Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chit chat number nein

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I'm not much use to you but this is my one, printed in 1965, used to belong to my Mum :)
    I love old books like that. I have a good few old fishing/fly tying and cookery/recipe books and they are brilliant reference books.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Odelay

Base price wrote: »
    I love old books like that. I have a good few old fishing/fly tying and cookery/recipe books and they are brilliant reference books.

Do you do much of the fly tying? It’s a beautiful skill.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Odelay wrote: »
    Do you do much of the fly tying? It’s a beautiful skill.
    I'm very much a novice but youngest is very proficient and ties most of what we use.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,723 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Can any of ye recommend a good bird watching/identification pocket book for Irish birds. I can identify the common types but when I see some dickie birds I'm only guessing. Two years ago I got an app on my phone but it's more or less useless without a proper internet signal so I would like to treat myself to a pocket book for Christmas.

I was looking at this one - https://www.irelandswildlife.com/book-review-birds-ireland-field-guide/ - but after reading the reviews I'm put off it as it doesn't have a map showing where species are commonly found.
    I have noticed in the last couple of years that the number of dickie birds staying around the yard in Winter has increased dramatically. The only thing that has changed on the farm is we are now in GLAS-WBC. I presume it is due to the wbc holding/encouraging them in Autumn and the fact that there is food in the yard between picking through round bales of straw in the sheds/bedding and meal been fed to the cattle.

I bought this in Easons a few years back. Good book.
    Collins Life-Size Birds
    https://www.nhbs.com/collins-life-size-birds-book

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

Just been driving the road from Ballina to Killala and noticed that there is one '80' speed limit sign just outside Ballina and then absolutely nothing until you arrive Killala and hit the 50 limit. Now the road is not the best one in the country, nor it is the worst so one could be forgiven thinking that once you were clear of the town the limit was 100. There was a speed van tucked in on a lay-by and I'd say it was like shooting fish in a barrel coz people were flying by me as if I were stopped. I'm teaching my eldest to watch out for signs, so am very aware at the moment and was watching out for speed limits. My youngest was in the car with me and she is noticing this sort of stuff as well.
    I know it is up to us to watch out but I reckon it is unfair not putting reminder signs along the road. On the other side of Ballina heading towards Sligo there are 'lollipop' signs at regular intervals with 100 on them.
    Rant over!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭mayota

KatyMac wrote: »
    Just been driving the road from Ballina to Killala and noticed that there is one '80' speed limit sign just outside Ballina and then absolutely nothing until you arrive Killala and hit the 50 limit. Now the road is not the best one in the country, nor it is the worst so one could be forgiven thinking that once you were clear of the town the limit was 100. There was a speed van tucked in on a lay-by and I'd say it was like shooting fish in a barrel coz people were flying by me as if I were stopped. I'm teaching my eldest to watch out for signs, so am very aware at the moment and was watching out for speed limits. My youngest was in the car with me and she is noticing this sort of stuff as well.
    I know it is up to us to watch out but I reckon it is unfair not putting reminder signs along the road. On the other side of Ballina heading towards Sligo there are 'lollipop' signs at regular intervals with 100 on them.
    Rant over!!!!!

Haven’t seen them there in a while. Foxford to Bellavary is now 80 with a 60 stretch through Straide village. A lot of the morning commuters are going to be caught!

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Keep Sluicing

• Registered Users Posts: 11,199 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

KatyMac wrote: »
    Rant over!!!!!

Same near me. You leave the town limits in Arva, Co Cavan, and there is no speed limit sign until Drumlish, Co. Longford , 20 km away.
    A speed van sits just 100 metres before the Drumlish sign, and they have reduced the limit from 100 to 80 km/hour.
    Got caught there ( saw van in the distance, checked speedo, all good. Fine in post in a few dsys)
    Went to court to argue the toss, got fine and points doubled!
    Every case that morning was from the speed van, and we were only the ones who didnt pay the fine.
    Raging.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Snowfire

Why would you think you had a chance in court,?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭tanko

Snowfire wrote: »

I went to court over speeding, got a fine but no points. It all depends on which judge you get as far as i can see.
    That was a few years ago tho.

• Advertisement

Because the speed limit had been reduced, and there was no sign, bar the reverse side of the 50k one at the edge of town 20 kilometers back the road.
    This on a streach of road you could land a light airplane on....

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Because the speed limit had been reduced, and there was no sign, bar the reverse side of the 50k one at the edge of town 20 kilometers back the road.
    This on a streach of road you could land a light airplane on....

Did you get a chance to explain your case in court,?

Did you get a chance to explain your case in court,?
    I did.
    I was told that I was obviously "paying insufficent attention".
    Every single one if us (about 20 people) got fined, except one woman who convinced the Judge that her post regulary goes astray.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I've got "The Collins Guide to European Birds" - one of the main illustrators is an Irishman based in Wexford. Excellent quality illustrations.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,723 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

What about Mullinalaghta? :D

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

What about Mullinalaghta? :D

450 total population, verses a club with 5000 paid up members!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,967 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    450 total population, verses a club with 5000 paid up members!

Brilliant for them
    A good send off for a fantastic manager

Fantastic win, a real David v Goliath story. So many underdog teams will look at yesterday’s game and draw inspiration from what can be achieved through sheer determination and hard work.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,259 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

The best little breed in the world.

https://youtu.be/Zz_gOQJhwrM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

What about Mourneabbey. Lost three all Ireland ladies football finals and one semi final in the previous four years and finally won the final last Saturday evening. Population around a thousand people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭farmersfriend

has anyone recently applied for a tractor license fir a 16 year old, have got public service card, what do u do next, thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

and sheep movement dockets still have to be filled out in triplicate

• Registered Users Posts: 6,015 ✭✭✭emaherx

ganmo wrote: »
    and sheep movement dockets still have to be filled out in triplicate

Good enough for anyone on mad enough to keep them maggoty yolks!

If they could add in medication recording there would be little need for my Kingswood subscription!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,105 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

emaherx wrote: »

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,967 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

emaherx wrote: »

Ah no need to be jealous

Ah no need to be jealous

That's right..... There is no need...... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Sheepman2

has anyone recently applied for a tractor license fir a 16 year old, have got public service card, what do u do next, thanks

Get eye test and pass theory test then apply for tractor license in local NDLS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,270 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Sheepman2 wrote: »
    Get eye test and pass theory test then apply for tractor license in local NDLS

We had to wait 3 weeks to get an appointment in driving licence Centre. Or you can go in and wait and wait..... Eye test only valid for 3 weeks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement