Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,628 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Surely testing this soon after any exposure doesn't guarantee Vikings players don't have it? I seems crazy to believe they have the all clear and things are safe to open up.

Well before this week it was announced all league officials and players were negative so in less than a week we have positive cases so why would it be too early ? They’d be tested at some point this week anyway for the upcoming week. Also, I think the vikings are doing it as a precaution given they played the Titans last Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,049 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Well before this week it was announced all league officials and players were negative so in less than a week we have positive cases so why would it be too early ? They’d be tested at some point this week anyway for the upcoming week. Also, I think the vikings are doing it as a precaution given they played the Titans last Sunday.

Because it generally takes several days for people to come back positive but they can still spread the virus for the days prior to testing positive.

For example, if one of the Titans player gave it to just one Vikings player who now has it but at too low levels to come up positive in tests. They go back training tomorrow because they have 'no positive tests' but can then go to practice and spread it to 4 more players, who can spread it to their family and more players until the first guy eventually fails his test.

It is why people are supposed to restrict their movements for 14 days after becoming in contact with an infected person and why testing at airports wouldn't catch everyone arriving carrying COVID

So these are the 3 players.

Jones seems to be the most likely for cross infection to the Vikings, having played 45 snaps on the line. Given the mix of positions, there's a decent chance more Titans with test positive over the next few days.

https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1311045582493044738?s=20

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Because it generally takes several days for people to come back positive but they can still spread the virus for the days prior to testing positive.

For example, if one of the Titans player gave it to just one Vikings player who now has it but at too low levels to come up positive in tests. They go back training tomorrow because they have 'no positive tests' but can then go to practice and spread it to 4 more players, who can spread it to their family and more players until the first guy eventually fails his test.

It is why people are supposed to restrict their movements for 14 days after becoming in contact with an infected person and why testing at airports wouldn't catch everyone arriving carrying COVID

You could have just said you disagree with me foxtrol. I gave my opinion and all you had to say is I disagree. There’s no need to go through my post and pick holes in it. Put me on ignore if you want because in relation to Covid I’m not going to get into long debates about. I’m sick of ****ing Covid.

You could have just said you disagree with me foxtrol. I gave my opinion and all you had to say is I disagree. There’s no need to go through my post and pick holes in it. Put me on ignore if you want because in relation to Covid I’m not going to get into long debates about. I’m sick of ****ing Covid.

You responded to me and asked a question in it. Pardon me for presuming you wanted an answer to it.
    Well before this week it was announced all league officials and players were negative so in less than a week we have positive cases so why would it be too early ?

We're all very much sick of COVID, everyone has been impacted. 'Opinions' on the subject however aren't created equal and the belief that they are is causing deaths and long term issues for millions of people. I'm more than happy to be corrected on the subject but everything I've heard and every policy in place points to your opinion being wrong.

Not trying to be an ass, but if you don't want a discussion on COVID then I'd advise to avoid not posting about it.

• Advertisement

Any bars in Dublin be showing the 6pm game? Be great if they also did lovely chicken wings

What foolish dreams I had in early September?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭boccy23

2 more Titans test positive according to Adam Schefter.

What's that now? 6 or 7 players.

Is their Week 5 game in jeopardy now as well I wonder. It is definitely a competitive disadvantage for a league that prides itself on competitive balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭Shedite27

boccy23 wrote: »
    2 more Titans test positive according to Adam Schefter.

What's that now? 6 or 7 players.

Is their Week 5 game in jeopardy now as well I wonder. It is definitely a competitive disadvantage for a league that prides itself on competitive balance.

I think they may conveniently forget that pride this year - finishing the season will be priority 1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

I think once they are sure that they have isolated everyone that is effected then you have to get the team back on the field regardless if they are missing a few starters. You would imagine that they will have to play week 5. While player health and safety is the number one priority, cancelling multiple games every time there is a cluster / outbreak is not workable from a scheduling POV

This is very unfortunate for the Titans but perhaps it might serve as a wake up call to the rest of the league. The video of Carr and the other LV Raiders players at a busy public event that is doing the rounds springs to mind.

