in with the whole "kill the past" mantra, as well as the idea of Jedi powers being for everyone and not necessarily dynastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭brevity

How would Kylo know about Rey’s parents?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,546 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

brevity wrote: »

He did her family tree on findmypast.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,115 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Because Rian Johnson is a shit writer.

If we're going this road though, why didn't Rey not even question him? "How the hell do you know who my folks were? Get lost Marilyn."

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,143 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

... because in context she knew it to be true? Which again, was the point of her journey?

She grew up on a junkyard planet surrounded by low-level criminals and slumlords; it's an understandable, emotional arc that Rey clung onto a naive belief that her parents would come back & lift her off to a better life. Last Jedi threw a grenade into it and forced Rey to realise not only was she living in denial, but that she was looking for new surrogate parents. Even if Kylo didn't know for sure, it wasn't exactly a wild theory on his part that her parents were nobodies who abandoned a child on the arse pimple of the galaxy. Good people don't do that - junkies might though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Sure that fits in the context - or indeed as the catalyst for her journey to self belief.

But her search for the truth about her parents preceded her journey as a Jedi. They aren't the same arc.

Even if a parent turns up they might not be anything remarkable, like some ancient Jedi family, which would be a big upset to the narrative.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭Relikk

It wasn’t really answered in the last Jedi. He was trying to emotionally manipulate her to take advantage. He touched a nerve too and found her biggest fear, not necessarily the reality of what happened.

That's what I took from that sequence, as well. A similar attempt to how Palpatine manipulated Anakin by trying to convince him that embracing the dark side was the only way to save Padmé.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭brevity

pixelburp wrote: »
    ... because in context she knew it to be true? Which again, was the point of her journey?

She grew up on a junkyard planet surrounded by low-level criminals and slumlords; it's an understandable, emotional arc that Rey clung onto a naive belief that her parents would come back & lift her off to a better life. Last Jedi threw a grenade into it and forced Rey to realise not only was she living in denial, but that she was looking for new surrogate parents. Even if Kylo didn't know for sure, it wasn't exactly a wild theory on his part that her parents were nobodies who abandoned a child on the arse pimple of the galaxy. Good people don't do that - junkies might though.

I think it will be a case of them realising Rey had some power, it brought unwanted attention and they hid ray on Jaku to protect her.

• Advertisement

I think it will be a case of them realising Rey had some power, it brought unwanted attention and they hid ray on Jaku to protect her.

Probably, and as someone already said and I agree with, Keri Russell is likely going to be the "surprise" mother. It's just too much "chosen one" adjacent boll*cks for my blood and I liked Last Jedi's more naturalistic approach of a lead forging their own destiny, overcoming the "lie they tell themself" to use the scriptwriting trope.

pixelburp wrote: »

How does he know is the question though Pix, not whether she thinks it's true or not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Relikk wrote: »
    That's what I took from that sequence, as well. A similar attempt to how Palpatine manipulated Anakin by trying to convince him that embracing the dark side was the only way to save Padmé.

They’ve been In each other’s thers minds too we should recall.
    She discovers his biggest fear in force awakens (that he will never be as powerful(?) as Darth Vader, she has no hesitation of pushing his big button. He just did the same back with the taunt about her parents. And I think it was a taunt / attempt to break her, rather than a fact.

It very subtley touches on the ‘fear is the path to the dark side’ of it all. He wants her to join him. Using her biggest fear against her is his way of doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

The same way Vader knew that Leia was Lukes sister in Ep6, or that Yoda knew that Han and Leia at all were in danger on Cloud city in Ep5, with the force.

Tony EH wrote: »
    How does he know is the question though Pix, not whether she thinks it's true or not.

Honestly, I don't care how he knows; the emotional, character arcs that were at play worked enough for me that I wasn't that pushed how precisely the evil Space Wizard knew Rey's parents' fate. The point of the moment worked in context; as StopMoaning says, perhaps he just read her mind and speculated from her memories, it wasn't that wild a theory to think they were dead in paupers' graves. Nor was it that important a detail that it needed the otherwise tense scene grind to a halt for Rylo to go "ahaha, now I can your mind Rey" (obviously being a little flippant here).

Last Jedi has flaws in its script, I'm not in disagreement there and been quite open about it before; I don't honestly believe Rey's arc in the story was one of them - quite the opposite. It fleshed out someone who was as shallow as a puddle in Episode VII and made the "humble origins" trope work in a new and interesting way. How Rylo "knew" is kinda secondary.

One of the theories out there is that about the mirror cave. She sees countless versions of herself and at the mirror two shadows merge into one.
    The idea is she’s actually a clone. It’s not uninteresting but I’ll take the parents route over the Clone one if I had a choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭tigger123

Since Kylo has had a good rummage around Rey's mind, he was saying out loud to her what she already knew herself but couldn't accept.

It may be the case though that there's more to the story than previously thought. Star Wars has done that successfully in the past (that Vadar didn't kill Luke's father, that the gap in the reactor core in the Death Star was left there for a specific reason).

Star Wars had successfully used half truths in the past.

tigger123 wrote: »
    Since Kylo has had a good rummage around Rey's mind, he was saying out loud to her what she already knew herself but couldn't accept.

It may be the case though that there's more to the story than previously thought. Star Wars has done that successfully in the past (that Vadar didn't kill Luke's father, that the gap in the reactor core in the Death Star was left there for a specific reason).

Star Wars had successfully used half truths in the past.

Have to agree. It’s all truth, from a certain point of view, until the following film comes out and it isn’t.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

With the last scene being a "slave" using force powers to summon the broom I've a feeling that the big reveal will be that everyone now has the force and it's not just confined to a lucky few.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,585 ✭✭✭Inviere

Clareman wrote: »
    With the last scene being a "slave" using force powers to summon the broom I've a feeling that the big reveal will be that everyone now has the force and it's not just confined to a lucky few.

I've always felt that the case though, that anyone could be trained to use it, but some are just more sensitive to it than others. "The force is strong with you" etc etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Cryptopagan

Nah they’d be stuck for future films then, where everyone can now use the force, which would be lame.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The last slave to be shown to have major force powers didn't result in everyone in the galaxy suddenly being found to have them as well. Just had a very short lived force powerful dynasty (unless Kylo Ren has some offspring somewhere), North Korea has a longer running dynasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Have we retconned Midi-chlorians out of existence?

It never was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭xper

Reportedly the Japanese title is Dawn of Skywalker, which is a marginal improvement I guess.
    El Duda wrote: »
    Is Dawn Skywalker Rey's Mum?
    p06r9chk.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Not sure if this is true but it's certainly interesting:

Apparently
    footage from A New Hope will be used in this one.
    More info here

Can't get link to work, it's not a major spoiler anyway.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

py2006 wrote: »
    Not sure if this is true but it's certainly interesting:

Apparently
    footage from A New Hope will be used in this one.
    More info here

Can't get link to work, it's not a major spoiler anyway.

Fixed link

That’s one of the last Jedi hate sites/twitter accounts. Comicsgate crowd.
    Wouldn’t believe anything on it. They fabrica Ltd stories like this then rant and rave how awful the film is when their ‘story’ isn’t actually in the film. They have previous. .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

That’s one of the last Jedi hate sites/twitter accounts. Comicsgate crowd.
    Wouldn’t believe anything on it. They fabrica Ltd stories like this then rant and rave how awful the film is when their ‘story’ isn’t actually in the film. They have previous. .

Hmm, I'm sure there is a lot of last Jedi hate sites in fairness.

• Advertisement

Oh no

Advertisement