Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2018 - Round 9 – Austria

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,293 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

That felt like a race from the 90's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭Joeface

Third DRS now added to Silverstone , to try and recreate the same level race .

• Registered Users Posts: 21,433 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Gintonious wrote: »
    That felt like a race from the 90's.
    Especially with all the unreliability!
    It's great, as everyone is pushing the limits of the tech as there is no one clear best car. It's probably Mercedes a nose ahead of ferrari with red bull a little further back. But in a fair fight yesterday no one could catch max in first, or the ferraris in 2 and 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,293 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

ELM327 wrote: »
    Especially with all the unreliability!
    It's great, as everyone is pushing the limits of the tech as there is no one clear best car. It's probably Mercedes a nose ahead of ferrari with red bull a little further back. But in a fair fight yesterday no one could catch max in first, or the ferraris in 2 and 3.

the heat played a factor as well I think, track was 20 degrees warmer than the Friday sessions.

A bit of unpredictability is exactly what is needed in F1, unfortunately its hard to come by at most races. But after the run of utter crap we had with the processional ones, I'll gladly take one like this when I can.

Hoping Silverstone does us a good one too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Harika

Prediction analysis:

Predictions:
    Vettel will strike - hm, I give it to me as lead in the Championship again
    Haas strong again - oh yeah
    Another debacle for McLaren - difficult. Overall bad, saved by Alonsos drive. Half
    Both Renault in the points - megafail

• Registered Users Posts: 11,141 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Harika wrote: »
    Prediction analysis:

Predictions:
    Vettel will strike - hm, I give it to me as lead in the Championship again
    Haas strong again - oh yeah
    Another debacle for McLaren - difficult. Overall bad, saved by Alonsos drive. Half
    Both Renault in the points - megafail

Vettel did over take Hamilton on track

It was a total debacle for McLaren
    Hulk Bottas Ric Hamilton all had mechanical failures

• Registered Users Posts: 12,822 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Can I just point something extraordinary out. Every Ferrari powered car scored points yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭chicorytip

flazio wrote:
    Can I just point something extraordinary out. Every Ferrari powered car scored points yesterday.

How can there be such a disparity in performance between teams running the same engine? Thirty seconds on occasions. Chassis design is broadly similar across the sport as is driver ability excepting the superstar elite - Hamilton, Vettel, Alonso and Verstappen.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,614 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

chicorytip wrote: »
    How can there be such a disparity in performance between teams running the same engine? Thirty seconds on occasions. Chassis design is broadly similar across the sport as is driver ability excepting the superstar elite - Hamilton, Vettel, Alonso and Verstappen.

I think you underestimate just how much disparity there is in budgetary terms between the front three and everyone else. With the resources they have, Merc for example can maximise every ounce of performance from every component down to reducing weight by using lighter alloys for nuts and bolts. A Haas, Force India or Williams could never keep up with that level of development. If the regulations are stable for long periods the field naturally gets tighter as the rest start to make those marginal gains that the front teams have long developed. But this year saw the introduction of the halo which forced additional chassis development for teams as it was announced so late. Not a surprise the gap has widened again in most cases.

• Advertisement
Advertisement