Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drought/Low Rainfall Watch - Summer 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Dublin probably needs about another 100mm of rain to reach its normal summer rainfall total. And May's rainfall was also quite low although March and April's were above normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Do we need average rainfall to have no soil moisture deficits and no water shortages or does "average" provide a lot of surplus ?

Or, if rainfall remains below average is it still possible to replenish reserves?

I think average soil moisture deficit for this time.of year (or at least a month ago) are around 20-30 mm, so to have no deficit would be too far the other way. See that report that Met Éireann recently released on the heatwave.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,512 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Hosepipe ban has been extended to September 30th for Dublin, Louth, Meath, Kildare, Kilkenny, Laois, Offaly, Westmeath, Carlow, Wicklow, Wexford, Waterford, Cork, Kerry, Limerick and Tipperary.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2018/0828/988077-irish-water/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Shambles of a country when you consider all the rain we get. Why does it always take a wake up call for anything to be done? We are so reactionary it's frightening.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

MidMan25 wrote: »
    Shambles of a country when you consider all the rain we get. Why does it always take a wake up call for anything to be done? We are so reactionary it's frightening.

Maybe if we brought in a water utility, that charged people for their usage of water, which can then use this money to repair the aging water network in Ireland. Why so reactionary indeed...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Maybe if we brought in a water utility, that charged people for their usage of water, which can then use this money to repair the aging water network in Ireland. Why so reactionary indeed...

Maybe if the 2 billion euro + all the bonuses they were getting was used to repair the pipes instead of charging people already burdened down by high tax rates it could have been fixed..

But thats an issue for another thread, not here. :)

As for water levels, while its been raining a lot in Cork and the south in general, the fact Cork Airport has recorded its dryest summer in recorded history shows why its still an issue. The rain we have had hasn't been enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,334 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

These are current total rainfalls May through August for various locations, only a small amount is expected to be added to these totals before August ends on Friday night. Rainfalls in mm.

LOCATION ____ TOTAL ___ 1981-2010 NORMAL ____ % to date __ % with 2 mm added

Casement _____ 106.6 _____ 248.1 _____________ 43 _________ 44

Dublin (A) _____ 110.7 _____ 255.7 _____________ 43 _________ 44

Oak Park ______ 110.8 _____ 251.2 _____________ 44 _________ 45

Johnstown C ___ 144.1 _____ 296.7 _____________ 48 _________ 49

Mullingar ______ 150.5 _____ 300.2 _____________ 50 _________ 51

Dunsany ______ 139.9 _____ 275.7 ______________51 _________ 52

Gurteen _______ 148.4 _____ 291.4 _____________ 51 _________ 52

Cork __________ 183.1 _____ 338.8 _____________ 54 _________ 55

Moorepark _____ 164.1 _____ 285.1 ______________57 _________ 58

Shannon _______ 181.3 _____ 282.5 _____________ 64 _________ 65

The gradient west and north of this dry zone is fairly tight, Mountdillon is at 285.1 mm (normal 306.1, so about 93%), and Ballyhaise has reached 255.0 mm (normal 291.8) so about 87% there). Athenry as well as Valentia also somewhat dry mainly due to the June drought, both now running about 75% of normal overall with most of the deficit in June. Malin Head is only slightly below its four-month average. Belmullet is similar with about 93% of normal for the period.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,108 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Maybe if the 2 billion euro + all the bonuses they were getting was used to repair the pipes instead of charging people already burdened down by high tax rates it could have been fixed..

I must point out, the main opposition was from people who'd have never paid anyway, and aren't burdened down by any sort of tax rate, well perhaps the tax on tobacco.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭appledrop

Extending the hose pipe ban is a joke. Wait + see we will probably get the wettest Sep or Oct now. In fairness no one needs to use the hose pipes because plenty of rain in gardens now! A 3 month hose ban in a country that gets as much rain over the year as we do is an absolute joke. Yes we know we had the drought for few weeks but rain was above average in Dublin for March + April. There is enough water if they coped on + fixed the leaks + stored it properly.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    I must point out, the main opposition was from people who'd have never paid anyway, and aren't burdened down by any sort of tax rate, well perhaps the tax on tobacco.

I mean considering my family, all of which are over 18 so would have to be paying the 'adult' rate for them. And I can assure you, my family is burdened down by tax.. the pay for everything no grant family type situation 2 in University with fees. Lots of people like that too.

Sorry just had to reply to that.

As for water storage, we need more resovoirs in the cities / drought prone areas, which hopefully will be fastracked follow this. Unsure though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Don't be planting such revolutionary ideas in peoples heads;)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,709 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

These are current total rainfalls May through August for various locations....

84.6mm for same period in Dublin 16.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,005 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I can barely remember a day in August without rain up here in Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

JCX BXC wrote: »

We are already paying for water though tax. An additional tax is just that, and is nothing more than an Irish solution to an Irish problem. We also pay an annual household tax, why? And why is the cost of living in this country one the highest in the world (No.7 according to latest figures) with a health service that is amongst the worst in Europe, despite the fact that our leaders are some of the highest paid (by the taxpayer) in the EU?

But in true Irish style, always better to burden the plebeians with extra tax to maintain the lifestyles of gombeen charlatans in suits than the big corps, isn't it?

http://www.euronews.com/2017/08/16/ireland-refuses-to-collect-commissions-13-billion-tax-bill-from-apple

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/ireland-to-fight-proposed-eu-digital-tax-on-internet-giants-1.3312834

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Maybe there's some other thread for this crap?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

MJohnston wrote: »

Apologies... I knew my statement wouldn't go unanswered....

Go make one then, this one is mine. :P

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    We are already paying for water though tax. An additional tax is just that, and is nothing more than an Irish solution to an Irish problem.

You could make the same argument about electricity, too. Just like electricity, the charges exist to prevent overuse. Drinking water isn't free, it's needs to be purified before it's drinkable, which requires factories and employees, just like the way producing electricity needs power plants and employees.

And why is the cost of living in this country one the highest in the world (No.7 according to latest figures) with a health service that is amongst the worst in Europe, despite the fact that our leaders are some of the highest paid (by the taxpayer) in the EU?

But in true Irish style, always better to burden the plebeians with extra tax to maintain the lifestyles of gombeen charlatans in suits than the big corps, isn't it?

http://www.euronews.com/2017/08/16/ireland-refuses-to-collect-commissions-13-billion-tax-bill-from-apple

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/ireland-to-fight-proposed-eu-digital-tax-on-internet-giants-1.3312834

Those companies bring jobs and they'll leave for another tax heaven if we increased our corporation tax. I'm more concerned about immigrants on rent allowance, with the worst housing crisis in the history of this state, you'd think we'd cut off some the dead weight. If Ireland brings in universal healthcare, we'll have even more freeloaders coming here, especially after Britain kicks theirs out next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

Do we need average rainfall to have no soil moisture deficits and no water shortages or does "average" provide a lot of surplus ?

Or, if rainfall remains below average is it still possible to replenish reserves?
    "The first four weeks of August have seen some periods of rainfall nationally," the utility said in a statement.

"In the north and west of the country, this has resulted in increased flows in rivers [and] some recovery in lake levels.

"In these areas, in particular, Irish Water has been able to scale back the emergency measures put in place during July, with the majority of water supplies working normally."

"Very critical"
    It said supply in the south of the country remains "very critical" - especially in Crok, Limerick and parts of Kerry.

"Hydrological reports show water levels to be stable or falling, despite recent rainfall," said the utility.

It said conservation by households in the Greater Dublin Area has managed to contain usage - however, levels in the Poulaphouca reservoir are still dropping, albeit at a slower rate.

Autumn demand
    The utility said there is now a reasonable prospect it will be able to meet the region's demand throughout the autumn, "with a continued conservation effort."

It warned that if September and October prove to be unusually dry, the region will be faced with minimum reserve levels.

"At this stage, levels will be at historic low levels going into the winter," said the utility. "We will be anxiously watching the lake recovery to ensure that we enter 2019 with a full reserve."

"Given the critical reliance of over 1.6 million people and the region’s businesses on these resources, we believe that the urgent focus on water conservation will be needed through the coming months."

The Water Conservation Order bans the use of water drawn through a hosepipe or similar apparatus for a range of purposes.

https://www.newstalk.com/Irish-Water-extends-hosepipe-ban-across-16-counties-

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,709 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

A very dry summer here in Dublin 16.

Assuming no rain this evening (...does not look likely...), my summer rainfall total (Jun-Jul-Aug) for 2018 is 69.0mm

For comparison, looked back at my records to 2010. Summer rainfall totals (for Dublin 16) back to 2010....

2017 167.2mm
    2016 192.0mm
    2015 156.9mm
    2014 238.0mm
    2013 96.6mm
    2012 428.1mm
    2011 193.2mm
    2010 171.6mm

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 145 ✭✭BliainanAir

With the first 10 days of September looking dry, and if the month was to continue in this vein we'd be looking at drought restrictions again in the south and east.

Farmers who have used winter fodder already and planning late cuts of silage could be in a bit of bother. Of course the days will be shorter and no real intense heat so you'd hope grass growth wouldn't be as restricted, heavy dewfall too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Looks like it's the 3rd driest summer on record for Dublin Airport then.

sryanbruen might confirm (based on a previous post of his), but with 103.7mm of rain, I believe this is the driest summer on record at Cork Airport.

Previous record he mentioned was 1995 with 114.0mm.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,512 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

sryanbruen might confirm (based on a previous post of his), but with 103.7mm of rain, I believe this is the driest summer on record at Cork Airport.

Previous record he mentioned was 1995 with 114.0mm.

Yes, with records going back to 1962, 2018 is Cork Airport's driest Summer on record.

I have attached the excel file of every Summer rainfall for Cork Airport from 1962 to 2018 so you can see for yourself.

Data comes from Met Éireann.

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Yes, with records going back to 1962, 2018 is Cork Airport's driest Summer on record.

I have attached the excel file of every Summer rainfall for Cork Airport from 1962 to 2018 so you can see for yourself.

Data comes from Met Éireann.

Another record broken, h'on Cork!

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

The grass is back to green again around west Cork with a couple of weeks but the ground is still bone dry and there is lots of well's going dry still.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

There is still a patch of brown grass in the back garden but it's under the boughs of a tree so it probably didn't get wetted by any of the rain that has fallen.

Here's a table showing the monthly summer 2018 rain totals and percentages at all of the reporting Met Eireann stations. List is ordered by wettest to driest for the whole season.

bdlQofk.png

Eolas ó Met Éireann.

New Moon

Wow, only 1 station essentially at-average. I'd love to see another column with driest summers on record - was Cork the only record breaker?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

arctictree wrote: »
    The levels of water in the roundwood reservoirs are generally 3 or 4 months behind the weather. Winter 2017 was very dry and we didnt get enough rain to replenish the reservoirs so they stayed low. It took until Jan 2018 for the levels to be back up to full. I expect the water levels to not drop low until August.

Very good call... levels currently very low. (If you click into the photos of the tweet below, you can see the difference from July to now)

https://twitter.com/IrelandSkycam/status/1036967396412719104

Advertisement