Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Presidential Election 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,110 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

just two nights ago, at the debate, this was the reporting

https://twitter.com/tylerpager/status/1311108577696849920?s=20

As a human being, I wouldn't wish COVID19 on anyone, including Trump. But I have to say with him, that was a marginal call and I really struggled with it.

Trump's complete recklessness, bravado and downright lies he told to the american people means he has blood on his hands. He has endangered millions of lives.

He had all the resources in the world to protect him, his wife, his kids and he brushed all of those protections away. Either he thought he knew better, or he just doesn't care for his family.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

How will this impact the campaign?

Clearly he's going to have to isolate until he gets a negative test, which could be days or weeks depending on how the virus progresses.

So essentially no campaign activities and if he actually gets sick with it not even Video messages etc.

How will voters react?

Given that Pence will be a close contact, what happens to the VP debate, because he will have to isolate as well right?

On a more serious note, if he were to get truly ill, like Boris Johnson did ,what implications does that have on his ability to actually stand for Election?

I mean, what are the rules/procedures that might have to come into play?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Where will he isolate?
    White house or one of his hotels?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,628 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I think hope hicks found out Wednesday(or got tested) so presumably she was positive on Tuesday and obviously trump and the First Lady have it but now everyone on Air Force one and in that venue who were close to hope hicks will need to get tested. Or at least that’s how I think should happen.

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    How will this impact the campaign?

Clearly he's going to have to isolate until he gets a negative test, which could be days or weeks depending on how the virus progresses.

So essentially no campaign activities and if he actually gets sick with it not even Video messages etc.

How will voters react?

Given that Pence will be a close contact, what happens to the VP debate, because he will have to isolate as well right?

On a more serious note, if he were to get truly ill, like Boris Johnson did ,what implications does that have on his ability to actually stand for Election?

I mean, what are the rules/procedures that might have to come into play?

The prospects are awful! The next debate will be via Zoom!!!

But seriously, if neither Trump nor Pence can perform their duties, Nancy is third in line. Wouldn't that be something...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,628 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Where will he isolate?
    White house or one of his hotels?

White House presumably. I take it the press secretary will at the very least have to limit her movements and get tested given she has daily context with the president.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

This could play well for him.

If he gets through it unscathed then he's the strongman President who personally fought Covid and won.
    If it flattens him then he gets a sympathy vote with lots of opportunities for his opponents to fail to read the country right by attacking a man downed with a terrible illness.

It's a curve ball that could go anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,934 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Phoebas wrote:
    If he gets through it unscathed then he's the strongman President who personally fought Covid and won. If it flattens him then he gets a sympathy vote with lots of opportunities for his opponents to fail to read the country right by attacking a man downed with a terrible illness.

Seriously doubt that, I'd say the deciders have had enough of him now, can the elections go ahead if he is unable to campaign?

Phoebas wrote: »
    This could play well for him.

If he gets through it unscathed then he's the strongman President who personally fought Covid and won.
    If it flattens him then he gets a sympathy vote with lots of opportunities for his opponents to fail to read the country right by attacking a man downed with a terrible illness.

It's a curve ball that could go anywhere.

He has been known to dictate his own medical report.

All of his medical staff are quacks.

As someone wittier than I said, I'll believe it when I see the long form COVID19 cert

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

What would happen if he was hospitalised or even in ICU in terms of the Election?

Does he have to stand down and take himself off the ballot?

Are there any rules about the health of the candidate in terms of their physical ability to take office etc.?

• Advertisement

Is there a possibility we re dealing with fake news here?

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Seriously doubt that, I'd say the deciders have had enough of him now, can the elections go ahead if he is unable to campaign?

I can't see any problem with the election going ahead (unless he dies - I don't know what would happen then).

The next debate (Oct 15?) I presume will not go ahead no matter what. And no more rallies probably for the remainder of the campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,741 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Yes absolutely, it could 100% be a ploy to skip the debates and get some sympathy votes.

What would happen if he was hospitalised or even in ICU in terms of the Election?

Are there any rules about the health of the candidate in terms of their physical ability to take office etc.?
    I don't know if he can even choose to take himself off the ballot, and I can't imagine any system that could force him off the ballot due to incapacity. If he wins but can't take office then it goes to Pence.

I don't know what would happen if he died prior to the election.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,173 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Not fake news as that would, by definition, be a fabrication by the news reporter.

It could be just b*ll****

What happened this time 4 years ago...

https://twitter.com/Telegraph/status/782673397952094208?s=19

It is so very hard to feel sorry for him today

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

If he dies now, the RNC picks a new candidate. They probably pick Pence and a new VP.

Same if he withdraws on health grounds.

If he dies close to election day or after it but before electors make him president elect (assuming he wins the votes) it gets messy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

He would have to 'stand back and stand by'.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

duploelabs wrote: »
    Not fake news as that would, by definition, be a fabrication by the news reporter.

It could be just b*ll****
    His doctor has released a statement as well so probably not nonsense.

is_that_so wrote:

Was his doctor paid off?

• Advertisement

is_that_so wrote: »

Is that the doctor he dictated his own medical report to, the doctor who said he had bones spurs, or the doctor that said if he didn't eat fastfood everyday, he would live to be over 100 due to his fantastic genes?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Was his doctor paid off?

I don't think its possible to predict whether Trump getting Covid is good or bad for his election chances, imho, it's probably bad due to his cavalier attitude and general handling of the outbreak, not something I can see being made up tbh.

I know we live in strange times, but the idea that this is a big hoax being perpetrated by Trump is just completely off the wall.

Phoebas wrote:
    I know we live in strange times, but the idea that this is a big hoax being perpetrated by Trump is just completely off the wall.

Not really, he'd do anything to protect his ego, typical narrcacisst

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

It's just you can't rule anything out with this chancer.

We've watched him lie to us so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,741 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Why exactly? Do you honestly believe after the last 5 years its out of the realms of possibility for him to try something like this?

Im not saying its deffinitely whats happening but im absolutely open to the idea of it, id say at the moment im around 50/50 its a real vs being a hoax

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Mod Note

Let's drop the conspiracy theories. There's another forum for that. If you think someone is lying about having COVID-19, you'll need to something to substantiate it beyond mere speculation.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

VinLieger wrote: »
    Why exactly? Do you honestly believe after the last 5 years its out of the realms of possibility for him to try something like this?

Hard to see how it benefits him tbh, which in my mind makes any hoax very doubtful. Plus he misses 3 campaign events in key states and possibly the 2nd debate.

Let's drop the conspiracy theories. There's another forum for that. If you think someone is lying about having COVID-19, you'll need to something to substantiate it beyond mere speculation.

To be fair.....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

VinLieger wrote: »

Im not saying its deffinitely whats happening but im absolutely open to the idea of it, id say at the moment im around 50/50 its a real vs being a hoax
    It's not about him not trying it; it's simply he's to incompetent to have a chance to pull it off and his staff would know this as well. He'd tweet "I got corona" today and tomorrow "The china virus is all fake news, I never had it".

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement