Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Presidential Election 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,620 ✭✭✭✭briany

Has any sitting president ever had so many of his own party come and speak out against him and endorse the man from the other side of the aisle?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,113 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Not a single one of those answers had any relation to policy.

Mine did

If you wanted detail you probably should have asked for it?

You only have a chance of anyone being impressed with one person's policy positions as the other doesn't actually have any other than, if Obama did it tear it down.

The level of political discourse in the US doesn't exactly require policy at the forefront unfortunately.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

briany wrote: »
    Has any sitting president ever had so many of his own party come and speak out against him and endorse the man from the other side of the aisle?

I'd wager not.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Biden was the only to try to talk about policy. Trump shouted him down, talking about banning cows and planes.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Brian? wrote: »
    Biden was the only to try to talk about policy. Trump shouted him down, talking about banning cows and planes.

It is what happens when your brain melts and you get all your talking points from watching too much right wing media.

Unless you're neck deep in their talking points it all sounds like absolute gibberish, from those responses on climate change, to Nancy's haircut, to postmen selling votes, to the wife of the mayor of moscow. Trump and his base are probably thinking 'you really got him there' while everyone else is just sitting there :confused:

• Advertisement

I'm glad that Biden intends to rejoin the Paris Accord and intends to take climate change seriously. It's not a perfect plan but better than current mad deregulation of environmental policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Wow - Trump's last source of comfort has him losing!

https://twitter.com/PpollingNumbers/status/1311338451015471105?s=19

Looks like some in the GOP aren't even trying anymore to defend Trump in case he turns around and contradicts them.

'I think he misspoke, unless he didn't...'

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1311333264313978886?s=20

• If you want to hear about policy presidential debates are generally not the place to go at the best of times. Last night was an even more extreme version of that. You couldn't even call it a debate in any real sense.

Bollocks.

That's exactly where they should be heard.

It appears that there will be some restrictions put in place for the next debate.

Can't help but think that trump turned this into a ****show

1) he claims he won this one
    2) he claims Wallace worked against him
    3) restrictions are put in place for the next
    4) he says the media are against him, preventing him to steamroll Biden again which gives him cause to pull out of the rest of them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,692 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I’ve not seen the whole thing but I’ve watched a good bit of it on and off since early this morning. Trump was both a disgrace and a disaster and I can’t imagine that his campaign are happy in private especially with the lay up about white supremacy. As I said this morning how do you mess that up ? In 2020 there’s only one correct answer unless you’re trying to deliberately alienate voters and it’s not what trump said. Also, I see the old he misspoke line was trotted out which is ridiculous in this case.

I don’t see anything wrong with Biden saying shut up to him as I believe that was a once off and honestly it was a real moment. I liked how Biden at times looked into the camera and tried to speak to the voters, in particular with the Covid -19 and the empty chair line.

Biden showed while not perfect he’s got something resembling the outline of being a normal person.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Itssoeasy wrote: »

I don’t see anything wrong with Biden saying shut up to him as I believe that was a once off and honestly it was a real moment. I liked how Biden at times looked into the camera and tried to speak to the voters, in particular with the Covid -19 and the empty chair line.

That was the one thing I disliked about Biden last night. I'm all for calling out the issues with Trump and Covid, be specific about response/policies etc, but that emotional empty chair stuff for votes, ugh. Politics is a sick 'ol game!

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ande1975

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    That was the one thing I disliked about Biden last night. I'm all for calling out the issues with Trump and Covid, be specific about response/policies etc, but that emotional empty chair stuff for votes, ugh. Politics is a sick 'ol game!

Seriously!!! Biden who has suffered the loss of a wife and two of his children who is displaying genuine empathy and uniquely placed to understand loss.
    I don't care if it was for votes, he meant it.
    The Tangoed Ham has never ever displayed any empathy whatsoever.... he is incapable.

Ande1975 wrote: »
    Seriously!!! Biden who has suffered the loss of a wife and two of his children who is displaying genuine empathy and uniquely placed to understand loss.
    I don't care if it was for votes, he meant it.
    The Tangoed Ham has never ever displayed any empathy whatsoever.... he is incapable.

Yeah seriously ha! I do care its for votes. I can't explain it. I wouldn't use it personally to aid me if you get me. Seems like bad karma.

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    Yeah seriously ha! I do care its for votes. I can't explain it. I wouldn't use it personally to aid me if you get me. Seems like bad karma.

It's kind of in your head though isn't it? It's your take on it that it wasn't genuine.

It's kind of in your head though isn't it? It's your take on it that it wasn't genuine.

I didn't say it wasn't genuine. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,525 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Significant and welcome news coming.

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1311356620740456448

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Joe has no charisma, charm, wit and is as dry and just seriously unlikeable, Trump by comparison is such a character, bigger than life and what craic he is, he has the entire world wound up and is the ultimate IRL Troll. Trump's policies on a whole host of issues are very sound and fair, he is not a corrupt career politician either, a man who wanted change, threw his hat in the ring, ultimately faced one of the worst candidates ever (before Biden came along) and wound up in the White House as surprised as the rest of us.

He implemented his policies to a tee and kept his word, he started no wars and kept the war-hawk neocons at bay, prior to Covid19 the global economy was at an all time zenith.

The Democrats have been hijacked by the ultra left and yet despite everything they are in with a good chance of winning the election. Last night we saw Biden and it was not pretty, Trump decided just to troll him and it was epic. The media has the spotlight on Trump 24/7 when we don't get to see or hear biden just that Trump is Satan reincarnate. Latino's are in favour of Trump and I think he will hold Florida and the WH, most likely he will lose the popular vote by an even wider margin but it really won't matter, worst case the Supreme Court will install him as President anyway so Joe won't be President of this it looks increasingly clear. Imagine 4 years of Joe Biden, it would be the most boring depressing thing ever and that would be before the absolute carnage the far left would unleash on the US.

theguzman wrote: »
    Joe has no charisma, charm, wit and is as dry and just seriously unlikeable, Trump by comparison is such a character, bigger than life and what craic he is, he has the entire world wound up and is the ultimate IRL Troll. Trump's policies on a whole host of issues are very sound and fair, he is not a corrupt career politician either, a man who wanted change, threw his hat in the ring, ultimately faced one of the worst candidates ever (before Biden came along) and wound up in the White House as surprised as the rest of us.

He implemented his policies to a tee and kept his word, he started no wars and kept the war-hawk neocons at bay, prior to Covid19 the global economy was at an all time zenith.

The Democrats have been hijacked by the ultra left and yet despite everything they are in with a good chance of winning the election. Last night we saw Biden and it was not pretty, Trump decided just to troll him and it was epic. The media has the spotlight on Trump 24/7 when we don't get to see or hear biden just that Trump is Satan reincarnate. Latino's are in favour of Trump and I think he will hold Florida and the WH, most likely he will lose the popular vote by an even wider margin but it really won't matter, worst case the Supreme Court will install him as President anyway so Joe won't be President of this it looks increasingly clear. Imagine 4 years of Joe Biden, it would be the most boring depressing thing ever and that would be before the absolute carnage the far left would unleash on the US.

Your posts about Trump read like satire at this stage. Politics is not supposed to be entertaining. Trump was deranged and unhinged and Biden was boring and stable. Carnage is what we see under Trump, to the point of already being depressing.

Biden nailed it last night in his tweet when he said "What has Trump said tonight that will make your lives better?" Absolutely nothing. It was all about him and how much of a victim he is. Biden on the other ran rings around him on healthcare and the environment.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I don't know where to start with so much of that post being untrue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭moon2

prior to Covid19 the global economy was at an all time zenith.

If you look at historical data, this is true for every year apart from 2009. That's the only year where the world economy wasn't breaking the record high.

https://www.worldometers.info/gdp/#gdpyear

A record high isn't an achievement in and of itself. Lowering the growth rate is an accomplishment though, one which Trump is eligible to claim!

(edit: and i am ignoring a lot of... errors... in that post)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,869 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I don't know where to start with so much of that post being untrue

That's Gish galloping for you.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

everlast75 wrote: »
    Wow - Trump's last source of comfort has him losing!

https://twitter.com/PpollingNumbers/status/1311338451015471105?s=19

And that polling dats is from before the debate!

Who knows what the next one will look like and crucially it had Biden above 50% as well

The daily Approval poll that they run has moved from a Net +4 to -10 in the last two weeks which is a huge swing this close to the Election

• Registered Users Posts: 11,343 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Joe has no charisma, charm, wit and is as dry and just seriously unlikeable, Trump by comparison is such a character, bigger than life and what craic he is, he has the entire world wound up and is the ultimate IRL Troll.

Bidens one of the most likeable politicians there is hence his favourable index far exceeds Trump or Hillary at this point in election race.
    Trump's policies on a whole host of issues are very sound and fair, he is not a corrupt career politician either, a man who wanted change, threw his hat in the ring, ultimately faced one of the worst candidates ever (before Biden came along) and wound up in the White House as surprised as the rest of us.

Fair if you are far to the right sure.

Trumps a corrupt businessman with no political experience and we have seen the complete mess he has made of a job that was handed to him on a plate by Obama administration. The 3 men who led Trump election campaign have now served prison time or waiting..

Trump didn't want change. He wanted to reignite his brand that has seen its name value fall since NBC cancelled the Apprentice.

