Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chit chat number nein

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Is it expensive to do? Have an old single storey stone house here where I was born and reared in a sorry state at the moment after a fire a few years ago. I know it would be a better job to go completely out of the new but planning is a nightmare where I am and it might be easier and a bit cheaper to work with what I have and avoid all the hassle with planning. Had heard from a few the external insulation was a good job alright but had no idea of cost. Will be stripping it back to the 4 walls whenever the time comes.

120/m2 Incl VAT will cover ya with €6500 grant plus carbon credits which in total.is nearly 7k back

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Watching prime time last night. Two ponies killed from being hit by cars on main N84 in last 2 nights. Thats the love they have for their animals. Know the lad that hit one of them. New car now in his santa letter. "Shure that washnt my ponieee atall boss".

• Registered Users Posts: 29,275 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Just reading there Gatwick Airport has been closed due to drone activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Environmentalists saving the planet from co2 belching 747's.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭emaherx

whelan2 wrote: »
    Just reading there Gatwick Airport has been closed due to drone activity.

Seems closed since last night. Hope they get the culprit. How much will that cost airport/airlines?

• Advertisement

emaherx wrote: »
    Seems closed since last night. Hope they get the culprit. How much will that cost airport/airlines?

It'll be more than one culprit.

You'd have to have a few just to keep the drones charged up between flights and different landing/taking off points for the drones. Or else it wouldn't be going on for so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,523 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

You'd have to have a few just to keep the drones charged up between flights and different landing/taking off points for the drones. Or else it wouldn't be going on for so long.

Seems quite the operation. I doubt this is kids,

_Brian wrote: »
    Seems quite the operation. I doubt this is kids,

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/12/20/gatwick-chaos-drones-cause-flights-cancelled-live-updates/

20 police units and a ghost drone.:D

Whoever it is they've been hugely successful.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/12/20/gatwick-chaos-drones-cause-flights-cancelled-live-updates/

20 police units and a ghost drone.:D

Whoever it is they've been hugely successful.

If it’s only making intermittent appearances then it could literally be one operator.
    Very efficient method of protest or whatever it is.

_Brian wrote: »
    If it’s only making intermittent appearances then it could literally be one operator.
    Very efficient method of protest or whatever it is.

Two at the start though...

Who's to say that different drones are not being used every time and abandoned where they land?

• Advertisement

I’d say the marksmen are itching to have a pot shot at it.

Is it still going on?

whelan2 wrote: »
    Is it still going on?

Still ongoing.
    Closed till 9pm.
    Army on the job now.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/live/2018/dec/20/gatwick-airport-drone-travel-chaos-disruption-live-updates

John McClane is in reserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Batteries are charged and fitted to drones......can be changed in seconds.

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    Batteries are charged and fitted to drones......can be changed in seconds.

You'd think with the helicopters in the air and spotters on the ground they'd be able to follow the drone .....if batteries are being changed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

You'd think with the helicopters in the air and spotters on the ground they'd be able to follow the drone .....if batteries are being changed?

Seems they are turning off lights...difficult to follow

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    Seems they are turning off lights...difficult to follow

Ah I'm not buying it. Even if lights are off.

They must be suicide drones.

*Suicide as in not returning home or have someone picking them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

They could gather up the bastard crows around here, they'd do a job on anything

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

What would cause young calvea coughimg a month or two old. No pneumonia type symptoms

• Registered Users Posts: 11,199 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

It really shows the level to which a modern airport can be targeted, and by relatively common and affordble technology.
    Also gives a lie to the abilities of the security services to track and contain a determined vigilante/terrorist.
    All those TV shows like Spooks etc are really only illusionary bull****.

Will lead to a severe clampdown on the ownership and use of drones too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    It really shows the level to which a modern airport can be targeted, and by relatively common and affordble technology.
    Also gives a lie to the abilities of the security services to track and contain a determined vigilante/terrorist.

drjHSor.jpg

Seems possible

I was reading on another thread the way it's possible for someone to lay out these drones say a day beforehand within 1km or so of the airport and have each one programmed to take off every so often and fly over the airport and then take a route out when the battery starts to get low and literally just fall out of the sky.

The airport could be closed for a while yet and all from a programmer.
    The perpetrator could be in a different country since last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,105 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

What would cause young calvea coughimg a month or two old. No pneumonia type symptoms

Are they in a shed
    There's something wrong with your ventilation, could be too close or too draughty.
    When I was bucket feeding calves I always considered coughing as a warning,
    Have you taken their temperature

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Anything that irritates the airways. Could be parasites, dust, chemicals or microbes. In your case its most likely microbes, the same ones that initiate pneumonia.

Haemophilus.
    Mycoplasma.
    RSV.
    PI3.
    IBR.

Amongst others.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Any other symptoms?
    As wrangler asked - have you taken their temperature. Are they vaccinated. Have they access to hay, if so is it dusty. What bedding are they on, what is the ventilation like in the shed - the weather is unusually mild and settle in the last few days here so their could be a build up of stale air containing lots of nasties.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Its only the one calf and its only the odd time. On woodchip.
    No hay. Its a very airy shed . calf doesnt have a temperature

See they are saying some people sitting on planes for 5 hours not knowing what was going on, we did 2 hours in Heathrow on a plane with kids when they were very young, wouldnt wish it on anyone .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,105 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Your post said calves as in more than one.
    Airy sheds can be bad too, we used to always have a sheltered 'nest ' for them, They'd lie out around the pen in the mild days and then tuck in under the nests on the cold days/nights.....first thing you get in an airy shed on a cold night is a down draught

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Ask your vet for a shot of long-acting injection for him and keep an eye on the others.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Advertisement

Drone still being spotted at Gatwick amd runway to remain closed tonight.

Whoever is runnning this is surely pushing their luck at this stage. Surely if they stopped now they would walk away. If the drone is captured I fully expect the owner will be traced and jail would be inevitable.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement