Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread X: [****]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

troyzer wrote: »
    I meant that both the colour and pattern are the only things that are different.

Which I know sounds like the whole jersey but you get what I mean. The Leinster and Crusaders jersey are pretty much the same. The European jersey from last year was magnificent. This one looks so boring.

Same template maybe but you can’t say they’re pretty much the same jersey. Every manufacturare uses pretty much the same template for each team (in every sport) but tailors it from team to team.

https://cdn-03.independent.ie/incoming/article37195413.ece/AUTOCROP/w300-dyn/Leinster.jpg

https://rugby-corner.com/10003/maillot-rugby-crusaders-replica-domicile-2018-adulte-adidas-shop-rugby-corner.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Larmour.. predictable?

He done one of the best side steps I've ever seen in the tight towards the end of the game last night. He got tackled by someone else just after it but it was beautiful to watch. The guy is going to be a star if he can stay injury free

Edit: Quoted wrong post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Was great to see the whole squad out on the pitch after the match. RDS had emptied. They did a huddle for about a minute. The team spirit appears to be as strong as last season and I predict another year of greatness for this bunch. Have my ticket for Newcastle sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Synode wrote: »
    Was great to see the whole squad out on the pitch after the match. RDS had emptied. They did a huddle for about a minute. The team spirit appears to be as strong as last season and I predict another year of greatness for this bunch. Have my ticket for Newcastle sorted

We're all going to heaven!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

salmocab wrote: »
    Is that navy or black?
    Even though its not a Leinster colour I hope black
    On computer it looks navy, harder to tell on mobile
    I think it's black but it could be a really dark navy.

It's navy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,604 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Is JGP a right or left footed kicker. His best box kicks are on his right, but his kick for Larmour was off his left.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

Kevski wrote: »
    Same template maybe but you can’t say they’re pretty much the same jersey. Every manufacturare uses pretty much the same template for each team (in every sport) but tailors it from team to team.

https://cdn-03.independent.ie/incoming/article37195413.ece/AUTOCROP/w300-dyn/Leinster.jpg

https://rugby-corner.com/10003/maillot-rugby-crusaders-replica-domicile-2018-adulte-adidas-shop-rugby-corner.jpg

True but if you compare the Liverpool and Irish soccer jersey you'll see lots of differences. The collar for example is totally different. The Liverpool jersey is a block colour and the Ireland jersey has a weird pattern.

By contrast, you'd be forgiven for thinking that Munster and Leinster are the same team. The red and blue just being different colours. The same sponsorship, the three stripes in the same place, the collar is exactly the same, the sleeves are identical. It's the same jersey. The only difference is that pattern and colour. Obviously jersery manufacturers share the design a bit but rarely are they just boring block colours and it's not their fault the sponsors are the same. There's no point of difference.

Having said that, Nike are particularly boring with their football jerseys so Adidas isn't alone here.
    Synode wrote: »

Have mine booked as well, where are your seats roughly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭DGRulz

kmart6 wrote: »
    It's navy.

Actually, its very very very very, very very very very,very very very dark blue.

On the topic of Gibson Park and Larmour, I thought the try they manufactured at the weekend was terrific. The inside pass to Gibson Park from Ryan (very similar to the pass Ryan gave for Leavy's try against Saracens) was quality but I like that Gibson park had the awarness to kick the ball through backing Larmour (who was 5 - 10 yards behind the front Dragon) to win the foot race. He weighted the kick perfectly but kept it well inside the side line as he figured the try was on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

On the topic of Gibson Park and Larmour, I thought the try they manufactured at the weekend was terrific. The inside pass to Gibson Park from Ryan (very similar to the pass Ryan gave for Leavy's try against Saracens) was quality but I like that Gibson park had the awarness to kick the ball through backing Larmour (who was 5 - 10 yards behind the front Dragon) to win the foot race. He weighted the kick perfectly but kept it well inside the side line as he figured the try was on.

JGP deserves a lot of credit for that try.

Leinster and the whole "comfort in chaos" thing mean they love to keep the ball in hand, and there was a pass on the inside to VDF that was on, Leo even said he was willing for JGP to take that option.

But if that pass went, the tackle would have been made.

Instead he puts an absolute peach 40 metres upfield. And it was off his bad foot. Incredible decision making.

Also credit to Larmour for winning the footrace. He was a few metres behind JGP when it was kicked and still comfortably got there. I was nearly disappointed it bounced up so perfectly for him. I wanted to see him do one of his pickups again

• Advertisement

A word on Ringrose too.

He was his usual incredibly gifted self.

But I noticed he stepped in a good few times at first receiver. I know he's done this a bit with Ireland but I would love to see him really add that to his bow going forwards.

The way Leinster play, having a proper second playmaker would reap huge benefits

• Registered Users Posts: 16,955 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I watched a replay of that try. Before JGP kicked it Larmour pointed to all the free space ahead of him. It's clear that he wanted the kick through and that he backed himself to score. But I didn't see JGP look up to see the call. So either it was the subtlest of head movements to spot it or he just knew someone would be there in space.

