Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So who's going to see the Pope?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭pcuser

ELM327 wrote: »
    I've received so far my 18 privately booked tickets as an individual
    I have not yet received my block booked tickets of which there were approx 2000.

I wonder if these are issued elsewhere (or if I have given a different email address!)
    I received an email for my coach booking asking me to confirm my details which I have done. That's not incl all the other tickets I will be receiving on the 10th :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

They didn't say you were bullying me. You and the other fella have all the hallmarks of bullies. Even when plenty of people are calling you out for being dicks you just smugly reaffirm your intolerance because you get some perverse kick out of it.

Can you define the bullying you are referring to? I'm intrigued as to your understanding of the word.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,796 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

They didn't say you were bullying me. You and the other fella have all the hallmarks of bullies.
    They didnt say you were a "xxx", just you have all the hallmarks of "xxx"
    Well if it barks like a dog and walks like a dog, it's a dog. At least have the balls to own your accusations and back them up. You're just bandying about rubbish now.
    Please show an example where I have bullied you.
    Or better yet, report it !

Even when plenty of people are calling you out for being dicks you just smugly reaffirm your intolerance because you get some perverse kick out of it.
    Please point to an example on this thread where that is true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller Returns

iguana wrote: »
    The actual organisation of the church protects those bullies and pedophiles. If you support the church in it's current form you are de facto supporting that systematic protection of bullies and abusers. That's the reality of the situation. Anyone who is angry about what is still going on in that organisation is entirely justified, so calling someone angry isn't any kind of insult. It's just a recognition of a normal state of human emotion when confronted with such unrepentant evil.

Wrong. People within the organisation have done that, and any Catholic I know is against it. The Church is Jesus and Jesus is the Church. I wouldn't except angry atheists to understand this because they're busy whinging their alleged oppression. What about all the good things members of the Church have done? Of course you have no interest in that because you have an agenda.

Wrong. People within the organisation have done that, and any Catholic I know is against it. The Church is Jesus and Jesus is the Church. I wouldn't except angry atheists to understand this because they're busy whinging their alleged oppression. What about all the good things members of the Church have done? Of course you have no interest in that because you have an agenda.
    Back to this again.

The RCC uses the word "church" to mean the organisation. They use the word to represent their flock of believers too. As you know.

The organisation were actively raping children and abusing women. They were also covering it up. We've been over this.
    The flock of believers enabled them to do this with validation.

You're losing all credibility with this circular nonsense tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,091 ✭✭✭mikeecho

I've no interest in see the pope, nor have i any interest in the catholic church, but i don think that its mean for people to be block booking tickets that will never be used, just as a protest.

I understand where you're coming from, but this is not how a democratic society works.
    How would you like it, if the church (somehow) block voted everyone involved in religious activities in the referendums on Divorce/Same Sex marriage/ Abortion .

Let whoever wants to see the Pope, see the pope.

Personal choice.. free speech etc etc.

Don't be a Di ck and deprive someone of doing something (legal) off their own free will.

Why block book tickets to an event that you have no interest in.. Just staty at home, and watch netflix, rather than RTE/TV3

Thats what ill be doing

Back to this again.

The RCC uses the word "church" to mean the organisation. They use the word to represent their flock of believers too. As you know.

The organisation were actively raping children and abusing women. They were also covering it up. We've been over this.
    The flock of believers enabled them to do this with validation.

You're losing all credibility with this circular nonsense tbh.

What is this bollix. You seem to spend your life on this thread throwing out mass generalisations about things you clearly don't understand. I said the Church comprises more than just the people in the Vatican. It includes priests in Central America who fought for the rights of poor people who were being brutalised by their own government. Or the thousands of Catholics priests, like my uncle, who lives in the poorest part of the Phillipines, providing education and healthcare to people who have nothing. It's very easy for you to sneer at people endlessly while playing your playstation, but there are many within the Church doing great work.

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    Can you define the bullying you are referring to? I'm intrigued as to your understanding of the word.