More Titans staff and players testing positive today. Week 5 looking very questionable now if cases continue to pop up. If it hasn't already, the decision will be whether they start adding on games at the end of the season or start making them forfeit. The latter is pretty difficult precedent to set given they've already moved one game, what if another team gets its first cases after their bye week - it would be very unfair to make them forfeit based on the timing of the outbreak when Titans got to postpone their game.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1312382179708633089?s=20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Has the Pro Bowl been cancelled yet? Perhaps an option to do that and move the playoffs back a week (which wouldn't change the Super Bowl date) and create an extra week during the regular season.

Though I guess that's unfair on teams with an early bye, as a Super Bowl run could potentially be 15 straight gameweeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭markc91

Could they not give each team two bye weeks?

Cam on the list now too, out this weekend.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1312408476191162369?s=20

Cam Newton has been placed on the covid list by the patriots and is out for Sunday’s game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

I read somewhere that there is a contingency plan where the SuperBowl is played on February 28th if needed. That gives them a few additional weeks to play with if they have to go that route.

It would have made sense to build in the additional bye weeks from the outset. Forfeits will mean lost TV money in a year where revenue is already decimated so I don’t see that happening. They have set the precedent now by moving the game for the Titans in any case.

I read somewhere that there is a contingency plan where the SuperBowl is played on February 28th if needed. That gives them a few additional weeks to play with if they have to go that route.

It would have made sense to build in the additional bye weeks from the outset. Forfeits will mean lost TV money in a year where revenue is already decimated so I don’t see that happening. They have set the precedent now by moving the game for the Titans in any case.

That is a good solution. It would also mean taking away some value of the bye week, which at this stage is just too much of an advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

They should cancel week 4 at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,876 ✭✭✭Christy42

Cam Newton has been placed on the covid list by the patriots and is out for Sunday’s game.

That game is obviously a big risk now as well if any more cases come to light.

Christy42 wrote: »
    That game is obviously a big risk now as well if any more cases come to light.

Yes but as of now no other players have tested positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

This is Stidham's time to shine

• Advertisement

Chiefs vs pats game is off tomorrow and it’s hoped to be played Monday or Tuesday. This is starting to become messy.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,716 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

So positive tests on both teams. That changes things a bit.

Chiefs vs pats game is off tomorrow and it’s hoped to be played Monday or Tuesday. This is starting to become messy.

Why do they think they will get to play it on Monday or Tuesday?

No chance.

Masked Man wrote: »
    They should cancel week 4 at this stage!

If they plan on getting through the season they need for teams to play when they're healthy enough to do so. It'll likely be a team or two with issues many weeks. You can't cancel all games each time a few teams cant play

Why do they think they will get to play it on Monday or Tuesday?

No chance.

Well the chief player is on the practice squad.

Well the chief player is on the practice squad.

But realistically, given how virulent this virus is, there will be more cases within the backroom team and first team squad, not to mention what's on the Patriots' side. Cmon loike.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I guess they just want to test everyone again, particularly close contacts to see who has been exposed and then they will play the game.

Otherwise you could get a Titans situation again.

But realistically, given how virulent this virus is, there will be more cases within the backroom team and first team squad, not to mention what's on the Patriots' side. Cmon loike.

I’m not disagreeing I’m just pointing out that the chiefs player is on the practice squad so there’s some kind of separation. But yeah all it takes is one break in the practices and bamn. I wonder if teams staying in designated hotels for the rest of the season would work or bubbles of some kind. I can easily see the playoffs being in a bubble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,716 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

It appears to me that there's no chance it'll be played on Monday or Tuesday, sounds more like they'll have a meeting on Monday or Tuesday to decide when they'll put it on.

Advertisement