Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2018 - Round 9 – Austria

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,084 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Well that makes thing a bit more interesting. Hamilton will need to pull out a bit of a gap before his pit stop later

• Registered Users Posts: 14,623 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

Kimi has already locked up 3 times on those tyres, he will find it tough to make the end of the race on 1 stop at this rate. Good move from Ricciardo to seize on the error

• Registered Users Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Standby for some Ham whining.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,708 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

So what are the chances that Hamilton's car will have the same problem as Bottas car had. Probably very small. Maybe Max can get him before then. Go Max. Never thought I would saying that. Just do not want Lewis getting to far ahead in the championship over Vettel.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,225 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Obviously we have to wait for the outcome of the race to know but right now it's looking like another safety car pit stop blunder from Merc, which I feel happens regularly... Is it just me or are they terrible at pit strategy?

• Advertisement

Vic_08 wrote: »

To me it certainly seems like a strategic blunder. Haven't heard radio coms between ham and the team to give any insight on the decision

Redbull in good position, and Hamilton not opening up the gap. Might be good at the end of the race if Hamilton needs to pass cars

• Registered Users Posts: 12,965 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Even if Max gets past when Lewis eventually pits, could he hold the place on tyres much older than Lewis’ will be? It’s a hot day.

Hamilton in now ...

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Early enough stop for Hamilton

Hope it won't just be a procession to the end now, I guess Vettel could get new tires at some point

• Advertisement

His team made a mistake on strategy and he lost the lead of the race. Any driver in that situation would be understandably annoyed, not unique to Hamilton

Had to come in, another lap and Vettel would have mugged him also.

Doesn't have big tyre advantage either.

With that early stop I wonder will anybody think to try a 2 stop now and make it work

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Didn't take long :pac:

Seriously, what on earth were merc thinking? Over confidence in car performance? Unless we see something spectatular that decision not to pit under safety car has cost him the win. Seemed stupid at the time and even worse now in hindsight.

It's not the first time a non pit call has cost merc, why are they not learning?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭JPF82

Merc are capable of screwing races tactically. Any driver would be complaining in that scenario, not just Hamster.

Sainz stopped again, he's going for a 2 stop but lost 5 seconds on a slow stop which screws it up totally.

Ricciardo’s rear tyre is blistering, Sainz had to pit for a change. I don’t really blame the Mercedes team if they thought that SC was too early for a safe one stop strategy. More than 60 laps on these tyres today is pushing it, I thought.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

Good to see them struggling a bit

bnt wrote: »
    Ricciardo’s rear tyre is blistering. I don’t really blame the Mercedes team if they thought that SC was too early for a safe one stop strategy. More than 60 laps on these tyres today is pushing it, I thought.

Ricciardo is losing so much time, they might have no option but to switch him

Edit: just as I post he's in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,708 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Oh Kimi now in second. Hope he can finish there. Nice pass there by Vettel on Hamilton.

Loving the overtakes keeping it straight for ages going into the apexes, **** all space being given. :)

skipper_G wrote: »
    Ricciardo is losing so much time, they might have no option but to switch him

Edit: just as I post he's in

Good call, if the other's tyres don't last he will be in a good spot.

James is a bit too apologetic to Hamilton today. Ferrari looking strongest at the moment. Wonder how Verstappens tires are

• Registered Users Posts: 6,049 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

I wonder if that Merc guy will get sacked? Some grovelling going on over the radio. :pac:

Vettel overtaking Hamilton on track, not a procession after all. Suck it football

• Registered Users Posts: 11,756 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I wonder if that Merc guy will get sacked? Some grovelling going on over the radio. :pac:

Probably not sacked, but will get some roasting from Wolff.

Hamilton is good at looking after his tyres, and his are fresher than those ahead of him. I don’t think a win is out of the question.

Hamilton with blisters on his left rear as well

• Advertisement

Hamiltons rear left is looking bad now

Advertisement