Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2018 - Round 10 – Silverstone

Options
1131415161719»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Inviere wrote: »
    They're absolute wizardsAdrian is a wizard in that team. Imagine that car with a Ferrari or Mercedes power train, they'd be unstoppable.

FYP
    And as for Kimi!!
    Calm down, you will get over it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,623 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

meeeeh wrote: »
    It's nonsense to draw any conclusions from that list. According to that list Sutil and Di Grassi would also be better. Vettel is also a bit younger than Hamilton and at that stage age does matter.

I agree to an extent that comparisons to junior formulae will never be as accurate as relative performance in F1, and on that front Hamilton has the advantage.
    Proportional to actual race starts, Hamilton beats Vettel in every stat worth counting

Stat|Hamilton|Vettel
    Win %|30%|24%
    Podium %|57%|50%
    Pole Position %|35%|26%
    Fastest Lap %|17%|16%
    Average Points per race|12.72|12.48

The rest of the stuff people use to rate them is intangible. eg; opinion on mental fortitude, character and so on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭chicorytip

meeeeh wrote:
    While I do believe Kimi is in F1 only because he hasn't figured out what else to do, as Ferrari fan I would think employing Perez, Ocon, Sainz, KMag, Vandoorne would be a step down. Vandoorne for Christ sake, they are not desperate like McLaren. I could take Hulk because of his experience, Leclerc has potential and I am undecided about Gasly.

ELM327 wrote:
    Kimi is demonstrably better than any of the drivers listed. The only drivers better would be Ricciardo, Verstappen, possibly leclerc in future, and seb and loser lou lou.

Grosjean would make an excellent choice. In terms of ability and pace I would rank him by far the best of those driving for the mid ranking teams. His age and level of experience fit the typical Ferrari driver profile. He is erratic but would deliver better results than Raikkonen is currently doing. Leclerc to replace him at Haas.

chicorytip wrote: »
    Grosjean would make an excellent choice. In terms of ability and pace I would rank him by far the best of those driving for the mid ranking teams. His age and level of experience fit the typical Ferrari driver profile. He is erratic but would deliver better results than Raikkonen is currently doing. Leclerc to replace him at Haas.

:eek: 5 years ago maybe, now Grosjean would be a step backwards, he's more inconsistent than Kimi

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭Inviere

vectra wrote: »
    FYP
    And as for Kimi!!
    Calm down, you will get over it :pac:

Oh I got over Kimi a few years ago, probably like the rest of us, when we realized he wasn't the driver he used to be. As I said, he's 39, it's only natural to lose your edge at that age, when you're racing against younger drivers in their prime. I think Ferrari are eyeing up a replacement by the sounds of the rumour mill.
    skipper_G wrote: »
    :eek: 5 years ago maybe, now Grosjean would be a step backwards, he's more inconsistent than Kimi

I feel I'd agree, even up until last year I'd have mentioned Grosjean. This season has been an absolute 'mare for him though, I wonder if he's done for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I agree to an extent that comparisons to junior formulae will never be as accurate as relative performance in F1, and on that front Hamilton has the advantage.
    Proportional to actual race starts, Hamilton beats Vettel in every stat worth counting

Stat|Hamilton|Vettel
    Win %|30%|24%
    Podium %|57%|50%
    Pole Position %|35%|26%
    Fastest Lap %|17%|16%
    Average Points per race|12.72|12.48

The rest of the stuff people use to rate them is intangible. eg; opinion on mental fortitude, character and so on

According to those stats Alonso is absolute rubbish in comparison, Riccardo is way behind Vettel and so on. I actually still don't know who is better overall Hamilton, Alonso or Vettel. I don't overly like Hamilton and as a Ferrari fan I prefer Vettel in the team to Alonso in the team. Neither of them is a stand out driver of generation as Schumacher or Senna were.

But those stats can change in couple of years if Ferrari becomes dominant car.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

TCP/IP wrote: »
    Do you know what is great this motorsport forum has come alive again due to us all having a great season on our hands.
    The last four years have been terrible bar maybe 2016 when Nico pulled off the championship victory.
    I would be really interested to read about how Ferreri have caught up and by the looks of it surpassed the Mercedes power unit.
    Anybody got any interesting articles to read about how Ferreri have made this giant leap forward this year.
    We should be thankful we have a great championship this year I for one am.

Is there anything to suggest that? For all we know, Ferrari could just be sacrificing downforce for less drag.

Plenty of drivers who are more consistent from session to session would have more points than Kimi with that car. You could throw a rock down the pitlane and find a better number 2. I'd comfortably say Perez, Ocon, KMag, Hulk, Sainz, Leclerc. One could make a case for Gasly & Vandoorne but jury is still out for me

That is all hypothetical.
    You have absolutely zero evidence to back that statement up.

BikeRacer wrote: »
    It's his 5th year at Ferrari. In those 5 years the difference between him and his teammate is 427 points. And rising.

Err.. Aren't you getting carried away with yourself there a little bit.
    We are discussing this season..

Also lads.
    Has anyone taken into consideration that Kimi is currently running the older spec engine so is down on power etc that the others around him.!

I wonder what sort of excuse ye would come up with should Kimi actually win the wdc this season?

I know a lot of people take Villeneuve with a pinch of salt, but even he feels the judgement was unfair against Kimi.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/villeneuve-raikkonen-penalty-less-severe-if-he-hit-bottas-1058399/

That is all hypothetical.
    You have absolutely zero evidence to back that statement up.

:rolleyes: Of course it's hypothetical because we won't know until someone else is in the seat instead of Kimi. I merely expressed my opinion on the matter.
    I said it before and I will say it again.
    Vettel is a superior driver.
    Where's the evidence to show that Vettel is a superior driver ?
    The wife of a fella that is almost double the age of other drivers and he is whipping their asses :D
    Where's the evidence to show Kimi is whipping their asses ?

• Advertisement

Err.. Aren't you getting carried away with yourself there a little bit.
    We are discussing this season..

Also lads.
    Has anyone taken into consideration that Kimi is currently running the older spec engine so is down on power etc that the others around him.!

I wonder what sort of excuse ye would come up with should Kimi actually win the wdc this season?

I know a lot of people take Villeneuve with a pinch of salt, but even he feels the judgement was unfair against Kimi.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/villeneuve-raikkonen-penalty-less-severe-if-he-hit-bottas-1058399/

At least we can agree on the penalty being harsh, I thought 10 seconds was too harsh on Sunday and still do
    I still think a 10 second penalty for Kimi was harsh.

TCP/IP wrote: »
    I would be really interested to read about how Ferreri have caught up and by the looks of it surpassed the Mercedes power unit.
    Anybody got any interesting articles to read about how Ferreri have made this giant leap forward this year
    Is there anything to suggest that? For all we know, Ferrari could just be sacrificing downforce for less drag.

While it's not exactly official, detailed, or a very technical explanation,, Rosberg claims to have some insider info on it. Seems it's something to do with the MGU-H as far as I can infer from his comments:

https://streamable.com/vh89e

Kimi himself said he deserved what he got.

While it's not exactly official, detailed, or a very technical explanation,, Rosberg claims to have some insider info on it. Seems it's something to do with the MGU-H as far as I can infer from his comments:

https://streamable.com/vh89e

Kimi himself said he deserved what he got.

Kimi said he deserved a penalty.
    But never mind Villeneuve, ( and others) Sure what would he know? He is only an Ex Formula one champion.
    It would be best leave to your expert opinion.

Kimi said he deserved a penalty.

Autosport - When asked in parc ferme after the race if the penalty was fair, Raikkonen said: "Yeah it was my mistake. That's fine."

Interesting, he seems to suggest it was a fair penalty, no?
    But never mind Villeneuve, ( and others) Sure what would he know? He is only an Ex Formula one champion.
    It would be best leave to your expert opinion.

I'm far from an expert. When Kimi himself said it was fair, it kinda negates whatever anyone else says.

Autosport - When asked in parc ferme after the race if the penalty was fair, Raikkonen said: "Yeah it was my mistake. That's fine."

Interesting, he seems to suggest it was a fair penalty, no?

I'm far from an expert. When Kimi himself said it was fair, it kinda negates whatever anyone else says.

Kimi accepted a penalty.
    He also accepted it was fair he got a penalty.

He also accepted it was fair

Thank you :D

Thank you :D

:P

Advertisement