When Leinster are in full flow they're a great side to watch. They're aware of what's in front of them and don't just stick to a rigid game plan. Sign of a well coached side and players that have confidence in each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,206 ✭✭✭✭Buer

It was a funny game. Extremely frustrating first half and 17-0 was a poor return. Given it was 10-0 after 40 minutes, we came away with plenty to work on. We were breaking the line at will with Sexton, Henshaw, Cronin and Fardy all making big yards in that first half. But the Dragons came to spoil and did a good job at it. Once we were able to move the ball through 3 or 4 phases, they were completely useless it has to be said.

The second half was a turkey shoot. I didn't think the Dragons would roll over quite as easily as they did. JGP was very lively and really looked sharp. Normally he is great from the bench and can be a little underwhelming from the start but this game suited him perfectly.

I loved the hunger from some of our front line forwards. Conan, Fardy, Ryan. Furlong and Cronin all put themselves about and were screaming to get on the ball. VDF was relatively quiet but I think 80 minutes will have been fantastic for him. He's going to be in high demand in the coming weeks unless Leavy/SOB make a rapid return to action.

I thought the backs were decent but definitely had some mixed moments. We were burned in defence a couple of times. Ringrose was caught shooting up once in the first half and waltzed past on his inside before Jordan Williams torched everyone, starting with Ringrose for his try. No real shame in being beaten by JW; his footwork is as good as anyone in the league. His career hasn't sparked yet but he was a huge prospect at underage. I remember he made his Scarlets debut when he was still 18.

Biggest concern by a considerable distance was our set piece and line out in particular. I think we lost 5 on our own throw which isn't good enough. I don't know if the Dragons had cracked our calls or what as they repeatedly got up to disrupt but we needed to secure our possession in a far smoother way. If we need to throw to the front, we should have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭FellasFellas

Buer wrote: »
    It was a funny game. Extremely frustrating first half and 17-0 was a poor return. Given it was 10-0 after 40 minutes, we came away with plenty to work on. We were breaking the line at will with Sexton, Henshaw, Cronin and Fardy all making big yards in that first half. But the Dragons came to spoil and did a good job at it. Once we were able to move the ball through 3 or 4 phases, they were completely useless it has to be said.

The second half was a turkey shoot. I didn't think the Dragons would roll over quite as easily as they did. JGP was very lively and really looked sharp. Normally he is great from the bench and can be a little underwhelming from the start but this game suited him perfectly.

I loved the hunger from some of our front line forwards. Conan, Fardy, Ryan. Furlong and Cronin all put themselves about and were screaming to get on the ball. VDF was relatively quiet but I think 80 minutes will have been fantastic for him. He's going to be in high demand in the coming weeks unless Leavy/SOB make a rapid return to action.

I thought the backs were decent but definitely had some mixed moments. We were burned in defence a couple of times. Ringrose was caught shooting up once in the first half and waltzed past on his inside before Jordan Williams torched everyone, starting with Ringrose for his try. No real shame in being beaten by JW; his footwork is as good as anyone in the league. His career hasn't sparked yet but he was a huge prospect at underage. I remember he made his Scarlets debut when he was still 18.

Biggest concern by a considerable distance was our set piece and line out in particular. I think we lost 5 on our own throw which isn't good enough. I don't know if the Dragons had cracked our calls or what as they repeatedly got up to disrupt but we needed to secure our possession in a far smoother way. If we need to throw to the front, we should have.

I thought the referee had some very curious calls. I can't complain given the scoreline but I just didn't understand the forward pass against Henshaw (superb hands over his head) or the calling back of a high kick from Sexton on advantage. The kick landed infield about 8m from their try line and was caught on the full by DK.

The kick was called back because chasing line was in front of the kicker. Referee let Dragons away with murder at breakdown and slowed the ball down something fierce especially in first half.

Most bizarre moment of the game for me was still the kick on the full.

Dragons box kicked it and it bounced a good metre in touch and wasn't given as a kick on the full.

The kick was between the Dragons 22 and 10m line. How the referee, the linesman and any of the Leinster players didn't question it was just odd

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

The kick was called back because chasing line was in front of the kicker. Referee let Dragons away with murder at breakdown and slowed the ball down something fierce especially in first half.

Yeah, in the first 20 especially the Dragons were doing a good job of slowing us down. Having the ref yell at them numerous times actually worked for them, buying them time. He should have been far quicker on the whistle in that area. Fardy had a chat with him in the first half though and it seemed to do the trick as we didn't see as much of it after that.

For an early season game there was a lot of ambition shown and a load of work-ons for the coaches to address. I wouldn't be overly worried about most of that. The line out is the only thing I'd have any real concern over at this stage. We're 11 from a possible 15, and with the fixture list as it was I'm happy with that even if we could have won in Llanelli. You don't win the league in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,955 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Injury update from Leinster. Leavy is available for the Edinburgh game. Sean O'Brien and Ciaran Frawley are being "integrated back into rugby" this week but are still a few weeks away from being ready to play.

http://www.the42.ie/dan-leavy-leinster-fit-returns-4239771-Sep2018/#comments

That's a massive boost for Leavy to be back. Having himself and VDF available is ideal with with them being able to share the next 3 games and get some sort of match fitness under their belt before the HEC matches.

