Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Oat23 wrote: »
    Really enjoyed being kicked in the balls twice in the last 72 hours.

Happy for Vic though and I hope the report that he is being hired because he has agreed to let Elway have a big say in his staff is untrue.

Where are you reading that?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,203 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Where are you reading that?

Mike Florio on Chicago radio earlier was who said it.

I thought Bowles to Tampa was already done yesterday but it wasn't which is brilliant! He was always the #1 choice to replace Fangio and I'm glad he didn't sign anything in Tampa until Fangio's future was decided.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1083062425673453569

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Frankie Cortese

Oat23 wrote: »
    Mike Florio on Chicago radio earlier was who said it.

I thought Bowles to Tampa was already done yesterday but it wasn't which is brilliant! He was always the #1 choice to replace Fangio and I'm glad he didn't sign anything in Tampa until Fangio's future was decided.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1083062425673453569

Just watched Bruce Arians Football Life on Sky Sports USA today. Bowles spoke in it saying he owes Bruce everything, believed in him at Temple, took him to Arizona & before that Arians insistence of bringing him to Chicago before he got the Cards job is what cost him the Bears job.

Think the film was made in 2014 so things might be different now but if you watch that film, you’d be backing Bowles following him to Tampa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Teams sure to be queueing up to give Gregg Williams their HC job.

https://deadspin.com/gregg-williams-is-now-free-to-talk-to-all-of-those-nfl-1831612222

• Registered Users Posts: 37,783 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I thought Williams did a great job with the Browns. I think he deserved a shot at that job after his work as interim HC there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,203 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Just watched Bruce Arians Football Life on Sky Sports USA today. Bowles spoke in it saying he owes Bruce everything, believed in him at Temple, took him to Arizona & before that Arians insistence of bringing him to Chicago before he got the Cards job is what cost him the Bears job.

Think the film was made in 2014 so things might be different now but if you watch that film, you’d be backing Bowles following him to Tampa.

Yeah he could still go to Tampa of course, but I'm hoping the reason nothing has been announced with that is because he was waiting to see what happened with Fangio.

If Bowles goes to Tampa I'm not sure who will be the Bears next DC.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Career wise Bears is probably the better choice to rehabilitate himself. Arians will likely not be the HC for long down there and the Bears talent level on defense is so much higher.

On the other hand, it could be somewhat a poisoned chalice with the Bears as their defense was always likely to regress next year so he could end up taking all the blame when it does, especially if the offense doesn’t improve.

If I were Bowles I'd take the Tampa gig. Bucs D was atrocious last season so nobody is expecting instant success and if he does a good job he might get the opportunity to succeed Arians when he decides to go.

eagle eye wrote: »
    If I were Bowles I'd take the Tampa gig. Bucs D was atrocious last season so nobody is expecting instant success and if he does a good job he might get the opportunity to succeed Arians when he decides to go.

Confirmed he's gone to Tampa. You are probably right with that assessment of things. I would think it was probably still hard to turn down working with the likes of Mack though. The weather and tax situation probably eased the pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭letowski

Some reports last night that rumour Kyler Murray is going to declare for the NFL Draft.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

letowski wrote: »
    Some reports last night that rumour Kyler Murray is going to declare for the NFL Draft.

He's going to measure about 5ft8' and 180lbs. Somebody will fall in love with his arm and skillset, but I'm sure other teams will run.

Be interesting to see where he's taken, especially when he was a 1st round MLB pick as well.

Its a risk for him as I wouldn't want to see a team taking him before late in round 2 or 3. Others who have watched him more might have a better idea though.

I am seeing on Reddit people touting him as a top 10 pick, which is mad to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

letowski wrote:

He'll have to hand a very big cheque back to the A's as he already committed to baseball . Was his signing bonus $5m +

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Looks like the Broncos are going to appoint Ed Donatell as DC

And Adam Gase to NYJ. Thought the media were saying McCarthy previously.

Interesting hire, that. Gase argued a lot with media and players in Miami, he'll have fun doing that in NY.

letowski wrote: »

Two months ago Kliff Kingsbury said that he would draft Murray at No.1 if he had the option - now he does.

Knex. wrote: »

Interesting hire, that. Gase argued a lot with media and players in Miami, he'll have fun doing that in NY.

Personally I think he is over rated - his reputation was built when he had Manning as QB.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Frankie Cortese

Two months ago Kliff Kingsbury said that he would draft Murray at No.1 if he had the option - now he does.

Except he isn’t the GM & they already traded up last year for a QB who couldn’t do much behind that atroucious line.

He will be a top 20 pick when he goes. Despite my reservations over his height I do think he will succeed in the NFL.

He'd be insane to pick Murray before Haskins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

Knex. wrote: »

No interest in this hire whatsoever. Apparently Rhule had the job but wanted to bring in his own staff and the Front office said no, so he declined.

Bowles was a horrific head coach but at least his players stood by him

phatkev wrote:
    Bowles was a horrific head coach but at least his players stood by him
    I think Bowles might be a good head coach. It's clear his hands were tied in New York. The owner is very important in every franchise and the Jets owner is a poor one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

eagle eye wrote: »
    I think Bowles might be a good head coach. It's clear his hands were tied in New York. The owner is very important in every franchise and the Jets owner is a poor one.

He's showed me absolutely nothing over the last 4 years that would suggest he'd be a successful head coach.

While I agree that he had a terrible Front Office ( Macc should have been 100% fired as well) there's a lot of things that Bowles done or didn't do that he cant blame on the people above him.

He made mistakes his first year and people gave him the benefit of the doubt because it was his first season but he's still making the exact same mistakes 3 years later and that's just not good enough.
    The consistent ill discipline is on the coach
    The constant failure to prepare for games is on the coach.
    The constant time management issues are on the coach.
    Not having the balls to at least try and win games is on the coach.
    Having players on your team that dont know the basic rules of football is on the coach.

Poor Josh Rosen

I'm.just happy gearing all these appointments and hoping Kris Richard stays in Dallas. He's beloved there and we're hoping he doesn't leave us

brinty wrote: »
    Poor Josh Rosen

The Broncos would give them a 3rd rounder for Rosen

brinty wrote: »
    He'll have to hand a very big cheque back to the A's as he already committed to baseball . Was his signing bonus $5m +

Can’t remember where it was but I saw someone doing an analysis of MLB vs NFL potential earnings and it pointed that the general consensus that MLB is the easier financial path is flawed. If he gets drafted in the first he’ll have a lot of money guaranteed for his rookie deal and even if he’s a complete disaster as a QB drafted in the first he’d likely end up with a nice cushy backup job for the rest of his career (see Gabbert’s multiple chances in the league).

Obviously, the initial signing bonus, potential for injuries, and if he ends up becoming a top star in the MLB could skew things but at this point it pretty much boils down to which sport he prefers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Can’t remember where it was but I saw someone doing an analysis of MLB vs NFL potential earnings and it pointed that the general consensus that MLB is the easier financial path is flawed. If he gets drafted in the first he’ll have a lot of money guaranteed for his rookie deal and even if he’s a complete disaster as a QB drafted in the first he’d likely end up with a nice cushy backup job for the rest of his career (see Gabbert’s multiple chances in the league).

Obviously, the initial signing bonus, potential for injuries, and if he ends up becoming a top star in the MLB could skew things but at this point it pretty much boils down to which sport he prefers.
    The herd with Colin cowherd or whatever his name is

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Foxtrol wrote: »

So are we saying:

1. Drafted in the first/second round - Murray plays NFL
    2. Drafted in later rounds - Murray plays MLB

He's in a great position with a few million in the bank regardless of what happens.

• Advertisement

The herd with Colin cowherd or whatever his name is

I definitely didn’t get it directly from there and now that I hear he agrees I'll have to change my mind :(
    So are we saying:

1. Drafted in the first/second round - Murray plays NFL
    2. Drafted in later rounds - Murray plays MLB

He's in a great position with a few million in the bank regardless of what happens.

If he ends up going into the draft he’ll have to come out 100% that he’s choosing football or he won’t get drafted until late. Don’t know how he can do that in the most forceful fashion but I can’t see a team spending a high pick on a guy who is half in the game and may walk away at any point.

Advertisement