Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone else get sick at the thought of working for the next 40 years?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

donaleire wrote: »
    I would have become a plumber or an electrician if I had a crystal ball ten years ago.
    You still can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

seannash wrote: »
    Par for the course.
    What did you find interesting and would like people to expand on.
    My two cents are

Small mortgage and start contributing into a pension fund now while you are young if you haven't already.

I wont tell you to find a job you love because to be honest thats basic common sense but isn't always achievable.
    If you are not tied down I suggest you travel. You don't need to quit your job to travel but if you can I would for a year or two.
    If you cant quit travel for 3 weeks if your company allows it. But try to think a little outside the norm (Borneo,sri Lanka, Philippines, south America)
    Travel to places where you can do experiences not just lie by a pool.

You may have the dreary job but if your life outside of it is fulfilling you will not mind it as much.

The quarter life crisis sounds like that could be it.

And the getting a passion for something too. I don't really have anything I dedicate time too. I go to the gym to lose weight but that feels like a chore.

Theres lots of things I half arse, like working on arduino or learning a software.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

Wonder what do ppl who get sick of the thought of working for next 40 years think about being a spouse for 40 years (marriage certificate can be seen as another type of contract, no ?), or even being a parent for life ...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

mvl wrote: »
    Wonder what do ppl who get sick of the thought of working for next 40 years think about being a spouse for 40 years (marriage certificate can be seen as another type of contract, no ?), or even being a parent for life ...

Well, I suppose you don't have to get married and you don't have to be a parent. to a certain extent you have to work to support yourself but plenty of people can survive on benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

Sure what else would ya being doing on a rainy Tuesday in October. You'd be bores without a job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

The clues are in an earlier link to MMM website.
    If you want to escape early, you can.
    PM me, as I am part of that cult.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

Ya OP full time work is sh1te, I am out of it on Friday for a bit if not forever, looking for 10 to 20 hours pw when the summer is over, you are better off working for low wages / PT where it is cheap to live and work than working just to go to work. I recently worked out that going to work cost me about 80% of my wages and that a few hours packing shelves local to me would be more profitable and possibly enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

randomrb wrote: »
    This I agree with but it clashes with your previous statements. By you saying that we are all the way we are because of our surroundings it allows people to say that there is nothing they can do to change things. and that more than anything does not give them a reason to live and improve their lot no matter how good or bad it is to begin with

Improving your lot is not what my posts are about. Finding what actually makes you happy, rather than believing what the world wants you to think provides happiness is what my posts relate towards. If you can figure that out then you can be alive enough to do what you actually want. That applies not only to people struggling to get by but the people lost chasing things that are never gonna make them happy. Both are sleeping walking, just in different ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭ArnieSilvia

OP, everything in life takes time. Be patient, find that work is a means to achieve your goals, either at work or outside.

Career is a process, it doesn't happen overnight. You'll find your niche but it might be in 10 or 15 years.

In today's world, where everything is a click away, work becomes a strange phenomenon where one needs to make actual effort and friends won't jump in to give you a hug, you won't get likes and similar BS.

I don't watch TV or use FB, have plenty of interests and fulfilling job. I actually want to work so I can fulfill my interests within and outside of it.

OP, everything in life takes time. Be patient, find that work is a means to achieve your goals, either at work or outside.

Career is a process, it doesn't happen overnight. You'll find your niche but it might be in 10 or 15 years.

In today's world, where everything is a click away, work becomes a strange phenomenon where one needs to make actual effort and friends won't jump in to give you a hug, you won't get likes and similar BS.

I don't watch TV or use FB, have plenty of interests and fulfilling job. I actually want to work so I can fulfill my interests within and outside of it.

Funny I don't either. Most of the books, films, music etc I increasing want to experience are ones that either challenge my views or ones from which I draw a connection to the artist. Much of the entertainment we provide now is about turning your brain off. Is life that bad?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Funny I don't either. Most of the books, films, music etc I increasing want to experience are ones that either challenge my views or ones from which I draw a connection to the artist. Much of the entertainment we provide now is about turning your brain off. Is life that bad?

Challenge your views? That sounds very high brow. People have been escaping from reality by telling stories around campfires since time began.

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Challenge your views? That sounds very high brow. People have been escaping from reality by telling stories around campfires since time began.

Yes, because reality is hard so they want to escape. That will be true for everyone at tough times during their lives of which everyone experiences even on a day to day basis due to the pressures of life. The amount though to which people want to turn their brains off these days is indicative of just how bad things have become. Why don't we try making reality better so people don't want to escape so much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,110 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

....... wrote:

Err emmm how?

....... wrote:

So people's imaginations would miraculously just stop?

....... wrote: »

I don't understand what you mean. Creativity lies in almost all aspects of life. Cultivating that creativity comes from getting people to turn on the brain, think for themselves and using the power of the mind. We would rather though sit without much thought turning it off which is what stuns its grow. When you sit around a campfire as one poster suggested, your mind is challenged to create the story being told in your head. It turns it on. We sedate, turn it off. Anyway, I'm out. I can't fall down another rabbit hole of this stuff today :)

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭mark_jmc

as someone who had a life threatening illness almost 3 years ago i'm delighted that i'll be around to work for another 20+ years. That said I like my job, I'm well paid and my wife and I plan to retire at 60 (20 years time)

I suppose it very much depends on circumstance how as individuals we view this

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I would get sicker of the thought of sitting on my arse for the next 30 odd years.

• Advertisement

....... wrote: »

sorry but i find that very odd logic, have we any proof of such an opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Lux23 wrote: »
    I would get sicker of the thought of sitting on my arse for the next 30 odd years.

It's not really the desire for sitting on your arse though for me.

It's the freedom. Being able to leisurely tidy up the garden or powerwash the path or walk the dog. Deciding it's a nice day and you feel like a cycle.

With work, everything has to be planned for a certain time. I can't just decide I am going to the shop to get compost because that's more time lost and you wouldn't get it done.

It's nearly impossible to meet with friends anymore as we are spread all over. Travelling hours to meet them on weekends just takes up your whole time and can't do other things like chores.

Feels like a constant firefighting exercise. Internet down? Gotta spend a couple hours trying to get a tech to fix it. Evening gone and you have to get food, gym, chores, get clothes ready for next day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Pussyhands wrote: »

It's the freedom. Being able to leisurely tidy up the garden or powerwash the path or walk the dog. Deciding it's a nice day and you feel like a cycle.

With work, everything has to be planned for a certain time. I can't just decide I am going to the shop to get compost because that's more time lost and you wouldn't get it done.

It's nearly impossible to meet with friends anymore as we are spread all over. Travelling hours to meet them on weekends just takes up your whole time and can't do other things like chores.

Feels like a constant firefighting exercise. Internet down? Gotta spend a couple hours trying to get a tech to fix it. Evening gone and you have to get food, gym, chores, get clothes ready for next day.

It really sounds like you have to sort out your time management but make sure its flexible enough to accommodate unexpected situations. Don't look at every situation as 'If I do this, I won't be able to do that! Grrr!'

Make time for meeting friends and appreciate those moments - if you're chores don't get done right there and then, they can be done later. I've lost a couple of friends over the years and not meeting them enough is what saddens me, not that I didn't get to do my chores when I met up with them.

Use as little social media as possible, it sucks away your life gazing at other people's vain attempts at fooling those around them in thinking that their life is rich, full and interesting. It's not. It's the same shuffle around the sun that everybody has.

Try not to look at everything as an obstacle to living and accept that all of it is actually life and living. Appreciate the things you enjoy and figure out the ways to changes you don't.

Also, always put duvet covers inside their respective pillow cases when putting them away because that tip is the bomb and will help you to achieve a state zen-like being

Pussyhands wrote: »

I know what you mean, maybe you need to consider finding a job where you can take longer holidays. Universities and similar places often allow non-academic staff work a shorter year so that you can take two months off in summer-time. I am sure other sectors do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

It really sounds like you have to sort out your time management but make sure its flexible enough to accommodate unexpected situations. Don't look at every situation as 'If I do this, I won't be able to do that! Grrr!'

Yes time management will allow the OP to do what he wants when he wants.
    Use as little social media as possible, it sucks away your life gazing at other people's vain attempts at fooling those around them in thinking that their life is rich, full and interesting. It's not. It's the same shuffle around the sun that everybody has.

Irony..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Irony..?

What's the irony?

What's the irony?

You're posting on a form of social media.

Although I do agree with you, I worked with some people that were always moaning about how much they had to do, and they were always on their phone!!

Lux23 wrote: »
    You're posting form of social media.

Although I do agree with you, I worked with some people that were always moaning about how much they had to do, and they were always on their phone!!

we potentially could be back to escapism again

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭ArnieSilvia

By not watching TV, FB and certain YouTube channels I don't desire things that I can't or won't afford, which in turn makes me appreciate what I have and enjoy my time. I chose what to read or watch. If I'm in a mood for film there's Netflix. I don't need "coke and popcorn" with it. I don't follow pop culture, have my own dress style and I accept myself the way I am.

Of course, it would be nicer to work less hours. Who wouldn't like that? Looking at people in general, I can see that less hours at work would actually bring more problems than benefits, though. Many people have no interests or hobbies at all, which could end up in depression.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

By not watching TV, FB and certain YouTube channels I don't desire things that I can't or won't afford, which in turn makes me appreciate what I have and enjoy my time. I chose what to read or watch. If I'm in a mood for film there's Netflix. I don't need "coke and popcorn" with it. I don't follow pop culture, have my own dress style and I accept myself the way I am.

Of course, it would be nicer to work less hours. Who wouldn't like that? Looking at people in general, I can see that less hours at work would actually bring more problems than benefits, though. Many people have no interests or hobbies at all, which could end up in depression.
    For someone with such a strong sense of self you must be very susceptible to marketing and persuasion if you avoid TV and Facebook so as to not desire meaningless objects.
    I seem to be managing just fine and I consume these mediums. In fact YouTube is where I find alot of interesting debated and alternative views so in a way you are denying yourself the right to being exposed to new ideas by avoiding it.
    Not sure why coke and popcorn is relevant, as if somehow enjoying the watching a movie equates to someone being hoodwinked into wanting these items. Can't they just make the experience of watching a movie a little bit more pleasurable for some and if so what's wrong with that.

I do agree with you that people need a sense of purpose and if they have no hobbies then work can provide that for them

Advertisement