Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do during hosepipe ban?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

my3cents wrote:
    Why not put up some pictures of your garden so we can see what you have to loose by not using a hose pipe?

So I need to justify to you why I feel it's right to obey the law. Are you a child?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    So I need to justify to you why I feel it's right to obey the law. Are you a child?

Well it would be good to see if you were just a keyboard warrior or someone who actually had something to loose, do you even own a hose pipe?

my3cents wrote:
    Well it would be good to see if you were just a keyboard warrior or someone who actually had something to loose, do you even own a hose pipe?

I do own a hose and it is tucked away neatly in my shed. I use the water butts around my home to water the most vulnerable plants when that runs out the plants are on their won I'm afraid.
    As for keyboard warrior that tag is more appropriate to you. The law and bans are there for a reason. Not for kicks and giggles or to heed if you wish. Now you take care I never argue with a fool as onlookers rarely can tell the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭hkjohn

Obey the rules and regulations of the country you moved to perhaps. Usually a good idea.

I happen to be Irish you patronising twat.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I love it when the Gardening forum goes postal.

Watering cans at 50 paces!

• Advertisement

hkjohn wrote:
    Aetna was wonderful to us when we moved to Ireland five years ago

You forgot you wrote this?

Maybe you should be a decent citizen and conserve water? Her garden will be grand it'll rain at some stage in the next month or two. Nature has a way of rebounding.

Your last paragraph says more about you than anything else you said!

Maybe, but then your belief that being a "good citizen" is more important than being a good neighbour and helping out an old lady in need tells everyone all they need to know about you

You forgot you wrote this?

It is possible to be Irish and to not have lived here full time until recently
    you know.

hkjohn wrote:
    It is possible to be Irish and to not have lived here full time until recently you know.

That's the thing I didn't know because you didn't say, but again my comment about obeying the law still stands.
    Btw your insult was reported.

Lumen wrote:
    Watering cans at 50 paces!

Full or empty?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Full or empty?

Depends on whether you're going for waterboarding (large can required) or bludgeoning (metal can required)

Bringing this back on topic, I use the "infinite watering can" technique of sticking a running hose in the can and then pouring it out. It enables much finer flow control than any of the hose attachments I have.

This is now illegal of course, I so I definitely don't do it. Definitely.

That's the thing I didn't know because you didn't say, but again my comment about obeying the law still stands.
    Btw your insult was reported.

Hope you remembered to mention that my response was coloured by your rather patronising original post, but I doubt it.

Doubtless i'll now join hosepipes on the banned list.

hkjohn wrote:
    Hope you remembered to mention that my response was coloured by your rather patronising original post, but I doubt it.

I have nothing further to say to you. The Mod can deal with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

hkjohn wrote: »
    What would you guys do?

Water the younger/ most vulnerable plants with a watering can twice a week and let the others look after themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭theyoungchap

Maybe, but then your belief that being a "good citizen" is more important than being a good neighbour and helping out an old lady in need tells everyone all they need to know about you

Bloody hell its her garden, she is not dying of thirst. Her garden will recover.....as will they all. It hardly needs to be watered just because she is going in for surgery or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Has this gone countrywide or is it from tonight?

vicwatson wrote: »

8am this morning.

vicwatson wrote:

Countrywide since this morning.

Bloody hell its her garden, she is not dying of thirst. Her garden will recover.....as will they all. It hardly needs to be watered just because she is going in for surgery or whatever.

I'd disagree with you there because we get so much rain normally its very possible here in Ireland to grow a decent garden on far to little top soil.

So what happens when we don't get any rain is that plants just die.

You can go for years and everything grows well until we hit a year like this.

Locally some of a 3-4 years old council planting scheme is already dead because there just isn't enough soil. The same plants grown in a good depth of soil with no watering would still be fine. The fact that the planting scheme did great and looked really well for the first 3 summers just goes to prove the point.

What would you guys do?

You’re obviously a good neighbor. I’m sure that you’ll do the right thing and use watering cans. Remember, not all plants need daily watering. If you can commit to doing it every second evening, that’d suffice.

Hope she has a speedy recovery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭RockDesk

What would you guys do?

Any water I've been using in the kitchen sink is going into a basin. If it's not too sudsy, I'm emptying that water into my watering can and using it on my plants.

RockDesk wrote: »
    Any water I've been using in the kitchen sink is going into a basin. If it's not too sudsy, I'm emptying that water into my watering can and using it on my plants.

Same as that. Unless it has been washing something foul.

But plenty of plants don't need to be watered every evening. We water with a watering can every 2nd evening.

my3cents, it is hardly the Atacama Desert we are in. There will be rain in the next few weeks, if something dies so be it. It will re-grow next year. Hardly an armageddon.

Same as that. Unless it has been washing something foul.

But plenty of plants don't need to be watered every evening. We water with a watering can every 2nd evening.

my3cents, it is hardly the Atacama Desert we are in. There will be rain in the next few weeks, if something dies so be it. It will re-grow next year. Hardly an armageddon.

How can something die and then re-grow next year?

my3cents wrote: »
    How can something die and then re-grow next year?

Because they don't really die.....for example my hydrangeas died last year, they are flying this year. It is called nature!

Because they don't really die.....for example my hydrangeas died last year, they are flying this year. It is called nature!

In that case they didn't die.

Some plants will die in this drought and won't come back next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,114 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

salmocab wrote: »
    Hose pipe ban isn’t literal it means you can’t use water for non essential uses, you’d still be breaking the law.

It is literal actually!
    It means you cannot use a hosepipe, nothing more, nothing less.
    You can wash your car or water your garden with a bucket all you want.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/ireland-s-hosepipe-ban-everything-you-need-to-know-1.3550866

If what you were saying was true, how do you propose they enforce it?
    Check on how long people are showering for? How many times you flush the jacks?

They *request* that people do not use water for non essential uses, buts thats all it is. A request.

my3cents wrote: »
    In that case they didn't die.

Some plants will die in this drought and won't come back next year.

Yes but plenty of plants die and don't come back regardless. They are called annuals and those that come back are called perennials.

What is more important - that some neighbours garden is watered or that people have enough water in a time of drought?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Yes but plenty of plants die and don't come back regardless. They are called annuals and those that come back are called perennials.

What is more important - that some neighbours garden is watered or that people have enough water in a time of drought?
    Perennials can die from lack of water and won't come back becasue they are dead! Same goes for trees and bushes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Only plus I've noticed in my garden is there hasn't been a bit of growth on the privet and it's cut to perfection.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

salmocab wrote: »
    Hose pipe ban isn’t literal it means you can’t use water for non essential uses, you’d still be breaking the law.

Totally untrue. They have specifically said you can use buckets of water to your hearts content. It is literally a hose pipe ban.

It's a farce, as washing the car with a power washer uses a third of the water washing with buckets uses.

Advertisement