Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 226: Miocic v Cormier & Holloway vs Ortega

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Ortega via KO/TKO
    I'm a bit disappointed with DC.

He constantly (and rightly, may I add) criticises Jon Jones for being a drug cheat, yet as soon as the Brock match-up arises he's all over it.

I'm sick of drug cheats getting a few months off and then straight back into the mix for title shots and huge pay days.

I really wish someone like DC would take a stand and say "I've been through all this with Jon. Brock is a cheat and doesn't deserve to share an octagon with me."

Money talks I suppose. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

What's that in fractions? Can't find betting odds on it.

Roughly 1/2 DC

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭kubjones

Paully D wrote: »

He constantly (and rightly, may I add) criticises Jon Jones for being a drug cheat, yet as soon as the Brock match-up arises he's all over it.

I'm sick of drug cheats getting a few months off and then straight back into the mix for title shots and huge pay days.

I really wish someone like DC would take a stand and say "I've been through all this with Jon. Brock is a cheat and doesn't deserve to share an octagon with me."

Kind of in two minds about this.

One one half, Brock should definitely be more penalized for popping.

On the other hand, WHAT A FIGHT!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,885 ✭✭✭cletus

The list of athletes who have tested positive for banned substances is long. Should they all be banned from the sport for life? What is an acceptable punishment?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,530 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

DC will make a couple of million from it. Can't deny his family their retirement fund!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Holloway via KO/TKO
    He'll best Brock, best Gus and then retire a wealthy man and one of the best to ever do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,530 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Ortega via Decision
    I think DC still beats a roided up Brock, makes a few mil and rides off into the sunset and deservedly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Ortega via KO/TKO
    One of the questions in the post-fighter presser pointed out DC's hypocritical stance on drug cheats and he pretty much admitted its because he's in a more advantageous situation now and that he genuinely dislikes Jones so would naturally give him more of a hard time. It is selfish but can you really blame him. He also said before that its likely most fighters he has fought over his career have been on PED's so it seems to be more of a Jon Jones gripe than an issue with drug cheats.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Holloway via KO/TKO
    Well who cares if the guys you beat were on drugs, it's the ones you lost to that matter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I think DC still beats a roided up Brock, makes a few mil and rides off into the sunset and deservedly so.

I can't see a 40 year old DC shedding 40lbs to go back to lhw. I reckon he calls it a day after lesnar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,101 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

What's that in fractions? Can't find betting odds on it.
    Roughly 1/2 DC
    1/2 Would be -200
    -145 is just over 2/3

Literally it's 100/145, that what the - means. Easy to work out when you think of it like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,101 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I completely agree with the sentiment. However, it's all well and good for us take a moral stand on the internet. But, this is DC's retirement plan. He knows he only has 2 or 3 fights left in him. Very hard to turn down the $4m for a fight he can win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

Mellor wrote: »
    I completely agree with the sentiment. However, it's all well and good for us take a moral stand on the internet. But, this is DC's retirement plan. He knows he only has 2 or 3 fights left in him. Very hard to turn down the $4m for a fight he can win.

Thats true also, but I think if you are actually committed to the cleaning up of the sport, you can't take the stance of 'drugs cheats don't deserve a platform....unless they can make me a truckload of money and are still probably not good enough to beat me'.

Yes, at the end of the day cormier is the only person who has to step into the ring with the drugs cheat....but he's not the only athlete effected by it, what sort of message does is send to the countless other fighters looking on and seeing an inactive drugs cheat rewarded with an undeserved title shot?

DC was more than happy to take the moral high ground and declare Jones a full-on drugs cheat when his situation was a lot more complicated than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Stipe via Submission
    Surprised the amount of people who are almost sure DC beats Brock.. He is a giant and probably the best wrestler DC will have fought in MMA? I'm like everyone I suppose, sickens me to see the chest practically get away with it but I can't wait to see the fight.

Hopefully Jones fights Gus in the meantime

• Registered Users Posts: 20,561 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Ortega via KO/TKO
    Surprised the amount of people who are almost sure DC beats Brock.. He is a giant and probably the best wrestler DC will have fought in MMA? I'm like everyone I suppose, sickens me to see the chest practically get away with it but I can't wait to see the fight.

The only hope Brock has in any fight against a top heavy weight is to hold his opponent down and smash him, There is no way he gets DC down and holds him there , There for there is no way he wins ,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

DC trains a lot with Cain, who slapped Brock around.
    DC also has a much better tank and is massively tougher than Brock, he shouldn't have much on an issue making him his bitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭kubjones

DC is better than Brock in every way other than physically, and that won't be enough to save him.

Holloway via KO/TKO
    DC will puck Brock around the place. Finish in the first. Brock to turtle up after getting a f w slaps like the coward he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,561 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Ortega via KO/TKO
    I wonder has Brock trained at all in any aspect of  MMA since his last fight ?

DC will puck Brock around the place. Finish in the first. Brock to turtle up after getting a f w slaps like the coward he is.
    Brock dislikes getting punched in the face.
    DC will punch him repeatedly in the face
    Brock will say "**** this" and turtle like a bitch.

DC by pucking in round 1.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Tazzimus wrote: »

I remember people saying similar about Brock when he was fighting Mark Hunt.

Holloway via KO/TKO

The fight where he got a few slaps and then panic wrestled and lay on top of Hunt doing almost no damage for the rest of the fight?

He won't get DC down, and if he does he won't keep him down.

Hunto has probably the worst wrestling background in the UFC, the man's a legend but his kryptonite has always been big wrestlers who are afraid of a slap.

DC is a slightly better wrestler than Hunto.
    It won't be a good night for Brock, bar the pay cheque.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Hindsight is 20:20 vision and all that. At the time, a lot of people thought Hunt was gonna win that fight by an early KO and that it would be an easy win for Hunt.

Stipe via Submission
    Yep the same as posters now said the same things "Brock doesn't like getting punched Hunt will hit him and he will turtle"

No one likes getting punched in the face btw.

Holloway via KO/TKO
    Nobody likes getting punched in the face, but never had anMMA heavyweight been more afraid of it than Lesner.
    There's not a single area where Lesner has the beating of DC.

The is a better wrestler, DC is a better striker, and DC doesn't fall apart after a few slaps.
    It'll be like the Cain fight all over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Tazzimus wrote: »

DC will not like been taken to suplex city
    the beast incarnate submission by suplex round 1 !

• Registered Users Posts: 12,530 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Lesnars a funny one. A very boring fighter but people cream themselves whenever hes mentioned or fighting. Huge box office draw.

Stipe via Submission
    If big IF Lesnar gets on top of DC I can't see him getting up no matter how good wrestler he is, Brock is just too big an heavey. DC is a small heavey. I do agree DC is better in every department but size is huge in wrestling

• Advertisement

Holloway via KO/TKO
    If big IF Lesnar gets on top of DC I can't see him getting up no matter how good wrestler he is, Brock is just too big an heavey. DC is a small heavey. I do agree DC is better in every department but size is huge in wrestling

Cain found it pretty easy to get up, he's only 2 inches taller and weighs about the same as DC.

Advertisement