Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2018 - Round 10 – Silverstone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭Inviere

vectra wrote: »
    Maybe if he manned up and acted like he should then I would call him by his proper name, but as for his current carry on? Not a hope.

It makes you look silly, that's all. You're not getting your points across in a mature, objective way...it looks like a child saying "nah nah na nah nah." I'm all for a debate on the objective facts, but this level stuff belongs in a school yard.

Anyway...

76lr2bmezv811.jpg

Not that it's a case of "all is forgiven", it's still "dumb shit to say", as he himself says, but it shoes he has a hard time cooling down, it would seem to take him a lot longer than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I'm anything but a Hamilton fan but those nicknames are childish and stupid. Anyway I'm quite happy with the result and not sorry at all that Kimi made a mistake. Hamilton was due a bit of bad luck considering Max tends to cause a lot more damage to Ferrari with his actions than to Mercedes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

It's amazing how when vettel was being called names during his glory years it was shut down pretty quick. Doesn't seem to be the case with Hamilton though. Just an observation.

meeeeh wrote: »
    Hamilton was due a bit of bad luck

True, the DNF in the previous race was only a minor bit of bad luck. Seb is the only driver now running to have completed every lap this year...I have a feeling it's his year.

It's amazing how when vettel was being called names during his glory years it was shut down pretty quick. Doesn't seem to be the case with Hamilton though. Just an observation.

I think the ability to call any driver a "cunt" is just a very bad idea in a discussion forum. I'd be all for opinions of every angle, but blatant driver bashing is very off putting in terms of participation in a discussion. Who would want to get involved in schoolyard-level arguing?It's why the Soccer forum has a rule against player bashing, it just causes more trouble than anything, reduces the quality of conversation, and the more mature people don't tend to get involved in the thread leaving those who would cause the trouble free to reign over things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,672 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

OSI wrote: »
    It's amazing, fans seem to think F1 drivers have gone soft over the years, but Hamilton makes a few off the cuff and the world goes nuts. Maybe he should have chased Kimi back to the garage needing to be held back so he doesn't take a swing a la Schumacher? Or pin him to a wall like Mansell? Could have gone back to his trailer and decked him like Senna did to Irvine maybe? Nah, words are really the worst thing he could of done.
    See, all of that I could respect him for.
    It's this bitchy adolescent sulking primadonna crap that I cant stand

ELM327 wrote: »
    It's this bitchy adolescent sulking primadonna crap that I cant stand

Even his fans would agree with that

Inviere wrote: »
    True, the DNF in the previous race was only a minor bit of bad luck. Seb is the only driver now running to have completed every lap this year...I have a feeling it's his year.

What I meant is bad luck from tangles with other drivers. Hamilton was twice victim of sleepy Merc strategy during VSC, his season is no way perfect. It's just seems that even when Red Bulls decide to crash into each other they affect Ferrari. :D

OSI wrote: »
    It's amazing, fans seem to think F1 drivers have gone soft over the years, but Hamilton makes a few off the cuff and the world goes nuts. Maybe he should have chased Kimi back to the garage needing to be held back so he doesn't take a swing a la Schumacher? Or pin him to a wall like Mansell? Could have gone back to his trailer and decked him like Senna did to Irvine maybe? Nah, words are really the worst thing he could of done.

But that's it, Hamilton is very theatrical about it. He finished second in a race where win was not guaranteed due to pace Ferrari found. It wouldn't be easy getting past Vettel anyway since he messed up his start. He worked himself up because of mess previous race was, it was his home gp and England got into semis. I had the impression that he decided before the race that anything but win would be almost catastrophe and huge let down. It's a bit of overreaction, Seb is only 8 points ahead and Hamilton is probably still in fractionally faster car. He is rattled a lot this season despite being in very good position and acting like a primadona a lot. The fighting decades ago was at least entertaining this is more self indulgent.

meeeeh wrote: »
    But that's it, Hamilton is very theatrical about it. He finished second in a race where win was not guaranteed due to pace Ferrari found. It wouldn't be easy getting past Vettel anyway since he messed up his start. He worked himself up because of mess previous race was, it was his home gp and England got into semis. I had the impression that he decided before the race that anything but win would be almost catastrophe and huge let down. It's a bit of overreaction, Seb is only 8 points ahead and Hamilton is probably still in fractionally faster car. He is rattled a lot this season despite being in very good position and acting like a primadona a lot. The fighting decades ago was at least entertaining this is more self indulgent.

^^ See kids? It's possible to post critically of a driver without coming across as a child :D

I'd agree with the above. The part I'm not 100% convinced of yet is that he's "rattled". I think for him, the fact there's now an inter-team battle will give any success he has more meaning than it would have without it. It's one thing beating your teammate, but for a champion, the real measure is beating another team. Time will tell, but half of me feels that yes, he's very tough to please, that he's definitely more up for a fight with Vettel than he would have been with Bottas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Hamilton has taken an absolute caning on social media for his post race comments and conduct. A part of it in s understandable due to it happening in the heat of battle.

What's less forgiveable are the comments of senior people in his team who also made insulations that yesterday's events were somehow premeditated. That is unacceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭vectra

It makes you look silly, that's all. You're not getting your points across in a mature, objective way...it looks like a child saying "nah nah na nah nah." I'm all for a debate on the objective facts, but this level stuff belongs in a school yard.

Silly???
    Immature??
    Objective??

is this the same driver we are discussing about?

Last year Hamilton complained he can't see his fans enough and spend time with them.

Last year there was a drivers event the Thursday before Silverstone in London.

Every driver and team attended. Except Hamilton... Who decided he wanted to take his private jet to Greece for a holiday...

He deserves nothing only a good slating.
    Vettel through his own fault ended up at the back of the grid a week previous and never moaned once only got his head down and drove the wheels off the car.
    Never even had his team swap position with Kimi.
    Again this had to be done yesyerday to suit him

In my view Hamilton is a glory boy ( In it for the big image )

Silly???
    Immature??
    Objective??

is this the same driver we are discussing about?

Well, no. I'm talking about childish driver bashing.
    He deserves nothing only a good slating.

Criticism is fine, Hamilton often brings it on himself. There's a way to do it though, and a way not to.
    Vettel through his own fault ended up at the back of the grid a week previous and never moaned once only got his head down and drove the wheels off the car.

I think Vettel drove very well, not unlike Lewis yesterday. That said, I've never seen Hamilton intentionally crash his car into someone who annoyed him, unlike Seb. Seb can be very hotheaded given the right circumstances too, lest we forget.
    Never even had his team swap position with Kimi.
    Again this had to be done yesyerday to suit him

I was impressed with Ferrari for that. There's no knowledge that there was a team order for Bottas to allow Hamilton past yesterday though. All we do know, is that Lewis was on much fresher tires. Bottas went from 1st to 4th because his tires were cooked, team order or not, Lewis was getting past, and rightly so.
    In my view Hamilton is a glory boy ( In it for the big image )

That's your view, and you're entitled to it. The petty name calling and bashing, as opposed to objective criticism is what bothers me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Take the blinkers off vectra. Vettel has been guilty of a lot of the same stuff and worse on the track. You just don't like Hamilton celebrity lifestyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,481 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

A43D2XZ4PBBVBB3QJDIMMZFCVQ.jpg

Kimi's wife, lol

Kimi's wife, lol

There won't be any calls of sexism in this case anyway, if Webber said "cry like a girl" we'd all know about it :D Kimi is a major whiner on the radio to boot! All said & done though, Lewis has made a right arse out of himself over all of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,630 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Just like Webber's comments, Kimi's wife's comments are not on, regardless of Hamilton's gender. In my view there should be no comparison on gender, just comparison on ability.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

I think Vettel's right keeping his partner and kids completely away from the circus. It's a petty and unnecessary comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭christy c

Even though I've been guilty of it in the past on numerous occasions, is there any chance we could leave the long winded discussions about off track personalities to Hello magazine or something else?

We have an extremely close championship on our hands and I think that should be enough to keep us entertained

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Hey Vectra, looks like you weren't the only one laying false claims to his name!

“Thank you for loving me for being me with all my flaws. I know I’m not perfect. Accepting who you are and loving yourself are so important. Go be great today and be you and give zero f**ks to what anybody thinks. #TeamLH”

“Kimi said sorry and I accept it and we move on. It was a racing incdient and nothing more. Sometimes we say dumb s**t and we learn from it.”

“I’m so disappointed in myself after yesterday’s race when I left you all with the perception of a sore loser as I honestly don’t feel I am and worst most of all, allowed you many the opportunity to s**t on me, lay false claims to my name of which my family and I have worked so hard for. But you know what, it’s OK. I can accept that I deserve it mostly and will try to do better and be better. #StillIRise”

• Advertisement

He's slept on his comments, woke up & realised how stupid they made him look. Holds his hands up, & professes to learn and do better. While I very much doubt it's the last time Lewis will bring the hate on himself, it might just dissuade him from doing it any time soon.

End of story for me, I look forward to Hockenheim! Still think Vettel gets the job done this year.

recyclebin wrote: »
    Take the blinkers off vectra. Vettel has been guilty of a lot of the same stuff and worse on the track. You just don't like Hamilton celebrity lifestyle.

No blinkers
    Hamiltons celeb lifestyle doesn't bother me in the least.
    He just needs to cop the fcuk on with his "god given right" attitude.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Do you know what is great this motorsport forum has come alive again due to us all having a great season on our hands.
    The last four years have been terrible bar maybe 2016 when Nico pulled off the championship victory.
    I would be really interested to read about how Ferreri have caught up and by the looks of it surpassed the Mercedes power unit.
    Anybody got any interesting articles to read about how Ferreri have made this giant leap forward this year.
    We should be thankful we have a great championship this year I for one am.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭Harika

TCP/IP wrote: »
    Do you know what is great this motorsport forum has come alive again due to us all having a great season on our hands.
    The last four years have been terrible bar maybe 2016 when Nico pulled off the championship victory.
    I would be really interested to read about how Ferreri have caught up and by the looks of it surpassed the Mercedes power unit.
    Anybody got any interesting articles to read about how Ferreri have made this giant leap forward this year.
    We should be thankful we have a great championship this year I for one am.

If you pay Autosport.com has great insight articles, else if you look through twitter feeds of reporters you might find info too
    e.g:
    https://twitter.com/theWPTformula
    https://twitter.com/SomersF1

He's slept on his comments, woke up & realised how stupid they made him look. Holds his hands up, & professes to learn and do better. While I very much doubt it's the last time Lewis will bring the hate on himself, it might just dissuade him from doing it any time soon.

Don't worry,
    He simply cannot accept not having a win handed to him on a plate.
    I actually *thought* I began to like him last year as he seemed much more pleasant.
    But you know what?
    It has struck me the reason for that was his biggest challenger had retired the previous season end and made life so easy for him.
    He is back to his usual self this season, so I can only imagine you will see plenty more of the real Hamilton this as the year progresses.
    Even Schumacher smiled when he might only come second.

End of story for me, I look forward to Hockenheim! Still think Vettel gets the job done this year.

I said it before and I will say it again.
    Vettel is a superior driver.

Vettel is a superior driver.

Hmm, not sure I'd agree. I feel there's very little between them, and I feel Seb can be more consistent, I just feel Lewis has the tiniest edge. Imagine having them in the same team...

300px-Team_Singapore_fireworks_display_from_Singapore_Fireworks_Festival_2006.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 21,672 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Lewis has never won in an inferior car though.
    I'd have Seb, Ricciardo, Alonso, and arguably Verstappen above Lewis in terms of driving ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭BikeRacer

Kimi's wife, lol

The wife of a fella clinging onto his seat with his fingernails to a fella fighting for his 5th world championship :rolleyes:

ELM327 wrote: »
    Lewis has never won in an inferior car though.
    I'd have Seb, Ricciardo, Alonso, and arguably Verstappen above Lewis in terms of driving ability.

Are you saying the 2013 Mercedes was the most dominant car on the grid?
    Are you saying the 2012 McLaren was the most dominant car on the grid?
    Are you saying the 2011 McLaren was the most dominant car on the grid?
    Are you saying the 2010 McLaren was the most dominant car on the grid?
    Are you saying the 2009 McLaren was the most dominant car on the grid?

Or are you forgetting there's often context to every win ;)

Lewis has absolutely won races in an inferior car, every bit the same as the drivers you mention above.

• Advertisement

BikeRacer wrote: »
    The wife of a fella clinging onto his seat with his fingernails to a fella fighting for his 5th world championship :rolleyes:

The wife of a fella that is almost double the age of other drivers and he is whipping their asses :D

Advertisement