Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So Michael D IS running again!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

AGC wrote: »
    That is the case currently I thought?

The President does not wear any symbols or be seen to promote certain causes over another?

Like this?

SG202687_altPrez.JPG

And I know he's wearing the standard Irish symbol of the shamrock - but I do wonder are there guidelines about symbols etc

Noticibly Varadkar took to wearing a shamrock- Poppy pin to commemorate Irish people who died during the wars.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,911 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

eastwest wrote: »
    NI Riada's snide remark about freeman's relationship with the pyramid seller guy were nasty. She's not a nice person.

Freemans an idiot for opening herself up to such attacks by accepting the loan in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,135 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Hurrache wrote: »
    You're the one hung up on it and adding words into statements that were never there to change the meaning.

You're basically arguing against anyone who says they won't vote for someone based on a public stance.

No, what I am saying it ridiculous to set out trying to find someone whose 'private beliefs' chime with everyone in the country. That is silly and isn't going to happen.
    If you think he will advocate for hunting as President (I don't think that) then that is a good reason not to vote for him.
    If, like the 700,00 people who believe hunting is a neccesary part of managing the countryside he is has a private view, that really is none of our business. Just as the incumbent's private views aren't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Every American fortune is built on slavery and genocide if we go back far enough.

But his fortune is literally built on a pyramid scheme that is literally destroying millions of people's lives on the present and driving people to suicide.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭C__MC

Was there a election when mc aleese when for a 2nd term?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

C__MC wrote: »
    Was there a election when mc aleese when for a 2nd term?
    No. It's been traditional thus far that a president seeking election for a second term stands unopposed (why bother trying to oust them?).

This is the first time it's happened, mainly because four shysters and a political party have realised that they can squeeze some publicity out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

It is called synergy. You have obviously never studied business!!

I posted this in another forum, but it's relevant.

Joan playing the victim. "people are criticising me for taking money from a man I've known for 40 years, wah wah wah".

People are criticising her because she took 130,000 from a man who is one of the people at the head of a multinational pyramid scheme that is literally ruining millions of peoples lives, driving people to suicide, destroying families, marriages and relationships, and she runs a fecking charity which aims to support people who are suicidal or bereaved by suicide. It's pricks like him that will keep her opening more offices.

No. It's called a MLM scheme which is a pyramid scheme. The fact that Herbalife had to pay millions of dollars in legal costs when then tried to sue someone in the US for calling them a pyramid scheme and lost the case is proof of that. If you're stupid enough to call that "synergy" then you deserve your coming bankruptcy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,203 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

No, what I am saying it ridiculous to set out trying to find someone whose 'private beliefs' chime with everyone in the country. That is silly and isn't going to happen.
    If you think he will advocate for hunting as President (I don't think that) then that is a good reason not to vote for him.
    If, like the 700,00 people who believe hunting is a neccesary part of managing the countryside he is has a private view, that really is none of our business. Just as the incumbent's private views aren't.

Last time Franice as you're trying to drag me into one of your infamous circular arguments that everyone on threads like this are unfortunately all too familiar with by purposely not reading simple text.

My kids understand these points
    - his views are not private.
    - bizarrely you're the one who talked about advocating for hunting when president, not me.
    - bizarrely again you're the one talking about a president who's views which match everyone in Ireland, not me.

It's really yourself you need to debate these issues with.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Danzy wrote: »
    They aren't friends they have a job to do and pointing out stuff like that is part of that.

I don't believe anyone is suggesting that they are 'friends'. But at the job level of president with remarks like that which come across as scratchy are a poor indicator for the level of decorum required of the position imo. It's better to know that such information is already aired and leave it for the press to pick over. She'd be best to leave the mudslinging to the usual jocks imo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

seamus wrote: »
    No. It's been traditional thus far that a president seeking election for a second term stands unopposed (why bother trying to oust them?).

This is the first time it's happened, mainly because four shysters and a political party have realised that they can squeeze some publicity out of it.

Dev was challenged for his 2nd term

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭ouxbbkqtswdfaw

Why would anyone bother voting in this election?

Are you actually trying to defend a pyramid scheme?

VinLieger wrote: »

People who buy into pyramid schemes like Herbalife are often so invested in it they will lie to themselves about what it is even after they know the truth and will become the most ardent defenders of the scam in the hopes they can get out without losing their life savings and passing that burden to the next poor fool the ladder.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Try_harder wrote: »
    Dev was challenged for his 2nd term
    Missed that one!

VinLieger wrote: »
    The whole pyramid scheme nonsense , like the iona nonsense is an attempt to throw mud at the best candidate(possibly excepting Michael D). Who cares? Nobody cares.

The remark about synergy was a joke and not a subtle one either.

Last time Franice as you're trying to drag me into one of your infamous circular arguments that everyone on threads like this are unfortunately all too familiar with by purposely not reading simple text.

My kids understand these points
    - his views are not private.
    - bizarrely you're the one who talked about advocating for hunting when president, not me.
    - bizarrely again you're the one talking about a president who's views which match everyone in Ireland, not me.

It's really yourself you need to debate these issues with.

His view on hunting is public and it isn't what you think it is. Update yourself.

It was you who said that having these views means he 'shouldn't be within an asses roar of representing the people of Ireland's.' I.E. 'not fit' to any reasonable reader of the thread.

However much you want to back away from the position and try and personally attack me, you said it, be man or woman enough to own it.

Why would anyone bother voting in this election?

Freeman 1
    Higgins 2 shows that as a country we care about mental health.

My only reason not to vote that way is it might put one of the dragons in. The fear is that by not voting Michael D number 1 someone else might win it.

Feb was challenged but he didn't campaign and rte felt that it was inappropriate to cover the challengers campaign!!!

Freeman 1

My only reason not to vote that way is it might put one of the dragons in. The fear is that by not voting Michael D number 1 someone else might win it.

Im sure your vote with transfer quite quickly to Higgins, if even required

• Advertisement

Freeman 1

I thought we had already shown that we care by the massive support and success of Pieta House?
    Did she fail or fall short in that initiative?

The whole pyramid scheme nonsense , like the iona nonsense is an attempt to throw mud at the best candidate(possibly excepting Michael D). Who cares? Nobody cares.

The remark about synergy was a joke and not a subtle one either.

Its not nonsense, she is horrendously compromised by accepting a loan from such a person as des walsh and her absolute refusal to accept that is even more damning of her. She seemingly does not understand or has any knowledge of the business he was involved in and the quite simple evil practices they engage in to extort money out of people.

Giving her Seanad money to American Pieta House looked suspect

Gallagher very strong on Morning Ireland. Will have limited impact though. Huge miscalculation on last night, he will get beaten up over it by other candidates who have, I think, succeeded in making him look very arrogant and Higgins a bit remiss.

His view on hunting is public

No, it's a 'private view'.

Oh wait, what am I doing, I've been temporary sucking into the "FrancieBrady Method" vortex.
    It was you who said that having these views means he 'shouldn't be within an asses roar of representing the people of Ireland's.'

Yes, I did say that, and I never once denied saying it.

But somehow you extrapolated that I'm saying that we need a president who matches the views of everyone in the county. Do you apply the same logic to someone else when they say don't vote for each of the other candidates?

Nope, and you know why? Because you're making things up for the sake of argument. As evident by the first quote in this thread. You've been vehemently making the point since yesterday evening that his views are private, reiterating that point several times in the one post. And now you're saying his views are public? You don't know what you're at.

So based on his views and public stance on hunting, I'm out.

No, it's a 'private view'.

Oh wait, what am I doing, I've been temporary sucking into the "FrancieBrady Method" vortex.

More abuse, more attempts to pretend you said something different. Carry on H, carry on.

More abuse, more attempts to pretend you said something different. Carry on H, carry on.

What is wrong with you?
    shouldn't be within an asses roar of representing the people of Ireland's.
    Yes, I did say that, and I never once denied saying it.
    His view on hunting is public

If you genuinely believe he would advocate for hunting as President then by all means don't vote for him.
    I wouldn't vote for Freeman because I think she would advocate for her seriously weird religious views.

But saying they are 'unfit to represent the Irish people' because they have a private view on something is ridiculous. You won't find anyone in the country that has a set of views that somebody else somewhere doesn't feel is representative of them.

Yes, of course they will.
    But you will not find a candidate whose entire private views will fit with everyone else's. So you have to decide if they will keep them private or not. If they do, so what then? Are you saying that candidates have to hold the same views as you?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,403 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Freeman 1

The polls have Michael D on 70%.
    The competition is really only for 3rd place IMO.
    I have no idea why you would consider Joan Freeman the best candidate.
    While the fact she founded Pieta house is hugely impressive, I dont see anything that would suggest she would be a good president....plus Mattie McGrath is backing her...talk about the kiss of death!

I hadnt seen her talk much before but I doubt too many people would have been won over by her yesterday, in fact I thought she came off worse than some of the others (Duffy and Ni Riada).

Try_harder wrote: »
    Giving her Seanad money to American Pieta House looked suspect
    Nothing suspicious about it. Can you explain why (other than a desire to have Sean Gallagher be the second placed candidate) one would describe it as suspicious.

• Advertisement

Well I am not going to vote for Duffy as he won't clarify his links with Dennis O'Brien.

So far it is :
    Casey : Very mad and a bit bad could not do the job

Freeman : A bit mad but very very good could do the job

Ni Riada : Sinn Feiner (not for the Presidency thanks - happy to have them in government but AFTER a United Ireland) could do the job

Duffy & Gallagher : both could do the job especially Duffy but both are Tribunals of Inquiry waiting to happen

Michael D : a bit mad but good and not so mad that he cannot do the job at all. In fact most people seem to really like him.

Was Robinson challenged?

gmisk wrote: »
    The polls have Michael D on 70%.
    The competition is really only for 3rd place IMO.
    I have no idea why you would consider Joan Freeman the best candidate.
    While the fact she founded Pieta house is hugely impressive, I dont see anything that would suggest she would be a good president....plus Mattie McGrath is backing her...talk about the kiss of death!

I hadnt seen her talk much before but I doubt too many people would have been won over by her yesterday, in fact I thought she came off worse than some of the others (Duffy and Ni Riada).

Advertisement