Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

adrian522 wrote: »
    I have to say the whole thing is incredibly suspicious. I don't know to what level he planned it but it seems obvious that AB was doing his best to force his way out of Oakland and onto a contender (who the Steelers would never trade him to).

It's obviously not a new thing we see it in other sports all the time but it doesn't look great from where I'm standing.

So out of all this the Steelers have $20m in cap hit, the raiders lost a 3rd and a 5th round pick, the patriots get AB and (probably) a 3rd round pick at the end of the season and Brown gets what, $15m and a shot at a superbowl.

Thought so too but apparently for 10 year vets the maximum comp pick is a 5th

Glazer just said that pretty much every contact he has in the league thinks there was something shady behind the scenes with how things panned out with AB.

Fox panel tearing into him more than I've seen them do before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Oat23 wrote: »
    As long as he didn't end up on the Bears or Packers I didn't care where he went.
    Jesus pal. You say that, yet all your posts show otherwise. You clearly care where he went.
    It’s fine to hate that he went to the Pats, but the tin foil hate stuff is so juvenile.

As for tampering, the Pats had that with Revis and the Jets, and recently with Caserio and the Texans; but do people lose their cool and start conspiracies theories on here with disgust? No, of course not.

Funny to watch people freak out just cause it’s the Pats :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

It's only week 1 and the Sunday games haven't started yet and I'm already sick of all the 100 year celebration crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,689 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

It's only week 1 and the Sunday games haven't started yet and I'm already sick of all the 100 year celebration crap.
    Was that same thing on fox and cbs ? Hopefully that's the high point of this stuff.

• Advertisement

Jesus pal. You say that, yet all your posts show otherwise. You clearly care where he went.
    It’s fine to hate that he went to the Pats, but the tin foil hate stuff is so juvenile.

As for tampering, the Pats had that with Revis and the Jets, and recently with Caserio and the Texans; but do people lose their cool and start conspiracies theories on here with disgust? No, of course not.

Funny to watch people freak out just cause it’s the Pats :D

So when the Patriots cry tampering it is fine but anyone else says that something looks fishy then it is a tinfoil hat conspiracy theory showing disgust?

Doesn't sound like comments of a hyperbolic blinkered fan at all :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,215 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Please explain which posts in particular lead you to believe I care only because he signed with the Pats or that I hate it? If anyone should hate it it's other AFC East sides, the Steelers & the Raiders. The Pats won't play my team again for 3-4 years. I have no reason to care. All I did was table a theory (not even the first one in this thread who said it) and some of you Pats fans are flipping out that I suggested your team did something untoward. You're all so defensive :D

Please explain which posts in particular lead you to believe I care only because he signed with the Pats or that I hate it?
    Reread your posts. You don’t care, but constantly post to show that you do care. It’s all there in front of you.
    You're all so defensive :D
    Nope, too busy laughing at you, honestly.

The fact that you’re being thanked by someone who I’d to add to my ignore list due to their constant infatuation with the Pats (non-Pats topics even became Pats topics, it was creepy), only highlights further where you stand.

Loosen the tin foil hat and let the blood circulate :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,215 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Reread your posts. You don’t care, but constantly post to show that you do care. It’s all there in front of you.

Nope, too busy laughing at you, honestly.

The fact that you’re being thanked by someone who I’d to add to my ignore list due to their constant infatuation with the Pats (non-Pats topics even became Pats topics, it was creepy), only highlights further where you stand.

Loosen the tin foil hat and let the blood circulate :D

I've been on boards 11 years and I don't think I've ever added anyone to my ignore list. This forum would probably be the last one I use where I'd feel the need to do that also since the conversation is usually very friendly and light-hearted. Perhaps it's yourself with the problem and you should lighten up? Just a thought.

It's hilarious how one or two of your fellow fans have claimed in this thread that 'perhaps the Pats were in touch a little early, like some other teams probably were' but when I go a little further and suggest that maybe they were in touch very early on...I'm a conspiracy theorist :D

Jay Glazer and all those NFL execs around the league are conspiracy theorists as well I suppose. We're all a bunch of haters.

I've been on boards 11 years and I don't think I've ever added anyone to my ignore list. This forum would probably be the last one I use where I'd feel the need to do that also since the conversation is usually very friendly and light-hearted.
    Yet, that's how strong the infatuation is/was with that person. i.e. I don't have any intention of adding you. Seriously, it was really that creepy/weird.
    Perhaps it's yourself with the problem and you should lighten up? Just a thought.
    Honestly, I'm not upset over it. I've realised a while back that some people can't help themselves when it comes to the Pats; better to laugh at it/them than get in the least bit offended.
    It's hilarious how one or two of your fellow fans have claimed in this thread that 'perhaps the Pats were in touch a little early, like some other teams probably were' but when I go a little further and suggest that maybe they were in touch very early on...I'm a conspiracy theorist :D
    Ah come on. You went further than just that :) At least be honest.
    I've no idea if they did or didn't make early contact. Same for any other team.
    We're all a bunch of haters.
    No idea if you are or not. Genuinely. But if this was any other team, this wouldn't have boiled the blood of so many. You suggest lightening up, I'd suggest you take that advise yourself :p

• Advertisement

I've been on boards 11 years and I don't think I've ever added anyone to my ignore list. This forum would probably be the last one I use where I'd feel the need to do that also since the conversation is usually very friendly and light-hearted. Perhaps it's yourself with the problem and you should lighten up? Just a thought.

It's mad. An incredibly successful team but has the only fanbase on boards that has a group that can't take anything that isn't 100% positive about the team or you hate them.

Posters saying the exact same thing as was said about the Raiders trade suddenly becomes 'boiling blood', 'hate', and 'disgust' towards the Patriots.

From all the passive aggressive comments directed about me I'm starting to think someone fancies me. Clearly living rent free in their head when simply liking your post sets them off.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Glazer just said that pretty much every contact he has in the league thinks there was something shady behind the scenes with how things panned out with AB.

So Oat23 has got to Glazer already?

His hatred for the Pats really knows no bounds, networking with team owners to spread his conspiracy nonsense.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Another season another Patriots fans vs everyone else debate,tis surely tradition on boards at this stage.

In other news is there any truth to the tweets that loads of the dolphins players requested to be traded?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Do people believe that in an industry with so much money swirling around in it, and so many hands trying to grab a fistful at any one time, that so much would be left purely to chance and opportunity?

Just to be clear, I'm not saying that this has been AB's plan all the way back to last December, but do we think that teams honestly wait for player names to appear on the waiver wire before sounding out one of their agents either

• Registered Users Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭boccy23

Apparently OBJ played with a watch worth between $100 and $350K. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,892 ✭✭✭Christy42

PerrinV2 wrote: »
    Another season another Patriots fans vs everyone else debate,tis surely tradition on boards at this stage.

In other news is there any truth to the tweets that loads of the dolphins players requested to be traded?

If not there should be if any of the players have a desire to put their names forward.

The team seems to be going more obvious with tanking than any other team I have seen recently (even the Browns you got the impression the coaches were just inept).

There seems to be no desire to go anything but 0-16 this season. What was the stat given on redzone? 31 of 53 players on that roster were not on it last year.

Hopefully the first half of the eagles game yesterday was the starters having a feeling out period not having played in the preseason. The second half was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,385 ✭✭✭Shedite27

PerrinV2 wrote: »
    Not sure many of them would get a job anywhere else really. They're tanking, not sure they should be making it this obvious tho.

Trading away Tunsil is a definite tanking move.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,866 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Just on the AB thing. Can we all just agree to disagree rather than carry on with the conspiracy theory crap.

There might be some truth to it but we'll never know. Personally as a Patriots fan I don't know and as I explained earlier I fully believe that the Patriots are the most professional outfit so it wouldn't surprise me if they were ready to go the moment it was announced he would be cut.

That's just my opinion though. We are now in a situation on here where any Patriots fan defending their team is being accused of being too sensitive to any criticism. I can tell you what I'm seeing here is a lot of criticism and when that person gets responded to by a Pats fan they go down the route that the Pat's fan is sensitive when it appears to me if you read the post rationally there is nothing ott about their posts.

We need to move on, as I've said before we expect criticism and for the most part the normal reaction to it is to laugh and think haters gonna hate because this has been going on so long now.

If you think you are being reasonable suggesting that all that happened with AB was an evil master plan of Belichick then I think it's fair to say you are talking conspiracy theory stuff.

There is no chance we will ever know anything about it anyways so it's a pointless conversation.

And anyways we showed last night we don't even need AB. :D

eagle eye wrote: »
    And anyways we showed last night we don't even need AB. :D

Very true. They looked in post season form already, so barring an injury to Brady, it'll be seen as a massive failure not to make it to, if not win, another Super Bowl. I'm interested to see how they'll twist themselves into being some sort of underdogs though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭cosatron

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Very true. They looked in post season form already, so barring an injury to Brady, it'll be seen as a massive failure not to make it to, if not win, another Super Bowl. I'm interested to see how they'll twist themselves into being some sort of underdogs though.

in all fairness, it was one of the worst performances I ever seen from a steelers team, the secondary play was abysmal, no pass rush, tomlin having a mare and to top it all off, the penalty when the center didn't snap the ball was embarrassingly bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,856 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

cosatron wrote: »
    in all fairness, it was one of the worst performances I ever seen from a steelers team, the secondary play was abysmal, no pass rush, tomlin having a mare and to top it all off, the penalty when the center didn't snap the ball was embarrassingly bad.

Technically, he was the only one who didn't commit a penalty...so he's got that going for him.

cosatron wrote: »

Week 1 overreaction is real, but on paper the Patriots looked to have strengthened, even prior to the AB signing, and their division looks like its usual mess, so anyone who has to beat them will have to do it in Foxborough.

They've pretty much always been the AFC favourite since the markets opened so it isn't really an overreaction to say they have made their case that this was right

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Onecoolcookie

For any fans of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

https://twitter.com/JordanHeckFF/status/1170742539147710464?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭pedatron

https://twitter.com/JordanHeckFF/status/1170742539147710464?s=19

Absolutely superb! :D:D

is there any way we could compare Brown to a rum ham?

Wow mike silver is not a fan of Antonio brown at all. He doesn’t believe the New England patriots will get a different AB.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Wow mike silver is not a fan of Antonio brown at all. He doesn’t believe the New England patriots will get a different AB.

There are plenty of signs that he doesn't have the capacity to change.

Since he agreed a deal with the Patriots he has liked tweets that Mayock should be raped and another one abusing Big Ben and JuJu about their performances last night. Not what you'd call typical Patriot player behaviour. It'll be interesting to watch

• Advertisement

Another point on AB going to the pats. I think the raiders gave him too much leeway because they were desperate for some success. Ive never met bill Belichick but you don't have the success he's had if you take crap from players. I mean what happens the first time he messes up a route or does something wrong and gets chewed out by belichick ? Is he going to threaten to hit him and punt a football ? He is in his hole. He'd be out the gap in a split second.

Advertisement