Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yemen in a bad situation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

ChikiChiki wrote: »

So in essence the US are condoning the atrocities in Yemen and by default so are the EU.

It's fooking despicable to be honest.

Multiple countries condone it , support it and are more than happy to send thousands of weapons and fighters but won't send food or aid but thousands of weapons is fine ,

As long as we all blamed saudi and the west but are very happy to ignore the other countries involvement

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

It just isn't sexy to go after the Saudi's. Look at those sexy causes, the ever present Palestine and Tibet are not even on the same scale as Yemen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭larchielads

I sure hope Chandlers ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Gatling wrote: »
    Why is there zero mention of the other parties heavily involved in Yemen at all ,

Saudi and the west ,the west and Saudi

Remind me about Irans direct involvement and their international backers including NK and of russia ,5 plus civil wars instigated by various backers but yet it's all Saudi this and the west this .

Slightly odd and typically one sided

Who said the West? Saudi isn’t the West and the US is a post western europhobic nation. As it keeps telling us.

Westerners should oppose both these forces. And what exactly has Russia got to do with anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

The day we are no longer reliant on oil the better, The Saudi scum are a stain on humanity and a threat to world peace. The UK/US and many others should hang their heads in shame for supporting this backward evil regime. Then the likes of the US and EU have the nerve to stand up pontificating about human rights and how awful regimes like Iran are, and then turn around and supply the weapons to slaughter thousands of children in Yemen. Sick world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

focus on helping the children; politics is a killer

takes focus from the dire and terrible needs of the innocents. on what we can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

It's often mentioned on the BBC in fairness, it just doesn't seem to stick though

I've read a lot about it but I've seen it in the guardian every day.

Wonder what the chances of MBS being arrested are?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/nov/22/saudi-crown-prince-mohammed-bin-salman
    As of Wednesday, the Argentinian hosts of the G20 summit, on 30 November and 1 December, said MBS was still on the guest list, but he may yet reconsider. The risks are not just political and diplomatic.

In theory, Bin Salman could face legal jeopardy under the doctrine of universal jurisdiction, which allows prosecutors in any country to seek the arrest of individuals suspected of grave crimes like genocide, torture or extrajudicial executions, regardless of where the crimes were committed.

Three universal jurisdiction cases have already been opened in Argentina, concerning the Spanish civil war, the Armenian genocide and Palestine. Human rights groups in Buenos Aires said there were no plans to seek MBS’s arrest.

But lawyers could charge him in a European court, and then seek his arrest through Interpol in Buenos Aires.

“There is a serious risk of complaints being filed against him,” Whitson said. “And not being the head of state means he does not benefit from impunity.”

• Registered Users Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭conorhal

Gatling wrote: »
    Why is there zero mention of the other parties heavily involved in Yemen at all ,

Saudi and the west ,the west and Saudi

Remind me about Irans direct involvement and their international backers including NK and of russia ,5 plus civil wars instigated by various backers but yet it's all Saudi this and the west this .

Slightly odd and typically one sided

The utter silence about Iran's involvement is a tad....odd, especially considering that this conflict is a proxy war between the regional powers of Saudi and Iran, until you remember that the left love Iran and their stance on the 'Great Satan!', so naturally you get silence from certian quarters and those are the quaters that tend to control the media news cycle.
    The usual suspects prefer the simplistic narrative of 'Orange man bad!', which doesn't tally with facts when you actually look at exactly who's selling arms to the saudis.......

The U.K., France and China remain major sellers to Saudi Arabia, with South Korea recently joining by reportedly providing anti-tank missiles.Turkey and a number of Eastern European countries also sent weapons and military equipment with others, such as Brazil, potentially joining the mix. Russia too has offered to cut a deal for weapons.

BUH.... ORANGE MAN BAD!!!

Graces7 wrote: »
    focus on helping the children; politics is a killer

takes focus from the dire and terrible needs of the innocents. on what we can do.

You might do better to focus on the causes of the conflict instead.

I've gotten pretty cynical about the way the media chooses to frame every conflict these days in the context of pictures of one dead child on beach/pile of rubble/ field hospital etc. to provoke some knee jerk, emotionally incontinent reaction that sucks everybody into somebody else’s civil war that they have no business getting involved in.

Every time some op Ed columnist in the Guardian wrings their hands and proclaims "wont someone think of the children!", we end up blowing the crap out of a third world £h1th0le and creating a spreading, endless conflict and a migrant crisis.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

I'm so cynical about media representation that I don't even read newspapers anymore, just tweets from Reuters, but those images of children are real - nobody is manipulating them.

Yeah you'll get opinion writers whining and preaching about everyone else not helping them (but not themselves) but **** them, wouldn't waste my eye muscles.

I'm so cynical about media representation that I don't even read newspapers anymore, just tweets from Reuters, but those images of children are real - nobody is manipulating them.

Yeah you'll get opinion writers whining and preaching about everyone else not helping them (but not themselves) but **** them, wouldn't waste my eye muscles.

I don't think anybody claims the pictures are fake, it's how they're used that constitutes manipulation. Reason and logic get short circuted.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭mammajamma

Sure we can just move the population of Yemen into Ballymeballs in Kerry. Problem solved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

But Ireland is a kip is what we hear and we can’t house da homeless blahhhhhhh!!

But Ireland is a kip is what we hear and we can’t house da homeless blahhhhhhh!!

Apparently we cant house homeless, but we somehow magically have room for the 250'000 naturalised new irish over the course of 5 years, and another 250'000 immigration applications to be processed in 2018.

Lets get it straight. Ireland is heading towards "kip" for irish people (housing, employment quality, healthcare), but its the land of milk and honey for outsiders.

Youd almost wonder if one comes at the expense of the other?!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

conorhal wrote: »
    The utter silence about Iran's involvement is a tad....odd, especially considering that this conflict is a proxy war between the regional powers of Saudi and Iran, until you remember that the left love Iran and their stance on the 'Great Satan!', so naturally you get silence from certian quarters and those are the quaters that tend to control the media news cycle.
    The usual suspects prefer the simplistic narrative of 'Orange man bad!', which doesn't tally with facts when you actually look at exactly who's selling arms to the saudis.......

The U.K., France and China remain major sellers to Saudi Arabia, with South Korea recently joining by reportedly providing anti-tank missiles.Turkey and a number of Eastern European countries also sent weapons and military equipment with others, such as Brazil, potentially joining the mix. Russia too has offered to cut a deal for weapons.

BUH.... ORANGE MAN BAD!!!

The Iranians aren't dropping bombs from their planes all over Yemen, so their involvement is of a much less direct nature than the Saudis.

On your other point about countries continuing to sell to the Saudis, agreed.

mammajamma wrote: »
    Apparently we cant house homeless, but we somehow magically have room for the 250'000 naturalised new irish over the course of 5 years, and another 250'000 immigration applications to be processed in 2018.

Lets get it straight. Ireland is heading towards "kip" for irish people (housing, employment quality, healthcare), but its the land of milk and honey for outsiders.

So saudi's are bombing yemen. Children are dying of starvation and you've decided this is the perfect time to start harping on about that crap. You tried starting a thread about it, it got closed. Are you going to spam every thread you can with this crap?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

you'd have to be a special kind of pr*ck to use a thread about the starvation of over 10m people due to a conflict beyond their control to moan about our own immigration.

Grayson wrote: »
    So saudi's are bombing yemen. Children are dying of starvation and you've decided this is the perfect time to start harping on about that crap. You tried starting a thread about it, it got closed. Are you going to spam every thread you can with this crap?

"crap" = actual problems in our own country.

"what about them there people over somewhere else?"

Its all related. Every single thing happening in the world is related, and its all bad news. Apologies for joined up thinking.

"crap" = actual problems in our own country.

"what about them there people over somewhere else?"

Its all related. Every single thing happening in the world is related, and its all bad news. Apologies for joined up thinking.

This is a thread about Yemen. I'm not going to post a recipe for spag bol and say "everything is connected"

• Advertisement

Grayson wrote: »
    This is a thread about Yemen. I'm not going to post a recipe for spag bol and say "everything is connected"

So you refuse to believe that what happened in the likes of Syria, and how it directly related to mass immigration into Europe, can also happen now with Yemen?

That's the equivalent thought process of "cannelloni". Laugh out loud etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

So you refuse to believe that what happened in the likes of Syria, and how it directly related to mass immigration into Europe, can also happen now with Yemen?

That's the equivalent thought process of "cannelloni". Laugh out loud etc.

How many Syrians has Ireland taken in?

Cina wrote: »
    you'd have to be a special kind of pr*ck to use a thread about the starvation of over 10m people due to a conflict beyond their control to moan about our own immigration.

You can say its as harsh as you like, call me a prick etc, but im a realist. Ive also spent time in actual warzones. I know the story.

While others might like to cry along the lines of "the poor black babies" from the comfort of their living rooms thousands of miles away, stroking their ego through the pretence of "caring", people who actually deal with it in reality learn that it is neverending.

It is all related, and you come very quickly to realise that its you or them. Sorry for the dose of cold reality. Maybe I'm a celebrity is on tonight and you can take a break from your token humanity.

How many Syrians has Ireland taken in?

That question isn't nearly as clever as you think it is. Heres the flipside, how many people immigrated into Europe under the pretence of the Syria problem?

How many afghanis would slip in under a Yemeni crisis?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Cina wrote: »

You can say its as harsh as you like, call me a prick etc, but im a realist. Ive also spent time in actual warzones. I know the story.

While others might like to cry along the lines of "the poor black babies" from the comfort of their living rooms thousands of miles away, stroking their ego through the pretence of "caring", people who actually deal with it in reality learn that it is neverending.

It is all related, and you come very quickly to realise that its you or them. Sorry for the dose of cold reality. Maybe I'm a celebrity is on tonight and you can take a break from your token humanity.
    Yea you've never stepped foot in a war zone you joke.

I once had the pleasure of seeing a bloke have his arms cut off. And then, "hilariously" try to escape over a wall.

Youre the joke, you little sheltered fool.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Airdrop of a pile of condoms and women's magazines would go a long way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

caused by over reliance on foreign non-roman soldiers and labourers who eventually took over the set up and pushed Rome into the dark ages.

Europe is heading that way.

Ireland could act as a refuge for European thought and education like it did before in the 5th century.

But not if we allow too many people in from badly developed parts of the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

I once had the pleasure of seeing a bloke have his arms cut off. And then, "hilariously" try to escape over a wall.

Youre the joke, you little sheltered fool.
    As I said.. You've never set foot in a war zone. In terms of sheltered. Person's with your views tend to be the most sheltered of all.

• Advertisement

As I said.. You've never set foot in a war zone. In terms of sheltered. Person's with your views tend to be the most sheltered of all.

I'll admit, its pretty annoying, almost infuriating, to hear someone dismiss my lived experiences as pure lies. Just for a moment.

In that particular instance it was a typical (for the region) muslim/Christian conflict. Consider this though. Put yourself in my shoes, "imagine" that im speaking the truth.

And then you read your comment.

Just imagine how much of a shytebag youd find that person to be.

Are you there yet?

Well, that's you.

And a reminder to myself that some anonymous clown on the internet means nothing to me (as im sure anyone, including you, would say). Its easy to get carried away. I hope you get a chance to experience some of the things I have, that would be great. Have a good evening now, stick on the tv and back to lala land.

Advertisement