Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork - BusConnects

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I dont think "curb your enthusiasm" was suggesting that the macroom bypass had anything to do with bus connects -

But more a constant "we'll just do this next road project and then get serious about public transport " type attitude,

And we all want that little improvement on the little bit of road we use - plus ,obviously ,when we become mainly car users we're not public transport users and are unlikely to "go back" to using public transport.. ( unless its far cheaper,quicker+ more reliable than private cars )

So from a politicans view , a public transport project that inconvieniences locals car drivers,to provide service to possibly non vocal non voters is always a worse bet than " we'll upgrade this junction "

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭cantalach

I’m mentally disengaging from the BusConnects project now. Reading residents’ submissions and councillors’ statements doesn’t do me any good. The complete watering down of the project, to the point that it is now a whole lot of nothing, is a terrible indictment of where we are as a society and of our leaders’ ability to effect meaningful change.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭BagofWeed

Cork gets what Cork deserves it's a kip bereft of innovation or progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Harsh ,- probably true but still harsh -

Anything that councils and councillors / representatives can lean on is always going to get watered down to nothing - no matter how much its in public interest -

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Cork GAA come out against Busconnects lol, and I thought things were bad in Dublin, they're doing their best to stop Busconnects down yonder

Help Us Save Beaumont Quarry - Cork Nature Network

These people are actually sick altogether. This city will never progress. We should have a protest outside these peoples houses.

STC J - Mahon to City | National Transport Authority Consultation Portal

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I will say, it is actually a lovely little park. Probably one of the most unique I've ever seen in Ireland. It is full of wildflowers, butterflies, native trees and unique scenery.

It isn't just your usual crappy field or city park of just some grass, etc. which I wouldn't be bothered with.

Having said that, the impact to the park seems to be very light, just a dozen trees on the edge of the park, mostly relatively young trees, not the thicker ones behind them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭cantalach

Those submissions about the quarry are unreal, talking about “wrecking” the amenity, etc. The impact to the quarry is absolutely minimal. The plan proposes to CPO a tiny strip of land - looks about 2.5 metres wide - along the western perimeter of the quarry. They would fell about 12 trees but plant 15, if I’m counting correctly. This will make space for a segregated 2-way cycle track on that side of the road, and a bus lane on the other side of the road. The stuff about doing it to create parking spaces is disingenuous because the parking spaces seem to be accommodated entirely within the tightened apex of the turn from Churchyard Lane to Boreenmanna Road. The reality is that the parking spaces are a necessary bone being thrown to the GAA and IRFU.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

There is an archway proposed to go through an old wall in Ballincollig, sadly mis information means people think it's being knocked but the proposal is to build in an archway for pedestrians.

What's even funnier is the 2 huge archways for cars only 3m around the corner and an existing pedestrian archway, which I think adds character.

I think people should be allowed voice opposition but it should be truthful and not spreading lies as no wonder nothing gets done.

See here where the petition to save it, makes it sound like it's being removed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭crayon80

God forbid they let the truth get in the way of a good nimbyism.

There's a report a policy button. Will we give it a go? 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Rulmeq

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭DylanQuestion

Plus the few trees being felled are mostly dying ash and non native (I think) horse chestnut and sycamore. Not a huge loss

Anyone here remember the Bin Laden mural that was roughly where the Aldi is now ? I'm talking 20 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭crayon80

If anyone hasn't a submission in already please do - the deadline is tomorrow night. The submissions so far make for depressing reading in the main.

So many going on about that wall, it's hilarious. If the NTA just disregarded the crazy bleating of the Nimbys it'd be something. I mean there was far more destruction of the barracks walls etc before this when they built Tesco and the rest out there. But I'm sure all these people boycott tesco too, its not just bus & cycle lanes they protest against 🙄 . Plus you'd think the quarry is the greatest opportunity ever for biodiversity.

What is wrong with people?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Schorpio

The issue with this (and virtually all public consultations) is that people are FAR more likely to submit something they are opposed too. There is something in human nature that means we are much less likely to go to the effort of writing a submission if we are in favour or indifferent. However, that isn't accounted for in the process.

Then there is the other issue that opposition groups are also much more likely to go door-knocking and scaremongering.

Good ol' drugs get a mention here.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,064 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

There's nimbys everywhere but Ballincollig seems to have a particularly active bunch. Very strange what's going on out there what with greenways being blocked and the "save our right hand turns" rubbish.

Advertisement