Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social contradiction on how we treat animals

Options

Comments

The fact remains.

While we afford some animals different treatment to others, because of the society we live in, it is a contradiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,968 ✭✭✭emaherx

The fact remains.

While we afford some animals different treatment to others, because of the society we live in, it is a contradiction.

The man who treats his cow like he would his dog is in for a shock when she jumps up on his lap and licks him in the face.

Yes we treat animals differently but there is no contradiction.

Livestock make poor pets.
    Small carnivores make poor food.

Some animals can be food or pets with zero contradiction like rabbits.

To imprison and torture intelligent, highly social and very cute pigs yet spend lavishly on equally intelligent, highly social and very cute dogs is a social contradiction.

If dogs were treated like pigs I can’t imagine the outcry. Probably similar to the outcry against South Korea, China and Vietnam.

If you call yourself an animal lover you should afford the time and effort to watch this short video. Otherwise maybe you should start calling yourself a ‘dog lover’ or ‘cat lover’ but please don’t be a liar and tell people you love animals.

https://youtu.be/THGrMA-l8TE

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

but dogs are dogs and pigs are pigs. Treating a dog like a pig would be cruel just as treating a pig as a dog would be cruel.

for the giggles i googled social contradiction...it results in mainly philosophy essays. I'm too rational to deal with i squares

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

The fact remains. While we afford some animals different treatment to others, because of the society we live in, it is a contradiction.

The only contradiction is that which is in your head. Once again the comments miss the essential point that animals are as different from each other as we as a species are different to them. Yes we are all 'animals' but all species are also inherently different. A pig does not equal a dog or vice versa or a human or a hippopotamus or an orangutan. That is how it is outside Disneyland.

If the human race vanished tomorrow there would still be killing, there still would be meat eating, there still would even still be what some vegans describe as 'wild animal suffering' (sic). Animals woud be concieved - be born - live and die. The only difference is that a small proportion of one species wouldn't be there to pontificate about it ad nauseum and attempt to play god...

Talking of contradictions -Why is PETA - a vegan orientated organisation who are violently against animal farming - kidnapping and slaughtering people's companion animals and pets?

Warning - disturbing content.
    https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_59e78243e4b0e60c4aa36711

As a vegan - are you also outraged about this no?

• Advertisement

ganmo wrote: »
    in some jurisdictions the recorder is required to provide statements to accompany the video as evidence.
    there was recently a video in england but when the authorities asked the the individual who recorded it to come forward...they didn't obviously didn't care too much

Apologies for the late replies btw ;)

Was it this one you were thinking by any chance?

https://www.rspcaassured.org.uk/land-of-hope-and-glory-film
    We take all animal welfare complaints extremely seriously and we were not contacted by the filmmakers prior to the broadcast of this film so we haven’t yet been able to investigate.
    We are urging them to send us the names and addresses of all these farms and abattoirs - whether they are members of RSPCA Assured or another farm assurance scheme - as soon as possible so we can look into their allegations.
    It is however always difficult looking into historic complaints of poor welfare...

The contradiction here is to use such video footage for promotion but to fail to report same which is inexcusable imo.

To imprison and torture intelligent, highly social and very cute pigs yet spend lavishly on equally intelligent, highly social and very cute dogs is a social contradiction.

If dogs were treated like pigs I can’t imagine the outcry. Probably similar to the outcry against South Korea, China and Vietnam.

If you call yourself an animal lover you should afford the time and effort to watch this short video. Otherwise maybe you should start calling yourself a ‘dog lover’ or ‘cat lover’ but please don’t be a liar and tell people you love animals.

https://youtu.be/THGrMA-l8TE

570 million farms on planet Earth. A few videos from the internet showing awful conditions is hardly representative.

Warning video does not meet vegan propaganda standards!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HY84l3d0Z3o

Tortured cattle don't stand around when someone walks through them.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VMYSBMZyWmE

Here's some nice footage and no contradictions! Happy cows doing what they do naturally. The ladies are hanging out with their mates and even have the attention of a good looking bull ...

