Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chit chat number nein

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Grueller wrote:
    The wife here is treasurer of the local club and has been secretary for a good few years previous to that. It costs €65 - €75,000 per annum to run our small rural club. Insurance, affiliation, maintenance, lighting, equipment etc. It all adds up over the year. That figure does not include any capital spending at all and almost all labour is voluntary.

The financial model in the GAA is unsustainable. Far too much pressure on clubs to try and fund excessive (70 to 80 k a year)running costs. Lots of money goes to the Croke park a way will have to be found to distribute it fairly to clubs
    Our club raised 137k in February but asked for parents to raise more to fund the Feile team to Cork. That sort of thing really gets peoples goat

• Registered Users Posts: 29,104 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

grassroot1 wrote: »
    The financial model in the GAA is unsustainable. Far too much pressure on clubs to try and fund excessive (70 to 80 k a year)running costs. Lots of money goes to the Croke park a way will have to be found to distribute it fairly to clubs
    Our club raised 137k in February but asked for parents to raise more to fund the Feile team to Cork. That sort of thing really gets peoples goat

Another thing that bugs me is the major fundraiser here is at back to school time. Most parents are broke enough at that time of year another smaller one at Christmas. I have mentioned it to them a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Hi Whelan, just a quick question if I may.
    How did you get on with the online application?
    Did it go smoothly, and how long did it take to arrive?
    kind regards, Nek.

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    kind regards, Nek.
    The passport. Applied on the Sunday and had it on the Wednesday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

kind regards, Nek.

Got a new passport as well in May, only took about 2-3 weeks to arrive, was very quick and painless...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

kind regards, Nek.

The woman of the house renewed my passport last year through Passport Express. She says she sent it off either on Sunday or Monday night and had it back on the Wednesday in the post. Rapid turn around.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

This Farming Life is starting again tomorrow at 8 on BBC 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Anyone having problems getting Eircom web-mail to open?

Anyone having problems getting Eircom web-mail to open?

Ye. Has been a bit dodgy this last few days. Cant get in at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 11,155 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Sad to hear that Rutger Hauer has died, RIP. The first time I saw him was in Bladerunner and he made a fair impact at the time and we were all talking about the nasty replicant.

• Advertisement

whelan2 wrote: »
    Ye. Has been a bit dodgy this last few days. Cant get in at the moment
    working now

• Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Base price wrote: »
    Sad to hear that Rutger Hauer has died, RIP. The first time I saw him was in Bladerunner and he made a fair impact at the time and we were all talking about the nasty replicant.

Massive fan of his work - a real smooth operator:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,155 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Massive fan of his work - a real smooth operator:cool:
    Apparently he did advertisements for Guinness although I never saw any of the ads on RTE. Remember in those days Guinness had super ads on the telly but I don't remember seeing him in any of them.
    Although years ago when I was a high flying exec, I overnighted in a hotel in The Hague and I saw him on a TV ad promoting cans of draught Guinness. That would have been in the early days of cans of draught Guinness. From memory the ad was very dark and had a mannequin standing beside him.
    TBH my earliest memories of cans of draught Guinness was when my Dad (a teetotaler) poured a can into a glass and used the supplied syringe to make the creamy head on it. My Uncle drank it and had no complaints - so it must have been good enough for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭L1985

Have been picking an insane amount of ragweed this week ( don’t ask!) and I nearly feel guilty as every single one had some insect and usually multiple insects! We have beehives and the bees seem to love them. Still getting rid of them thou!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Interesting video on grass seed harvesting, never seen it before.
    https://twitter.com/wearegerminal/status/1154375429731553280?s=19

Just read there a man was injured after a bull being unloaded at ennis mart escaped. The injured man was working nearby and tried to stop the bull escaping. What is ennis mart like? Would all marts not have good unloading facilities now?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Just read there a man was injured after a bull being unloaded at ennis mart escaped. The injured man was working nearby and tried to stop the bull escaping. What is ennis mart like? Would all marts not have good unloading facilities now?

Ennis mart has very good facility's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,932 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Ennis mart has very good facility's.

It might not be the facility’s
    Happened me once, had run to crush set-up went back & opened gates on trailer.
    In the meantime a farmer not selling came in by the chutes & left a gate open
    Cow ended up down the road it took myself & 3 drovers about 2 hours to get her to a secure place
    The mart have a drover at the loading & unloading anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

L1985 wrote: »
    Have been picking an insane amount of ragweed this week ( don’t ask!) and I nearly feel guilty as every single one had some insect and usually multiple insects! We have beehives and the bees seem to love them. Still getting rid of them thou!

I leave the ones with cinnabar moths on them cos the caterpillars will take care of the issue anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Odelay

It’s hard to believe the record breaking temperatures in the Uk and Europe. Mild, overcast, showers and windy here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Farmers in Ontario planting Spring Barleý now to cut for straw after cold weather killed off a third of their Winter Wheat crop.
    https://twitter.com/farmersjournal/status/1154481557526196225?s=19

Odelay wrote: »
    It’s hard to believe the record breaking temperatures in the Uk and Europe. Mild, overcast, showers and windy here.

Breezy here now. 2 youngest out playing on a mound of topsoil at my new building. There most of the day and it's free

• Registered Users Posts: 11,059 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

This Farming Life was on BBC 2 tonight, should've flagged it for you, I'm sure you'll get it on I payer if you hide you identity.
    We've it recorded and just watching it, it's not great, it might be a repeat be a repeat but I haven't seen this one before.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,078 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Farmers in Ontario planting Spring Barleý now to cut for straw after cold weather killed off a third of their Winter Wheat crop.
    https://twitter.com/farmersjournal/status/1154481557526196225?s=19
    They must have no rye out there!

https://twitter.com/GraceIOFGA/status/1154403919151468545?s=20

Very interesting there today, a researcher was growing plots of naked barley on the farm. I think about 130 varieties.
    He could find no old native barley varieties in this country. Complaint was any here were all American varieties.
    Department and farmers not able to use home saved seed gets the blame. Progress!!
    Varieties he has growing from European stock range from two inch high barley to black coloured and two to six row.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Odelay

Breezy here now. 2 youngest out playing on a mound of topsoil at my new building. There most of the day and it's free

Best fun as a kid was playing with toys on in a mound of topsoil.

Odelay wrote: »
    Best fun as a kid was playing with toys on in a mound of topsoil.

Daughter is 15 :) great to see her having a few years of memories outside. Other lad is 11. They get on great

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

It might not be the facility’s
    Happened me once, had run to crush set-up went back & opened gates on trailer.
    In the meantime a farmer not selling came in by the chutes & left a gate open
    Cow ended up down the road it took myself & 3 drovers about 2 hours to get her to a secure place
    The mart have a drover at the loading & unloading anymore

+1 on lad's leaving gates open and wondering then when the stock getaway as too how it happened. Although even with good facilities it can still happen from time to time. It's rarely the quiet ones that escape either and some of my most memorable mart memories involve trying to corral the escape artists.

I've seen men running after wild stock only for the tables to turn and the same men returning at high speed being followed by the same stock. A runaway weaning jumped into a river that must of been 20" foot below street level with 10" foot of a torrent of water last Autumn. The current brought him several hundred metres and under a bridge in seconds before he got to a stretch of river bank that was climbable and disappeared down a field (he was corraled soon after and sold the same night).

A separate incident involved an older man running flat out into a bog drain roughly 8" wide and 6" deep while trying to round up 2 of the wildest escaped heifer's I've seen in a while. He was watching the cattle who had turned back from the gateway and were making a break for freedom once again. In his haste to turn them he ran straight into the drain at full tilt, I remember it vividly and everything seemed to happen in slow motion. I think it was the coyote in the Road runner cartoons that used to pedal in mid air for a few seconds before dropping into the abyss. Our man done something similar and ended up head first in the dyke with only his slip on boots showing above the rushes. I have too admit it was pretty funny and as I went to pull him out I enquired as to whether he was alright only to be met by a muffled reply of "I don't know​ if I am or not", I folded with laughter at this point. The plus side of his ordeal was that the roar he let as he tumbled into the drain turned the heifers and we able to corral and subsequently return them too the mart. Our man got them sold and suffered no lasting damage once the shock of the incident had passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,688 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Ennis Mart do have great facilities. The farmer now unloads his own cattle and the drovers take them up then to the chutes. The problem I think, might be with the gates at the unloading pens. They are 2 half gates. You open these gates first and then let down the ramp. Problem is you then have to put up the ramp again before you close the gates. Lads are doing this on their own too. If there was a second set of gates just inside the outer ones, it would solve this.

There may need to put gates around the area outside the unloading area too, but how would that work?

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 18,479 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

The passport. Applied on the Sunday and had it on the Wednesday

This talk of passports and us traveling soon made me scurry off and triple check that ours are in date, even though I was 99.99% I’d checked them twice since Christmas, good to 2025 so it’s not like they are close. Sometimes anxiety kicks off over simple stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Ennis Mart do have great facilities. The farmer now unloads his own cattle and the drovers take them up then to the chutes. The problem I think, might be with the gates at the unloading pens. They are 2 half gates. You open these gates first and then let down the ramp. Problem is you then have to put up the ramp again before you close the gates. Lads are doing this on their own too. If there was a second set of gates just inside the outer ones, it would solve this.

There may need to put gates around the area outside the unloading area too, but how would that work?

Just in case anyone didn't see the video.
    Should be in the link....

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/video-escaped-bull-causes-havoc-in-ennis/?utm_content=buffer33a94&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement