Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread X: [****]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Faugheen wrote: »
    But there were plenty of occasions where he didn’t just run into that blind alley?

His best qualities are his feet, let him use them.

Certainly has great feet, the point was he could perhaps give more service to his team if he could improve that decision making area of his game.
    When it’s on he should go for it, when it’s not on he should see that more often.
    I’m certain that his coaches will pick up on it, and hopefully he will improve that area of his game.
    If he could he would be even better then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,463 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

The times you're criticising him for are where he gets the ball at a standstill, with the touchline on one side, and several players opposite him. No space. He's not a magician, well, not quite. His job there is to secure possession, find support, ensure safe recycle. He's class and still learning, let's enjoy him.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Certainly has great feet, the point was he could perhaps give more service to his team if he could improve that decision making area of his game.
    When it’s on he should go for it, when it’s not on he should see that more often.
    I’m certain that his coaches will pick up on it, and hopefully he will improve that area of his game.

All I’m seeing is people saying he needs to improve that decision making.

At what point of last nights game was he caught out? When he’s cutting back inside to find a gap? In that situation, he’s there to retain possession and make as many yards as he can, not just throw it away because someone is beside him. The Dragon’s line was very well set for the most part last night, especially in the first half.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,993 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

In the first half we played a high speed, high risk offloading style which wasn't that successful. But it's something I'd like to see us persist with. We caught Dragons out a few times with our support runs following the initial bust.

Fardy threw some lovely skip passes to shift the point of attack. Drew in some tacklers then threw a long pass to backs who were unmarked. Might be something we see more of this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Did someone call for me?

461393.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,315 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

JGP had another fine game, he’s really pushing on now, he gives good tempo to the back line and makes some great sniping runs. His kick ahead for Larmour to score was perfect and you could see him taking a look before he kicked to weigh up the chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

salmocab wrote: »
    JGP had another fine game, he’s really pushing on now, he gives good tempo to the back line and makes some great sniping runs. His kick ahead for Larmour to score was perfect and you could see him taking a look before he kicked to weigh up the chances.

Yep he was excellent I thought. Has become a real asset.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭foxyladyxx

Yep he was excellent I thought. Has become a real asset.

I see that he is only 26 years old.. Thought he was more.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,357 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

15 thanks for this? You can see what someone is thinking?

You are effectively attributing blaming to a player who does not make a mistake, if defence of a player who actually makes a mistake. And the basis is that you can see what he is thinking.

This is all over dubious. And it's the second week in a row that Tomane has been blamed in this way. It's a curious approach. I understand the reasoning, but put yourself in Tomane's boots, he's getting criticised for something he didn't do, and the lad beside him who fcks up gets a free pass.

One of the most almightest whooshes in the history of boards

LOL

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

sydthebeat wrote: »
    15 thanks for this? You can see what someone is thinking?

You are effectively attributing blaming to a player who does not make a mistake, if defence of a player who actually makes a mistake. And the basis is that you can see what he is thinking.

This is all over dubious. And it's the second week in a row that Tomane has been blamed in this way. It's a curious approach. I understand the reasoning, but put yourself in Tomane's boots, he's getting criticised for something he didn't do, and the lad beside him who fcks up gets a free pass.

One of the most almightest whooshes in the history of boards

LOL

I think what makes it so funny is that he didn't even point out that Tomane wasn't actually on the pitch when Williams got that try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Random Bloke

Harsh yellow, and Sexton milked it, but hopefully every opposition team will now be aware of the likely consequences of cheap late hits on Sexton.

It's a good benchmark to set early in the season - had a yellow not been given, it would have encouraged others to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Moriarty changed his line to hit Sexton, it was a deliberate act and although there wasn’t much force in the hit, he deserved the card for just being a dick. I thought at first there was nothing in it, just a collision, but the fact he adjusted to make it happen makes it a fair call for a yellow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

He's not going to get caught out against the Dragons. That's the point. But his predictability will start to hurt him later on.

Even Sexton alluded to it, albeit jokingly, in the early days. I have no doubt he'll develop and add some extra tools. I'm just hoping it'll be sooner rather than later.

https://youtu.be/m9QrePed0p8

troyzer wrote: »
    He's not going to get caught out against the Dragons. That's the point. But his predictability will start to hurt him later on.

Even Sexton alluded to it, albeit jokingly, in the early days. I have no doubt he'll develop and add some extra tools. I'm just hoping it'll be sooner rather than later.

Larmour.. predictable?

Here's a bunch of Leinster's best tries from last season. A good few of the best are Larmour's at his unpredictable best, a good few assists from him and a fantastic dink through for Lowe's penalty try against Munster.