I would call it bullying and mean spirited to deliberately attempt to stop people attending an event that you know is important to them. I think abortion is disgusting but I wouldn't purposefully buy tickets to a pro-choice event to deprive people from going.

I would call it bullying and mean spirited to deliberately attempt to stop people attending an event that you know is important to them. I think abortion is disgusting but I wouldn't purposefully buy tickets to a pro-choice event to deprive people from going.

So it's just a defination you have come up? Grand so.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Wrong. People within the organisation have done that, and any Catholic I know is against it. The Church is Jesus and Jesus is the Church. I wouldn't except angry atheists to understand this because they're busy whinging their alleged oppression.

I don't doubt that the vast, vast majority of people who identify as Catholic, whether through true belief or as part of a cultural identity, are against child abuse and bullying. Of course they are, they are ordinary human beings in possession of a normal sense of empathy. But it doesn't change the fact that if they support an organisation, that is on an institutional level covering up for and protecting abusers, they are supporting that cover up. It's obviously not their intention of supporting abusers but it is still what they are in fact doing.

• Advertisement

What if it was an event funded by your taxes? It's not bullying anyway.
    Collins defines bullying as the following, none of which is done by someone taking a free ticket, which is funded by my taxes anyway.

the repeated use of threats or violence in an attempt to harm or intimidate others
    What is this bollix. You seem to spend your life on this thread throwing out mass generalisations about things you clearly don't understand. I said the Church comprises more than just the people in the Vatican. It includes priests in Central America who fought for the rights of poor people who were being brutalised by their own government. Or the thousands of Catholics priests, like my uncle, who lives in the poorest part of the Phillipines, providing education and healthcare to people who have nothing. It's very easy for you to sneer at people endlessly while playing your playstation, but there are many within the Church doing great work.

I haven't played a playstation in 20 years.....
    Actually no wait this drivel isn't even worthy of a reply. You clearly cannot grasp the simple concept (or are choosing to ignore it). Either way, I'm not wasting time replying to you any further.

My father in law was a priest. Now, let that sink in for a second. Arent priests supposed to be celibate? :rolleyes:
    What was the church's response (and I've seen the letters to and from the vatican)? Move parish and abandon the mother. Very caring.

What if it was an event funded by your taxes? It's not bullying anyway.
    Collins defines bullying as the following, none of which is done by someone taking a free ticket, which is funded by my taxes anyway.

I haven't played a playstation in 20 years.....
    Actually no wait this drivel isn't even worthy of a reply. You clearly cannot grasp the simple concept (or are choosing to ignore it). Either way, I'm not wasting time replying to you any further.

My father in law was a priest. Now, let that sink in for a second. Arent priests supposed to be celibate? :rolleyes:
    What was the church's response (and I've seen the letters to and from the vatican)? Move parish and abandon the mother. Very caring.

Ah so that's why you're so bitter. Yes, I think you're right. You continue your obsession with the Church and I'll get on with my day. Slán leat.

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    So it's just a defination you have come up? Grand so.
    Certainly doesn't align with the dictionary definition.
    https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/bullying

iguana wrote: »
    I don't doubt that the vast, vast majority of people who identify as Catholic, whether through true belief or as part of a cultural identity, are against child abuse and bullying. Of course they are, they are ordinary human beings in possession of a normal sense of empathy. But it doesn't change the fact that if they support an organisation, that is on an institutional level covering up for and protecting abusers, they are supporting that cover up. It's obviously not their intention of supporting abusers but it is still what they are in fact doing.
    This should be clear to any even moderately capable person. It's not up for debate.
    Pedo guy - to borrow Elon's terminology - seems to pretend he doesn't get it.

Ah so that's why you're so bitter. Yes, I think you're right. You continue your obsession with the Church and I'll get on with my day. Slán leat.
    You're the one that continues posting drivel that is being repeatedly debunked by many on thread.

This is the second time you've said goodbye to posting in response to me. Let's hope you mean it this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Are they taking the piss with all these road closures? Sorry but he's doing a mass in Croker and in the Park. why is half of the city being closed down?

https://www.joe.ie/life-style/pope-visit-road-closures-635757

Yeah that's ridiculous.
    I'll be heading to the event organised by Colm O'Gorman on the 26th. Hopefully the road closures for the head p[REDACTED]e doesn't stop me getting to that event.

Sometimes I'm really disgusted by the country I live in. This is one of those times.

Yeah I'll be at the same event. One must wonder if they're attempting to discourage protest with all the closures.

No, I wouldn't even go if it was free and in next door's garden, if it was (in next door's garden), I would move away until it was over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Do you agree that the highest echelons of the Vatican engaged in a systemic international coverup?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Yeah that's ridiculous.
    I'll be heading to the event organised by Colm O'Gorman on the 26th. Hopefully the road closures for the head p[REDACTED]e doesn't stop me getting to that event.

Sometimes I'm really disgusted by the country I live in. This is one of those times.

There will be diversions but you should get in OK. I'm going into that too. Don't forget it's free on public transport if you have a ticket;)

• Advertisement

eviltwin wrote: »
    There will be diversions but you should get in OK. I'm going into that too. Don't forget it's free on public transport if you have a ticket;)
    Oh i know, I have several tickets don't worry.

There's a BE bus straight from my front door practically, to Busaras and I intend to walk from there. Wearing my Repeal hoody of course. :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 2,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chorcai

I'd prefer to have "alleged" oppression rather than religious repression any day of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Bagged myself a few free tickets so me and family can avail of free transport to the event in solidarity with abuse survivors being organised by Colm O'Gorman.

Should be a great day.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,171 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

P_1 wrote: »
    Are they taking the piss with all these road closures? Sorry but he's doing a mass in Croker and in the Park. why is half of the city being closed down?

Because he has to get from one to the other by road.
    Most of the streets on that list are small adjoiinng streets to major roads.

Plus they have to stop people trying to bring private cars to the Park and allow the public transport get to it.

spurious wrote: »
    Because he has to get from one to the other by road.
    Most of the streets on that list are small adjoiinng streets to major roads.

Plus they have to stop people trying to bring private cars to the Park and allow the public transport get to it.

A fair point. Are they only closed to cars I wonder. It will be less of a bitter pill to swallow if they maintained pedestrian and cycling access.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

It would be hilarious if they sort out a problem that doesnt exist.
    We don't know how many tickets are "protest tickets".
    Many people in the facebook protests block booked 3-5000 tickets. It's wholly possible that 50k or even 100k of the bookings are not actually going.

"THE TAOISEACH HAS said that people who apply for tickets to see the Pope with the intention of not using them are “wrong, petty and mean-spirited”."

Here is the real set up..

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/more-than-30000-people-register-to-see-pope-at-rds-471798.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

P_1 wrote: »

What about local access? I'm in Chapelizod, seems like everywhere in a 5 mile radius is just shut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Nixonbot wrote: »
    What about local access? I'm in Chapelizod, seems like everywhere in a 5 mile radius is just shut.

Seems like everything is closed down on Sunday at least. Seems a bit over kill. That said I remember in '79 the roads were full of people walking then from early morning to late at night.

Graces7 wrote:
    "THE TAOISEACH HAS said that people who apply for tickets to see the Pope with the intention of not using them are “wrong, petty and mean-spiritedâ€."

Could care less what Leo thinks or says.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I'm amazed at the numbers they are expecting. I was expecting half the numbers.I suppose it's like Xmas mass where lots of people turn up who have no connection with the church the rest of the year.

The irony being the one thing most people hate is mass. This will be the longest most pita mass ever and people are flocking to it. Even if it's 50% of the numbers in '79.

The church will see this a validation to continue on their current self destructive path. No that I think much will deflect them from that path anyway.

Advertisement