Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So who's going to see the Pope?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,696 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Graces7 wrote: »
    "THE TAOISEACH HAS said that people who apply for tickets to see the Pope with the intention of not using them are “wrong, petty and mean-spirited”."

Here is the real set up..

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/more-than-30000-people-register-to-see-pope-at-rds-471798.html
    COULDN'T GIVE LESS of a fk what he says tbh.
    Unlike some I can think for myself and don't base my opinions on the beliefs of others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Just looked at the road closures and the city in going to be in lock down for the rest of us, isn't it. Can you drive into the city centre from the N3 or N4?
    P_1 wrote: »
    Yeah I'll be at the same event. One must wonder if they're attempting to discourage protest with all the closures.

Nope, I'd say that the closures are in place to try and facilitate the number of people that are attending the events and also to encourage people to use public transport.
    Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Bagged myself a few free tickets so me and family can avail of free transport to the event in solidarity with abuse survivors being organised by Colm O'Gorman.

Should be a great day.

I'd think twice about that. You are going to be in the minority, a huge minority. Have you ever been in a minority at an event and subject to the wrath of the majority? The most dedicated members of the RCC are going to be in Dublin on that day. Big man talk on an internet forum is one thing, having to stand up and do it in the real world is another.
    beauf wrote: »
    I'm amazed at the numbers they are expecting. I was expecting half the numbers.

The church will see this a validation to continue on their current self destructive path. No that I think much will deflect them from that path anyway.

I'm not amazed by the numbers. A huge majority of the population here still identify as RC. They are going to take this opportunity, a once in a lifetime opportunity, to see the leader of their church. The idea of buying tickets in protest has backfired now. A few thousand empty space is not going to be evident among a crowd of that size and it does provide the RCC and it's supporters with a really nice piece of ammo when people question the position of the RCC in Irish society.

Berserker wrote: »
    I'd think twice about that. You are going to be in the minority, a huge minority. Have you ever been in a minority at an event and subject to the wrath of the majority? The most dedicated members of the RCC are going to be in Dublin on that day. Big man talk on an internet forum is one thing, having to stand up and do it in the real world is another.
    Colm O'Gorman of Amnesty International - a human rights organisation - is running this peaceful protest.
    You can imply threats all you want but I will make it my business to be at the garden of remembrance, in solidarity with all those killed and abused by the church.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Just looked at the road closures and the city in going to be in lock down for the rest of us, isn't it. Can you drive into the city centre from the N3 or N4?

Nope, I'd say that the closures are in place to try and facilitate the number of people that are attending the events and also to encourage people to use public transport.

I'm not amazed by the numbers. A huge majority of the population here still identify as RC. They are going to take this opportunity, a once in a lifetime opportunity, to see the leader of their church. The idea of buying tickets in protest has backfired now. A few thousand empty space is not going to be evident among a crowd of that size and it does provide the RCC and it's supporters with a really nice piece of ammo when people question the position of the RCC in Irish society.

N3 and N4 will be closed from the M50 as far as I understand.

I assume you're referring to taking the free public transport as opposed to attending CoG's protest here.

If the catholic fundies decide to try show up there they wont be long being shown how the rest of us think of them

ELM327 wrote: »
    You can imply threats all you want but I will make it my business to be at the garden of remembrance, in solidarity with all those killed and abused by the church.

Great to read your determination to attend the protest and I wish you well. Just pointing out the fact that it could be a tough afternoon for you guys.
    P_1 wrote: »
    N3 and N4 will be closed from the M50 as far as I understand.

I assume you're referring to taking the free public transport as opposed to attending CoG's protest here.

Thanks for the info. That's a right pain. No, I'm talking about getting into work in one of the hospitals via those roads.

• Advertisement

Great to read your determination to attend the protest and I wish you well. Just pointing out the fact that it could be a tough afternoon for you guys. Is the pope visiting the garden of remembrance? Why is it being held there?
    It's ok, there's no access for A-Frames so 95% of the attendees for the pope can't attend anyway :)

It's held in the garden of remembrance to remember those abused, killed, raped and tortured to a life of slavery by the church. Endorsed by all including the current pope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Thanks for this little threat, you've just provided me with some additional motivation to attend the protest. The church has behaved despicably on a global scale in relation to abuse and O Gorman is one of the survivors of that abuse. So it's less so being a big man in the Internet and more to do with doing what is right.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

The wrath of the pensioners. Might be a real thing at polls, not so much when it comes to intimidation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller Returns

Of course O'Gorman the attention seeker has to be front and centre as usual.

