Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changes in the GAA - super thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Pogue eile wrote: »
    How in the name of god would he have a link to a detailed development plan even if such thing did exist? Do you honestly think that a County Board would make such a plan public??

Another feckin thread ruined by Dublin v the rest crap :rolleyes:

In fairness this thread is for the Dublin v the rest crap. Keeps it all in one place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

salmocab wrote: »
    In fairness this thread is for the Dublin v the rest crap. Keeps it all in one place.

Yeah, my bad. I hadnt actually read the opening post of the thread and assumed it was a thread for all chages in GAA be they huring or fotball, structures, rules, calender etc and just assumed it had been derailed like most others. But as you correctly point to the OP annoints this thread as the place for all that shi*e talk about Dublin V The Rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Farawayhome

How in the name of god would he have a link to a detailed development plan even if such thing did exist? Do you honestly think that a County Board would make such a plan public??

Of course it wouldn't be made public. Clutching at straws comes to mind.

By the way, anyone know whether this pilot scheme has been successful or not? 14 years now, how long more till they make a decision on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,194 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I am not the one making outlandish claims that properly costed, formulated and developed coaching plans to improve participation at junior level have been rejected by the GAA for lack of money.

I am just asking for some evidence, other than hearsay.

blanch152 wrote: »
    I am not the one making outlandish claims that properly costed, formulated and developed coaching plans to improve participation at junior level have been rejected by the GAA for lack of money.

I am just asking for some evidence, other than hearsay.

You were already shown one. Plenty others tried too. Dublin were the GAA's special project though. And their huge investment paid off but only short term. Massive crowds followed the increased success off the back of the investment by taxpayers and GAA members. If you give huge resources to one county with the biggest population, then, of course, they're going to push ahead. Now though, the crowds are dwindling, they still have to finance their structures but they are not getting a return.
    It's their own fault really. As I said, short term thinking. Now they're desperately trying things like the super 8's and forming an elite championship to make up the shortfall. Basically, they had a great product on their hands, a highly competitive championship where many teams were winning provincial and All Ireland's. They completely destroyed this. Unfortunately it will be hard to see a recovery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,282 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Farawayhome has put it very well

The general public can see this scam for what it is a mile away.

If this carries on (no reason to see any change), crowds will dwindle to a trickle and even the dubs fans won’t show up in numbers. Also general interest will fade even lower than it is.

Well done GAA!

My solution is split Dublin into 2 for a trial period

Reduce their funding to the average received by all other counties. No special sugar daddy deals for Dublin any longer.

Stop any back handers If found to be in operation.

The financial doping scandal that Dublin has been engaged in has sickened and disgusted the genuine GAA supporter.

The dubs themselves admit as much after a few pints “celebrating” the latest empty victory.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

So GDF will remain unchanged (Nothing has changed here), while increasing spend (now 2 sets of everything, including stadia), ie giving Dublin more money.

What I think you mean to propose is "Split the Dublin Senior Football Team Resources in two, because I want that".

I'm sure you can find someone, somewhere to take this proposal seriously, but alas, probably not here.

Farawayhome has put it very well

The general public can see this scam for what it is a mile away.

If this carries on (no reason to see any change), crowds will dwindle to a trickle and even the dubs fans won’t show up in numbers. Also general interest will fade even lower than it is.

Well done GAA!

My solution is split Dublin into 2 for a trial period

Reduce their funding to the average received by all other counties. No special sugar daddy deals for Dublin any longer.

Stop any back handers If found to be in operation.

The financial doping scandal that Dublin has been engaged in has sickened and disgusted the genuine GAA supporter.

The dubs themselves admit as much after a few pints “celebrating” the latest empty victory.

I think the proposals to kick counties out of the real championship has really woken people up to this. They are being punished for not having the resources to compete with the big guns. Of course, the GAA should be assisting these counties, providing them with resources. What have they done instead? Given the county with the biggest population and best facilities a huge lump of cash for the past 14 years. It's absolute madness.
    This money has transformed elite player development in Dublin. With their numbers, the amount of talent coming through is enough for 4 counties (more on that shortly). Then of course, when these players enter the senior set up, they again have unlimited resources to fund an incredible backroom team, full of professional coaches, nutritionists, lifestyle coaches etc.
    What needs to be done? Obviously, the 'weaker' counties need to band together to fight this. County boards are in an awkward position because standing up to Croke Park could see them punished. But it has to be done. Soon Dublin and other counties who have the money will breakaway and leave the rest of us to rot. If we don't act soon it'll all be over. It's time we stood up for ourselves. Split Dublin into 4, divide up resources fairly, have sponsorship centrally controlled, get our games back in line with the very ethos it was set up for.

Split Dublin in 4, that way only Dubs are not allowed represent their county.
    It will have the knock on effect of giving the other top teams better chances of winning the AI and leave the weaker counties as weaker counties. This I declare to be a well thought out plan.

Split Dublin in 4, that way only Dubs are not allowed represent their county.
    It will have the knock on effect of giving the other top teams better chances of winning the AI and leave the weaker counties as weaker counties. This I declare to be a well thought out plan.

Dublin is already split into 4. It's set up perfectly for this. It might take a little bit of adjustment but the 4 areas will be well supported and more players have opportunity to represent their area. Nothing but positives for Dublin and everywhere else. The whole reason for the injection of cash was to increase playing numbers, wasn't it?
    Other counties like Kerry and Mayo have attempted to tap into various markets to increase their spending power. They have done this in an effort to catch Dublin. This also needs to be looked at. We need a fair system. You can call it financial fair play if you like. Each county should get funding appropriate to them. No county should be out of line.
    I don't see how anyone can disagree with this? How can some counties receiving far more resources be justified?

• Advertisement

Dublin is already split into 4. It's set up perfectly for this. It might take a little bit of adjustment but the 4 areas will be well supported and more players have opportunity to represent their area. Nothing but positives for Dublin and everywhere else. The whole reason for the injection of cash was to increase playing numbers, wasn't it?
    Other counties like Kerry and Mayo have attempted to tap into various markets to increase their spending power. They have done this in an effort to catch Dublin. This also needs to be looked at. We need a fair system. You can call it financial fair play if you like. Each county should get funding appropriate to them. No county should be out of line.
    I don't see how anyone can disagree with this? How can some counties receiving far more resources be justified?

Dublin is not already spit in 4 that’s just councils nothing to do with sport. How you think there are nothing but positives for Dublin is beyond me. Kids grow up supporting and wanting to play for their county not their local council area. The support would be decimated along with sponsorship. 3 extra county boards to fund and a need for at least one new stadium. There are no positives for Dublin in this ridiculous plan only for the likes of Kerry, Mayo and Tyrone.

Dublin is not already spit in 4 that’s just councils nothing to do with sport. How you think there are nothing but positives for Dublin is beyond me. Kids grow up supporting and wanting to play for their county not their local council area. The support would be decimated along with sponsorship. 3 extra county boards to fund and a need for at least one new stadium. There are no positives for Dublin in this ridiculous plan only for the likes of Kerry, Mayo and Tyrone.

The boundaries are already set up. People are already used to these 4 areas. It's set up perfectly. With the huge numbers of kids in Dublin and with those numbers growing all the time, the only sensible decision is to split Dublin. It will give a huge number of kids access to inter county teams. This opportunity is not available right now. At every age level, Dublin have the numbers for 4 top quality teams.
    The split is going to happen, it's inevitable. And deep down those in charge of Dublin GAA new this day would come when they got into bed with Bertie. The alternative to splitting Dublin is the destruction of other counties. We can not tolerate that as it wasn't the other counties who brought professionalism into Gaelic Games. What we must do is stand together and resist all attempts to remove counties from the championship, we must fight against elite breakaways, this means removal of the super 8's.
    This is especially important in this time when the GAA has a Dublin president. Increasing the split between the rich and poor is his raison d'etre. If the poor are weakened further, they will have no voice. I don't think people realise how serious this situation is.

It’s not inevitable by any stretch of the imagination, Dublin county board will never agree to it and you seem happy to deny people of Dublin the chance to play for their county.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Nobody would be interested in four different GAA entities based in Dublin.

Anyway, the way this country is going, Dublin will be like north London or a Parisian banlieu in 20 years, so will be the least of our worries.

It would save alot of to-and-fro if people simply came straight out and said that the Dublin Senior Football Team needs to be split X number of times, because they are too good. It shows a distinct lack of spine that this desire needs to be dressed up as some kind of thinly veiled concern for the poor kiddies of Dublin who will never get to don the blue. They don't care much for the current holder of these Jerseys, and I doubt in the extreme they care for any future holders, but that's OK, just stop faking it.

That said, if the concern is genuine, then allow Dublin to field multiple teams in Provincial and National tournaments, at any grade that they can. I personally look forward to All Dublin Provincial Finals, and possibly two Dublin teams in the Super8s - but only as a novelty.

To those feigning bewilderment as why there would be resistance to Splitting a county, suggest to the Sligo and Leitrim County boards that they need to be scrapped and amalgamated as a first step to making them competitive. I'm sure that would be well received. Quid Pro Quo.

It’s not inevitable by any stretch of the imagination, Dublin county board will never agree to it and you seem happy to deny people of Dublin the chance to play for their county.

It's gone past the stage where we can give them a choice. That's why the Dublin president is so gung ho about removing counties from the championship now. They know it's a them or us situation. Either Dublin gets split, other counties get mangled or there's a breakaway. That's where we are heading.
    Dublin are making their move now, it's up to the rest of us to resist it and fight back.

Jaden wrote: »
    It would save alot of to-and-fro if people simply came straight out and said that the Dublin Senior Football Team needs to be split X number of times, because they are too good. It shows a distinct lack of spine that this desire needs to be dressed up as some kind of thinly veiled concern for the poor kiddies of Dublin who will never get to don the blue. They don't care much for the current holder of these Jerseys, and I doubt in the extreme they care for any future holders, but that's OK, just stop faking it.

That said, if the concern is genuine, then allow Dublin to field multiple teams in Provincial and National tournaments, at any grade that they can. I personally look forward to All Dublin Provincial Finals, and possibly two Dublin teams in the Super8s - but only as a novelty.

To those feigning bewilderment as why there would be resistance to Splitting a county, suggest to the Sligo and Leitrim County boards that they need to be scrapped and amalgamated as a first step to making them competitive. I'm sure that would be well received. Quid Pro Quo.

Well these are the options. Split Dublin or get your county mangled. It needs to be laid out bare.
    And it's not just Dublin senior footballers who have received the benefit of the injection of our cash. Every age group and code in both mens and womens GAA have benefitted from it.

Well these are the options. Split Dublin or get your county mangled. It needs to be laid out bare.

Why do you think this to be a binary choice, why, for example, not do both? Surely a meeting in the middle would be the fairest solution?

You seem to be trying your hardest to turn this into an Us V Them issue. The stance of "Get the before they get us", is well, disheartening.

Jaden wrote: »
    Why do you think this to be a binary choice, why, for example, not do both? Surely a meeting in the middle would be the fairest solution?

You seem to be trying your hardest to turn this into an Us V Them issue. The stance of "Get the before they get us", is well, disheartening.

It's not me that's making it a them v us. It's clear that the Dublin president is. He and others are trying to demote teams from the championship. This is step one. Where do you think this leads?
    And why talk about the fairest solution? Dublin have been receiving millions upon millions of euro from all of us for 14 years. Did anyone from Dublin talk about fairness then? No they did not. In fact, they doubled down when their finances were questioned.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Sure Limerick won the hurling last year and they are sponsored by JP McManus who is a multi millionaire so let’s split them as well, any team that wins more than two All Ireland’s in a row - nonsense suggestions and I agree with the poster who said it as it is - a thinly veiled idea that the Dublin senior football team be split in two!

Dublin v Dublin AI final - great idea :rolleyes:

A poster linked to a story about the Laois manager bemoaning the lack of resources for hurling - clearly a lot of the posters on here are very tuned in with the GAA, but no - we won’t bother mentioning one of the best initiatives the GAA has had in a long time, because we want to moan about Dublin GAA getting “all the money” - boohoo!

It is the same nonsense when any Irish team is successful - moaning and whinging and begrudging them -KK in the hurling,Kerry in the football, Cork in the ladies football (10 All Ireland’s in 11 years! - I can imagine the explosion on here if the Dubs manage that)

So for all the posters complaining about Dublin - I think at this stage it’s either give over or do something about it as ye keep going around in circles - get involved in your club and get a motion from your club to the next county AGM and if as many of you claim there is such an overwhelming desire the change it, the motion will pass and go to Congress to be debated. You can moan and whinge all you want being internet warriors to stop this “scourge” in the GAA or you can do something about it. You want change - that’s how you get it, not by whinging on an Internet forum.

• Advertisement

It's gone past the stage where we can give them a choice. That's why the Dublin president is so gung ho about removing counties from the championship now. They know it's a them or us situation. Either Dublin gets split, other counties get mangled or there's a breakaway. That's where we are heading.
    Dublin are making their move now, it's up to the rest of us to resist it and fight back.

Dublin are making their move now? Resist and fight back, I think there may be a movie in your struggles.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

It's not me that's making it a them v us. It's clear that the Dublin president is. He and others are trying to demote teams from the championship. This is step one. Where do you think this leads?
    And why talk about the solution? Dublin have been receiving millions upon millions of euro from all of us for 14 years. Did anyone from Dublin talk about fairness then? No they did not. In fact, they doubled down when their finances were questioned.

Link to that or stop posting false claims please

Sure Limerick won the hurling last year and they are sponsored by JP McManus who is a multi millionaire so let’s split them as well, any team that wins more than two All Ireland’s in a row - nonsense suggestions and I agree with the poster who said it as it is - a thinly veiled idea that the Dublin senior football team be split in two!

Dublin v Dublin AI final - great idea :rolleyes:

A poster linked to a story about the Laois manager bemoaning the lack of resources for hurling - clearly a lot of the posters on here are very tuned in with the GAA, but no - we won’t bother mentioning one of the best initiatives the GAA has had in a long time, because we want to moan about Dublin GAA getting “all the money” - boohoo!

It is the same nonsense when any Irish team is successful - moaning and whinging and begrudging them -KK in the hurling,Kerry in the football, Cork in the ladies football (10 All Ireland’s in 11 years! - I can imagine the explosion on here if the Dubs manage that)

So for all the posters complaining about Dublin - I think at this stage it’s either give over or do something about it as ye keep going around in circles - get involved in your club and get a motion from your club to the next county AGM and if as many of you claim there is such an overwhelming desire the change it, the motion will pass and go to Congress to be debated. You can moan and whinge all you want being internet warriors to stop this “scourge” in the GAA or you can do something about it. You want change - that’s how you get it, not by whinging on an Internet forum.

So were Limerick right to buy an All Ireland? Of course not! This is all wrong. It shouldn't be about how much money you have. What Dublin have done is buy success using all of our money. Even people who never set foot in a GAA stadium have paid for it. And it's not just the Dublin senior football team. Increased success across the board, proving it was the money at work.
    That Laois manager had the door slammed in his face. In the end, the GAA gave pittance to struggling hurling counties to be divided amongst them. Feed them scraped while Dublin were feasting like kings.

That's what I'm saying. It's time for action. Time to stand up to those destroying our games. If we don't do it now they will have removed half the counties from the championship for a start, form a breakaway and leave us to rot.

Dublin are making their move now? Resist and fight back, I think there may be a movie in your struggles.

They already made this movie

Link to that or stop posting false claims please

Google John Horan and tiered championship and you will get a long list of results. He's pushing it all over the place. Radio, newspapers, tv.

As I said. The days of discussion for this is over. We know Dublin have been financially doped since 2005, we know it has led to increased success across the board. This is not up for debate. It's what we should do now. We have to split them. This will benefit the children of our capitol and it will go along way to righting the wrongs af the past decade. Time to get our games back in shape.

As I said. The days of discussion for this is over. We know Dublin have been financially doped since 2005, we know it has led to increased success across the board. This is not up for debate. It's what we should do now. We have to split them. This will benefit the children of our capitol and it will go along way to righting the wrongs af the past decade. Time to get our games back in shape.

Thank god the kids of Dublin have you in their corner.

This will benefit the children of our capitol
    giphy.gif

It's almost funny at this point. Almost.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

After a lot of thought about this and I might change my mind again at a later stage, here's what I would propose for the football championship.

Round Robin Provincial Championships - Galway v Mayo is the highlight of many people's summers and is guaranteed a full stadium and big TV audience. This year we don't get that. That's hugely disappointing for most Mayo and Galway fans and many neutrals. It would be great if at least one game between them could be guaranteed annually in the championship. Round robin would suit Munster and Connacht. Local rivalries are the lifeblood of the GAA at all levels.
    Obviously you'd have to split up Ulster and Leinster, I would suggest going with groups related to levels, ie Tyrone, Donegal, Monaghan, Cavan and one other in group 1 with provincial final between top two teams. Same in Leinster, group 1 being Dublin, Kildare, Meath, etc.
    Winners of group 2 and 3 go into qualifiers. I'd do away with the Super8s and go back to one off quarter finals.

Finally, I'd suggest once the provincial championships are completed, provincial teams are then able to compete in the championship, ie Munster, Connacht, Ulster and Leinster, made up of the best players from teams who didn't progress from provincial championships.

It needs a bit of refinement, but the point of my suggestions is you have the best teams playing each other often and we can put an end once and for all to one sided demolition jobs in the provincial championships.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

I see DONTMATTER is back rolleyes.png

Advertisement