Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

What's the story with TV rights for this season? Sky's deal was until the end of the 2019/20 season wasn't it? I presume they'll renew again but I haven't heard anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,339 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Brady and Manning are playing golf live on CNN at the moment (with Woods and Mickleson) if anyone interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭myate

Brady and Manning are playing golf live on CNN at the moment (with Woods and Mickleson) if anyone interested.

Peyton Manning is comedy gold!! Brady was pretty ordinary for a change, except for that one shot!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Shedite27 wrote: »
    I know a lad that did similar at college. Hot Chicken Rolls, Cans of Cider and Chipper every day did the trick. Didn't end up much of an athlete

He could have went pro if it wasn’t for his knee.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,208 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Knex. wrote: »
    First time I really remember being shocked at a lineman shedding weight so quickly was Chris Snee for the Giants a few years back. Within months he looked completely different.

Read a great article about the unhealthy relationship linemen have with food recently. Joe Thomas features in it quite a bit.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2020/5/5/21246544/offensive-linemen-diet-weight-loss-gain-eating

Kyle Long has just done the same thing. Massive weight loss after retirement. He played at 320lbs last season.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CAvdx09pdpb/?igshid=njpzkbrryvfz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,208 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Knex. wrote: »
    First time I really remember being shocked at a lineman shedding weight so quickly was Chris Snee for the Giants a few years back. Within months he looked completely different.

Read a great article about the unhealthy relationship linemen have with food recently. Joe Thomas features in it quite a bit.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2020/5/5/21246544/offensive-linemen-diet-weight-loss-gain-eating

Kyle Long has just done the same thing. Massive weight loss after retirement. He played at 320lbs last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,157 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Oat23 wrote: »

Holy s***

It’s crazy what these guys put their bodies through.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭mikemac2

I remember when Jimmy Graham was pushing for wide receiver franchise tag compensation though he was a tight end.

The Ravens have dealt with this situation a few times. Terrell Suggs wanted a defensive end franchise tag while the Ravens offered an outside linebackers franchise tag which was lower. Staff had to watch every single snap and in the end they split the difference.

This has happened again with 5th rounder passing rushing gem Matt Judon. The team called him an outside linebacker while Judon claimed he was a defensive end. I think Judon had a weaker case than Suggs imo. Again they split the difference and Judon will get a franchise tag halfway between DE and OLB.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

I never knew the DE salary was higher. I would have assumed the OLB one was.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

I never knew the DE salary was higher. I would have assumed the OLB one was.

OLBs in 4-3s are generally pretty lowly paid in comparison to DEs. I know the franchise is only on the top 10 but once you get past the rushing OLBs the salary drops off quite quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,679 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Looks like the NFL are willing to use the hall of fame game in August as a test event for the coming season with fans in attendance.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,854 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I think we'll all be back to normal by August. Looks like the scientist that said it would burn out were right.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

eagle eye wrote: »
    I think we'll all be back to normal by August. Looks like the scientist that said it would burn out were right.

It didn't just "burn out". Steps were taken to suppress it and stop it running wild.

But cases are creeping up in certain parts of the States. So I wouldn't be too celebratory yet.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Good read on the Titans pursuit of Manning a few years back.

https://www.si.com/nfl/titans/news/titans-peyton-manning-real-story

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

It'll be back with the winter flu

None of us know at all at this stage. Even the people that know what they’re talking about with this stuff can’t predict what will happen with it.

Good read on the Titans pursuit of Manning a few years back.

https://www.si.com/nfl/titans/news/titans-peyton-manning-real-story

That's a cracking read. Cheers!

Thank God he picked us!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

None of us know at all at this stage. Even the people that know what they’re talking about with this stuff can’t predict what will happen with it.

That's why we turn to people who know nothing, their answers are always so much clearer and more certain.

That's why we turn to people who know nothing, their answers are always so much clearer and more certain.

One is as much use as the next.

One is as much use as the next.

Experts > People who know nothing

This is always the case.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

No country is going to shut down again, life will continue tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ItAintMeBabe

Just on this, im a nurse and the general consensus across the board is that we are too be prepped and ready for a second wave, likely during flu season.

Gutted, really wanted to get to the Ravens/Skins game this year

• Registered Users Posts: 4,157 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

https://twitter.com/brgridiron/status/1273691349917761540?s=21

Blow to the 49ers he got better as last season wore in and looks like a real star in the making even if he is back after 3-4 games missing the entire pre season is not good

Just on this, im a nurse and the general consensus across the board is that we are too be prepped and ready for a second wave, likely during flu season.

Gutted, really wanted to get to the Ravens/Skins game this year

It'll be tough to be deemed a second wave when the first one isn't even done yet in many states. Some states are currently seeing daily record numbers and that is during summer, when it seems like the rate should be falling.

Such incompetence in government is making the likelihood of a full season of football, if any, seem less likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Foxtrol wrote: »
    It'll be tough to be deemed a second wave when the first one isn't even done yet in many states. Some states are currently seeing daily record numbers and that is during summer, when it seems like the rate should be falling.

Such incompetence in government is making the likelihood of a full season of football, if any, seem less likely.
    All from a total lack of patience and sense, as always. Living in Texas and the contrast with the attitudes I'm hearing from people in Ireland couldn't be sharper. They just won't believe something is serious here unless it happens to them personally. And yes I think it'll ultimately be highly damaging, and could well delay the football season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭Blut2

With the soccer premier league back playing behind closed doors already and various other professional sports leagues planning for behind closed doors comebacks this summer I would be pretty confident we will have an NFL season come September. America is just too obsessed with both money and personal freedom for there not to be. I just wouldn't be betting on fans being in attendance.

The big question I'd have is what happens if theres a patchwork of different state-based rules in place come September - could some teams make the valid point that they should be allowed have fans in the stadium, if their state isn't prohibiting it? But that would give a pretty significant unfair advantage. Or will the NFL just impose a blanket ban across all teams?

Blut2 wrote: »
    With the soccer premier league back playing behind closed doors already and various other professional sports leagues planning for behind closed doors comebacks this summer I would be pretty confident we will have an NFL season come September. America is just too obsessed with both money and personal freedom for there not to be. I just wouldn't be betting on fans being in attendance.

The big question I'd have is what happens if theres a patchwork of different state-based rules in place come September - could some teams make the valid point that they should be allowed have fans in the stadium, if their state isn't prohibiting it? But that would give a pretty significant unfair advantage. Or will the NFL just impose a blanket ban across all teams?

NFL have already showed signs that it'll be blanket. For the only big event so far, the draft, they made everyone draft from home even though some states would have allowed staff in the building.

American football squads and coaching teams are so much larger than what you're dealing with for nearly every other sport, so the risk of one of them becoming infected is higher. It is arguable that as a sport it also involves the most physical contact between teams on a consistent basis, again increasing the risk of infections.

I've always been on the side of thinking that they'd make it work but with rates still increasing in so many places during the summer I'm struggling to see how they get around the logistical problem of players becoming infected and quarantine. They could try the route of segregating everyone involved with the games in hotels but I dont see the NFLPA going for that. Extra money could sway some but I'm not sure many would sign up to not see their families for several months.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

As a 49ers fan I believe the start of the season should be delayed until Deebo Samuel is fit, it's completely safe for football to resume.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

There have have 6(I think) states that have had daily highs in the last 2 days for the virus. I really don’t see how a full season could be done if it has to start in September.

If they go ahead with it it will almost be as if they don’t value the health and safety of the players or something.....

Id be amazed they arent seriously discussing just wiping the pre season though. Have training camps later and hope that it has calmed down by then

Advertisement