COULDN'T GIVE LESS of a fk what he says tbh.
    Unlike some I can think for myself and don't base my opinions on the beliefs of others.

:D:D:D It's the most painfully trendy thing to be anti the Catholic Church these days. What an independent minded rebel you are!!

• Advertisement

Of course O'Gorman the attention seeker has to be front and centre as usual.

I don't think that's particularly fair. The man supports those who suffered abuse, so he has a right to protest against it. It's a proper shared event as well. Lots of groups getting involved in this on reading further. Going to be really good mix of people from all different backgrounds.

:D:D:D It's the most painfully trendy thing to be anti the Catholic Church these days. What an independent minded rebel you are!!
    I'll just leave this here. This is now the second time you've ignored yourself. Can't you just go away please. You're making a show of yourself.
    Ah so that's why you're so bitter. Yes, I think you're right. You continue your obsession with the Church and I'll get on with my day. Slán leat.

I don't think that's particularly fair. The man suffered abuse, so he has a right to protest against it. It's a proper shared event as well. Lots of groups getting involved in this on reading further. Going to be really good mix of people from all different backgrounds.

How do you know he was abused?

Disgusting.
    Absolutely disgusting.
    We've got a live one here, a catholic church abuse denier.

Disgusting.
    Absolutely disgusting.
    We've got a live one here, a catholic church abuse denier.

No need to get hysterical. I asked how you KNOW HE was abused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

It's a matter of public record. So try to have a bit of cop on before trying to claim that it's all made up. The diocese of Ferns admitted to it...
    https://www.rte.ie/news/2003/0409/37073-abuse01/

batgoat wrote: »
    It's a matter of public record. So try to have a bit of cop on before trying to claim that it's all made up. The diocese of Ferns admitted to it...
    https://www.rte.ie/news/2003/0409/37073-abuse01/

That doesn't prove anything. As far as I know, the priest who was accused never stood for trial

Pretty sure it went to court, guilt was admitted, an apology was issued and it was settled.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

That doesn't prove anything. As far as I know, the priest who was accused never stood for trial

Seriously?

That's just one of many cases.

While I am not one to go for protests, I have no doubt this and many other cases were not just made up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

He won damages in the courts for the abuse he suffered and an apology for the abuse he suffered was offered by the bishop of Ferns.

• Advertisement

No need to get hysterical. I asked how you KNOW HE was abused.
    WHO IS hysterical.
    The priest INVOLVED admitted it ffs.

Careful, you went full [REDACTED]... never go full [REDACTED]

What happened to slán leat?

Pretty sure it went to court, guilt was admitted, an apology was issued and it was settled.

The priest who was accused died before there was a trial.

WHO IS hysterical.
    The priest INVOLVED admitted it ffs.

Careful, you went full [REDACTED]... never go full [REDACTED]

Was the priest found guilty in a court of law?

I get that but it's pretty clear that it was accepted that he was abused. The church settled and issued an apology.

Was the priest found guilty in a court of law?
    http://www.irishsalem.com/individuals/accusers/colm-o-gorman/abusecasesettled-10apr03.php

Guilt admitted
    300k settlement

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Se%C3%A1n_Fortune

Either 29 rape victims were lying, or one low life who committed suicide to prevent justice for his victims was not.

I get that but it's pretty clear that it was accepted that he was abused. The church settled and issued an apology.

That doesn't mean anything. People settle cases all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

He didn't die, took his own life to escape consequences.

That's the way I see it.

If a terrorist kills himself before the trial does it mean he was innocent?

You haven't addressed this yet.

And why do they settle cases?

• Advertisement

You are disgusting.

Do you like little boys too?
    29 of them were raped by this animal. That we know of. Even more sad is that he ruined their lives so much that 2 of the 29 took their own lives. And none of the victims got to see justice as the coward committed suicide.

wonski wrote: »
    He didn't die, took his own life to escape consequences.

That's the way I see it.

If a terrorist kills himself before the trial does it mean he was innocent?
    +1

Advertisement