Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Paully D wrote: »
    Have a read of this. Warren has been banging this drum for a while now:

https://twitter.com/sharpfootball/status/1065261389185470464?s=21

Same play calls every series and horrible clock management. And your QB hits his teammates helmets with the ball. :pac: That twitter rips apart the Jags in only four tweets, it's shocking that they haven't sorted the exact same issues from last season. It's not even a talent issue, it could be fixed instantly

I wonder how the Jaguars D feel about their careers been wasted

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

https://twitter.com/KeithBritton86/status/1065311218351697920?s=19

Video here from 3:07. His smirk makes it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Paully D wrote:
    20 years ago, crazy!

It is surely PaullyD but that locker room was toxic and throwing Moss into it would've been terrible for his career. He might never gave been as good as he was had the h cowboys selected him

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lionbacker

20 years ago, crazy!

God, I thought Joe Buck was bad. You wouldn't know a TD was scored, if you were to just go on the complete lack of emotion in the commentator's voice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,644 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Lionbacker wrote: »
    God, I thought Joe Buck was bad. You wouldn't know a TD was scored, if you were to just go on the complete lack of emotion in the comentator's voice.

Emotion in a comentators voice is okay to a point but the NFL offficial YouTube channel have put up a load of full games in perfect quality and you can see the envolution of the commentator. I like commentators to be like a contestant on the TV show "catchphrase" and say what you see. The outside stuff isn't apealing to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Not this ****e again.

Well I suppose they had to move on from the 'Duke would beat the Cavs' talk after the other night.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭Christy42

Ask a sportsman about their odds and they will say they will win. It is in their make up. It is part of what makes them good.

I bet Brady would claim he could beat the youngsters when he is 70.

That said it is obviously bull. Bama would be lucky not to go 0-16 with the easiest schedule imaginable. Even then the possible 1 win would be a case of everything going right for them and bad for the Raiders or whoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭Blut2

As someone puts it in the article: "in a good year Bama have 10 NFL quality players. The worst NFL team has 52 NFL quality players".

No matter how good the coaching in Bama they just couldn't cut it in the NFL because of that quality gap. I'd say best case scenario they might eek out one win a year against the likes of the Browns in previous years or this years Raiders or Giants due to being more disciplined/better coached if less skilled. But thats about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,841 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

They haven't even won the college championship yet ffs. Last time I heard they would beat half the NFL deshaun Watson made fools of the lot of them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Blut2 wrote: »
    As someone puts it in the article: "in a good year Bama have 10 NFL quality players. The worst NFL team has 52 NFL quality players".

No matter how good the coaching in Bama they just couldn't cut it in the NFL because of that quality gap. I'd say best case scenario they might eek out one win a year against the likes of the Browns in previous years or this years Raiders or Giants due to being more disciplined/better coached if less skilled. But thats about it.

I wouldn't be so sure. Look how many of those 53 players are out of the league within a year or 2.

However in saying thqt, the physicality imho is a significant step above college ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

For all their bragging, Alabama would have got demolished by that 2001 Miami team. Forget 10 NFL quality players in a year, that team had 38 who would go on to the NFL, and 17(!) in the first round. Of those, a dozen would become Pro Bowlers and 3-4 are either dead certs (Ed Reed, Frank Gore) or have good shots (Vince Wilfork, Andre Johnson) at the Hall of Fame.

Alabama is famed for it's running game, with a little infamy that those same backs sometimes struggle to do as well in the NFL (Eddie Lacy, Trent Richardson most notably). Well the running backs on that Miami Hurricanes roster would go on to total 34,769 rushing yards between them in their NFL careers... if Gore can pick up another 231 yards before the end of the season, they'll have topped 35,000 - that is absolutely f***ing insane. (Frank Gore - 14,554yds and counting, Clinton Portis - 9,923yds, Willis McGahee - 8,474yds, Najeh Davenport - 1,819yds). They also combine for over 7,500 receiving yards...

Oh, and Ed Reed/Sean Taylor in terms of talent has an argument that it would have been the best safety pairing the NFL has ever seen. If Taylor wasn't killed, he'd likely have made his way up with Wilfork/Johnson on the 'possible future HOFer' list.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001_Miami_Hurricanes_football_team#Roster

I don't understand how anybody can take him seriously.

The NFL really does have a mental case of nepotism, with a jobs for the boys attitude being rife throughout franchises.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,203 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

They kept showing the Mayfield/Hue handshake and hug attempt on a loop on GMFB today and I'm still cringing.

They really hate him for going to Cincy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Oat23 wrote: »
    They kept showing the Mayfield/Hue handshake and hug attempt on a loop on GMFB today and I'm still cringing.