You’re a farmer calling real footage of how animals are treated propaganda.

You guys must really be afraid of what the future holds to spend so much time in this forum.

The financial fear you guys have should actually make me feel better about how maybe things are going.

• Advertisement

You guys must really be afraid of what the future holds to spend so much time in this forum.

The financial fear you guys have should actually make me feel better about how maybe things are going.

You have seen footage from what percentage of 570,000,000 farms?

We can all agree that the footage is real and the images are disturbing, but sugesting this is how all farms are run is nothing short of a lie.

I can find footage of completely crazy Vegans and there is plenty but I wouldn't be so bold as to say it's representative of Vegans.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭irelandrover

There are also a lot of videos out there that show the mistreatment of "pet" animals so the videos you posted show no real contradiction on how animals are treated.

Biased and hand picked extreme footage is propaganda Klopp.

'You guys' (sic) keep repeating the same rubbish all the time. I guess you must be really afraid of the people finding out exactly why you keep posting this rubbish on Boards. If its not propaganda as you claim - is it monetization perhaps?

Why the need to express that you are getting off posting this this kind of stuff and that you like to think of others doing badly? That type of comment comes across as a bit psychopathic tbh

propaganda doesn't have to be false, it misrepresents and misleads to promote a point of view which clearly you are doing quiet well

• Registered Users Posts: 11,193 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

That last sentance reveals a lot about the Vegan mindset.
    Like someone going down to the Dell factory when its closure was announced, waving an Apple device at the workers....
    But then it sems that, as with all belief systems, the need to divide people into "righteous" and "unwanted" is hard to suppress.

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    That last sentance reveals a lot about the Vegan mindset.
    Like someone going down to the Dell factory when its closure was announced, waving an Apple device at the workers....
    But then it sems that, as with all belief systems, the need to divide people into "righteous" and "unwanted" is hard to suppress.

The nice thing about that analogy is Dell (everyone who is not a vegan) is doing very well globally including Limerick(!) and that some Apples (vegans) remain a tiny minority and are still waving their multimedia devices in other peoples faces ....

¯\_(ツ)_/ ¯. 

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭davidjtaylor

I wrote this a few days ago:
    Nekarsulm, a story; you might have seen I mentioned this on the apples thread recently.

I had arthritic pains in my fingers (I put it down to decades of playing music) over the last 12-18 months or so. Not enough to stop me playing but uncomfortable.

This year, after the bumper crop of apples, I've been juicing them, drinking some of the juice, freezing some, making jam.

Within a couple of days of starting to drink the juice, my hands went pain-free and have stayed that way. I drink a glass every morning, the equivalent of eating 6 or 7 apples. Maybe it should be "half-a-dozen apples a day keeps the doctor away". :)

I don't have an explanation for it but the juice has all the crud and crap in it and it's obviously not pasteurised or filtered. It's a precursor to apple cider vinegar I suppose, with the mother and father in it!

There doesn't seem to be any other cause of the pain going - it's too coincidental. What will happen in the long run I don't know. I'll find out when I run out of apples/juice. For now, I feel zingy.

I just read that there was an experiment where people ate a teaspoon of dried apple peel per day and they reported an overall reduction in pain and increase in mobility.

It wasn't a full-blown study with controls, so there was only an 'association' between the consumption and result. Nonetheless, it's interesting and it may have a bearing on my experience.

Sorry if this is out of topic. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,193 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

I wrote this a few days ago:

I just read that there was an experiment where people ate a teaspoon of dried apple peel per day and they reported an overall reduction in pain and increase in mobility.

It wasn't a full-blown study with controls, so there was only an 'association' between the consumption and result. Nonetheless, it's interesting and it may have a bearing on my experience.

Sorry if this is out of topic. :cool:

Very interesting, and well worth trying.
    It couldn't do you any harm anyway!

Might add it to the Glucosamine I take for the knees!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

You can bury and mourn for a dead animal, then eat a dead animal next door all in the one trip.

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    You can bury and mourn for a dead animal, then eat a dead animal next door all in the one trip.

How many of the 100 people that died in Ireland today are you mourning?
    Grief is about your loss of a personal connection, so in order to mourn you first have to have a connection to what died

• Advertisement

Sigh ..... I really don't know if such comments are deliberatly misleading or just stupid tbh

One is raised for human consumption and produced to specific human food grade standards.

The other is not.

Unless of course you are in certain countries where food standards don't exist or are not enforced and anything goes....

Fake vegetables anyone?

http://m.gdnonline.com/details.html?id=413568&title=Police-bust-illegal-trade-of-fake-food-products

• Registered Users Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Christ. You can be sure anyone who comes out with a statement like that has never lost or mourned for anybody they loved.

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Christ. You can be sure anyone who comes out with a statement like that has never lost or mourned for anybody they loved.

Baloney.

I’ve buried family members and I agree 100% with that statement.

What you ‘can be sure’ is that some people don’t need to be directly effected by something to understand it.

That’s called empathy.

Baloney.
    I’ve buried family members and I agree 100% with that statement. What you ‘can be sure’ is that some people don’t need to be directly effected by something to understand it.
    That’s called empathy.

Interesting that you refer to other people's opinions as 'baloney'. What you can be sure is there are certainly those who make use of emotion to try and push an agenda. That's the contradiction

A dog fed on a diet of hamburgers and was weighed at 6 stone when rescued by the rspca.

A fundraiser exceeded its target by 338%.

The dog was put on a strict diet and the money was used for medicine, vet bills and possibly a tummy tuck to remove excess skin.

The leftover money can be used to treat the dogs diabetes for the rest of its life.

Hattie the Fatty half the size and hungry for a home http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-45691914

A dog fed on a diet of hamburgers and was weighed at 6 stone when rescued by the rspca. A fundraiser exceeded its target by 338%.
    The dog was put on a strict diet and the money was use for medicine, vet bills and possibly a tummy tuck to remove excess skin.
    The leftover money can be used to treat the dogs diabetes for the rest of its life.
    Hattie the Fatty half the size and hungry for a home http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-45691914

Lol - where's the contradiction? If you mean that restrictive diets can be abused - then I don't think anyone would disagree
    Restricted Diet

One of the biggest dangers of veganism is that the restricted diet may cause malnutrition. This isn't unique to veganism; any restrictive diet can lead to a lack of important nutrients. The main nutrients that can be lacking in a vegan diet include vitamin B12, vitamin D, calcium, iodine and omega-3 fatty acids. These deficiencies can cause ailments such as anemia and osteomalacia, a condition that damages bones. In children these deficiencies can result in rickets and other potentially serious illnesses.

While there are valid concerns, with a little extra care a vegan can receive all the necessary nutrients that are important for a healthy body. 

See: https://vegetarian.lovetoknow.com/Dangers_of_Veganism

The same goes for some idiot only feeding a dog fast food of course....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Story from the UK today, "This guy set up a petition on the street to get people to legalize eating dog meat. After a large mob of outraged citizens gathered he began to hand out vegan material."

8XZr2gA.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Story from the UK today, "This guy set up a petition on the street to get people to legalize eating dog meat. After a large mob of outraged citizens gathered he began to hand out vegan material."

8XZr2gA.jpg

I saw that on reddit this morn alright.

8XZr2gA.jpg

Be funny if he converted more people to dog meat than veganism!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,152 ✭✭✭✭Base price

8XZr2gA.jpg
    Ah, some people eat dog meat, others eat rat, cat, horse, beef, pork, insects, grubs etc..

I'm tolerant of other peoples cultures. I may not consume some of the foods that they eat but I don't castigate them for doing so.

Advertisement