Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Frankie Cortese

Foxtrol wrote: »
    If this is true I'm not sure what they've seen in him. Titans offense wasn't up to much at all last year and he hasn't really done much before. High potential for this to fall into the category I mention a while ago of teams overly reaching for a young OC to copy those that have been successful with them

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1082411956387147777

What does this mean for McDaniels? He interviewd for the gig didn’t he? Could the Browns get him?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

What does this mean for McDaniels? He interviewd for the gig didn’t he? Could the Browns get him?

Rapoport is saying GB was his only public interview so likely back to the Patriots unless something changes now. Wonder if last year played against him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Wonder if last year played against him.

Ya think :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Ya think

Serves him right but he'll get a job somewhere

Or drop down into a college HC role and be back in NFL in a year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Just means he'll stay at the Pats. Reports were that he's getting HC money anyway as OC. If he got an interview with the Pack, then he's still in-demand despite last year.

• Advertisement

Just means he'll stay at the Pats. Reports were that he's getting HC money anyway as OC. If he got an interview with the Pack, then he's still in-demand despite last year.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-coaching-rumors-josh-mcdaniels-enthusiastically-interested-in-coaching-browns-baker-mayfield/

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Due to some poor fantasy decisions I had the unfortunate experience of watching both more than I wished this season and I’ll have to disagree on your assessment of them. I’m not saying Flacco is fantastic, but Eli was incredibly poor even with an amazing array of weapons. Weren’t you one of the ones shouting for Flacco to come in yesterday? I don’t see a world where Flacco is seen as a better option than Jackson (albeit playing poorly) and not a better option than Eli.

I also think the chance you’re giving is more out of hope than reality. I should have clarified that me saying there was a reasonable chance was based on them moving on from Eli (which I think they need to do). There is a poor crop of QBs hitting FA this year and again in the draft. I don’t see them moving up to draft Haskins (if he even comes out). Teams will either overpay Taylor/Bridgewater or pick someone likely a bit cheaper like Flacco.

I was asking for Flacco to come in, but that's a one off game when the starter was playing as bad as you will ever see. I'm not advocating Ravens to start Flacco next season. You can't really compare the two situations.

Fact of the matter is, Eli has been a better QB than Flacco throughout his career. Eli has hit 4k yards 7 times, Flacco just once. Eli has 25 TDs 7 times, Flacco just twice.

Yes Eli has regressed hard, but there's no way you're dumping him for Joe Flacco. Another aging QB with a big cap hit and no real future in the league. It's just not happening.

He has the same issues as Eli in that he isn't mobile and needs time in the pocket to be serviceable, and when he has had that, his career hasn't even reached Eli's standard.

Eli may not be in Big Blue next year, but Flacco certainly will not be.

Knex. wrote: »
    I was asking for Flacco to come in, but that's a one off game when the starter was playing as bad as you will ever see. I'm not advocating Ravens to start Flacco next season. You can't really compare the two situations.

Fact of the matter is, Eli has been a better QB than Flacco throughout his career. Eli has hit 4k yards 7 times, Flacco just once. Eli has 25 TDs 7 times, Flacco just twice.

Yes Eli has regressed hard, but there's no way you're dumping him for Joe Flacco. Another aging QB with a big cap hit and no real future in the league. It's just not happening.

He has the same issues as Eli in that he isn't mobile and needs time in the pocket to be serviceable, and when he has had that, his career hasn't even reached Eli's standard.

Eli may not be in Big Blue next year, but Flacco certainly will not be.

I don’t know how you can on the one hand say Flacco needs a clean pocket to be serviceable and then say he was a potential cure for the issues against the Chargers, when they were destroying the Ravens OL all game and had Jackson scrambling for his life.

I don’t disagree on their respective career achievements, but it doesn’t matter a toss when we’re talking about what they can do now. As was pointed out on the game thread, Flacco had John Brown trending towards a 1000 yard season and it would be generous to Brown to say he’d be the 4th best weapon on the Giants offense.

The biggest thing that stands out in your post is that you’ve avoided the crux of the issue, if Eli isn’t there then who is.

In a perfect world they wouldn’t go near Flacco but when you look at their options is when it starts to make some sense. I don’t see them giving up what will be needed to move up for Haskins, nor overpaying for Taylor or Bridgewater. Trading for someone like Carr is again a questionable move, as he might never be at the level required. What they need is a serviceable QB for next season, hope to draft a QB next year, and then the QB they signed have the maturity to move into the background and become a mentor. Flacco has made a lot of money and I think could take a team friendly deal in the right situation and would do that role well.

Again, I’m not advocating this, nor them picking up any of the FA QBs, as they’ll end up winning too many games. I hate tanking but they’ve boxed themselves into a really bad position by taking Barkley last year so really their best bet is to keep Eli and throw away another season, which is such a waste with the players they have on offense.

It’ll be interesting to see how things play out, especially as I can’t see a situation where the NY media don’t end up pissed off.

Broncos have informed Taylor, Flores and Pagano that they are no longer considered candidates for the Broncos HC job - down to Munchak and Fangio (with apparently Fangio the favourite).

(Of course they could decide neither is suitable and hire Shanahan).

• Advertisement

In announcing Kingsbury as their head coach Arizona didn't even try to be subtle with their 'any association with McVay will do to be hired'

https://twitter.com/BonaguraESPN/status/1082760386024157185

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I assume those a la Peter King who were apoplectic about Antonio Brown quitting on his team will feel the same outrage about Kingsbury?

I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,389 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Paully D wrote: »
    I assume those a la Peter King who were apoplectic about Antonio Brown quitting on his team will feel the same outrage about Kingsbury?

I doubt it.

Brown quit during the season. Kingsbury quit after the season didn't he?

Yeah, that's quite different.

Brown quit before the biggest game of the season in monumentally asshole fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Shedite27 wrote: »

He joined USC 4 weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Shedite27 wrote: »

He was let go at the end of the season by Texas Tech. USC stepped in and offered a role for next season as their OC, a role he agreed to take and joined them during December.

The criticisms aimed at him is the fact that within 43 days he's been fired, accepted a new College coaching job and then stepped away from it and accepted an NFL head coaching job. It's crazy.

I get that if the NFL come knocking you go but it's not even a month gone since he accepted the role at USC. They had tried to block any talks between him and the NFL teams but eventually allowed him. It leaves their program and HC specifically in a tough situation. Kingsbury was to come in and shape up their offence, something that was needed, and more or less help the HC keep his job. I can understand why people are not impressed.

I wouldn't say it's the same as Browns situation but I still think it wasn't great from Kingsbury. I know he's looking out for himself which he's entitled to do but after commiting to a job after being fired to walk out so soon after isn't great in my eyes, especially considering what he no doubt sold to the USC board when applying.

Then again it didn't harm Bill Belichick, and it is entertaining. Do think it's a strange call by Cards too. The guy has no coaching experience in the NFL, recently lost his HC job in College and the best offer he had received was to get himself back on track as an OC, then fast forward a couple of weeks and he's the head coach of a team in the NFL. Could work out but still a mad timelilne.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,963 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Well Texas Tech's offense was the worst I've ever seen in in all my time following football.
    I think it's a horrendous decision by the Cards and if I was a player who cares about winning things I'd be looking to get out.

The Cards are the new Browns imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,389 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Paully D wrote: »

I doubt it.
    From this week's FMIA (Peter King's column)...
    9. I think the whole Kliff Kingsbury thing (fired at Texas Tech after going 35-40, never been on an NFL coaching staff, jumped to USC as offensive coordinator before waiting to hear if any NFL team would be interesting in interviewing him) is wholly odd. Exactly one month after Kingbury’s got hired to be USC’s offensive coordinator for 2019, USC denied him permission to interview with the Cards and Jets for their head-coaching jobs, which is totally fair. If Kingsbury wanted to work in the NFL, he shouldn’t have taken a college job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

eagle eye wrote: »

Nah, the Redskins have that title locked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,862 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Nah, the Redskins have that title locked up.

I dunno lads, John Gruden wants a word.

• Advertisement

Don't think Gruden is going to be the disaster with the Raiders that a lot are hoping for or expecting, tbh.

The Klingsbury hire will be an entertaining one for outsiders at least. Not sure I'd be happy as a Cardinals fan, however.

That said, not sure I'd be happy with any of the coach hires thus far. If Jets get McCarthy though, I think they'll be laughing. Could be a similar situation to Andy Reid moving to Kansas.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,860 ✭✭✭nerd69

eagle eye wrote: »
    Well Texas Tech's offense was the worst I've ever seen in in all my time following football.
    I think it's a horrendous decision by the Cards and if I was a player who cares about winning things I'd be looking to get out.

It could be argued the cards where the Browns first to be honest they just got old in between I'm curious to see how people view the browns in a decade look at the lions now and that haven't been that good just not awful

Think Arians is a decent enough signing (along with his team) to see if the Bucs can improve with what they have already before taking the option to blow the whole thing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Delighted to see this as a Steelers fan.

And it's done. I like this hire! He had a lot of talent to work with, sure, but the players seemed to absolutely love him too.

Think Broncos can be excited about this one.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1083046454657191936

https://twitter.com/mortreport/status/1083044789673738247?s=19

Hope that doesn't turn into a McAdoo type situation for them, when the OC gets the head coach job because of his QB work.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,226 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Really enjoyed being kicked in the balls twice in the last 72 hours.

Happy for Vic though and I hope the report that he is being hired because he has agreed to let Elway have a big say in his staff is untrue.

Knex. wrote: »
    And it's done. I like this hire! He had a lot of talent to work with, sure, but the players seemed to absolutely love him too.

Think Broncos can be excited about this one.

I think it was the best option for Denver at this time.

Fangio will focus on the defence and Gary Kubiak will run the offence.

• Advertisement

Oat23 wrote: »
    Happy for Vic though and I hope the report that he is being hired because he has agreed to let Elway have a big say in his staff is untrue.

The Broncos assistants are a good bunch - and have made progress - the big issues last season, after Joseph, were the coordinators.

It will be interesting to see if Joe Woods will remain as DC - with Fangio running the offence and Woods coaching the DBs (which he is good at) - and if Musgrave will remain (and moving back to QB coach - while still possibly retaining the OC title).

Advertisement