I can appreciate people are looking for sticks to beat him with, that's fine - but I'd really be picking things he actually needs to work on.

Also - that video from Sexton was an example of Larmour backing himself by calling for the ball, it wasn't a passing opportunity and that wasn't what Sexton was referring to, he was joking that Larmour called when we had an overlap the other side which means that neither Larmour nor whoever passed to him were aware of it.

I'm not sure what more you want from Larmour at this point in his career and why you have attached urgency to his need to improve. He came on in midfield in twickenham having never played there at senior level against England and wasn't out of place. That's quite exceptional versatility from a young wing. He's already miles ahead of where most of anyone would expect him to be. If he repeats last season he'll be doing very well.

New European kit apparently

tqc6xx9jklm11.jpg

tqc6xx9jklm11.jpg

Is that navy or black?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Even though its not a Leinster colour I hope black

salmocab wrote: »
    Is that navy or black?

On computer it looks navy, harder to tell on mobile

I hope so wouldn’t like to be leaving the blue

Larmour.. predictable?

Here's a bunch of Leinster's best tries from last season. A good few of the best are Larmour's at his unpredictable best, a good few assists from him and a fantastic dink through for Lowe's penalty try against Munster.

I can appreciate people are looking for sticks to beat him with, that's fine - but I'd really be picking things he actually needs to work on.

Also - that video from Sexton was an example of Larmour backing himself by calling for the ball, it wasn't a passing opportunity and that wasn't what Sexton was referring to, he was joking that Larmour called when we had an overlap the other side which means that neither Larmour nor whoever passed to him were aware of it.

I'm not sure what more you want from Larmour at this point in his career and why you have attached urgency to his need to improve. He came on in midfield in twickenham having never played there at senior level against England and wasn't out of place. That's quite exceptional versatility from a young wing. He's already miles ahead of where most of anyone would expect him to be. If he repeats last season he'll be doing very well.

You might be right. Maybe I'm being too harsh.

I think he's a brilliant player with loads of room to develop. I just think he trusts his legs a little too often and hasn't really been tested yet.

We'll see. As with all things, we'll know a lot more when the All Blacks come to town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Where’d the image come from, nothing on Leinster site or Lifestyle?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,415 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

It's fairly dress.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,415 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Dross

• Registered Users Posts: 5,974 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Nice win for Leinster. Good performance without being great. Blew a few chances early and that could have given a better team confidence and turned the match into a dog fight for 60 minutes. But Leinster made them pay for the YC and that was game over.

The YC was soft but correct. It was a cheap shot off the ball, it happens a lot in every game but Sexton made sure it got reviewed. If that causes players to cut it out then good.

JGP had his best game in a long time. If he plays like that every week then McGrath will struggle to get a start. Obviously it's a lot easier for a halfback to look good when their pack is smashing the opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

tqc6xx9jklm11.jpg

I was hoping for something a bit more adventurous than that :(

Kevski wrote: »

tqc6xx9jklm11.jpg

I was hoping for something a bit more adventurous than that :(

Yeah, I'm a bit down on the whole Adidas setup to be honest. The merchandise range is tiny and most of them are over priced and feel cheap.

None of the jerseys are interesting. All Adidas rugby jerseys are the same in a different colour with a half arsed "pattern".

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

Yeah, I'm a bit down on the whole Adidas setup to be honest. The merchandise range is tiny and most of them are over priced and feel cheap.

None of the jerseys are interesting. All Adidas rugby jerseys are the same in a different colour with a half arsed "pattern".

The adidas rugby jerseys are all the same same basic design but I wouldn’t say the same pattern. I’m a fan of the NZ super rugby jerseys and the munster home and european jerseys are nice too. The Leinster PRO14 Jersey is grand but this one would be a huge disappointment if it turned out to be the european jersey.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭A-Train

stephen_n wrote: »
    Where’d the image come from, nothing on Leinster site or Lifestyle?

It’s from a booklet handed out with the season ticket pack last night.

Kevski wrote: »

The adidas rugby jerseys are all the same same basic design but I wouldn’t say the same pattern. I’m a fan of the NZ super rugby jerseys and the munster home and european jerseys are nice too. The Leinster PRO14 Jersey is grand but this one would be a huge disappointment if it turned out to be the european jersey.

I meant that both the colour and pattern are the only things that are different.

Which I know sounds like the whole jersey but you get what I mean. The Leinster and Crusaders jersey are pretty much the same. The European jersey from last year was magnificent. This one looks so boring.

• Advertisement

By the way.

That picture is real. It's in the season ticket holder handbook, page 9. I'm looking at it now. I think it's black but it could be a really dark navy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement