Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fortnite

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Oh ffs. I bet I can find a 1980s article about the dangers of tetris.

All those bricks and fitting them in - what were we thinking!

"Those newer ps4 etc games where kids are playing against each other are a bit of a minefield as I am sure they can be communicating with each other as well"

News for you - they most certainly are. They are using Discord to talk and other apps like snapchat and instagram to text. And that's not a bad thing. They are communicating. And learning to communicate in the modern fashion - online. I'm 48 - I've made some good friends online - both on this site and on twitter, and other sites. I work for a multinational - I've never met any of my team as we're in different countries - but urmagurd we chat through IM (rf: snapshat/instagram) and conference calls (rf: Discord). Kids these days are learning these remote team skills without our help. That's the 21st century kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ANDREWMUFC

A horrible addiction that destroys families

ANDREWMUFC wrote: »
    A horrible addiction that destroys families

What is? Computers? Gaming? Something else? I think you need to be more specific and provide some actual evidence of your claim. I'd consider gambling much more of a problem than any of them - you know like the forums where you have made over 40% of your previous posts on boards.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,903 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

True on the communications but I think it has been shown that the brain needs human to human interaction, face to face.Sitting alone and on a screen is not the same thing.I would imagine that for developing brains, they need it even more.
    Like everything I suppose-in moderation it's ok.But kids and teens are known for poor impulse control, so parents have to step in and impose the moderation.
    What a lucky bunch us parents are......

shesty wrote: »
    True on the communications but I think it has been shown that the brain needs human to human interaction, face to face.Sitting alone and on a screen is not the same thing.I would imagine that for developing brains, they need it even more.
    Like everything I suppose-in moderation it's ok.But kids and teens are known for poor impulse control, so parents have to step in and impose the moderation.
    What a lucky bunch us parents are......

Agreed. Point is that there is nothing inherently bad about communicating online. It's what we're doing right now after all :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

The reality is that young teenagers are far more IT literate than their parents , if you police this with force alone ,taking devices , switching of the modem etc , the kid will work around you and you will never be able to stay ahead of them .

You are going to need self enforcement of the rules , and that comes from talking to your kid and coming to an agreement .

• Registered Users Posts: 20 uluwatu

Maybe he is playing with different people so you can not notice that his real friends are offline. I think you really need to watch out because Gaming addiction is a serious problem

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

What a thread revival

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Mod

Please don't bump old threads, when there's nothing being added to them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement