Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone else get sick at the thought of working for the next 40 years?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭ArnieSilvia

I'll explain my approach this way - it's not complicated at all. I studied business, know marketing strategies, was very successful in sales and business development. What you are fed in TV and by marketing in general is the desire to own and consume. I prefer to make my own choices and enjoy my life according to my abilities, including financial and career ones. I do my research and make informed decisions rather than following hype.

Don't take me wrong, I use YouTube but use it with full awareness of what's going on. I also expand my horizons there and watch interesting people. There's an ocean of difference between watching something and actually doing it, say I like drift cars, had built one from bare shell the way I liked it. Other person would watch videos of others having fun and never do anything about it bar being unhappy and frustrated that they can't/won't have one. I just watch it to get some ideas/techniques that I could implement myself.

I could expand more on that but I try to focus my responses on the OP and sense of being unhappy at work/life

As people said here on boards many times, job is what one makes out of it.

Ironically, I'd recommend the OP Simon Sinek's videos on YouTube including the infamous "the millennial question" among others.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Ironically, I'd recommend the OP Simon Sinek's videos on YouTube including the infamous "the millennial question" among others.

Personally I find pandering to millennial's which he suggests not the solution.
    He places no accountability on the individuals. He also thinks companies are not moving with the times which is wrong. There has been a massive push in companies discussing and implimenting practices around wellness and wellbeing as well as trying to offer a better work life balance.
    That being said work still needs to get done and the people who can get over the "Issues" facing millennial these days will progress further than those who cant. If that interests you great, if not that's fine too.
    And the people who realise this will be the ones who set policies and expectations for the companies for the next 50 years.

Hes a little too victim based in my opinion.

In my opinion Jordan Peterson has a much more realistic view on how you should cope with the situations millennial face.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

This thread appears suited more for After Hours. Wonder if it should move ...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

mvl wrote: »
    This thread appears suited more for After Hours. Wonder if it should move ...

It can probably be closed now.

I am glad I am not feeling alone in this, regards work.

Those who say I am poor at time management. I would disagree. I don't have any hobbies or things that take up lots of time in the evenings. We all need rest though. After a day of going 100mph with your brain in work, I think I need at least a couple of hours a day to zone out and not think about anything.

I also don't live near my family so going every 2/3 weekends there takes time away too, adding travel time etc.

Well folks, 6 months on and it's still sickening thinking I'm going to be stuck working in a cubicle for the next 40 years.

I was looking forward to christmas for so long at the end of the year. Now it's over and don't have any break to look forward to. I always take two weeks off in the summer so that's 6/7 months away, then another week at christmas and then a weeks holidays will be taken up by a few ad hoc days here and there. Nothing major.

As jobs go I don't think it's bad, it's just the thought of being stuck in a cubicle for 40 more years. Nearly 9 hours a day sitting in a cubicle. It's like being on house arrest. So much of my time is spent in a cubicle.

The only thing that keeps me going is the hope of not doing it one day...somehow running a good business or hitting it big with a blog or winning the lotto or investing in something and hitting the big time or something. Reality is these things have probably a .01% chance of happening at best and I'll be still in a cubicle in 10 years time.

I feel like I'm just coasting along with no difference from one day to the next, wishing the days are over until the next weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

Pussyhands wrote: »
    I feel like I'm just coasting along with no difference from one day to the next, wishing the days are over until the next weekend.

You need to find meaning in your life outside of work. Something that gives you enough of a sense of well being that going to work doesnt matter - just a necessary evil to allow you to do the thing that gives you meaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

The only thing that keeps me going is the hope of not doing it one day...somehow running a good business or hitting it big with a blog or winning the lotto or investing in something and hitting the big time or something. Reality is these things have probably a .01% chance of happening at best and I'll be still in a cubicle in 10 years time.

Reality check - YOU are the only person that can make this happen. Stop feeling sorry for yourself and make a 3/5/10 year life plan to work towards. Success doesnt come easy and it certainly is not accidental.

A plan without a goal is just a wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Keep working...generations of welfare careerists are depending on you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Well folks, 6 months on and it's still sickening thinking I'm going to be stuck working in a cubicle for the next 40 years.

I was looking forward to christmas for so long at the end of the year. Now it's over and don't have any break to look forward to. I always take two weeks off in the summer so that's 6/7 months away, then another week at christmas and then a weeks holidays will be taken up by a few ad hoc days here and there. Nothing major.

As jobs go I don't think it's bad, it's just the thought of being stuck in a cubicle for 40 more years. Nearly 9 hours a day sitting in a cubicle. It's like being on house arrest. So much of my time is spent in a cubicle.

Take some succour in the fact that roughly 80% of the Irish workforce are disengaged with their work and just in it for the pay cheque.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,089 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Again, don’t live to work, work to live. If it’s a stress fest and you don’t like the people you work with get the fûck out of there.

Agree a shift, when the clock strikes leaving time.. leave !!! The more flexible you are the more most companies are inclined to want and EXPECT. Of not just you....EVERYONE. They need overtime and flexibility they will ask the person most likely to do it first.

Read and understand your contract and never deviate from it. They want something else ? Don’t just agree off the bat, consult colleagues. Remember when you need a holiday leave at short notice the favour has to work both ways. If they decline without good reason, their request for assistance when it comes MUST be denied too. Messages are delivered with action in the workplace NOT words across a table.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Seems to me you are in an unsuitable line of work. Maybe an outdoor job or something with a bit of variety in your actual physical workspace would suit you better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭cute geoge

The trouble is you get fairly sick of working in shlte weather outdoors too .Some days i often wonder would an easy peasy job in a warehouse picking orders regular hours be the finest ,no stress just tip away .I suppose if you owned the world you would get sick of that as well!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

cute geoge wrote: »
    The trouble is you get fairly sick of working in shlte weather outdoors too .Some days i often wonder would an easy peasy job in a warehouse picking orders regular hours be the finest ,no stress just tip away .I suppose if you owned the world you would get sick of that as well!!!

From personal experience I can assure you that this is far from being the case.

cute geoge wrote: »

A job with some variety is good. A friend of mine had a saying which I never understood until recently...’routine is lethal’.

A piece of advice.... don’t try and pick a job you CAN do, search for a career that you WANT to do. That might mean taking time out to retrain, do a course or whatever. It will be worth the time, effort and expense in the long run and mean it will set you up to something that will appeal to your interests as well as your wallet.

Strumms wrote: »
    A piece of advice.... don’t try and pick a job you CAN do, search for a career that you WANT to do. That might mean taking time out to retrain, do a course or whatever. It will be worth the time, effort and expense in the long run and mean it will set you up to something that will appeal to your interests as well as your wallet.

This is the bit I have trouble with.

I feel that I would get sick of any job if I had to do it for 40 years. That goes for packing bags in a supermarket to brain surgery - everything becomes drudge if you HAVE to do it every day.

I also think it can be very difficult for people who depend on what they get paid to retrain and start at the bottom again - the mortgage needs to be paid.

I think your working environment is crucial too, not just the actual job. If you don’t get along with your supervisor / some of your colleagues it can mean the EFFORT required just to get through the day / week can be colossal to the effect of impacting your health and wellbeing. Change is good too, it’s ok to take some time out from your career and reevaluate where you are going / what you are doing... be it a few months or a year. You will come back with a clearer plan, rested, de-stressed. I give this advice from experience of having done the above. And by the way I’d rather be struggling with the mortgage then a hospital bill because I didn’t know when to quit.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

....... wrote: »
    I feel that I would get sick of any job if I had to do it for 40 years. That goes for packing bags in a supermarket to brain surgery - everything becomes drudge if you HAVE to do it every day.

That is not my experience, having qualified as CA with one of the big 4 accounting companies, I walked a way as I decided it was not for me. In stead I have spent the last 30 years working as a software engineer and I still get the same kick out of seeing the code I have written come to life today as I did back then. And I know many other developers of my age (55) who feel the same. Perhaps because it is a creative process, it may be different.

You need to find something that you find interesting and get a kick out of doing. Sure there will always be a few tasks that you don't like in any job, but over all it should be fun.
    ....... wrote: »
    I also think it can be very difficult for people who depend on what they get paid to retrain and start at the bottom again - the mortgage needs to be paid.

To an extent this is true. But if you really want to do it, then you will find a way. There are always part time courses and volunteer work to get some experience.

Jim2007 wrote: »
    That is not my experience, having qualified as CA with one of the big 4 accounting companies, I walked a way as I decided it was not for me. In stead I have spent the last 30 years working as a software engineer and I still get the same kick out of seeing the code I have written come to life today as I did back then. And I know many other developers of my age (55) who feel the same. Perhaps because it is a creative process, it may be different.

That actually IS what I do and I was sick of it within the first year. Although I do know plenty of people who still get a kick out of it - I know more who have burned out doing it and moved on.

I think different people react to work differently too, some people are able to do the same thing for years and continue to get a kick out of it, others (like me) get sick of it and consider it drudge after a reasonably short period of time.

I remember making a throwaway comment to a consultant urologist I was seeing for something a year or so ago and he looked horrified that someone would think that all jobs are a drudge if you have to do it. He said that his job still excites him (he was in his 60s). I told him that that was great for him, but he is in a minority there. I really believe that too.

For me I think there are a few elements to it.
    1 - having to do it. I HAVE to work. I find it difficult to enjoy any work with that thought. Its always something i am just doing because I have to. If I won the lotto - I would quit my job instantly. And never work again.
    2 - I feel like I work to make a grey haired old man richer - that has been true of every job Ive ever had (not just software development)
    3 - The sameness, the drudge, sitting at a desk writing code, or scanning items at a checkout - doesnt matter to me - same drudge daily
    4 - office politics - I hate it. I hate being forced to deal with difficult people.
    5 - there is no other aspect of my life where I have done the same thing all the time - I change what I eat, my gym routine, where I go on holidays, where I live, what I drive etc... but work is same same same.
    6 - I genuinely cannot think of ANY job I could retrain to do where I wouldnt get bored after a period of time. Ive been thinking about this for 25 years and I am no further along!

To an extent this is true. But if you really want to do it, then you will find a way. There are always part time courses and volunteer work to get some experience.

With respect, I study outside of work to give my life meaning, but if I had to work at the things I study, id come to find them boring and a drudge in time too.

You need to find something that you find interesting and get a kick out of doing. Sure there will always be a few tasks that you don't like in any job, but over all it should be fun.

You're lucky that something you love is also a very well paid profession.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,400 ✭✭✭NSAman

Doing the same thing. I mean, getting up early in the morning, doing a full days work, giving away the best hours of the day. Coming back, not really being able to do anything major.

Weekends spent trying to rest as you're bollixed from the week.

20 days off a year.

Stuck at a desk all day, probably leading to health problems later on.

The hope of not doing it keeps me going but deep down the likliehood is I'll have to keep working.
    Jaysus you DO know that life is about living.

You work hard and develop something for yourself and not only for "the man".

There are no rules in this life. You can do whatever you like.

As someone who has traveled the world, worked in a multitude of jobs, had vast experience of living in different countries and currently work in a job that I love.... it means you have choice.

You can either stay in a job and see it from your current eyes.... OR... (god forbid) make life interesting and try new things.... you never know where you will end up (as I have done).

Why do I get a feeling you are gonna end up on the dole? (ducking)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

The only thing that keeps me going is the hope of not doing it one day...somehow running a good business or hitting it big with a blog or winning the lotto or investing in something and hitting the big time or something.

What business?
    What blog topic?
    what investments?

not trying to be an asshole but bloggers and business owners work probably longer hours than anyone. I know the life of bloggers looks glam but you are your product. You have to pump out content every day. Well researched videos/articles 3-4 times a week. Learn how to film, how to edit, how to sound engineer...

If you don't like what you do, why do you do it? Why not try and get a job somewhere else? Why not go back to college? why not do a part-time course i nthe evenings in something you're interested in? No offense but if all you're planning on doing is staying in the same job and 'hoping' you'll get lucky you'll end up really quickly being an old man (don't know why I assume you're a guy tbh) by the time you're 30.

I really like my job. Do I love it? Not quite. Is it good money? Yeah it's ok, nothing special but it pays the bills. Would I give it up if I won the lotto? Probably. Was it easy to get here? God no. I worked my ass off in college, thought I wanted one career, didn't suit me, tried another, didn't suit me. Out of work for a good chunk of the recession. Managed to chill in this job for a few years before getting bored and so now I'm doing a PHD part-time.

What I'm saying is doing the same thing (ie staying in a job you hate and moaning about it) but expecting different results is just stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Agree about bloggers, looks like a really hard but rewarding job and does look glamorous, but Id say its a lot of pressure, if it was so easy everyone would be doing it
    But its very difficult to be considered interesting and entertaining to thousands of people

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭skallywag

If I had to do the same old same old every day then I would be bored to tears and I genuinely sympathize with anyone who finds themselves in that situation.

In my own case I encounter different types of problems to solve every day, which involve different disciplines and different methods. Sometimes we even need to invent the methods (-: I'm also quite lucky in that I work with a great bunch of people who are willing to share their expertise and teach you things which are way removed from my own education.

Those that are in jobs they like what are they? I know one or two happy at work everyone else seems to hate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

40yrs, you'll be lucky. Expect to be replaced by the Autobot 2000 before too long.
    Then welcome yourself to the gig economy, coupled with hyper-inflation UBI soup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

I only plan to work for 18 more lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

I hate my job which is very public facing, but I like my colleagues, everybody pulls their weight and my hours and working conditions are good. I never have to stay a minute after my finish time, and have never experienced workplace bullying unlike some posters here who have horrific stories. In those terms I'm lucky and will acknowledge that, but the job itself just wrecks my head.

If I won the lotto OP, I too would never work again, just develop some hobbies, and volunteer at a cat shelter and play with kittens all day :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

Those that are in jobs they like what are they? I know one or two happy at work everyone else seems to hate it.

I work in internal audit and I like my job. Other people would hate it I know that but I really enjoy what I do and the company I work with. That's the thing, just because one person likes it, doesn't mean anyone else will.
    What business?
    What blog topic?
    what investments?

not trying to be an asshole but bloggers and business owners work probably longer hours than anyone. I know the life of bloggers looks glam but you are your product. You have to pump out content every day. Well researched videos/articles 3-4 times a week. Learn how to film, how to edit, how to sound engineer...

Just on this for bloggers - a couple of the ones I've followed (predominately UK based in fairness) have done videos/posts on the realities of their job and it's not as glamorous as it can seem. There's a lot of background admin before you even get into the fun of learning to film and edit videos. It's also a completely uncertain career so getting mortgage approval is difficult (one had to provide 5 years of accounts as a blogger to prove repayment ability and that was with their partner who has a "normal" job). A lot of bloggers only make the leap to it being a full time career after a number of years of building up a readership base and a following because otherwise they won't get the income to make it sustainable.

As for business owners/sole traders - I've seen this first hand and, similar to bloggers, you really have to have a passion for what you do. There's a lot of accounting work and admin that you end up doing at what would normally be downtime (evenings and weekends) because you don't get the time to deal with that during the working day to the same degree. It's a hard slog but worth it if it's something you really want to do.

Essentially if you feel like you're stuck in a rut with work and want one those options, grand but realise that the grass isn't always greener and there's a lot of work that goes into the front that is seen. But realistically if you don't like what's going on in your life with work, you are the only one who can change it but wishing, hoping and moaning ain't going to do that. Move - you are not a tree!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I work in the voluntary sector in policy & research. It's really varied, my brain gets activated and my team and boss in particular are really sound and easy to work with.

I will honestly never forgive the school 'guidance counsellor' though, because I really didn't understand that you don't need to study 'school subjects' in college. Like, the variety of jobs and careers we were told about was laughable. I didn't even know there was a charity sector, or that you could get involved with policy, politics, all that. I floundered for years because of it, if I'm honest. Love what I do now but if I'd had that knowledge earlier I'd be easily 10 years ahead in my career than where i am now.

Advertisement