Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 226: Miocic v Cormier & Holloway vs Ortega

Options
  • 04-07-2018 9:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭

26abaeca620f2d94f292794da8a811c3.png

Date: Saturday 7th July
    Times: Fight Pass Prelims (11:30pm, Fight Pass), Prelims (1am, Fight Pass and BT Sport), Main Card (3am, BT Sport)
    Venue: T-Mobile Arena, Vegas
    Odds: Miocic (4/9) v Cormier (11/5), Holloway (8/11) vs Ortega (23/17)

Who Will Win The Main and Co-Main Events (Please Select Two Options Only) 76 votes

Stipe via KO/TKO
    0%
    Stipe via Submission
    27%
    Legend_DITxtal191hawaii501Exclamation Marcyourdeadwrightricerotommyboy26gizabeerSenor FrogSpudman_20000ASOTPaully DtinpibLaHaineWrongway1985jousting with chairsPorthallianaj89InviereUltimate Seduction 21 votes
    Stipe via Decision
    0%
    DC via KO/TKO
    13%
    [Deleted User]Zero-CoolUseful.IdiotThe Floyd pmartyos121LionbackerGamb!tLetsdoitTitzon Toastal87987 10 votes
    DC via Submission
    2%
    slicus ricussrfc d16 2 votes
    DC via Decision
    2%
    shocksy0byme75341jo28 2 votes
    Holloway via KO/TKO
    11%
    Magown3ChrisMFromvertsmilerfriffmongousJohn_D80adcakes[Deleted User]Subcomandante Marcos 9 votes
    Holloway via Submission
    5%
    slicus ricussmilerftommyboy26jousting with chairs 4 votes
    Holloway via Decision
    2%
    aj89Inviere 2 votes
    Ortega via KO/TKO
    14%
    Legend_DITyourdeadwrightUseful.IdiotPaully DJohn_D80Gamb!tWrongway19850byme75341jo28Porthallianal87987Sprinter Sacre 11 votes
    Ortega via Submission
    6%
    [Deleted User]Exclamation MarcshocksytinpibLetsdoit 5 votes
    Ortega via Decision
    13%
    xtal191Zero-CoolricerogizabeerSenor FrogASOTsrfc d16LaHaineLionbacker[Deleted User] 10 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,483 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Ortega via Decision
    Such a great card. Holloway Ortega is gonna be so interesting as will be Stipe DC. Cannot wait for this.

I've went with Ortega by sub, I think he'll get a snakey one, 5 rounds is very long. I went with Stipe by decision as well, DC is the toughest bastard on the roster, can't see him being finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,523 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Ortega via KO/TKO
    Holloway by Decision
    Stipe by KO

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭xtal191

Ortega via Decision
    Stipe ko
    Ortega sub

Cant wait for this card

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Ortega via KO/TKO
    Stipe decision
    Max decision

• Registered Users Posts: 3,934 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

That is an absolute belter of a card.

Stipe by decision, don't know if he can KO DC, mans tough as balls.
    Ortega by sub, so close this one.

Ngannou/Lewis double KO via exhaustion, round 2.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Ortega via Decision
    Stipe ko and T-city by sub.

Cracking card and the 4 lads in the main and co-main are absolute gents would be happy to see any of them win.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭aj89

Holloway via Decision
    Going for Stipe tko, and Holloway sub (guillotine).....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Holloway via KO/TKO
    I'm kind of shocked Stipe is a favourite let alone a huge one. DC all day for me in this and going to have to punt him at 2/1. Stipe has the wrestling to deal with Ngannou but I can see DC absolutely clowning him in the grappling exchanges and grinding him down. He wrestled in college but he wasn't a stand out or even close to it.

But this is an absolute belter of a card.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,523 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Ortega via KO/TKO
    Fromvert wrote: »
    I'm kind of shocked Stipe is a favourite let alone a huge one. DC all day for me in this and going to have to punt him at 2/1. Stipe has the wrestling to deal with Ngannou but I can see DC absolutely clowning him in the grappling exchanges and grinding him down. He wrestled in college but he wasn't a stand out or even close to it.

But this is an absolute belter of a card.
    He was an NCAA division 1 wrestler that's an achievement in itself, he is 3 years younger than DC , He is in better shape than DC and is more powerful than DC,  We know DC has better wrestling pedigree but Stipe is not to be laughed at , 
    He will be good enough to keep it standing long enough to knock DC out ,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,934 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Stipe's stand up is light years ahead of DC's. His footwork should be good enough to keep it standing.

Reason he wrestled Ngannou was to negate that Godzilla level punching power and tire him so he left with his head still attached.

• Advertisement

Holloway via KO/TKO
    He was an NCAA division 1 wrestler that's an achievement in itself, he is 3 years younger than DC , He is in better shape than DC and is more powerful than DC,  We know DC has better wrestling pedigree but Stipe is not to be laughed at , 
    He will be good enough to keep it standing long enough to knock DC out ,

Yes he was but I remember finding his record before and he wasn't a stand out, their grappling credentials when it comes to comparing them is like comparing different sports. He was gassed completely against Ngannou from grappling him. Let's see how that gas tank holds up when DC is the one in dominant position. He's very good I'm not denying that but DC is one of the best and I still have doubts about Stipe, you could look at his record and say all of his best wins are against guys past their best.

Stipe has better hands than Cormier but I'd rank Gus's boxing above Stipe's and Cormier was able to compete and hold his own in that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Taking a punch from Gus and taking a punch from Stipe are different things though.

Holloway via KO/TKO
    Ush1 wrote: »
    Taking a punch from Gus and taking a punch from Stipe are different things though.

Yes I'd agree Stipe may has an edge in power (Gus can crack too) but they have similar reach and I'd give Gus the edge on Stipe technically and DC could get in past his jab and do work. He also has been able to take serious punishment in his fights, Rumble being the obvious biggest hitter. So I believe he'll be able to take the shots and get inside

Stipe hasn't be pushed in his title run (due to him getting it done in the first round so not a knock on him!) the one fight that has gone over a round he dominated the fight and grappling but was seriously sucking air those last 5-10 minutes. Don't see him getting DC out of there early and if DC gets his grappling going (which I think he will) I can see Stipe being the one struggling late in the fight.

Holloway via KO/TKO
    I can't think of a wrestling based fighter Stipe has fought. I could be completely off here but think he and the heavyweight division get exposed and shown how weak it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

ricero wrote: »
    Cracking card and the 4 lads in the main and co-main are absolute gents would be happy to see any of them win.

I want all four to win somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Planemo

Holloway out with a concussion (can't link on mobile). I just don't get excited for fights anymore, **** like this happens way too often.

Holloway via KO/TKO
    ****s sake I hate the week of a fight. Never be excited for a fight!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Ortega via KO/TKO
    3 times this year that Holloway has been pulled from a card - 222, 223 and now this.

At least the main event is still on (as of now!) and is an amazing fight but man, what a disappointment, as ****ing usual. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Ortega via Decision
    Usually would be going mad that another fight was off but I just hope Max is ok. His team released a statement, hard to wake, flashing vision, blurred speech, sounds bad.

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/1014703749225476096?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Such **** news to wake up to. Puts a big dent in the card. I doubt there will be any i late replacement for this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Whelo79 wrote: »
    Such **** news to wake up to. Puts a big dent in the card. I doubt there will be any i late replacement for this one.
    Ortega's team have already said unless the replacement is for a title they are not interested. I'd say Lewis - Ngannou will be co-main now.

Planemo wrote: »
    Holloway out with a concussion (can't link on mobile). I just don't get excited for fights anymore, **** like this happens way too often.
    To add to this, they are talking about concussion-like symptoms. They're not currently saying it's a concussion or that he suffered a concussion during training. Could be something else entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

drugs? alcohol? he seemed to be a bit slurry with his speech on embedded

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Ortega via Decision
    Not surprising Kavanagh lost all his class years ago.

Although i was buzzing to see Holloway vs Ortega i am delighted its cancelled as i want to see both men 100 per cent. I reckon they could move it to ufc 227 next month or 228 in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

Holloway via Submission
    max is an unbelievable fighter and i was looking forward to that fight more than anything else on the card and i wasnt surprised he still wanted to fight but it was the right decision by his team not too let him. if it is anything concussion like he is better off not fighting cause he is a young guy and he needs to think about his long term health.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Ortega via KO/TKO
    ricero wrote: »
    Although i was buzzing to see Holloway vs Ortega i am delighted its cancelled as i want to see both men 100 per cent. I reckon they could move it to ufc 227 next month or 228 in September.

Depending on the doctor's orders Max could be out a bit longer. The brutal weight cuts, the no doubt hard sparring and his reliance on his chin isn't doing well for his brain at his young age. A long lay-off vacating the belt could be wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Ortega via KO/TKO
    Zero-Cool wrote: »

Did he comment on James Gallagher being forced to withdraw from his last two fights?

• Advertisement

Kavanagh is a prat.

Advertisement