Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump is the President Mark IV (Read Mod Warning in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,564 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    They can , but they have to show that they have a legitimate reason for asking for them so it'll have to be tied to something more solid that just because they want to see them.

This will go to court , he clearly believes that they contain something politically damaging to him , he'll fight til the end here.

Oh, I would think that is going to be pretty easy.

Simply run on the basis that without his tax returns one cannot be certain of vested interest in the massive tax cuts that he, as POTUS, signed off on.

Trump would then have to argue why he can't release them (audit is not a valid excuse) and why it is appropriate to overturn accepted norms which reduces the transparency of the office.

Would he win the case? He might, but it would be politically disastrous to have all that dragged through the mud and 24 hour coverage by all the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,499 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Fox News Joins Dozen News Outlets Supporting CNN In Lawsuit To Restore Jim Acosta’s White House Credentials

Not that Trumps base will care , but the WH is going to lose badly on this if they continue to push.

The operative here from Fox is the ability to question "any" president. They're on board here because they're looking down the line at their own passes when a Dem is next in the office

• Registered Users Posts: 19,299 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

They can , but they have to show that they have a legitimate reason for asking for them so it'll have to be tied to something more solid that just because they want to see them.

This will go to court , he clearly believes that they contain something politically damaging to him , he'll fight til the end here.

Here is a commentary and link to the WH statement...

Interesting what is not claimed..

https://twitter.com/MarshallCohen/status/1062758551733657600?s=19

Fox News Joins Dozen News Outlets Supporting CNN In Lawsuit To Restore Jim Acosta’s White House Credentials

Not that Trumps base will care , but the WH is going to lose badly on this if they continue to push.

https://twitter.com/DylanByers/status/1062746927656255489?s=19

Quite the contingent.

As for Fox, maybe the GOP (and Fox) waited until the awful Mid term results and are now starting to turn?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,203 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

The operative here from Fox is the ability to question "any" president. They're on board here because they're looking down the line at their own passes when a Dem is next in the office

CNN stood by Fox when there was an attempt to exclude them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭serfboard

Regarding his tax returns being examined by the House, I don't think that it would be:
    Leroy42 wrote: »
    politically disastrous to have all that dragged through the mud and 24 hour coverage by all the media.
    if Trump wins.

Remember, "the only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about" and "in politics, infamy is preferable to oblivion".

Trump would easily spin this as the nasty Dems etc. And, as Kellyanne Conway said, the public have shown, by voting for Trump, that they don't really care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

I remember reading somewhere that back when Trump was just a guy who made cheesy cameos on TV shows, he was ok with all sorts of things being joked about - his hair, his fake tan, his divorces - the only thing that was totally, completely banned was any suggestion that he was less wealthy than he claimed.

Being very rich seems to be the absolute core of his identiy and self-worth - having the whole world know that he's really only middle-class at best would be his worst possible nightmare

found it: https://www.vulture.com/2016/08/donald-trump-roast-off-limits-joke.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11,229 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Anyone else notice that Trump hasn't tweeted once about the caravan since the midterms?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

serfboard wrote: »
    Regarding his tax returns being examined by the House...

...Trump would easily spin this as the nasty Dems etc. And, as Kellyanne Conway said, the public have shown, by voting for Trump, that they don't really care.

The fact that the huge NYT investigation into his family's tax affairs showing that he is a long time tax fraudster barely raised a whimper would suggest that unless there's personal cheques from V. Putin going through the books (and quite possibly even if there were), his supporters wouldn't care an iota.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,564 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

The voters didn't care, when he was up against one of the most divisive candidates ever. HC is not a good candidate. Whether she would have been a good POTUS is another argument, but she is really lacking in charisma etc.

It is also not really true to say they didn't care, it is just that they cared about other things more. The Wall, Uranium, Draining the Swamp. Not to mention the whole idea of change itself.

And of course his supporters don't care, they have shown themselves to not care about anything except annoying the "libtards". On every matter that they claim was important to them, they have rolled over and accepted Trumps new version. But as pointed out before, his core support is not nearly enough to get him elected, and he won far more than just his core support the last time.

It is not even what is in the tax returns, but he is going to have to have a fight first in the house to try to block it and then into the courts. People will rightly raise the question as to why, a man that wants to drain the swamp, is so against being transparent.

Will it be enough to be fatal in terms of support? No, it seems nothing really is. But it is yet another stick to beat him with. And win or lose a vote of a court case, you can be 100% sure that the DNC candidate will have their tax returns published the night before the first debate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,755 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Trump will LOVE what ABC news are reporting. It's reporting that Michael avanatti has been arrested for domestic violence. He will love that.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Trump will LOVE what ABC news are reporting. It's reporting that Michael avanatti has been arrested for domestic violence. He will love that.

Yep! If true, of course he should be charged.

Despite his ridiculous aspirations of a 2020 run, he was kicking ass and doing such a good number on Trump et al and it appears he has messed it all up

• Registered Users Posts: 7,528 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Figured Avenatti was already toast. He hadn't being doing too well on the legal front (both against Trump and his creditors). His firm had been evicted from its premises. This might be the last we here of him for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭2 Scoops

I see NBC have a story out about Roger Stone's text messages, if anything it helps Stone's case that he didn't have a direct feed. Julian Assange was periodically teasing the email dumps on twitter all the way back to this initial CNN interview in July 2016, the imminent release of the emails during that time period was public knowledge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sq3V5csbTpE

Buzzfeed are now reporting that Avenatti's wife's lawyers say the incident didn't take place, however reuters and others claim to have direct sources that he was in fact arrested. Perhaps it was a different Woman?

https://twitter.com/passantino/status/1062856614657515520

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

I'm pretty sure I don't like Avenatti, and I can't say I'd be surprised if the allegations were true. At the same time, I wouldn't be surprised if they were bogus, similar to the stormy Daniels strip club incident.

Pelvis wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure I don't like Avenatti, and I can't say I'd be surprised if the allegations were true. At the same time, I wouldn't be surprised if they were bogus, similar to the stormy Daniels strip club incident.

He was definitely arrested.

https://twitter.com/LAPDHQ/status/1062858851618156544

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Whether there's truth in the allegations or not, it does appear that Avenatti is in custody according to a Twitter account claiming to be the official account of the LAPD.

Edit: Snap to 2SCoops... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,057 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

He's a bit of a grifter, but if you are a conservative who a few weeks ago said Kavanaugh was innocent until proven guilty then the same logic has to apply to Avenatti as it should everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Rjd2 wrote: »
    He's a bit of a grifter, but if you are a conservative who a few weeks ago said Kavanaugh was innocent until proven guilty then the same logic has to apply to Avenatti as it should everyone.

If the allegations have substance, that's the end of him. The Dems have shown shown themselves to be against that sort of thing. He might have to reinvent himself as a Republican if he wants to get anywhere, politically.

That said, there's so little information on this right now that we can only guess what happened. All that's known for sure is that he was arrested. If he assaulted a woman, he can rot and fade away, however.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,057 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Last week
    "Mia Love. I saw Mia Love," Trump said, referring to the Republican incumbent who lost re-election to Utah's fourth Congressional district. "She called me all the time to help her with a hostage situation. Being held hostage in Venezuela, but Mia Love gave me no love. And she lost. Too bad. Sorry about that, Mia."

This week

https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/1062859772850987008
    BREAKING: #UT04 Rep. Mia Love (R) narrowly wins latest batch of votes from Salt Lake Co., narrowing Ben McAdams (D)'s lead form 1,227 to 873. This makes her the favorite to prevail, once more Utah Co. votes are counted.

Trump probably the only Republican hoping she loses now tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Last week

This week

https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/1062859772850987008

Trump probably the only Republican hoping she loses now tbh.

I can't imagine that Trump is popular in Utah. I don't know anything about the district but assuming that it's mormon, it would have been silly to support Trump. Mormons are fairly principled as far as conservatives go, in my opinion.

I can't imagine that Trump is popular in Utah. I don't know anything about the district but assuming that it's mormon, it would have been silly to support Trump. Mormons are fairly principled as far as conservatives go, in my opinion.

Trump won Utah in 2016 with 46% of the vote, compared to Clinton's 27% and Mc Mullin (Ind) with 21%, so it seems that the folks there felt he was the best of those offered.

Avenatti now booked on a felony domestic violence charge. His bail has been set at $50,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,585 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

I've been listening to CNN for around an hour or so now running the story that Don has gone quiet about the caravan since the election-voting ended but also covering the visit of Sec-DOD to troops at a "non-usual post" [I suppose it means they are under canvas as a forward unit] down by the border.

However the Irish Times is running a story that some 400 immigrants who broke away from the caravan have arrived at the Mexican border city of Tijuana and includes a short video of people trying to climb over a wall [the border wall?]. The I/T report also includes a report [presumably from another source] which has the 400 are LGBT+ who met a hostile reception on arrival at Tijuana.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/first-members-of-central-american-migrant-caravan-reach-us-border-1.3697702

I suppose some-one in the US Embassy here will update the Admin in Washington on what's happening down by the Mexican border and Don will hear about the story [if it's not fake] and react to it.

aloyisious wrote: »
    I've been listening to CNN for around an hour or so now running the story that Don has gone quiet about the caravan since the election-voting ended but also covering the visit of Sec-DOD to troops at a "non-usual post" [I suppose it means they are under canvas as a forward unit] down by the border.

However the Irish Times is running a story that some 400 immigrants who broke away from the caravan have arrived at the Mexican border city of Tijuana and includes a short video of people trying to climb over a wall [the border wall?]. The I/T report also includes a report [presumably from another source] which has the 400 are LGBT+ who met a hostile reception on arrival at Tijuana.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/first-members-of-central-american-migrant-caravan-reach-us-border-1.3697702

I suppose some-one in the US Embassy here will update the Admin in Washington on what's happening down by the Mexican border and Don will hear about the story [if it's not fake] and react to it.

That I.T. Report certainly seems to be legitimate. So these migrants have left home (Honduras or wherever) to try and get into the USA, have been ostracized from the caravan because they're LGBT+, arrived in Tijuana and are being 'attacked' by locals because they're LGBT+ and intend to get into the US.

Mexico has already offered migrants in the caravan asylum in Mexico, but apparently that's been largely refused. Trump signed a regulation on Saturday that prohibits Border Control from considering asylum for anyone who tries to enter illegally. So, only ppl who queue up in Mexico and apply at the Border for asylum will be considered, and only a very small number are likely to be granted on the narrow asylum grounds that are now in force.

All this leads inexorably to a refugee camp scenario on the Southern Border for the foreseeable future. It's hard to see how it will be resolved without it blowing up into an even bigger issue than its already been throughout 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

The guys responsible for the attempt to discredit the Mueller probe with fake victims have taken credit for the Avenatti arrest.

https://imgur.com/a/wqiasYf

https://twitter.com/surefireintel/status/1062843160663998465?s=21

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

So he offers money to a woman to accuse Mueller of sexual assault. And we know Avenatti's wife has said he didn't abuse her, so must have been someone else...

The surefire guy's a monumental idiot if he did in fact offer someone else money to accuse Avenatti, and then tweets about it!

So he offers money to a woman to accuse Mueller of sexual assault. And we know Avenatti's wife has said he didn't abuse her, so must have been someone else...

The surefire guy's a monumental idiot if he did in fact offer someone else money to accuse Avenatti, and then tweets about it!

Both wives deny it was them. He was married twice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Some outlets reported physical bruising to the face of his ex wife. You'd thing they'd double check when dealing with Avenatti, especially after the frame job they tried on Stormy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement