Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 148th Open at Royal Portrush

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

me89 wrote: »

And just because someone doesn't win doesn't mean they have bottled it FFS.

Exactly this!!

It’s golf and it’s extremely tough. No one ever has a right to it and if they go under par they have done well.
    This talk of bottling it is a joke.
    Imagine calling Rose a bottler

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭sliabh 1956

I just saw the pairings for today they seem to vary a lot I thought they went out as how they were placed on the score board so how decides who partners who. I pressume on the final day the top 2 go off together and so on

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Scott Tenorman

Great day up there yesterday (one of the highlights being when I was selfie videoing tiger about to walk past me between the 2nd and 3rd holes and he veered off into the jax lol :) ).

Didn’t follow everyone but from what I did see nobody was striking the ball as well as Cameron Smith, I’m going for him to win.

Couldn’t rule out Koepka, didn’t play that well yesterday but constantly gave himself chances.

Exactly this!!

It’s golf and it’s extremely tough. No one ever has a right to it and if they go under par they have done well.
    This talk of bottling it us a joke.
    Imagine calling Rose a bottler

Its not every week obviously that a top golfer is in a position to win on Sunday. Shane is a fantastic golfer but historically has missed out on some good chances, including recently.

Some golfers are just better closers than others.

I hope he wins the thing but just because he's Irish shouldn't mean one is not allowed to make comments on his results.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,502 ✭✭✭Trampas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭techdiver

I just saw the pairings for today they seem to vary a lot I thought they went out as how they were placed on the score board so how decides who partners who. I pressume on the final day the top 2 go off together and so on

Yeah just looked. I thought the usual way for tied scores was filo (first in last out) but, for example someone like Paul Waring is out first on his own but was not the last person in on +1 so the R&A must do things differently for pairings?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,502 ✭✭✭Trampas

techdiver wrote: »
    Yeah just looked. I thought the usual way for tied scores was filo (first in last out) but, for example someone like Paul Waring is out first on his own but was not the last person in on +1 so the R&A must do things differently for pairings?

He was last person to finish yesterday who was +1

2021 is at st Andrew’s so I guess a few will stop then.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,799 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I'd say your man Gary McNeill is bricking it.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 37,866 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Fair play to Matt Wallace. Tom Watson's playoff with Cink should be brought up everytime no someone starts talking about past winners.
    Of course they went after Duval but no mention of Ernie Els or Cink who both made the cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭techdiver

Trampas wrote: »
    He was last person to finish yesterday who was +1

2021 is at st Andrew’s so I guess a few will stop then.

Ah, you're correct. I thought he had teed off earlier. Turns out I was looking at a US website in american time. So it's filo as normal then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

Bring something to eat. Food is brazenly expensive and really cr@p too. 3 chicken goujons and a half portion of chips are £11. And you can't escape to some other food stall either. Its all the same TheOpen branded food places.
    Bring a water bottle. They don't sell water but sell you empty drinking cans for £4.50 to use at their free water filling stations.
    Take note what number car park you're in. lol (figured it out but looked silly for a moment)

We brought packed breakfast, lunch and snacks and glad we did. Bought coffee and ice cream on the course. The £4.50 drinking vessel is pretty good. Its The Open branded with a rubber carrying ring - my son got it signed by Danny Willet. Decent bit of merch i thought and sold at the food stalls. The merchandise tent is crazy expensive. Programme £10 too but ya have to :)

Got a tip here to go the mound and back of the 6th and it was a great shout. You see the entirety of the par 3 and can have a good view of the 9th and 11th tees as well as the beautiful coastline.

Weather looks brilliant for today.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭PhuckHugh22

Seems to me that Spieth has been absolutely all over the ball park. If only there was some stats we could use to highlight this....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Had a great day up there today. Saw practically everyone of note at some stage. Weather was ok and in the afternoon when it rained it wasn't too bad and didn't last too long either. One day is enough, but really a great experience.

Seeing Tiger was great even in his golfing autumn. He's the man. Not a bad swing/game either for a physical wreck really. Call me weird but I'm really starting to like GMac.

If you haven't been yet and you're going at the weekend just a couple of practical tips.

Bring something to eat. Food is brazenly expensive and really cr@p too. 3 chicken goujons and a half portion of chips are £11. And you can't escape to some other food stall either. Its all the same TheOpen branded food places.
    Bring a water bottle. They don't sell water but sell you empty drinking cans for £4.50 to use at their free water filling stations.
    Take note what number car park you're in. lol (figured it out but looked silly for a moment)

Food really was crap compared to the Irish open, the Irish open wasn’t great but at least there was more variety I thought. Had a great day, I probably followed some groups for too long, and didn’t get to see some big names.

If I was to do it again I would do two days to take in the range and some of the free activities in the rented villages. Was hard to spend time in the tented village when there was always big names on the course.

Overall I loved it and am considering going to royal St. George’s next year now!

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭catrat12

Any big price players interest anyone today

Seems to me that Spieth has been absolutely all over the ball park. If only there was some stats we could use to highlight this....
    It's so like Seve in his pomp. I'd love to see him win it .

normally the PGA leaderboards show you where all the shots (1st shot hole 1, 2nd shot etc) were taken from on each hole for each player and you can quickly look back at this

e.g. go to Spieth here and click a hole
    https://www.pgatour.com/competition/2019/rbc-heritage/leaderboard.html

but for some reason the data isn't here for the open. I guess that they just aren't recording it like the PGA do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Adiaga 2 wrote: »
    We brought packed breakfast, lunch and snacks and glad we did. Bought coffee and ice cream on the course. The £4.50 drinking vessel is pretty good. Its The Open branded with a rubber carrying ring - my son got it signed by Danny Willet. Decent bit of merch i thought and sold at the food stalls. The merchandise tent is crazy expensive. Programme £10 too but ya have to :)

Got a tip here to go the mound and back of the 6th and it was a great shout. You see the entirety of the par 3 and can have a good view of the 9th and 11th tees as well as the beautiful coastline.

Weather looks brilliant for today.

Call it luck or we simply sussed it but that's where we spent quite some time. Mound behind the 6th green. Great view of the par 3 with having the players up close while putting and you simply turn around and watch them hitting it off the 9th. Very good spot indeed.

Agreed on that drinking can. Its a good idea to reduce plastic bottles and the can looks decent enough with a logo. Not the worst thing I ever bought.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Scott Tenorman

Call it luck or we simply sussed it but that's where we spent quite some time. Mound behind the 6th green. Great view of the par 3 with having the players up close while putting and you simply turn around and watch them hitting it off the 9th. Very good spot indeed.

Agreed on that drinking can. Its a good idea to reduce plastic bottles and the can looks decent enough with a logo. Not the worst thing I ever bought.

The drinking can isn’t bad value really, a bit small to be be useful daily though.
    The main rip off is in the shop where they are simply gouging people with the clothes prices!

• Subscribers Posts: 41,284 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

catrat12 wrote: »
    Any big price players interest anyone today

Tony F

• Registered Users Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

The food is pretty terrible also.. avoid the rubbery burger... fish and chips is the best of the bunch.

Don't forget to pop into the Hugo boss fitting rooms in the rectory in the town! ��

• Advertisement

Thought the food was good, 11 pound for burger and chip and the burger was solid. Pints at 5 pound weren't bad and the ques moved fast. Park and ride worked well. Got a photo with the claret jug! Wifi was awful. Found it impossible to find a map of the place, would have been handy guide to where everything is.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Thought the food was good, 11 pound for burger and chip and the burger was solid. Pints at 5 pound weren't bad and the ques moved fast. Park and ride worked well. Got a photo with the claret jug! Wifi was awful. Found it impossible to find a map of the place, would have been handy guide to where everything is.
    Either you got the good one or i got the bad one but mine was terrible and i bought it at lunchtime.
    There are free maps available in the display cabinets beside all the grandstands

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭PhuckHugh22

eagle eye wrote: »
    It's so like Seve in his pomp. I'd love to see him win it .

Would like to see it myself. But if he keeps playing the way he is he has absolutely no chance. These things catch up with you eventually

I know they're trying to get the Americans watching but 20.30 on a Saturday night is too late for the leaders to be finishing up.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

I know they're trying to get the Americans watching but 20.30 on a Saturday night is too late for the leaders to be finishing up.

It would normally finish at 7 in the UK, there is an extra hour of daylight here so why not use it?

Would like to see it myself. But if he keeps playing the way he is he has absolutely no chance. These things catch up with you eventually
    They use to say that about Seve you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,665 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Had a great day there yesterday, glad we brought our own food and water bottles, prices were unreal! Stayed at the 6th for a good while early and then followed Shane around and went back to watch at 13/17 for awhile before heading home, great spot as well to see most players. No queues or Traffic but imagine that will change today. Hopefully Lowry keeps it up, gave himself so many birdie chances yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭FrKurtFahrt

What were the commentators saying about Robert McIntyre there? I missed it, but a suggestion about a rule change?

What were the commentators saying about Robert McIntyre there? I missed it, but a suggestion about a rule change?
    Missed it myself but Bob had words with Kyle Stanley about not shouting fore after a wayward ball struck his caddie's mother. It might be something to do with changing the rules to penalise somebody who doesn't shout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Redo91

On the way up today from Galway for the final round tomorrow. We are staying in Portrush tonight and tomorrow night. I’m guessing it’s in Portrush we should be hanging around for the atmosphere? Any good recommendations for restaurants and bars? Heard a bit about the harbour bar.

Advertisement