It'll be great to have back row options of Conan, Ruddock, VDF, Leavy, Deegan, Doris and Murphy to choose from. I wouldn't hold out too much hope on SOB being back and, if he is, I'd be more than happy to ease him back in and work with the above players. Let SOB come back in gradually over the course of October.

No further update on Jack McGrath which is a concern but I think Dooley has gone well during his game time. Nothing on Nick Mc either despite being tipped to be back on the field in September. It's extremely likely at this point that we're without Lowe for the opening two HEC matches, I reckon.

That's a massive boost for Leavy to be back. Having himself and VDF available is ideal with with them being able to share the next 3 games and get some sort of match fitness under their belt before the HEC matches.

It'll be great to have back row options of Conan, Ruddock, VDF, Leavy, Deegan, Doris and Murphy to choose from. I wouldn't hold out too much hope on SOB being back and, if he is, I'd be more than happy to ease him back in and work with the above players. Let SOB come back in gradually over the course of October.

No further update on Jack McGrath which is a concern but I think Dooley has gone well during his game time.

Why is everyone so sceptical that SOB will ever play again?

Why is everyone so sceptical that SOB will ever play again?

I meant back for the opening HEC matches.

• Advertisement

I meant back for the opening HEC matches.

Fair enough. A lot of people even as recently as last week on this thread seem to think he's done. I have no idea why. It's a fairly long injury recovery, yeah. But other than that I don't understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Fair enough. A lot of people even as recently as last week on this thread seem to think he's done. I have no idea why. It's a fairly long injury recovery, yeah. But other than that I don't understand.

His injury record over the last three seasons has been pretty bad. A bit like Sam Warburton, his body may well just not be able anymore.

• Administrators Posts: 53,567 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

He's only managed 30 starts for Leinster in 5 seasons. And only 4 from the bench.

It's a very low average.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,922 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The history of other players with chronic injuries, e.g.Heaslip was coming back and coming back until he wasn't.

I'd love to have a fit SOB pulling up trees in RWC19 but I'd rather see a damaged SOB retire now and rehab his body for a long and productive life beyond the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

He was about three yards behind. Not "5-10". No need to exaggerate

Indeed. Larmour would have needed rockets to make up the ground if he was 5-10 yards behind the Dragons players.

Tomane is the only Leinster player that would have made up 10 yards comfortably.

He was about three yards behind. Not "5-10". No need to exaggerate

Actually Richie_Rich89 if that is even your real name....

I watched the video and strap yourself in because what you're about to read will hit you harder than fact that Joe Tomane is not that bad a player...

At the point of JGP kicking the ball, he is on the half way line. Larmour is 5m back.

"But arsebiscuits1, how can you possibly know it was 5 metres back?" I hear you cry.

It is simple. The grass is cut in even patterns. How even? There are 10 lines running parallel to the goal line in each half. How long is a half? Great question. A rugby pitch must be 100m long. Therefore 100/2=50.

And here is where it gets tricky. 50/10 = 5.

Are you following me so far Rich? Will I get the finger puppets?

Now you claim that he is about 3 yards behind.

3 yards = 2.7432 metres. To have achieved this distance, he would need to be a lot closer to the kicker than he is.

So technically... IT IS YOU WHO EXAGGERATES!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

tumblr_o16n2kBlpX1ta3qyvo1_1280.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

It was great to be back in the RDS on Saturday - lovely day for a match too. It was a frustrating first half, but plenty for the coaches to work on - surely the lineout could be sorted. What pleased me most were - no serious injuries, a great performance by JGP, and seeing Van der Flier back on the pitch - he made some mistakes, but as always, tried his heart out and managed the full 80 minutes. His return and Dan Leavy's availability are great news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Actually Richie_Rich89 if that is even your real name....

I watched the video and strap yourself in because what you're about to read will hit you harder than fact that Joe Tomane is not that bad a player...

At the point of JGP kicking the ball, he is on the half way line. Larmour is 5m back.

"But arsebiscuits1, how can you possibly know it was 5 metres back?" I hear you cry.

It is simple. The grass is cut in even patterns. How even? There are 10 lines running parallel to the goal line in each half. How long is a half? Great question. A rugby pitch must be 100m long. Therefore 100/2=50.

And here is where it gets tricky. 50/10 = 5.

Are you following me so far Rich? Will I get the finger puppets?

Now you claim that he is about 3 yards behind.

3 yards = 2.7432 metres. To have achieved this distance, he would need to be a lot closer to the kicker than he is.

So technically... IT IS YOU WHO EXAGGERATES!

There's reference made to the front Dragons player. He was about 1m inside the Leinster half when JGP kicks, and Larmour was about 4m inside the Leinster half

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement