Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do during hosepipe ban?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 597 ✭✭✭clfy39tzve8njq

Totally untrue. They have specifically said you can use buckets of water to your hearts content. It is literally a hose pipe ban.

I was wondering about this. Do you have any link please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Numerous newspaper articles and several radio interviews.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,105 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Samson1

https://www.water.ie/news/irish-water-confirms-wate-1/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,575 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=107394617&postcount=30

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

iamtony wrote: »
    Only plus I've noticed in my garden is there hasn't been a bit of growth on the privet and it's cut to perfection.

Cut back mature privet hedge hard this spring. Bloody thing has gone mad with no water added!

The cold this year didn't kill it and it's now laughing at the drought!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

gozunda wrote: »
    Cut back mature privet hedge hard this spring. Bloody thing has gone mad with no water added!

The cold this year didn't kill it and it's now laughing at the drought!

Mad. Mine havent grown whatsoever. The leaves haven't even recovered on top where I cut loads off so it's bare on top.

iamtony wrote: »
    Mad. Mine havent grown whatsoever. The leaves haven't even recovered on top where I cut loads off so it's bare on top.

The privet hedge was grown from cuttings from an old estate garden which had gone wild. Original plants had gone native and survived untended for approx 70 years afaik. Took cuttings about 20 years ago and grew them on - then planted when big enough. I think part of the hedges success is that the variety is complety acclimated to the local climate and soil.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I don't think it's literally all hose use that's banned. I've hooked a small length of hose up to my washing machine outlet pipe and run it into a basin to collect the water which I then transfer to a larger tub that I use for watering my flowers. (It's very imperfect but my washing machine outlet pipe is very low down and I water won't flow upward very much at the pressure it exits the washing machine.) I know other people who have hose pipes connected to the taps on their water butts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

County council have sprinklers running away in their yard again all morning..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,065 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

iguana wrote: »
    I don't think it's literally all hose use that's banned. I've hooked a small length of hose up to my washing machine outlet pipe and run it into a basin to collect the water which I then transfer to a larger tub that I use for watering my flowers. (It's very imperfect but my washing machine outlet pipe is very low down and I water won't flow upward very much at the pressure it exits the washing machine.) I know other people who have hose pipes connected to the taps on their water butts.

So are you watering your flowers with soapy water? Wouldn't that hurt them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭threetrees

I have an outside tap with a short length of hose attached, just enough to be able to put the watering can on the ground while it fills. Of course I'm not removing that! I fill a couple of watering cans for a few pots. Otherwise I think we are very water efficient, our IW meter and bills back in the day prove that.

There is still plenty of water in the reservoirs but the issue is that we are using the supply that's there for later in the year. Come the autumn the reservoirs could be much much lower. The hosepipe ban now is preventive and proactive.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,105 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

We have a tiny strip of lush green grass just where it gets the drips from the pots when we water . Its reminding us how green grass can be while looking at the yellow dusty lawn !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Over at a neighbors where they had a lot of new landscaping done and there is a very geometric L shape in one corner that is a lush green with grass. Turns out that is were they put a meter depth of topsoil with the intention of planting trees later. The rest of the nearly brown lawn only has 30cm of top soil.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Igotadose wrote: »
    So are you watering your flowers with soapy water? Wouldn't that hurt them?

It's fine for flowers, in fact it even deters aphids so can be betters than fresh water. I wouldn't use anything from a dishwasher as the salts can damage the plants and soil but washing machine water is fine. It can even be used for fruit veg if you make sure it doesn't get on salad leaves or anything with low hanging fruit. But I'm sticking to using it on flowers.

my3cents wrote: »
    Over at a neighbors where they had a lot of new landscaping done and there is a very geometric L shape in one corner that is a lush green with grass. Turns out that is were they put a meter depth of topsoil with the intention of planting trees later. The rest of the nearly brown lawn only has 30cm of top soil.

I've spotted the location of buried pipes etc around the place that I'd completly forgotten about!

Lumen wrote: »

Bringing this back on topic, I use the "infinite watering can" technique of sticking a running hose in the can and then pouring it out. It enables much finer flow control than any of the hose attachments I have.

This is now illegal of course, I so I definitely don't do it. Definitely.

This watering can fit the bill?

28897876.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,575 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

One thing is clear: this isn’t about a lack of water. No region in Ireland has insufficient water for supply. Every day Irish Water puts twice as much water into the system as is actually needed – because more water is wasted through leaks than is used by all the households and industry in Ireland put together.

Ireland’s leakage is the highest in Western Europe because its pipes have been neglected for decades. In countries where water is scarce they can’t afford waste so they have had to keep their pipes in order. Not so in Ireland. Ireland has so much water that it has always been able to turn up the tap, pumping ever-increasing amounts into the system to offset the leaks.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/mains-supply-awash-with-leaks-behind-dublin-water-shortage-1.3561620

But as I said in another thread IW could find the money to pay contractors €400 for each meter install but can't afford to fix leaks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

my3cents wrote: »
    But as I said in another thread IW could find the money to pay contractors €400 for each meter install but can't afford to fix leaks?

whats the brake down of that 400. does that include the meter and all the materials used to make good.

whats the brake down of that 400. does that include the meter and all the materials used to make good.

Its just a figure I remember being quoted as what IW were paying contractors. iirc it was the digging up fitting and making good but not the meter. It was discussed as it seemed a lot of money at the time.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/irish-water-spends-100k-a-day-on-new-water-meters-35786844.html

52k water meters installed at a cost of €29.7m; which is over €500 per meter. doesn't mean all that is going to the contractor, but it's a ballpark start.

was an odd decision; where do you get the money to fix the leaks? charge people for the water. but where do you get the money to install the meters?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭standardg60

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/irish-water-spends-100k-a-day-on-new-water-meters-35786844.html

52k water meters installed at a cost of €29.7m; which is over €500 per meter. doesn't mean all that is going to the contractor, but it's a ballpark start.

was an odd decision; where do you get the money to fix the leaks? charge people for the water. but where do you get the money to install the meters?

I think Theresa Lowe has been reading our posts..finally someone has brought up the issue of contributions, though it was completely ignored.

I don't have a problem with the water meters, you can't begin to deal with the issue of water loss until you know where its going, electricity and gas meters are ubiquitous.

Ps. just as its my first post today, great ride from Dan Martin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭theyoungchap

Does anybody know how much it costs to treat 1 litre of water to make it potable?

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭morceli

Does anybody know how much it costs to treat 1 litre of water to make it potable?
    Read something before in the use that had it at about 0.005 cent per gallon. Not sure about Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭theyoungchap

morceli wrote: »
    Read something before in the use that had it at about 0.005 cent per gallon. Not sure about Ireland

I would doubt very much its that little.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭May Contain Small Parts

morceli wrote: »

I've heard the "wholesale" price quoted as about €1 per cubic metre, which is slightly less than what you're saying.

That would include a lot more than just treatment though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭Jennehy

I have dug a dry toilet in the lawn and we are doing number one and twos in it. Using some compost after a few number twos.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

I suggest people don't use dishwater or anything else to water plants.

Risk of infection..

Fresh/clean rain water only!! Bathwater if it is non ionic!

Advertisement