Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

For any fans of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

https://twitter.com/JordanHeckFF/status/1170742539147710464?s=19

Alternative footage of AB finding out he's been released......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Another point on AB going to the pats. I think the raiders gave him too much leeway because they were desperate for some success. Ive never met bill Belichick but you don't have the success he's had if you take crap from players. I mean what happens the first time he messes up a route or does something wrong and gets chewed out by belichick ? Is he going to threaten to hit him and punt a football ? He is in his hole. He'd be out the gap in a split second.

There is no doubt his temperament is an interesting aspect. He used to regularly whinge about not getting targeted in Pittsburgh despite being the most targeted receiver in the league, remember him knocking over the water coolers on the sideline? He was obsessed about personal stats by all accounts and absolutely hated sharing the limelight but he better get used to it quick. Pats share targets around better than any team and Edelman is Brady’s go to guy. I can’t see that changing all that much. AB will be the icing on a SuperBowl ready roster rather than the star man now.

At the end of the day it’s a low risk high reward move because there is a chance he will behave himself and if he doesn’t he’ll be gone very quickly and they haven’t really given up anything for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

For any fans of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

https://twitter.com/JordanHeckFF/status/1170742539147710464?s=19

Of course, he also gets what he wants, because of the implication.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭madalig12

Surely they meant Sink rather than swim

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

The browns fan that fell of his van wasn't drunk, he's got epllespsy.

In a bad way in hospital according to the news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,931 ✭✭✭Christy42

Did Miles Jack get hit in the head? Didn't see a collision but when being dragged off the field for his outburst he could barely stand upright. I doubt he would have managed to get over and hit anyone had he been let go (I mean obviously they were right to drag him off for his and others safety).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,862 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Another point on AB going to the pats. I think the raiders gave him too much leeway because they were desperate for some success. Ive never met bill Belichick but you don't have the success he's had if you take crap from players. I mean what happens the first time he messes up a route or does something wrong and gets chewed out by belichick ? Is he going to threaten to hit him and punt a football ? He is in his hole. He'd be out the gap in a split second.

There is no doubt his temperament is an interesting aspect. He used to regularly whinge about not getting targeted in Pittsburgh despite being the most targeted receiver in the league, remember him knocking over the water coolers on the sideline? He was obsessed about personal stats by all accounts and absolutely hated sharing the limelight but he better get used to it quick. Pats share targets around better than any team and Edelman is Brady’s go to guy. I can’t see that changing all that much. AB will be the icing on a SuperBowl ready roster rather than the star man now.

At the end of the day it’s a low risk high reward move because there is a chance he will behave himself and if he doesn’t he’ll be gone very quickly and they haven’t really given up anything for him.
    Yeah and I don't really believe they somehow got him to play up the feckacting in order to get released in a grand conspiracy for two reasons: first he is clearly not the full shilling anyway, and second, he has lost a rake of money in doing this. A player as selfish as he is, as inclined to put himself above the team, doesn't sacrifice millions of dollars for a shot at a Superbowl.

But if there wasn't tampering long before his release I'll eat my "Bears to win the Superbowl" betting slip. Though to be fair nutritional value is that piece of paper's only value.

Yeah and I don't really believe they somehow got him to play up the feckacting in order to get released in a grand conspiracy for two reasons: first he is clearly not the full shilling anyway, and second, he has lost a rake of money in doing this. A player as selfish as he is, as inclined to put himself above the team, doesn't sacrifice millions of dollars for a shot at a Superbowl.

But if there wasn't tampering long before his release I'll eat my "Bears to win the Superbowl" betting slip. Though to be fair nutritional value is that piece of paper's only value.

To be fair nobody is suggesting the Pats or anybody else had a direct hand in his behaviour. As a Steelers fan I’m well aware of his instability but I also think he escalated and exaggerated his craziness to force his release, safe in the knowledge he had the landing spot he always wanted arranged through his agent. A stronger league would look in to the whole thing as his behaviour could surely be viewed as bringing the sport in to disrepute.

The only thing I accused the Pats of was tampering I.e. arranging or discussing future employment with a player while he is under contract with another team.

As for the money there is very little in it in the grand scheme and I think he is backing himself to have a big season and get another contract afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

It would be incredibly naive (selective naivety I imagine) to think there weren't around half a dozen teams in contact with Drew Rosenhaus at the same time as the Patriots.

Wouldn't even be a discussion point if it was the Titans or the Redskins who got his signature.

Listening to a podcast and they said Kyler Murray had 4 batted/tipped passes in his first NFL game; Kirk Cousins led the league last year with 17. Something to watch out for.

• Advertisement

It would be incredibly naive (selective naivety I imagine) to think Drew Rosenhaus wasn't in contact with around half a dozen teams at the same time as the Patriots.
    FYP :P
    Guaranteed money seems to have been a big factor in this. Big money hit to the Pats if they end having to cut him as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,959 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

So apparently John Gruden gave permission to use the phonecall in his video, that claim made by AB's producer.
    I wonder how many football players have producers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

eagle eye wrote: »
    So apparently John Gruden gave permission to use the phonecall in his video, that claim made by AB's producer.
    I wonder how many football players have producers?

Listen to hour 3 of the Dan LeBatard podcast from yesterday. They had the guy on and he explains quite well what happened and that he’s not a producer or media expert. The interview is quite funny and well worth a listen. It certainly clears up a few things that were being written.

Wouldn't even be a discussion point if it was the Titans or the Redskins who got his signature.
    It’d still be discussed, but not with the same level of anger. ATNFL podcast, and one guy was losing his mind that a team would sign Brown (far more disgusted than Hill at the Chiefs or Hunt to the Browns). It was funny listening to him have a meltdown :D

It’d still be discussed, but not with the same level of anger. ATNFL podcast, and one guy was losing his mind that a team would sign Brown (far more disgusted than Hill at the Chiefs or Hunt to the Browns). It was funny listening to him have a meltdown :D

It was also discussed plenty when he forced his way out of Pittsburgh long before the Pats were ever mentioned. It was virtually the only thing being discussed across NFL Network and CBS for about six weeks prior to that trade so the notion that nobody would be talking about it if the Pats weren’t involved simply isn't true.

The public way he went about it is pretty unprecedented and not a good look for the league to let him get away with it quite frankly. I also heard that ATNFL pod, can’t remember which guy it was but he was losing it altogether, it was hilarious.

The public way he went about it is pretty unprecedented and not a good look for the league to let him get away with it quite frankly.
    And while I’d have liked no team to pick him up, some team would have (I’d imagine a few tried). So a bit like Hunt/Hill, don’t leave it to the teams, KC rightly cuts Hunt, but another team signs him (so they kept Hill). The NFL needs to step in, and personally I wouldn’t have a problem with the league checking out what Brown did, and see if there’s action they could take (a benefit to all teams cause the Raiders situation could have happened to any team).
    I can’t remember someone going full-retard (Topic Thunder style) to force their way off a team like Brown did.
    I also heard that ATNFL pod, can’t remember which guy it was but he was losing it altogether, it was hilarious.
    I think it was Chris. It was the passion (in comparison to his reaction to the Hunt/Hill situations) that was so funny. At least Dan (Jets fans who constantly rips on the Pats) can poke at the Pats, but you laugh along with him :)

Just thinking my that if Mayock made an official complaint to the NFL about the incident that they might well suspend him. Partly because of that, partly because if the shenanigans and partly because he is now a Patriot. So three weeks.

And while I’d have liked no team to pick him up, some team would have (I’d imagine a few tried). So a bit like Hunt/Hill, don’t leave it to the teams, KC rightly cuts Hunt, but another team signs him (so they kept Hill). The NFL needs to step in, and personally I wouldn’t have a problem with the league checking out what Brown did, and see if there’s action they could take (a benefit to all teams cause the Raiders situation could have happened to any team).
    I can’t remember someone going full-retard (Topic Thunder style) to force their way off a team like Brown did.

I think it was Chris. It was the passion (in comparison to his reaction to the Hunt/Hill situations) that was so funny. At least Dan (Jets fans who constantly rips on the Pats) can poke at the Pats, but you laugh along with him :)

I listen to that pod every now and again but the in jokes and fake banter are starting to wear a bit thin at this stage. It can be very good sometimes though when they really dig in to topics like this.

There are players on every team with very questionable things in their past and if players do something wrong they get suspended usually, although it’s very hit and miss, Hill being a good example.
    Perhaps the league haven’t legislated for what Brown did but I expect there will be something in the next CBA to mitigate against this sort of thing happening again.

Very few would have the audacity to do what he did though, or the talent to make it worthwhile picking him up afterwards. If he is a good soldier for the season I think it’s confirmation that these public meltdowns were mostly or at least partly staged. There are rumours that he had a social media strategist on the payroll specifically to help maximise the PR damage and force his release. Crazy stuff if true.

Just thinking my that if Mayock made an official complaint to the NFL about the incident that they might well suspend him. Partly because of that, partly because if the shenanigans and partly because he is now a Patriot. So three weeks.
    Mayock and Belichick are good friends so that’s an interesting angle if they do lodge a tampering grievance.

I expect Mayock is simply happy to see the back of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭The real mccoy 91

It would be incredibly naive (selective naivety I imagine) to think there weren't around half a dozen teams in contact with Drew Rosenhaus at the same time as the Patriots.

This...

If you think that half the teams in the league weren't falling over themselves to try and sign him then your probably just bitter towards the pats. And once they came sniffing why wouldn't brown want to join them? Doesn't scream corruption or tampering or anything else just a professional job picking up on a good opportunity imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,931 ✭✭✭Christy42

This...

If you think that half the teams in the league weren't falling over themselves to try and sign him then your probably just bitter towards the pats. And once they came sniffing why wouldn't brown want to join them? Doesn't scream corruption or tampering or anything else just a professional job picking up on a good opportunity imo

I think part of the issue was the speed it was signed. Especially with Brown giving out about every little detail recently.

Also the Steelers avoided trading him to the Pats. They would have happily traded him to the Titans in the first place so it isn't the same situation in the slightest. Why would the Titans collude with Brown to get him to the Titans when they could have just jumped ahead of the Raiders and traded?

Having said that it does seem like water cooler talk till something else comes out. Just the counter argument here is describing a very different scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

The Raiders won't file a grievance here because they know full well that they likely tampered with AB during the trade from the Steelers, as was widely speculated in the media at the time despite how some here want to continue to ignore in order to play the 'haters' card.

Tampering goes on constantly in the league but few teams have the balls to cry grievance for fear their own dirty laundry would come out and they'd end up with a similar sanction.

Christy42 wrote: »
    Did Miles Jack get hit in the head? Didn't see a collision but when being dragged off the field for his outburst he could barely stand upright. I doubt he would have managed to get over and hit anyone had he been let go (I mean obviously they were right to drag him off for his and others safety).

No, he was just going for the 'I'm so distraught I can't walk' / 'I'm having a temper tantrum' look. Not exactly how you want your captain to look, either throwing a punch or making that kind of scene

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Christy42 wrote: »
    I think part of the issue was the speed it was signed. Especially with Brown giving out about every little detail recently.

Apparently under new rules Rosenhaus was able to discuss with new teams prior to the release going through.
    By the time the release was official they already had 4 or 5 hours worth of discussions with several suitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Chris Wesseling is, without exception, the single worst analyst on NFL.com that gets paid to give his opinion.

A pompous, arrogant, fool of a runt who is carried by the genuine likeability of his co-host but brings no redeeming factors to the table himself. As soon as he is pulled up on one of his many ridiculous opinions, resorts to a "watch the game tape" high-horse response.

He'll push a narrative for weeks and then drop it without mention as soon as it's apparent he's wrong.

BizzyC wrote: »
    Apparently under new rules Rosenhaus was able to discuss with new teams prior to the release going through.
    By the time the release was official they already had 4 or 5 hours worth of discussions with several suitors.

Link? Can't see anything online and I'm extremely skeptical that there is any truth to that. Coaches are extremely limited about what they can even say about a player in public when he is still contracted to another team, I can't imagine they can go and negotiate with their agent whenever they want.

Are you getting confused with the rules around changes to the tampering window in the offseason?

Chris Wesseling is, without exception, the single worst analyst on NFL.com that gets paid to give his opinion.

A pompous, arrogant, fool of a runt who is carried by the genuine likeability of his co-host but brings no redeeming factors to the table himself. As soon as he is pulled up on one of his many ridiculous opinions, resorts to a "watch the game tape" high-horse response.

He'll push a narrative for weeks and then drop it without mention as soon as it's apparent he's wrong.
    I wouldn't go as far as you have, his "locking it up" moment was really funny (maybe due to due to the reaction of his co-hosts). But I do hate the way he says stuff like "weeks through 8-11 he (insert player x) has played as well as anyone", as if a 3-4 week run is the way to judge a player.
    I like they way to cover all games, previews and reviews, just to keep in touch with all the games (along with other Podcasts and some game highlights). But I don't think of it as deep analysis, and with Dan as host, it has some great moments (even with the Throne of Sleaze stuff :)).

Mayock and Belichick are good friends so that’s an interesting angle if they do lodge a tampering grievance.
    I expect Mayock is simply happy to see the back of him.
    I never mentioned anything about tampering.

I never mentioned anything about tampering.

Fair enough. What else would he make an official complaint about?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Interview with the guy who filmed Antonio Brown's video with him talking to Gruden.

Advertisement