They really hate him for going to Cincy.

To be fair to Jackson though, when the Bengals called he could hardly say “No thanks, I’ve got Bill Belichick on the other line”. I don’t think there were too many offers coming his way. Beggars can’t be choosers and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,203 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

To be fair to Jackson though, when the Bengals called he could hardly say “No thanks, I’ve got Bill Belichick on the other line”. I don’t think there were too many offers coming his way. Beggars can’t be choosers and all that.

True but you can understand why some Browns players aren't alright with it. Mayfield said something like "He was in our locker room asking us to play for him then he goes to a team we play twice a year."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Nathaniel Hackett given his marching orders in Jacksonville.

• Advertisement

Oat23 wrote: »
    True but you can understand why some Browns players aren't alright with it. Mayfield said something like "He was in our locker room asking us to play for him then he goes to a team we play twice a year."

I somewhat took that as the PC reason he was giving the media. I don't think he liked or respected Hue as a coach at all.
    OOnegative wrote: »
    Nathaniel Hackett given his marching orders in Jacksonville.

Bit of a poisoned chalice when your QB is Bortles on a new contract. However, its about time. There's been numerous articles about how predictable and timid they are - such as the Patriots playoff game last year.

When did the Texans owner die and how come I didn't hear about it during the eagles game yesterday ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    When did the Texans owner die and how come I didn't hear about it during the eagles game yesterday ?

Died on Friday Thanksgiving I think . He was mentioned during Broncos-Steelers.

Died on Friday Thanksgiving I think . He was mentioned during Broncos-Steelers.

Yeah I've just checked and it was Friday. He wasn't mentioned in the Giants eagles game as far as I can recall.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

https://twitter.com/dustinfox37/status/1067133736393867264?s=21

I love Baker! I’m a Browns fan, but this beef with Hue, he’s out of line IMO.

The man needed a job, he has said numerous times he’s feels at home in Ohio, rumours are he was told he’ll get the HC job when Marvin Lewis retires. It was a no brainier for him!

No problem with Baker just not liking Hue, I wasn’t his biggest fan either, but to throw digs at him for taking a job, which he needed to do ASAP so people don’t remember him as Browns HC as much or as often, hard as that will be able to do, is a bit out of line for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,841 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

gstack166 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/dustinfox37/status/1067133736393867264?s=21

I love Baker! I’m a Browns fan, but this beef with Hue, he’s out of line IMO.

The man needed a job, he has said numerous times he’s feels at home in Ohio, rumours are he was told he’ll get the HC job when Marvin Lewis retires. It was a no brainier for him!

No problem with Baker just not liking Hue, I wasn’t his biggest fan either, but to throw digs at him for taking a job, which he needed to do ASAP so people don’t remember him as Browns HC as much or as often, hard as that will be able to do, is a bit out of line for me.

Is he seriously angry with Jackson for going to a rival? He has a serious amount to learn about the business of the NFL, and the nature of careers and life in general, if he thinks anyone would, or should, turn down a job because they are a rival of his old team.

Let alone the fact that he was fired! I mean, does he think that Jackson owes the Browns some kind of loyalty? He needed a job, should he uproot his whole family to another part of the country just because the Bengals and the Browns are supposed to "hate" each other? I look forward to Mayfield refusing to countenance any division rivals if he ever finds himself being cut by the Browns.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Is that the reason Mayfield is pissed though? I heard that Hue said something about all the QBs he should've picked over Mayfield, and basically that wasn't the only time he threw his players under the bus as a reason for his failures. Also many in the Browns aren't happy with Hue with comments he made after his sacking, or so I hear anyway.
    Can totally understand Mayfield's ill-feeling towards Hue if that is true. If it is the 'joining a rivals' thing then yea, it's a bit pathetic.

I’m sure Mayfield will be turning down a job if he ever finds himself in the position of needing to and being offered one? :rolleyes:

I like him, thought he was the best QB in last year’s draft by a long way, but this trying to create drama when there isn’t any and tough guy act to propel his name in the spotlight with a “look how much Baker cares/is driven to win” thing is stupid in the extreme.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

Can’t possibly be joining a rival thing. Baker left Texas for Oklahoma, 2 schools in the same division!

He’s making it out to be it’s because he joined the Bengals, just think he’d get more respect calling out Hue for what really has made him dislike the man.

Personally I’d say Baker feels wronged. He never got a look in for the starters job when it clear he was the better QB & was ready to start in pre season.

• Advertisement

Also Baker is wrong when he says he and Hue’s situations aren’t comparable.

Baker wasn’t going to get a scholarship, and Hue wasn’t going to have a job.

Very fair comparison IMO.

Advertisement