Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fortnite

Options
  • 21-07-2018 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭

My 12 year old boy is playing a lot of this game and dosent ever want to stop. What Can I do ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭SSr0

Take it off him. I know grown men addicted to that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Nothing, they’re e all mad into it. Tell him he has two or three hours a day and police it. Then confiscate the controllers until his next stint.

If things get out of hand, moods etc cut the hours. He’ll get the message soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭ismat

SSr0 wrote: »
    Take it off him. I know grown men addicted to that game.

He would get very mad if I tried to take him back ff it . The last thing I want is a mad 12 year old 😬

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭dobman88

ismat wrote: »
    He would get very mad if I tried to take him back ff it . The last thing I want is a mad 12 year old 😬

Lol..who's the parent, him or you? Take it off him, if he kicks off taken the whole system off him. Tell him he'll have it if he behaves. He'll get the message

dobman88 wrote: »
    Lol..who's the parent, him or you? Take it off him, if he kicks off taken the whole system off him. Tell him he'll have it if he behaves. He'll get the message

Yeah that’s what it thought. The problem is he is playing on a pc and is on the home network. He is very good at coding etc and I’ve no doubt he would be able to lock me out before I could block him 🙄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭The_Chap

Yeah that’s what it thought. The problem is he is playing on a pc and is on the home network. He is very good at coding etc and I’ve no doubt he would be able to lock me out before I could block him 🙄

Seriously? Pick up said PC and lock it away, he can’t code on something that’s not physically there!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

How good is he at fixing network cables? Snip Snip :)

Nate

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

Give him a time he can play. Don’t take it off him. He has done no wrong.

How good is he at fixing network cables? Snip Snip :)

Nate

He had a lap top and an iPhone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭dobman88

Take the plug out of the pc if he goes over time. All the coding knowledge in the world can't make something work without power.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭CiarraiAbu2

Turn off the wifi at night and try to limit him.

Turn off the wifi at night and try to limit him.

He can generate a hotspot from his phone if he needs to. Tbh I am starting to wonder if it’s problem at all as all his mates are playing online all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

The_Chap wrote: »
    Seriously? Pick up said PC and lock it away, he can’t code on something that’s not physically there!
    He had a lap top and an iPhone.
    Take every device off him that has access to the internet. Is he in charge of the house or you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Ask yourself were he watching TV instead of fortnite would you be looking to limit him? Parents often seem to have an aversion to their kids spending hours absorbed playing video games but then don't bat an eyelid to kids sitting on the couch watching hours of TV. Video games are relatively more "active" at least and he's engaging with his friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Take every device off him that has access to the internet. Is he in charge of the house or you?

Why? OP hasn't indicated he's deserving of any punishment at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

If it’s becoming obsessive I would look at controlling it. Letting him know when he can use it etc.
    I don’t buy the “hotspot” or he’s good at coding... it’s up to you to sort that.

Bottom line... if it’s becoming more important to him than playing with his friends/playing sport/other real life engagements then it’s a problem.

martyc5674 wrote: »
    If it’s becoming obsessive I would look at controlling it. Letting him know when he can use it etc.
    I don’t buy the “hotspot” or he’s good at coding... it’s up to you to sort that.

Bottom line... if it’s becoming more important to him than playing with his friends/playing sport/other real life engagements then it’s a problem.

That’s the strange thing about it all his mates play it as well and seem to be online as much as him. So in effect he is playing with his friends just online rather than in the garden outside

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

That’s the strange thing about it all his mates play it as well and seem to be online as much as him. So in effect he is playing with his friends just online rather than in the garden outside

Well you have to ask yourself the question, is that healthy?
    Is that how you you want him to grow up?

I’d forget about what his friends are doing and concentrate on your own lad.
    Make sure his life is balanced.

Don’t use his friends activity as a bench mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

He would get very mad if I tried to take him back ff it . The last thing I want is a mad 12 year old ��
    Why? OP hasn't indicated he's deserving of any punishment at all.
    I never suggested punishment I'm suggesting no 12 year old should have access non stop to 3 forms of internet access. OP also says the child will get mad.No child should get mad at their parents for setting boundries.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

You have to wonder who actually is in charge here, the parent or the kid? Be the parent.

• Advertisement

I actually can't believe you don't know the answer to your question. If this isn't a troll, I am extremely worried

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Payton

What does your other half have to say about this?
    Honestly a 12 year old shouldn't be on a game like that for that length of time its very worrying as is his attitude.
    This needs to be nipped in the bud quickly and some ground rules put in place for everyone's sanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭firemansam4

ismat wrote:

I know one of my sons friends (10 yr old) who plays this game at 2am sometimes, my son said he has fallen asleep in class sometimes. Maybe that means I should let my son play at 2am as well?

If your son is accessing games or the internet after you have told him explicitly that he can't then he is holding the power over you, and that is only going to get a lot worse as he gets older.
    You need to do what ever you have to do to get back control, and if that means taking all his devices of him or something like that then you need to do it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Hi OP, I've no idea on your parenting practices so don't want to offend you when this, but you either need to get your boundaries and limits in order, or your post is one big troll.

You speak of Fortnite as if it's a mystical thing you have no control over, but Fortnite happens to be the current number 1 game and I could give you a list of others that have been popular over the years. A parent needs to monitor their child's online activities and claiming he's a coding wizard is just an excuse. You put a time limit on it, just like anything else that you feel is having a negative impact. If he plays outside of this, you remove access to the PC. If he uses hotspots then you remove the phone. You don't do it as a preventative measure, you do it when he breaks your rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

My sister in law was having the same problem with her son. He was saying he was online with friends but turned out that was just a small amount of the time.
    He would stay up until about 5am playing it and then sleep for most of the day. Finally things had to change after he became violent after being asked to get off it to help around the house so now I have his PS4 in my house. He's been off it for about 4 weeks now and his attitude has improved, his personal hygiene has improved, he's doing a GAA summer camp and he's even got himself a summer job 2 days a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭fima

It doesn’t matter how good he is at coding or has access to hotspots, I assume you pay the bills ? You are the adult so set limits and enforce them. Make them clear, be reasonable and define what will happen when these limits are breached. Give warnings and follow through on your warnings. Be consistent. Talk to him!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Why are you afraid of your child?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Ever so slightly, the wire that goes from the modem to the wall, pull it out, so the internet in the house goes, but the wire sits in the socket. Boom, no wifi in the house, but I have mobile data. See him playing Fortnite now? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

dobman88 wrote: »
    Take the plug out of the pc if he goes over time. All the coding knowledge in the world can't make something work without power.

Take the fuse out of the plug.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

he's 12.

Your the Parent. Act like it and Just take his access away.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement