Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chit chat number nein

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,078 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Not to take away from what happened today.
    But that's a very unlucky livestock Mart with attacks on people.

Ennis Mart do have great facilities. The farmer now unloads his own cattle and the drovers take them up then to the chutes. The problem I think, might be with the gates at the unloading pens. They are 2 half gates. You open these gates first and then let down the ramp. Problem is you then have to put up the ramp again before you close the gates. Lads are doing this on their own too. If there was a second set of gates just inside the outer ones, it would solve this.

There may need to put gates around the area outside the unloading area too, but how would that work?

There's an inner set of gates at the unloading area in enniscorthy mart.
    I'm pretty sure it's the same in Carnew?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

1 animal on there own is always worse than a group imo. A group will run together and you have some chance of herding them where as a single animal usually panics and runs blind and is more likely to face a threat rather than retreat. Often times we'd let out a few quiet cows along with a single break a way to try and get a manageable group that can be herded. I've often seen single cattle to charge when threatened where as in a group there not as aggressive.

As for the issue with gates I think it would be of more benefit to create a secure yard that could be easily locked down in the event of an escaped animal. If you could contain them within the mart yard it would usually be possible to capture them without much fuss. Ballina mart has a single entrance point which can be closed off and the yard is secure. Elphin has a similar setup outside the main chutes and a man stationed in a hut outside ready to close the gates if necessary as well as keeping traffic flowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Ennis Mart do have great facilities. The farmer now unloads his own cattle and the drovers take them up then to the chutes. The problem I think, might be with the gates at the unloading pens. They are 2 half gates. You open these gates first and then let down the ramp. Problem is you then have to put up the ramp again before you close the gates. Lads are doing this on their own too. If there was a second set of gates just inside the outer ones, it would solve this.

There may need to put gates around the area outside the unloading area too, but how would that work?

No you don't, fellas just don't know how to use them right. The ramp should be just at the edge of the concrete step, open the 2 pen gates outward, let down ramp and open trailer gates and let out stock, close trailer gates and pen gates and then put up the ramp. I have backed in there at least a hundred times and there's no fear of anything going out past you if you do it right. Most fellas back in way too far and have the gates swung back into the pen and a gap left at the side of the ramp. A few times I brought wild stock I used to say it to the drovers before unloading too and they would clear the way up to the chutes and let them run straight up from the loading pens.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,688 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

But if you open pen gates out, the cattle can still get out at the side of the trailer by pushing back those gates. Fine if you have a second person but on your own, it won't work.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,176 ✭✭✭orm0nd

But if you open pen gates out, the cattle can still get out at the side of the trailer by pushing back those gates. Fine if you have a second person but on your own, it won't work.

Always thought for a modern mart who ever designed the penning and intake points hadn't a clue.

As bad as the cattle intake is the calf and sheep are an utter joke.

Shortly after being opened they had to re design the lead into the scales

Compared to other marts the staff there aren't particularly helpful either. Often saw people trying to get stock from pens and a couple of men standing chatting and not offering 1 bit of assistance.

Compare that to athenry or mounbellow and the very minute you appear with the pass out it is taken from you and your stock loaded.

There's no way they can get out the side of the trailer if you do it that way. The pen gates only open out 90°. It definitely without a doubt works.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

One lairage I unload bulls at the outside gates have chains on them that you wrap around the upright bars of the trailer. Would be rough to drive on and forget them though:(

ABP lairage in Nenagh is fantastic, I hear Temple Grandin designed it.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    One lairage I unload bulls at the outside gates have chains on them that you wrap around the upright bars of the trailer. Would be rough to drive on and forget them though:(

ABP lairage in Nenagh is fantastic, I hear Temple Grandin designed it.

I unloaded cattle there a few years back. The revolving fully sheeted gate is a great job.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Farmers in Ontario planting Spring Barleý now to cut for straw after cold weather killed off a third of their Winter Wheat crophttps://twitter.com/farmersjournal/status/1154481557526196225?s=19

Had an interesting chat with the Manager of the local Co-op recently. Apparently fence posts of all kinds are starting to get increasingly difficult to import as the scandinavians are now diverting a large proportion of cut lumber into biomas - as it's price on the world market has surged. I presume this movement is a similar trend to the biomass now being shipped into Ireland for electricity generation from Australia of all places!

Tbh I can see the price of some farm materials, bedding etc going through the roof and availability becoming increasingly scarce as the powers that be continue to fall over themselves to appear greener than green - all the while ignoring the fact that billions of tons of fossil fuels are being used in the transport of much of this biomas ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

gozunda wrote: »
    Had an interesting chat with the Manager of the local Co-op recently. Apparently fence posts of all kinds are starting to get increasingly difficult to import as the scandinavians are now diverting a large proportion of cut lumber into biomas - as it's price on the world market has surged. I presume this movement is a similar trend to the biomass now being shipped into Ireland for electricity generation from Australia of all places!