No. He hasn't even come close to implementing half the things he promised. Lock up clinton, build a wall, repeal and replace ACA.. three main promises he was elected on not a single one achieved.

Global economy had been on rise for a decade, so nothing to do with Trump. His handling of virus along with Russia, Brazil, UK, India played big role in current economic mess though.

Trump has massively increased drone strikes which have resulted in huge increase in civilian deaths and he declared that civilian deaths be no longer reported.
    The Democrats have been hijacked by the ultra left and yet despite everything they are in with a good chance of winning the election.

Sure they have. That's why a Conservative catholic overwhelming was selected as the Dem choice for President..
    Last night we saw Biden and it was not pretty, Trump decided just to troll him and it was epic.

Well you are entitled to your opinion but that bs. Trump came across a raving petulant child with zero plan for next four years who couldn't deal with fact his opponent was well prepared and tried to shout him down.
    The media has the spotlight on Trump 24/7 when we don't get to see or hear biden just that Trump is Satan reincarnate.

Media always has spotlight on the President.
    Latino's are in favour of Trump and I think he will hold Florida and the WH, most likely he will lose the popular vote by an even wider margin but it really won't matter, worst case the Supreme Court will install him as President anyway so Joe won't be President of this it looks increasingly clear.

First up no. Cubans have mostly voted Republican for decades, other Latinos Democrat. Thats not going to change in upcoming election.

Florida will be tight as it always is.

Supreme court isn't going to just award Trump the election, not how it works.
    Imagine 4 years of Joe Biden, it would be the most boring depressing thing ever and that would be before the absolute carnage the far left would unleash on the US.

It would be a return to normality which is what is needed after past 4 years of absolute chaos. America is now a laughing stock around the more akin to an episode of Jerry Springer or pro wrestling.

Far left won't do jack squat. Amount of people who are far left in the US is tiny and what carnage exactly would they achieve worse that the far right terrorism or mass shootings we have seen over past four years.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,256 ✭✭✭✭looksee

bigger than life and what craic he is, he has the entire world wound up and is the ultimate IRL Troll

Can you enlarge on how this is a description of a good leader? And why you would want 'the entire world wound up'? Not that they are particularly, disgusted maybe, fed up with him maybe, nervous of his complete unsuitability to be in charge of a market stall, much less a major economy, or indeed a nuclear arsenal.

But I am interested to know why 'craic' is regarded as a desirable attribute in a leader.

I never knew Joe Biden was a Catholic, we all know what happened the last liberal Catholic who got into the White House and it was horrible, I just don't see Joe Biden making it, Trump suits the big business, corporate interests and he has a bizarre alliance of poor whites, big business and right wing conservatism. Joe Biden is a front for Kamala Harris and Joe Biden will be 82 when he goes for re-election if he won, Trump will either be retiring or heading into an unprecedented third term as he will change the constitution to allow it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,238 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I never knew Joe Biden was a Catholic, we all know what happened the last liberal Catholic who got into the White House and it was horrible, I just don't see Joe Biden making it, Trump suits the big business, corporate interests and he has a bizarre alliance of poor whites, big business and right wing conservatism. Joe Biden is a front for Kamala Harris and Joe Biden will be 82 when he goes for re-election if he won, Trump will either be retiring or heading into an unprecedented third term as he will change the constitution to allow it.

And what's wrong with Kamala Harris?

Water John wrote: »
    And what's wrong with Kamala Harris?

To be fair, that last sentence should have ruled out a need for a reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

You legitimately don't know how any of this works.

You're in for a shock when you find out how many terms FDR won...

It's best to give it up now if you think Trump can change the Constitution unilaterally.

• Advertisement

looksee wrote: »
    Can you enlarge on how this is a description of a good leader? And why you would want 'the entire world wound up'? Not that they are particularly, disgusted maybe, fed up with him maybe, nervous of his complete unsuitability to be in charge of a market stall, much less a major economy, or indeed a nuclear arsenal.

But I am interested to know why 'craic' is regarded as a desirable attribute in a leader.

Leo Varadkar has his own charisma and a likeable character if he was never in politics, Micheal Martin is about as popular or as funny as a fart in a space suit he is the sort of horrid person addicted to power who is busy writing ambulances parking tickets in another parallel universe.

Look at Boris Johnson in England, a grand fine type of character you'd have a pint with, well able to tune into the resonant vibe of the people, winning a personal vote, an anti-establish protest vote almost. Then you have the likes of Arlene Foster or Jeremy Corbyn, the sour dour always angry type about as much fun as a wet dead trout, you'd draw blood from a turnip easier than a laugh or a smile from either two.

Biden doesn't resonate well, he doesn't have that fun type of persona but Trump would be some craic out with the boys playing golf and sharing battle stories of days gone-bye. Just my two cents on him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement