Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,863 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Is that the reason Mayfield is pissed though? I heard that Hue said something about all the QBs he should've picked over Mayfield, and basically that wasn't the only time he threw his players under the bus as a reason for his failures. Also many in the Browns aren't happy with Hue with comments he made after his sacking, or so I hear anyway.
    Can totally understand Mayfield's ill-feeling towards Hue if that is true. If it is the 'joining a rivals' thing then yea, it's a bit pathetic.
    But the weird thing to me is that if it's the other stuff, then that a really GOOD reason to dislike him, and he would look better just telling the truth in that case. This just makes him seem both incredibly naive, to the point of being child like, and massively hypocritical.

Anyway you're probably right in that this does have the stink of PR bull**** on it. Gets people talking about him and what have you.

But I feel bad for Jackson, sure he was absolutely useless as a HC, and you could see in hard knocks how little command he had of the team, but he seemed a genuine guy who happened to be in over his head. I guess I'm just getting older and less inclined to be patient with young boy millionaires spouting off about an older, more experienced man who, though massively flawed in his job, clearly has a lot of experience of life and is doing what he can for his family, and probably just wants the browns good to be put behind him so he can get on with his career the best he can.

I'm sure Mayfield will one day realise what a twat he is being. I suppose most of us are just glad we weren't as famous at that age do the stupid **** we said never made the papers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Died on Friday Thanksgiving I think . He was mentioned during Broncos-Steelers.

I wonder if the inmates will have a minutes silence for him before lights out at the asylum?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Can I just point out that hue didn't need a job. The chap is a multi millionaire. He wanted a job

• Registered Users Posts: 10,863 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Can I just point out that hue didn't need a job. The chap is a multi millionaire. He wanted a job
    He wanted a career. A path in life, not just a job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

gstack166 wrote:
    Can’t possibly be joining a rival thing. Baker left Texas for Oklahoma, 2 schools in the same division!

This is incorrect,he left Texas Tech not Texas longhorns. He wasn't on a scholarship in Lubbock with the red raiders,a walk on I believe. Transferred to Oklahoma and was also a walk on

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

brinty wrote: »
    This is incorrect,he left Texas Tech not Texas longhorns. He wasn't on a scholarship in Lubbock with the red raiders,a walk on I believe. Transferred to Oklahoma and was also a walk on

That makes it worse! He left, Hue got fired. What does he want Jackson to do? Not work again?

Hue didn’t walk out and join the Bengals he was fired. Baker decided to walk out on Texas Tech.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Derek Carr got sacked this weekend in three straight plays but what makes it more noticeable is it was the same player each time. In this case Matt Judon of the Ravens

The last time a player got three straight sacks was Cullen Jenkins in 2006

You can blame the raiders offense but also the coaches. Some issue three plays in a row is on the coaches too

Anyway, a rare stat achieved :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭letowski

This is an interesting perspective (whether true or false)

https://twitter.com/AllbrightNFL/status/1067181842640433152

I think there is more to this than just Baker is salty over Hue joining a divisional rival.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

letowski wrote: »
    This is an interesting perspective (whether true or false)

https://twitter.com/AllbrightNFL/status/1067181842640433152

I think there is more to this than just Baker is salty over Hue joining a divisional rival.
    It's not interesting if false.
    I'd imagine plenty of people in the NFL have cozy relationships with people in the media, where else did this person get the "truth" from?

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

How dare anybody get upset with Baker :)

He's a stud QB wearing Brown and Orange and he's lighting it up.

Jackson threw anyone under the bus he could in his time in Cleveland. He was the biggest spoofer and chancer head coach in pro sports. I'd be horrified if i was a Bengals fan with him getting picked up like that. And still having to deal with Lewis.

Bengals were 4-1 and had the Steelers on the ropes (Ahead in the final two minutes) THIS SEASON.

What a **** show.

Browns to end the Texans win streak this week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,115 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I find it utterly bizarre how many frequently ineffective coaches are "respected" in the NFL.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I find it utterly bizarre how many frequently ineffective coaches are "respected" in the NFL.

It was just so clear from Hard Knocks and even other snippets that players didn't really respect him the way they should respect a HC.
    1 example that really struck me was at about 45 secs in this video when he's giving a post-game speech. #82 for the Browns nearly shoulders Hue to the ground and even the way the other players reacted you could tell they didn't really respect him. I just couldn't imagine anyone doing that to a Beilichick, Reid, Tomlin or McVay. You just don't do that to your HC.
    Even at the highest sporting level I played at I wouldn't have dreamed of doing that to the manager.
    And after everything that Hue Jackson did at Cleveland, from his losses to throwing players and other coordinators under buses, I can't see him commanding respect at any other organisation, at least not in the short-term.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Podge_irl wrote: »

Jeff Fisher had 16 years as a head coach and was never mentioned as being on the hot seat. Every year coaches got fired, some mid season but the media were so kind to him and owners never lost patience

I don't know why he got so much love. :confused:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,115 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Jeff Fisher had 16 years as a head coach and was never mentioned as being on the hot seat. Every year coaches got fired, some mid season but the media were so kind to him and owners never lost patience

I don't know why he got so much love. :confused:

And look at the Rams now...

For a league that is so ruthless with players (who aren't called Eli Manning) they are absolutely ridiculously conservative with coaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,389 ✭✭✭Shedite27

It was just so clear from Hard Knocks and even other snippets that players didn't really respect him the way they should respect a HC.
    1 example that really struck me was at about 45 secs in this video when he's giving a post-game speech. #82 for the Browns nearly shoulders Hue to the ground and even the way the other players reacted you could tell they didn't really respect him. I just couldn't imagine anyone doing that to a Beilichick, Reid, Tomlin or McVay. You just don't do that to your HC.
    Even at the highest sporting level I played at I wouldn't have dreamed of doing that to the manager.
    And after everything that Hue Jackson did at Cleveland, from his losses to throwing players and other coordinators under buses, I can't see him commanding respect at any other organisation, at least not in the short-term.
    Different types of bosses/coaches in the world, some try to be buddies with the team, others more the Bellichek "strict principal" approach. Wouldn't read too much into that

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Different types of bosses/coaches in the world, some try to be buddies with the team, others more the Bellichek "strict principal" approach. Wouldn't read too much into that

It shows a fundamental lack of respect, especially when the cameras are there. Regardless of the strict principal or buddy approach, the number 1 requisite of any manager is to garner the respect of the players, something which Hue seemed to completely fail at at the Browns. There's very few managers around that wouldn't completely fcuk you out of it if you nearly shouldered them to the ground. Hue's reaction was pathetic there tbh, almost like he was looking around for help.
    And that was just 1 small example, I had a higher opinion of Hue after going 0-16 that I did after I saw him on Hard Knocks, and my initial opinion wasn't exactly positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭cosatron

Reuben foster gone to the redskins. They have some fascination with Alabama defensive players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

cosatron wrote: »
    Reuben foster gone to the redskins. They have some fascination with Alabama defensive players.

It’s a bit of a long term punt on him more than anything. He won’t play or practice this season but they now hold his rights for the next two years if he is cleared of the charges. And it doesn’t cost a roster spot as he’s on the commissioner’s inactive list or whatever that list players facing legal issues is called.

As a Redskins fan, I’ve no time for someone like him on the team.

It’s a bit of a long term punt on him more than anything. He won’t play or practice this season but they now hold his rights for the next two years if he is cleared of the charges. And it doesn’t cost a roster spot as he’s on the commissioner’s inactive list or whatever that list players facing legal issues is called.

As a Redskins fan, I’ve no time for someone like him on the team.

yea I was surprised ye picked him up. to be honest I thought he was done cause lynch was high as hell on him and gave him every chance at the 49ers. he seems flat out crazy or stupid. what do you think of Clinton dix, we're delighted his out of green bay. he shows flashes but flatters to deceive. he made a balls of coopers td.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

The cognitive dissonance of one team being forced to release a player because of media scrutiny, but then another team getting zero flack for picking up the same player will never cease to amaze me.

Realistically, Washington should get so much heat now that they have to release Foster immediately.

Imagine if they signed Kaepernick? But a woman beater is fine, apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I'd be surprised if he plays another down again.

Knex. wrote: »

Realistically, Washington should get so much heat now that they have to release Foster.

They are getting plenty of heat if today’s Washington Post is anything to go by.

Yeah, I’d agree with this.

what do you think of Clinton dix, we're delighted his out of green bay..

He's been quite poor so far but it’s only 2 games so might not be fair to totally blame him at this stage. Although when you make a mid season acquisition you really expect him to fit him right away and play to a high level immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

He's so talented that I'm almost positive he will.

NFL has priors, even with domestic abuse. Greg Hardy, Tyreek Hill, AP, and John Brown, a ****ing kicker, to name a few.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

As long as there is no video like in the Ray Rice situation, he'll play again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

How dare anybody get upset with Baker :)

He's a stud QB wearing Brown and Orange and he's lighting it up.

Jackson threw anyone under the bus he could in his time in Cleveland. He was the biggest spoofer and chancer head coach in pro sports. I'd be horrified if i was a Bengals fan with him getting picked up like that. And still having to deal with Lewis.

Bengals were 4-1 and had the Steelers on the ropes (Ahead in the final two minutes) THIS SEASON.

What a **** show.

Browns to end the Texans win streak this week.

Although Baker's comments about leaving for a rival don't make 100% sense, i think there is a lot of animosity there and his comments were misguided attempt at showing the level of dislike Baker and the team have for Hue. Hue was a dick when he left and i can only imagine what he was like as a Head Coach. Hue trying to give Baker a hug post game knowing there is no relationship there, seemed like pure BS. Baker was right to reject it and offer a handshake.

There was a reason why the Browns DB handed the intercepted ball to Hue to humiliate him.

Hazys wrote: »
    Although Baker's comments about leaving for a rival don't make 100% sense, i think there is a lot of animosity there and his comments were misguided attempt at showing the level of dislike Baker and the team have for Hue. Hue was a dick when he left and i can only imagine what he was like as a Head Coach. Hue trying to give Baker a hug post game knowing there is no relationship there, seemed like pure BS. Baker was right to reject it and offer a handshake.

There was a reason why the Browns DB handed the intercepted ball to Hue to humiliate him.

i would take the bolded part with a pinch of salt as damarios randall is a grade A douche, the locker room in green bay couldn't wait to get ride of him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,754 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

http://www.espn.com/nfl/playoffs/machine

The ESPN playoff machine is back for 2018. I've tried it previously but it's always a good laugh.

Advertisement