Tbh I can see the price of some farm materials, bedding etc going through the roof and availability becoming increasingly scarce as the powers that be continue to fall over themselves to appear greener than green - all the while ignoring the fact that billions of tons of fossil fuels are being used in the transport of much of this biomas ...

A lot of the timber posts should be delivered directly to furnaces rather than merchants yards. Pure sh1te.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

I often think it's a miracle that there isn't more incidents involving stock at marts seeing as there such high risk environments. This is speaking as someone who works in and spends a fair amount​ of time in marts every week. It's a high pressure environment on both man and beast. The cattle are in a strange new setup while the clientele and staff are often stressed and generally under pressure.

As for informing staff that you have some wilder than average stock with you it's always a good idea. If we know what we're dealing with then it's possible to take some extra precautions which should leave the experience easier all round. I've seen stock that were turned away from other marts due to being "unworkable" being handled and sold without any major incident. Any stock have the potential to act up but with a proven wild animal some prior notice is a big help.

A lot of mart facilities particularly in older independent marts are badly designed and laid out imo. Often times they were setup by people who never tried to handle stock in a mart environment. A few small changes such a rounding or blocking off the corners in a square handling pen can make a massive difference to the animal flow. Rising insurance costs coupled with lower turnover means that oftentimes the funding for improvement isn't available. I think that a few days working in a mart environment would be a help to anyone's herding skills, it's one thing working your own stock at home but very different dealings with others in a strange setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

A lot of the timber posts should be delivered directly to furnaces rather than merchants yards. Pure sh1te.

Well I'm glad to tell you I'm not making them. But yeah be careful what you buy and where imo. Though it looks like we could be even paying more for the same '****e' you're talking about in the not too distant future ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Well I'm glad to tell you I'm not making them. But yeah be careful what you buy and where imo. Though it looks like we could be even paying more for the same '****e' you're talking about in the not too distant future ...

I saw 10 acres of 30 yr old forestry cut down 2 yrs ago. They had the logs in 3 piles -saw, paper and fire. The vast majority at least 60% was in the fire pile destined for Edenderry. Some massive logs and they paying pittance for them. 40eu a tonne or something.

orm0nd wrote: »
    Always thought for a modern mart who ever designed the penning and intake points hadn't a clue.

As bad as the cattle intake is the calf and sheep are an utter joke.

Shortly after being opened they had to re design the lead into the scales

Compared to other marts the staff there aren't particularly helpful either. Often saw people trying to get stock from pens and a couple of men standing chatting and not offering 1 bit of assistance.

Compare that to athenry or mounbellow and the very minute you appear with the pass out it is taken from you and your stock loaded.

Gort is worse. The cattle do be driven demented by the time they get as far as the ring. Also the chutes are at the back of the loading pens and they are a good bit wider than the trailer. Had a few close ones there letting stock off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭kk.man

He is not making it up. I am doing a fenching job atm. My fencher can't source good imported stakes.

For luck I got them just in time in another county. I'd say they are all gone in that place now.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭dmakc

How long would a bale of silage last before being too late to use? We've always fed them within 2 years of cutting at the latest but can't find the answer online

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Is there anybody left in Limerick today?

Is there anybody left in Limerick today?

I live near the border so a lot of Limerick people living here. One neighbour who farms, has being here over 50 years but still an 'out and out' Limerick fan. They've it won already - that's the problem.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I live near the border so a lot of Limerick people living here. One neighbour who farms, has being here over 50 years but still an 'out and out' Limerick fan. They've it won already - that's the problem.:D

Our daughter is playing at half time so we got two tickets to the game. There's hundreds of Limerick shirts around but only a few Kilkenny ones up yet.

• Advertisement

Limerick were always a good crowd to support in fairness.

Limerick were always a good crowd to support in fairness.

When they're going well.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,133 ✭✭✭✭Water John

2 years is about the limit on bale silage and you'd be lucky at that.

Well they've lost the first one.

You never write Kilkenny off.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,479 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Nice evening but not the nicest jobs.
    Satisfying all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,479 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Satisfying all the same.

Although the cat is putting on a good show he did nothing but distract my daughter from carrying the bag 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 11,059 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

_Brian wrote: »
    Satisfying all the same.

At something similar myself, I reseeded 2 acres and 100s of single nettles are coming up. In order to mind the clover I'm spot spraying each nettle individually..... no other idiot would do it.
    I sprayed it off with roundup and tilled it with an einbock type harrow, There was only two or three clumps in the field before reseeding but I must have tore the roots up into a thousand bits because this is the second time I've had to spot spray it in three weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭naughto

Is there a grant for planting hedges around a new build ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,368 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

wrangler wrote: »
    At something similar myself, I reseeded 2 acres and 100s of single nettles are coming up. In order to mind the clover I'm spot spraying each nettle individually..... no other idiot would do it.
    I sprayed it off with roundup and tilled it with an einbock type harrow, There was only two or three clumps in the field before reseeding but I must have tore the roots up into a thousand bits because this is the second time I've had to spot spray it in three weeks

It's a palatine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,104 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Reggie. wrote: »
    It's a palatine

A what ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement